LAX to Carpinteria on Sunday 9/16

piscokid
Flying in for a turn and burn for work. I get in at 10am on Sunday, gotta wind up in Carpinteria Sunday evening for training the next two days. Fly out on the red eye Tuesday evening.

The 2 guys I am traveling with want to hit the Petersen Automotive Museum or the Automobile Driving Museum.

Either any better than the other?

Would like to drive the 101 up to Carpinteria

Any cool brew pubs on the way?

Anything else worth seeing?

Thanks in advance!
|
friday10
9/9/2018 8:51am
piscokid wrote:
Flying in for a turn and burn for work. I get in at 10am on Sunday, gotta wind up in Carpinteria Sunday evening for training the...
Flying in for a turn and burn for work. I get in at 10am on Sunday, gotta wind up in Carpinteria Sunday evening for training the next two days. Fly out on the red eye Tuesday evening.

The 2 guys I am traveling with want to hit the Petersen Automotive Museum or the Automobile Driving Museum.

Thanks in advance!
Sign up for the vault tour at the Petersen. Some really cool stuff there that most of the public won't see!
kwebster447
9/9/2018 8:56am
Peterson museum is great, haven’t been to the other. Poseidon Brewery in Ventura would be a good spot.
joshflo
9/9/2018 8:58am
piscokid wrote:
Flying in for a turn and burn for work. I get in at 10am on Sunday, gotta wind up in Carpinteria Sunday evening for training the...

Thanks in advance!
Weird...I just drove into carpinteria last night. There’s a cool brewery in the downtown area but I forgot what it’s called. There’s also a good little burger joint by the beach called “the spot” that’s always packed on the weekends. Those are the two places I’d recommend but it’s a cool town just to take a walk around and check out
KennyT
Fantasy
280th
9/9/2018 9:16am
I haven’t been to the other museum, the Peterson is unreal and I cannot imagine anything being better. Like someone else mentioned, go for the vault tour. I did not see that when we were there but heard from others it is well worth the extra $$.

Some areas photos are not allowed so be prepared

The Shop

Myke
Fantasy
2883rd
9/9/2018 10:48am Edited Date/Time 9/9/2018 1:11pm
Peterson is great!

If you have time that sunday head out to venice beach and check out the weirdness and the skatepark. Stop at http://deuscustoms.com/ for a coffee on your way out to the beach. Then you can check out the santa monica peir and drive route 1 north along the ocean through malibu then hit the 101 in Oxnard on your way to carp. There are plenty of cool things to see on route 1 like all the exotic cars at nobu in malibu, neptunes net biker bar, many surf spots, point mugu rock which is in a ton of commercials, amazing coastline, etc.

When you are in carp definately go up to santa barbara state street in the evening. Cool resturants and epic girl watching now that college is back in sesson.

I live in Ventura (right next to carp) so if you have any other questions let me know. You will like carp it's a bitchin' little town on the ocean. Rincon surf spot is right there so if we get a good swell you will be able to see some amazing surfers.

piscokid
9/9/2018 11:56am
Myke wrote:
Peterson is great! If you have time that sunday head out to venice beach and check out the weirdness and the skatepark. Stop at http://deuscustoms.com/ for...
Peterson is great!

If you have time that sunday head out to venice beach and check out the weirdness and the skatepark. Stop at http://deuscustoms.com/ for a coffee on your way out to the beach. Then you can check out the santa monica peir and drive route 1 north along the ocean through malibu then hit the 101 in Oxnard on your way to carp. There are plenty of cool things to see on route 1 like all the exotic cars at nobu in malibu, neptunes net biker bar, many surf spots, point mugu rock which is in a ton of commercials, amazing coastline, etc.

When you are in carp definately go up to santa barbara state street in the evening. Cool resturants and epic girl watching now that college is back in sesson.

I live in Ventura (right next to carp) so if you have any other questions let me know. You will like carp it's a bitchin' little town on the ocean. Rincon surf spot is right there so if we get a good swell you will be able to see some amazing surfers.

Thanks dude. I always wanted to do Petersen's, so that is what we will do. I was looking at the Map and the deuscustoms just might work also, Not sure the old timers I am with will appreciate the Venice scene, but hey, we will see.
My plan is to be done early enough on Monday to have time to go to Santa Barbara. Looks like a lot of cool things to see and do. I plan on getting out to watch the surfers at Rincon in the AM before work! Rincon Brewery gets good reviews in Carp....thoughts?
cookies
9/9/2018 12:37pm
Stearns Wharf in Santa Barbara is nice. Great scenery and some easy fishing.

Perhaps also on route; Malibu Creek State Park is very nice to hike. Beautiful scenery and some filming locations there (M.A.S.H. & Planet of the Apes)
Myke
Fantasy
2883rd
9/9/2018 1:26pm
Myke wrote:
Peterson is great! If you have time that sunday head out to venice beach and check out the weirdness and the skatepark. Stop at http://deuscustoms.com/ for...
Peterson is great!

piscokid wrote:
Thanks dude. I always wanted to do Petersen's, so that is what we will do. I was looking at the Map and the deuscustoms just might...
Thanks dude. I always wanted to do Petersen's, so that is what we will do. I was looking at the Map and the deuscustoms just might work also, Not sure the old timers I am with will appreciate the Venice scene, but hey, we will see.
My plan is to be done early enough on Monday to have time to go to Santa Barbara. Looks like a lot of cool things to see and do. I plan on getting out to watch the surfers at Rincon in the AM before work! Rincon Brewery gets good reviews in Carp....thoughts?
I haven't been but I have heard it was good.
gnarwhip
9/10/2018 8:45pm Edited Date/Time 9/10/2018 8:47pm
Island Brewing Co in Carp is good, as is Santa Barbara Brew Co on State St (go to the bar in back). You can't miss on State St for good bars and chicks. O'Malley's, Joe's has stiff drinks, James Joyce, Dargans are good.
seth419
9/10/2018 9:49pm Edited Date/Time 9/10/2018 9:58pm
Rincon Brewery and Island Brew in Carp. Rincon has good bar food as well, no food at Island. The Spot is nothing special. Delgados has good mexican food and margaritas in Carp. State St. isnt what it used to be, its all about the Funk Zone now in SB. Figueroa Mtn. Brewery (just beer), Llama Dog (good food and beer), Finney's (good bar food and beer), Casa Blanca (mexican and margaritas), The Neighborhood has beer pong, cornhole, ping pong. Endless Summer is a great spot in the harbor to have food and drinks with a view of the water.

Definitely cruise up the coast on the 1 through Malibu etc. rather than the 101 all the way through the valley. Neptunes Net is the popular bar/restaurant right on the 1 that would be a cool spot to stop on Sunday on your way up.
TannerMxer
9/11/2018 8:07am
Ventura, which you will pass through between LAX and Carp has a couple new breweries. MadeWest comes to mind immediately.
mumbles
Fantasy
667th
9/11/2018 1:12pm
The Peterson is pretty amazing. To bad you won't be in the Santa Barbara area on Sunday. In Solvang about 30 minutes NE from SB their is a great motorcycle museum. It's open on the weekends. Well worth going to if you like old bikes. He has an amazing collection of street and race bikes. I think if you call them they have someone that would come open it. Anyway just something else to do. Here is a link.

http://www.motosolvang.com/
piscokid
9/11/2018 2:17pm
mumbles wrote:
The Peterson is pretty amazing. To bad you won't be in the Santa Barbara area on Sunday. In Solvang about 30 minutes NE from SB their...
The Peterson is pretty amazing. To bad you won't be in the Santa Barbara area on Sunday. In Solvang about 30 minutes NE from SB their is a great motorcycle museum. It's open on the weekends. Well worth going to if you like old bikes. He has an amazing collection of street and race bikes. I think if you call them they have someone that would come open it. Anyway just something else to do. Here is a link.

http://www.motosolvang.com/
Damn that would be amazing as well! The other 2 guys I am traveling with are both gear heads, so that would be a blast. I am the only motocross guy however...

Thanks for the tips guys. I forgot to ask about Mexican food, so the tip from seth419 is appreciated!

TheRJP
Fantasy
1648th
9/11/2018 2:35pm
Reynaldo's and Reyes make killer burritos.
piscokid
9/12/2018 8:06am
TheRJP wrote:
Is that Reynaldo's Bakery?

Reyes Market?

Damn, Mexican 2 nights in a row!

Just hope this hurricane doesn't kill the trip on Sunday morning. Leaving Atlanta at 730 am.....
seth419
9/12/2018 8:58am
TheRJP wrote:
piscokid wrote:
Is that Reynaldo's Bakery? Reyes Market? Damn, Mexican 2 nights in a row! Just hope this hurricane doesn't kill the trip on Sunday morning. Leaving Atlanta...
Is that Reynaldo's Bakery?

Reyes Market?

Damn, Mexican 2 nights in a row!

Just hope this hurricane doesn't kill the trip on Sunday morning. Leaving Atlanta at 730 am.....
Yes.
piscokid
9/19/2018 11:00am
Thanks to everyone for the recommendations for this super quick trip.

Got to LAX about 10:15 on Sunday morning, by the time we got luggage and the rental car (Silvercar rocks) Made a quick stop for food at In and Out burger. After the burgers we headed to the Petersen Museum. What an amazing place. One of the guys in our group of 3 couldn't care less about cars and He enjoyed it! Made our way up to Carp via PCH. The cars, people, motorcycles out on Sunday is just mind boggling. The amount of people waiting to get into the parking lot at the Santa Monica pier beach area was just staggering...It was great seeing all the exotics roaring up and down the coast and parked in front of the houses in Malibu. Didn't stop at Neptune's Net, (the old guys didn't like the looks of the place) but it looked super cool. Carp is an amazing little town. So cool. Rincon Brewery was fabulous and a great place to decompress after the flight and the drive. Weather was perfect, front porch area was tops. Driving back to LAX on Tuesday was just insane. It took about 3.5 hours to go the 85 miles, with the majority of the time being eaten up the last 30 miles! Lane splitting, Holy crap. Some of those dip shits were splitting the lanes when traffic was crawling at 50-60 mph! Nuts....

The only question... What is with the derelict looking campers and RV's parked all along the shore up and down PCH? Some look hardly road worthy. Saw a few in front of the rental car return as well. What gives?
Hallzilla
9/19/2018 11:21am
piscokid wrote:
Thanks to everyone for the recommendations for this super quick trip. Got to LAX about 10:15 on Sunday morning, by the time we got luggage and...
Thanks to everyone for the recommendations for this super quick trip.

Got to LAX about 10:15 on Sunday morning, by the time we got luggage and the rental car (Silvercar rocks) Made a quick stop for food at In and Out burger. After the burgers we headed to the Petersen Museum. What an amazing place. One of the guys in our group of 3 couldn't care less about cars and He enjoyed it! Made our way up to Carp via PCH. The cars, people, motorcycles out on Sunday is just mind boggling. The amount of people waiting to get into the parking lot at the Santa Monica pier beach area was just staggering...It was great seeing all the exotics roaring up and down the coast and parked in front of the houses in Malibu. Didn't stop at Neptune's Net, (the old guys didn't like the looks of the place) but it looked super cool. Carp is an amazing little town. So cool. Rincon Brewery was fabulous and a great place to decompress after the flight and the drive. Weather was perfect, front porch area was tops. Driving back to LAX on Tuesday was just insane. It took about 3.5 hours to go the 85 miles, with the majority of the time being eaten up the last 30 miles! Lane splitting, Holy crap. Some of those dip shits were splitting the lanes when traffic was crawling at 50-60 mph! Nuts....

The only question... What is with the derelict looking campers and RV's parked all along the shore up and down PCH? Some look hardly road worthy. Saw a few in front of the rental car return as well. What gives?
It's called having 60,000+ homeless, I think that's what you are referring to. You should have stopped at Neptunes. They have a seafood side where you pick your crab from the tank and they cook it on the spot, and a great selection of beers. Also the Campbells clam chowder is good, haha. There is camping on the old PCH just north of Ventura, near Emma Wood. This would be between Faria and Hobson beaches. Hundreds of RV's there along the sea wall, that could also be what you saw.
seth419
9/19/2018 11:32am
The barely road worthy RV's are everywhere around here!! It is people living in them and parking wherever they can. Most cities have ordinances now preventing them from taking up residence on the streets so thats why they use all the free County Parks parking lots during the day.
piscokid
9/19/2018 11:50am
The RV's along the sea wall looked like legit campers, (big new tow rigs, big expensive campers) but there were some certainly sketchy looking ones along other places as well....I kind of figured it was surf bums or homeless guys buying and just parking. I just couldn't figure out how they could keep them parked like that. Some looked like they had been parked a long time. I forgot to mention that we had dinner at Shoals at the Cliff House Inn on Monday night. Amazing views and good food. Just wish we had more time to take in the Carp area. I really wanted to cruise up to Santa Barbara. Oh well, I am sure I will be out there again as we continue to work with this company. Thanks again to all.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
9/19/2018 1:30pm
Was it just before getting into Ventura? If so, that is a HUGE camping spot for people. It's always packed no matter what, it seems. And man, you were only 10 minutes from DT Santa Barbara! Carp is a cool little town. My wife grew up camping up there all the time as we live about 45 minutes from there. Always amazing weather there. Hopefully next time you'll have more time and some of us can all get together for lunch and bench racing!
seth419
9/19/2018 1:45pm
The Cliff House is awesome!! Oceanfront for less than $200 a night. It's hard to believe but most of those RV's move twice a day. In Santa Barbara there are actually some designated parking lots that allow them to park at night and then they go to whatever free day spot they have at 6am when they have to leave. A lot of the times its beachfront at a County Park etc.!!! At Goleta Beach all the free designated RV spots are gone every day at 6am when they move in.
gnarwhip
9/19/2018 1:56pm
Normally there aren’t that many RVs, but over 1,000 homes burned in the Thomas Fire, and insurance companies are screwing everyone...
piscokid
9/19/2018 5:40pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Was it just before getting into Ventura? If so, that is a HUGE camping spot for people. It's always packed no matter what, it seems. And...
Was it just before getting into Ventura? If so, that is a HUGE camping spot for people. It's always packed no matter what, it seems. And man, you were only 10 minutes from DT Santa Barbara! Carp is a cool little town. My wife grew up camping up there all the time as we live about 45 minutes from there. Always amazing weather there. Hopefully next time you'll have more time and some of us can all get together for lunch and bench racing!
Yep, that was it. We just ran out of time to hit SB. The company insisted in taking us to dinner, (which was amazing and very thoughtful) but after being in a training class all day I was ready to head to SB and walk around and check stuff out. We will most certainly be out there again and it would be fun to bench race and shoot the crap about stuff.

Post a reply to: LAX to Carpinteria on Sunday 9/16

The Latest