LL PW50 legal engine mods?

Related:
Create New Tag

2/3/2020 1:10 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/4/2020 7:12 AM

What are the do's and don'ts ?
Does anyone have a clear list of the AMA rules for the PW?

Can you run aftermarket bearing? Not ceramic.
SKF is the best, can anyone confirm or deny?
SKF part numbers?

Does the extra HP Pro Flow claims just come from less friction(better bearings)?

I figure if I can spend a few hundred dollars on bearings and get some much needed HP it's worth it.

|

2/3/2020 1:11 PM

MotoDad stage 1 achieved. 😂

|

The irish gave the Scots the bagpipes as a joke, they still haven't got it.

MXdN 2013!

2/3/2020 1:16 PM

And here we go

|

2/3/2020 1:17 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/3/2020 1:18 PM

This is a joke right

Please tell me this is a joke

|

2/3/2020 1:28 PM

MXOHIOGUY wrote:

SKF part numbers?

Does the extra HP Pro Flow claims just come from less friction(better bearings)?

I figure if I can spend a few hundred dollars on bearings and get some much needed HP it's worth it.

Yeah, because your kid will be the next Ricky Carmichael if you just get him a little more HP. Its guys like you that ruin the sport.

|

Ed Johnson

2/3/2020 1:37 PM

zehn wrote:

This is a joke right

It's such a joke that Pro FLow buys 30-40 new PW50s to build and sell every year... Oh yea at a $3400 price tag.

Plus I bet he probably builds another 50+ throughout the year for $900-$1800.

So you're questioning me whether it's a joke or not because I want to spend a few hundred dollars on bearings so my son is on the same level as everyone else???

|

2/3/2020 1:40 PM

Who makes best A-kit suspension for PW50s?

|

- Filthy Euro
- Silly prankster
- Life-long Zook fan
- Rooting for all privateers on this rotating ball of carbon, hydrogen, silicon and poop

2/3/2020 1:46 PM

Seriously. And what does it take to change the rings? $17 and 16 minutes? Wait, no it's more like 11 minutes. laughing

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

2/3/2020 1:52 PM

Hey man, you have every right in the world to spend however much money you want on whatever you want for your son's PW50.

Just don't expect to come to Vital with this kind of question and not have people question the sanity or motive of your reasoning.

|

2/3/2020 1:54 PM

I always heard that .080" overbores were legal in the big bike stock classes back in the 90s.

|

2/3/2020 1:54 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/3/2020 1:56 PM

lostboy819 wrote:

Yeah, because your kid will be the next Ricky Carmichael if you just get him a little more HP. Its guys like you that ruin the sport.

Please explain how so ? Because I want my son to have a competitive bike if he makes it to LL.
1hp or a .5 on a pw is a huge advantage.

He probably won't be a top pro,, but guess what ?? More pros have started their career on a PW at Loretta's than any other bike made... I also guarantee 100% of their dads wanted every little advantage they could get..

|

2/3/2020 1:59 PM

I see a lot of tracks also running a class for the stacyc bikes. That means mini dad is now into it for.
Stacyc class
Shaft class
50cc age class
50cc open

As a recovering mini dad.........l say, relax just give jr a bike to ride and enjoy the 50 class while you can.
If Jr stays in the sport you will have plenty of time to stress mod motors in the future. For now enjoy the fact that all you need to go racing is a gallon of pump gas and a kid.

|

2/3/2020 2:00 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/3/2020 2:02 PM

MXOHIOGUY wrote:

SKF part numbers?

lostboy819 wrote:

MXOHIOGUY wrote:

Please explain how so ? Because I want my son to have a competitive bike if he makes it to LL.

He probably won't be a top pro,, but guess what ?? More pros have started their career on a PW at Loretta's than any other bike made... I also guarantee 100% of their dads wanted every little advantage they could get..

Ain't nobody winning in that class because of the bike.

Last year, entire top of field was protested by real-life bad Motodad stereotype. No shock: Fastest kids won. Don't worry, there will be plenty more chances to blow a gasket over what the other kids are running after shaft-drive.

|

2/3/2020 2:08 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/4/2020 5:30 PM

Dirty Points wrote:

Last year, entire top of field was protested by real-life bad Motodad stereotype. No shock: Fastest kids won. Don't worry, there will be plenty more chances to blow a gasket over what the other kids are running after shaft-drive.

Might want to check your facts, top 3 bikes were built by Pro Flo, Pretty sure half the top 10 were built by Pro Flo. The guy who protested everyone last year was the only one who was actually cheating.

|

2/3/2020 2:09 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/3/2020 2:13 PM

MXOHIOGUY wrote:

Dirty Points wrote:

49weasel wrote:

Might want to check your facts, top 3 bikes were built by Pro Flo, Pretty sure half the top 10 were built by Pro Flo. The guy who protested everyone last year was the only one who was actually cheating.

And the other half were not built by pro flo. The fact that the protester was the one cheating is further proof that the bike won't get you on the box.

I am not surprised at all that a bunch of Moto Dads dumped money into juniors p-dub. My contention is that: A. It probably didn't effect results B. The results don't even matter as much as just learning to compete in this age group.

|

2/3/2020 3:03 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/3/2020 3:05 PM

I say contact pro flo. The return on investment can be positive (assuming you don't mind taking the bike home in boxes and reassembling).
Not sure how much this kid's dad has in the engine, but that is a good spread of cash and one happy kid

Photo
Bryson Howell, 2019 Loretta Lynn 2nd place 51cc shaft drive class

|

2/3/2020 3:43 PM

I belive it would be a better investment to do whatever it takes to get your kid to where he can ride anytime he wants. It could be a second pw50, a backyard track, just anything that can translate into more seat time (anything but making your kid ride, that’s a fast track for your kid to hate riding).

|

2/3/2020 3:59 PM

zehn wrote:

This is a joke right

MXOHIOGUY wrote:

It's such a joke that Pro FLow buys 30-40 new PW50s to build and sell every year... Oh yea at a $3400 price tag.

Plus I bet he probably builds another 50+ throughout the year for $900-$1800.

So you're questioning me whether it's a joke or not because I want to spend a few hundred dollars on bearings so my son is on the same level as everyone else???

Good for you to do what it takes, why in the world would you run all of the area and regional qualifiers, only to show up at Lorettas knowing kids are on better equipment. It's super important to race the fastest kids in the country as often as possible, that means Freestone, Mini O's, World Mini, Ponca, etc. every single year. Got to be committed and got to have good equipment. Go get a few of the Pro Flow's, and better already have him on the cobra/ktm too, and to piss people off even more, get a 40' funhauler to haul 50cc bikes to the races.

|

2/3/2020 4:04 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/3/2020 4:05 PM

Why the hell would anyone want to spend the time and money to mod a PW50?? Seriously, I just don't understand it.

Like someone else said it is your money and you can spend it how you want, but shit guys, kids on PW's are usually between 3-6 years old. Keep it fun for them and save the money and the big competitive racing thing until junior gets to 65's at the earliest.

|

2017 RMZ450
2005 YZ250-sold :,(
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

80% of the time it works every time
IG @hammerfamily_4 & @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

2/3/2020 4:12 PM

It seems a lot of people in this thread had shit dad's.

Good on you for giving your boy the tools to have a go and supporting him.

|

2/3/2020 4:27 PM

Y’all complaining on someone spending $1200 to get the bike the best it can be legally?

I don’t see you complaining when a old vet rider or beginner rider waste $1,000 on a exhaust system that does nothing for them but looks cool.

Oh ya, my pro flo pw50 will be here this week!

|

2/3/2020 4:29 PM

This is why we need a mini dad section.

|

2/3/2020 5:12 PM

Blue printing the engine to the edge of stock specs makes the power. The bearings just free up the friction losses.

|

2/3/2020 5:14 PM

Holy some people go crazy in America with the PWs shit that's next level committment for a kid who will spend maybe a year on it

|

2/3/2020 5:27 PM

mikec265 wrote:

This is why we need a mini dad section.

Why? So you guys don't go ape-spit on them?

It's okay to not post in threads where you have no dog in the fight, or no interest in the topic.

|

2/3/2020 5:54 PM

Once my kid is off the Stacyc and onto a PW you are damn right he’s getting the best PW we can put together for him. If it’s legal run it.

Magically vitards are into fun and not racing/results.

|

2/3/2020 5:56 PM

Funny people giving this guy shit about trying to get his son a competitive bike, when you have vet riders talking about their A-kit suspension who can barely get out of 2nd gear.

|

2/3/2020 6:21 PM

We need more of this topic and less pro rider bash threads. We need kids, moms and dads in the sport and nothing beats chasing horsepower or trying to get a legal advantage for a race over creative thinking or looking for ways to better the bike with whats supposed to be a community of other enthusiasts.

|

2/3/2020 6:23 PM

Racer_Twentynine wrote:

I see a lot of tracks also running a class for the stacyc bikes. That means mini dad is now into it for.
Stacyc class
Shaft class
50cc age class
50cc open

As a recovering mini dad.........l say, relax just give jr a bike to ride and enjoy the 50 class while you can.
If Jr stays in the sport you will have plenty of time to stress mod motors in the future. For now enjoy the fact that all you need to go racing is a gallon of pump gas and a kid.

Amen brother.

|

2/3/2020 6:53 PM

My son made it to regionals and top 7 bikes were wheelieing out of corners frames were streteched and seat height didnt remain stock, also foot peg mounts were re-located on the frame, some other dads and i grabbed ref moto 2 and asked how they are getting away with the obvious changes and his response was “its moto2 already if you didnt have a chance first moto you dont stand one now good luck guys” said this with a smile on his face. This was at redbud.

Good luck with your journey!

|