LIVE: North West 200 (Real Road Racing)

MXMattii
Edited Date/Time 5/16/2016 5:04am

In Northern Ireland you have the Real Road Racing series with the North West 200. This are races held on public roads on an street circuits. Crazy as fuck, but cool to watch! BBC is now streaming it all live and for free!

|
pmcc
5/12/2016 10:01am
Dads away up to this tonight. normally some great racing, the slip streaming gets crazy Woohoo
Kawisrok
5/12/2016 10:37am
I used to race for a club called WMRRA and OMRRA in Wash and Oregon and one of the circuits we ran was in Hoquiam along the industrial areas and it was a true street race. It was ALWAYS my favorite race of the season, man I miss those days!
Cygnus
5/12/2016 11:04am
Steamboat springs road races were some of my best races. I loved to race the streets of steamboat. Thanks
MXMattii
5/12/2016 12:17pm
Damn every crash looks so ugly on an public road track. Crash ended the Supertwins race and also the day. Lets hope Saturday brings no crashes and intens racing!

The Shop

pmcc
5/12/2016 12:46pm Edited Date/Time 5/12/2016 12:46pm
Looks like Farquhar got hit in the legs , which was as lucky as he could get in the situation. Cooper was about to land on his head and that was at some speed. Hope both aren't too seriously hurt
pmcc
5/12/2016 12:52pm
Seen a tweet saying neither have life threatening injuries
Walter
5/12/2016 12:52pm
MAV TV shows most of these races, and the Isle of Man races, a bit later in the year on a delayed basis.

Pretty scary stuff when your run off is a stone wall...
Canadad
5/12/2016 1:15pm
Attended this event last year...a must item on any biker's bucket list. Unlike the Isle of Man, it is true side by side racing at 185+MPH "between the hedges". Looks like great weather this year, let's hope they stay rubber side down and it's a safe event for all.
Bearuno
5/13/2016 9:57am
Cooper's and Farquhar's prang looked bloody frightening. I hope they both recover well.

I love Real Roads Racing, but it's very unforgiving. The North West Triangle, I think, has the highest speeds of any race circuit in the World. On, Public Roads.
brimx153
5/13/2016 12:48pm
Bearuno wrote:
Cooper's and Farquhar's prang looked bloody frightening. I hope they both recover well. I love Real Roads Racing, but it's very unforgiving. The North West Triangle...
Cooper's and Farquhar's prang looked bloody frightening. I hope they both recover well.

I love Real Roads Racing, but it's very unforgiving. The North West Triangle, I think, has the highest speeds of any race circuit in the World. On, Public Roads.
Ulster Grand prix is faster .hope Ryan pulls through ,From what i hear its not looking good tho
MXMattii
5/13/2016 3:06pm
I love it because of the fact that racers like Hillier, Michael and William Dunlop, Ian Hutchinson, new kid Malachi Mitchell-Thomas, old gun John McGuinness and others are trowing there bikes around like we see Valentino Rossi and Marc Marquez do. But those last mentioned know that when they crash they have sand and grass as escape route, and those road racers have no escape route and they go just as fast and that is just crazy! Last year at the TT of Man we saw John McGuinness slide his CBR into the corners!

But when I see a crash like yesterday mine stomach twists around, because it's part of the racing and the zero margin for error gives this discipline of racing an extra dimension, but you never wanna see those riders go down and hurt them self or even worse.

Tomorrow the live stream on the BBC Website starts at 10 o'clock till 6 o'clock British Time. That is from 11.00 - 17.00 in Brussel/CET time and If I'm not mistaken 05.00 AM - 11.00 AM EST. They will race 6 races.

For everyone who likes this, the film 'ROAD' about the Dunlop family is really great!

This is by the way the latest news about Ryan Farquhar. :: NW200: Farquhar 'making good progress' says KMR team
Bearuno
5/13/2016 8:41pm
The Road is magnificent, but, with an incredible sadness lurking in the background throughout.

It shows a brief glimpse of Robert Dunlops fatal crash, and shows much of his struggles with injury. I just received the DVD, The Robert Dunlop Story, but have yet to watch it. Also, Michael Dunlop - A Profile

I so hope that Michael and William Dunlop, Roberts sons, get to retire, when they want, and not depart life as many of the Dunlop clan have. Michael Dunlop is mindboggling / frightening to watch at the IOM, pushing it like a short circuits rider - but, you could say that of all of the top riders now.

I go to the IOM each year, for many years now - though, I'm swapping over to the Classic / Manx GP this year. I have an extensive collection of IOM / Irish Real Roads videos / DVDs and books, and, throughout them all, is the loss of so many of the riders. But, you could say that of so many Motorcycle - well, any Sport / Life reference materials - No one gets out of life alive.

Some campaign to ban the IOM / Real Roads Racing. Never , I hope.

Yes, many have passed away doing it / been injured, but, in a world of statistics / actuaries, per mile ridden / raced, it is safer than many sports. Sounds crass to note that, but often, the best way to defeat those that want to save us from ourselves, is to use their tactics of numbers and statistics. Fuck them all, the people that want to wrap us all in cotton wool.

Nothing compares to Real Roads Racing.

Nothing.

Do whatever you can, to get to the IOM / Ireland for some Real Roads Racing. It's something far better than sitting in a Stadium with a bunch of 'fans', watching the bouncing bikes. And, even better than real Motocross itself - and that, is saying something
Sidecar
5/13/2016 11:12pm
Bearuno wrote:
Cooper's and Farquhar's prang looked bloody frightening. I hope they both recover well. I love Real Roads Racing, but it's very unforgiving. The North West Triangle...

Any word on how they are doing?
AK74
5/14/2016 12:38am
Sidecar wrote:
From crash.net:

Ryan Farquhar's KMR Kawasaki team has issue a positive update on his condition and confirmed that the team will race as planned at the North West 200 on Saturday.

Farquhar sustained chest and pelvic injuries after coming off in Thursday's Supertwins race and was flown to hospital in Belfast by a police helicopter, where his condition was later described as 'seriously ill'.

However, on Friday afternoon, the team statement painted a more positive picture.

“Following on from an incident in last night's Supertwin race at the International North West 200 involving team owner Ryan Farquhar, KMR Kawasaki have today (2.30pm) announced that they intend to compete in tomorrow's Supertwin race as scheduled,” the statement said.

“Farquhar was leading Thursday evening's race when he crashed at Dhu Varren on the third lap, later being taken to the Royal Victoria Hospital, Belfast.

“The 40-year old had a successful operation late last night and is now in a stable condition with doctors stating they are happy with the progress he has made thus far and are very optimistic he will make a full recovery.

“KMR Kawasaki were also running Jeremy McWilliams, Danny Webb and Darren James in the class and the team have made a joint decision today that all three riders will be on the grid for Saturday's four-lap race.”

Read more at http://www.crash.net/rr/news/230291/1/nw200-farquhar-making-good-progre…
Bearuno
5/14/2016 12:39am Edited Date/Time 5/14/2016 2:45am
Sidecar wrote:
I'm a long way from it all.

I can't get any of the Irish / Real Roads sites up that I saved into my computer. Just the BBC Northern Ireland and Crash net ones other blokes here have posted above.

MCN, I don't have a subscription to, and I think their open website is pretty basic compared to what you get as a paid subscriber? : http://www.motorcyclenews.com/

MCN has a bit, with Dan saying he was OK - with 'just' having dislocated both shoulders........ and, still thinking of doing the IOM in just over 2 weeks time. Bloody Hell....

Ryan - everything I see, has him better than initially feared. He retired from racing, well, at least the TT, a few years ago, after a mate of his died there, but has come back for a broader schedule of racing. He seems to build / prep half of the bikes in the Twins / Super / Mini Twins / Lightweight class. Clever bloke, as well as being a fine racer. I do hope he recovers well. Considering that they were racing on what are regarded as the slower end of racing bikes, things could have been far worse on the monsters that are Superbikes, well, even the barely modified Superstock 1000s. His Team, including Jeremy McWilliams, returning to the NW200 at 51, are racing on

Ian Loucher is coming back to the TT as a development rider for the Suter MM? 580cc 2t. He must be in his 50s now, as whilst watching some early / mid 80s TTs the other day, there he was, winning / placing. I do hope he stays safe.

Picture from MCN - I think - showing the prang:

MXMattii
5/14/2016 8:46am
Disaster struck again. Big crash with a fatality :'(
jeffro503
5/14/2016 10:22am
MXMattii wrote:
I love it because of the fact that racers like Hillier, Michael and William Dunlop, Ian Hutchinson, new kid Malachi Mitchell-Thomas, old gun John McGuinness and...
I love it because of the fact that racers like Hillier, Michael and William Dunlop, Ian Hutchinson, new kid Malachi Mitchell-Thomas, old gun John McGuinness and others are trowing there bikes around like we see Valentino Rossi and Marc Marquez do. But those last mentioned know that when they crash they have sand and grass as escape route, and those road racers have no escape route and they go just as fast and that is just crazy! Last year at the TT of Man we saw John McGuinness slide his CBR into the corners!

But when I see a crash like yesterday mine stomach twists around, because it's part of the racing and the zero margin for error gives this discipline of racing an extra dimension, but you never wanna see those riders go down and hurt them self or even worse.

Tomorrow the live stream on the BBC Website starts at 10 o'clock till 6 o'clock British Time. That is from 11.00 - 17.00 in Brussel/CET time and If I'm not mistaken 05.00 AM - 11.00 AM EST. They will race 6 races.

For everyone who likes this, the film 'ROAD' about the Dunlop family is really great!

This is by the way the latest news about Ryan Farquhar. :: NW200: Farquhar 'making good progress' says KMR team
Never seen this and just realized it's on Netflix! I'll be watching this later this evening , looks fantastic. Thank you for the hes up.
5/14/2016 11:06am
So sad to hear of the passing of Malachi Mitchell Thomas at the event today, only 20 years of age. He started off racing motocross and supermoto before moving to road racing. RIP.

MXMattii
5/14/2016 11:21am
MXMattii wrote:
I love it because of the fact that racers like Hillier, Michael and William Dunlop, Ian Hutchinson, new kid Malachi Mitchell-Thomas, old gun John McGuinness and...

Yesterday I named him as one of the fast new kids on the block, today he died. He stunned a lot of people at the Cookstown100 and this weekend at the NW200 he was also very fast! A bright future looked to be ahead for him, but faith has chosen otherwise.
MXMattii
5/15/2016 2:17pm
North West 200: Mitchell-Thomas lived for racing, says father

Malachi Mitchell-Thomas, who died at the North West 200 races on Saturday, was a rider of incredible grit and determination, his father said. Kevin Thomas said he would be scattering the ashes of the 20-year-old, from Chorley, in Lancashire, at the Isle of Man TT races in June. "That is what he wanted me to do - he lived for racing," said Thomas. "He had taken to the roads, the crowds had taken to him. He was a petrol head and just wanted to go faster."

Mitchell-Thomas, from Chorley, had been racing at the North West 200 for the first time, having signed for the Cookstown BE Racing team. He crashed during the Supertwins race at Saturday's road races.

READ MORE ON BBC SPORT...

Here you've TV-Report from the Cookstown 100 (race ridden as preparation for the NW200), with Mitchell-Thomas showing his great skill. This young man is such a big loss. I really had great hopes for him, he could turn out to become a mixture from Michael Dunlop and Guy Martin, but destiny has chosen otherwise.
Sidecar
5/16/2016 5:04am
Thanks for the updates people, I was away racing over the weekend with no internet access.... Good news and very bad news I see, thoughts with Malachi's family and friends, very sad.

Post a reply to: LIVE: North West 200 (Real Road Racing)

The Latest