LACR mx needs a remodel. (Perris also)

rongi#401
6/22/2020 2:23pm Edited Date/Time 6/27/2020 6:21pm
It has turned into a freeway, wide open freeway, it’s nothing like it was in the 90s and early 2000s wich made it great. I think if enough people pass the massage along it could make a difference. Also perris has been the same layout for over a year, I remember tracks changing their layout once a month
|
SoCalMX70
6/22/2020 2:31pm
I think a lot of people would disagree. Also, LACR does make steady changes throughout the year. Perris hasn't changed the layout much lately, but they do change the jumps.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
760th
6/22/2020 2:33pm
rongi#401 wrote:
It has turned into a freeway, wide open freeway, it’s nothing like it was in the 90s and early 2000s wich made it great. I think...
It has turned into a freeway, wide open freeway, it’s nothing like it was in the 90s and early 2000s wich made it great. I think if enough people pass the massage along it could make a difference. Also perris has been the same layout for over a year, I remember tracks changing their layout once a month
Agreed. Unfortunately the suggestions seem to fall on deaf ears. I hate what our tracks have become.
rongi#401
6/22/2020 2:39pm
SoCalMX70 wrote:
I think a lot of people would disagree. Also, LACR does make steady changes throughout the year. Perris hasn't changed the layout much lately, but they...
I think a lot of people would disagree. Also, LACR does make steady changes throughout the year. Perris hasn't changed the layout much lately, but they do change the jumps.
Changing a tabletop into a tabletop with a hump in the middle is not a change, did you ride lacr before the first shutdown to mine it?
SoCalMX70
6/22/2020 2:40pm
Good news is we still have more tracks within 2 hours than anywhere else in the country. Speak with wallet? 🤷‍♂️

The Shop

SoCalMX70
6/22/2020 2:41pm Edited Date/Time 6/22/2020 2:43pm
SoCalMX70 wrote:
I think a lot of people would disagree. Also, LACR does make steady changes throughout the year. Perris hasn't changed the layout much lately, but they...
rongi#401 wrote:
Changing a tabletop into a tabletop with a hump in the middle is not a change, did you ride lacr before the first shutdown to mine...
Changing a tabletop into a tabletop with a hump in the middle is not a change, did you ride lacr before the first shutdown to mine it?
I've ridden every version of it. Bring the bridge jump back!

Half the vet track was just reworked. They'll probably do the main before the end of the year if previous years are any indication.

Edit: I'll also say that LACR has never been my favorite track. I enjoy it for what it is and all I hear are people raving about it (typically), which is why I don't think they are quick to change.
seth505
Fantasy
1048th
6/22/2020 2:44pm
I've been digging StateFair mx. A lot of turns and a lot of jumps, usually good inside ruts and decent dirt. No complaints from me. Even Cahuilla lately, by far NOT their best layout but still fun as hell.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
760th
6/22/2020 2:45pm
SoCalMX70 wrote:
rongi#401 wrote:
Changing a tabletop into a tabletop with a hump in the middle is not a change, did you ride lacr before the first shutdown to mine...
SoCalMX70 wrote:
I've ridden every version of it. Bring the bridge jump back! Half the vet track was just reworked. They'll probably do the main before the end...
I've ridden every version of it. Bring the bridge jump back!

Half the vet track was just reworked. They'll probably do the main before the end of the year if previous years are any indication.

Edit: I'll also say that LACR has never been my favorite track. I enjoy it for what it is and all I hear are people raving about it (typically), which is why I don't think they are quick to change.
That's one thing I really like about Cal City. Closed for the entire summer, but still changes the track twice a year. Add on that they have probably the best dirt in So Cal right now.
SoCalMX70
6/22/2020 2:51pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
That's one thing I really like about Cal City. Closed for the entire summer, but still changes the track twice a year. Add on that they...
That's one thing I really like about Cal City. Closed for the entire summer, but still changes the track twice a year. Add on that they have probably the best dirt in So Cal right now.
Yeah, now that Zaca is gone I'd agree that Cal City surprisingly (because desert) has the best dirt! Their current layout is extremely fun too. Always have a great time there.

My only tiny gripe is that I wish they'd move the sand back to the first whoop/roller section. Or keep it where it is and add another truck load there. Again, tiny gripe, love the track overall.
rongi#401
6/22/2020 2:58pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
That's one thing I really like about Cal City. Closed for the entire summer, but still changes the track twice a year. Add on that they...
SoCalMX70 wrote:
Yeah, now that Zaca is gone I'd agree that Cal City surprisingly (because desert) has the best dirt! Their current layout is extremely fun too. Always...
Yeah, now that Zaca is gone I'd agree that Cal City surprisingly (because desert) has the best dirt! Their current layout is extremely fun too. Always have a great time there.

My only tiny gripe is that I wish they'd move the sand back to the first whoop/roller section. Or keep it where it is and add another truck load there. Again, tiny gripe, love the track overall.
The issue I have with lacr is that it’s so wide open, and quite dangerous at that speed, they need the top section to be tight and jumpy and the bottom to be rough and sandy like when they dug the first pit
Alex.434
6/22/2020 3:17pm
Yeah Cahuilla is my home track (:35 minutes away.. woo) and current summer layout is fun. Hit State Fair for the first time a few weeks ago and some poppy jumps and stuff.

Haven't been to Perris in a while.
6/22/2020 4:06pm Edited Date/Time 6/22/2020 4:08pm
I rode Perris last Thursday night and it was great. The foot print is the same but there were some different doubles/rhythms. Riding inside ruts it didn’t feel like a freeway.

I haven’t ridden lacr in a couple years but I always like their layouts they never seemed overly fast. Definitely safer then fox main.
Travis_Hudson
Fantasy
1006th
6/22/2020 4:35pm
Not giving them a total out, but redesigning tracks costs alot of money. the cost of fuel and equipment usage has to make sense to how much revenue is coming in.
rongi#401
6/22/2020 4:40pm
Not giving them a total out, but redesigning tracks costs alot of money. the cost of fuel and equipment usage has to make sense to how...
Not giving them a total out, but redesigning tracks costs alot of money. the cost of fuel and equipment usage has to make sense to how much revenue is coming in.
Well if you never change the track people tend to not go, sort of like what happened to piru, they didn’t prep the track properly, wich led people to not go, wich led to less revenue, wich led to less track prep, wich led to even less people coming, wich led to them shutting down. By track changes it doesn’t have to be revolutionary, I mean rip and disk a left right left one week and have it go straight with a double next week, move three hay bales, it seems like Cahuilla has endless changes they can make with the dragging of a disk and spray of a hose
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
760th
6/22/2020 4:43pm
Not giving them a total out, but redesigning tracks costs alot of money. the cost of fuel and equipment usage has to make sense to how...
rongi#401 wrote:
Well if you never change the track people tend to not go, sort of like what happened to piru, they didn’t prep the track properly, wich...
Well if you never change the track people tend to not go, sort of like what happened to piru, they didn’t prep the track properly, wich led people to not go, wich led to less revenue, wich led to less track prep, wich led to even less people coming, wich led to them shutting down. By track changes it doesn’t have to be revolutionary, I mean rip and disk a left right left one week and have it go straight with a double next week, move three hay bales, it seems like Cahuilla has endless changes they can make with the dragging of a disk and spray of a hose
Another thing these tracks need to do is rip it and leave it! Why do all of these tracks just drag dirt and cover the bumps up? Rip it and let things get rough! I'm so sick of everyone whining and crying because the track is "too rough and rutted." This is motocross! It's supposed to be rough and rutted.
Travis_Hudson
Fantasy
1006th
6/22/2020 4:54pm
rongi#401 wrote:
Well if you never change the track people tend to not go, sort of like what happened to piru, they didn’t prep the track properly, wich...
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Another thing these tracks need to do is rip it and leave it! Why do all of these tracks just drag dirt and cover the bumps...
Another thing these tracks need to do is rip it and leave it! Why do all of these tracks just drag dirt and cover the bumps up? Rip it and let things get rough! I'm so sick of everyone whining and crying because the track is "too rough and rutted." This is motocross! It's supposed to be rough and rutted.
Im not arguing with you guys, all good points. It is always a balancing act of prepping the tracks for racers, vet riders, practice princess's and little bikes. Piss any of those groups off and the numbers drop tremendously. Just making a dollar and cents point to why you don't see enough changes.
hubbardmx50
6/22/2020 5:09pm
I love LACR, and we’re so lucky to have it back but I agree. More technical sections would give it some flavor. I really wish they’d knock that triple step up down just a bit so more people could jump it.
Johnny Depp
6/22/2020 6:18pm
I’m in LA through the weekend, I was planning to hit Glen Helen Thursday for the vet track, seems odd no one has mentioned it?
TeamGreen
6/22/2020 6:32pm
I’m in LA through the weekend, I was planning to hit Glen Helen Thursday for the vet track, seems odd no one has mentioned it?
They're open tomorrow, too.
Ron_Shuler
6/22/2020 6:34pm
rongi#401 wrote:
It has turned into a freeway, wide open freeway, it’s nothing like it was in the 90s and early 2000s wich made it great. I think...
The part about LACR being a freeway I agree they should rip it a bit to make it interesting and a little more challenging
langhammx
Fantasy
323rd
6/22/2020 7:29pm
rongi#401 wrote:
You are wrong about Piru !!

Not that you’re wrong about LACR, but they have no shortage of riders and people love the layouts. Not everyone thinks “exactly, like you do. So when you say “ they need the top section to be tight and jumpy and the bottom to be rough and sandy like when they dug the first pit” That is YOUR opinion. They don’t NEED to do anything. They have made plenty of changes to both tracks, IMO.
When you ride 2-4 days a week, any track can get boring.
rongi#401
6/22/2020 7:31pm
Glen Helen is a great track, it gets rough and they’re always making changes, lacr vet track is actually way better than the main track, there’s a few sections where you literally can get going like 80 mph and that’s part of my beef 🥩
rongi#401
6/22/2020 7:33pm
And the issue with making tracks too easy is that the people that go there all the time don’t develop skills as a rider, so you get these guys with all balls and no technical skill, and the first time you throw something that takes and technique at them. The track looks like a battlefield with bodies everywhere. People scream at the track workers and the cycle continues
SrfNdirt
6/22/2020 7:34pm
Glen Helen has been epic the last few times I've been this month. The track seems to get better as the day goes on. Not sure about the vet track but the prep on the main has been excellent.
rongi#401
6/22/2020 7:35pm Edited Date/Time 6/22/2020 7:37pm
langhammx wrote:
You are wrong about Piru !! Not that you’re wrong about LACR, but they have no shortage of riders and people love the layouts. Not everyone...

Not that you’re wrong about LACR, but they have no shortage of riders and people love the layouts. Not everyone thinks “exactly, like you do. So when you say “ they need the top section to be tight and jumpy and the bottom to be rough and sandy like when they dug the first pit” That is YOUR opinion. They don’t NEED to do anything. They have made plenty of changes to both tracks, IMO.
How am I wrong about piru?
My dad was a major part of it when it was lemon grove and I was friends with Kevin when he owned it, wich I’d say were the two prime times of its existence, when the latest guys owned it I hung with a few of the track workers regularly and that’s when it seemed to die
rider41
6/22/2020 8:38pm
langhammx wrote:
You are wrong about Piru !! Not that you’re wrong about LACR, but they have no shortage of riders and people love the layouts. Not everyone...

rongi#401 wrote:
How am I wrong about piru? My dad was a major part of it when it was lemon grove and I was friends with Kevin when...
My dad was a major part of it when it was lemon grove and I was friends with Kevin when he owned it, wich I’d say were the two prime times of its existence, when the latest guys owned it I hung with a few of the track workers regularly and that’s when it seemed to die
You are absolutely wrong about Piru. The last owner brought in dirt, prepped it twice each day, and had it, IMO, the best ive personally ridden that track. I loved riding that place every Wednesday.
When every track raised their prices, he followed by raising his entry as well. The massive bitching and complaints, i assume, helped in the decision to sell it.
Hallzilla
6/22/2020 8:48pm
langhammx wrote:

rongi#401 wrote:
How am I wrong about piru? My dad was a major part of it when it was lemon grove and I was friends with Kevin when...
rider41 wrote:
You are absolutely wrong about Piru. The last owner brought in dirt, prepped it twice each day, and had it, IMO, the best ive personally ridden...
You are absolutely wrong about Piru. The last owner brought in dirt, prepped it twice each day, and had it, IMO, the best ive personally ridden that track. I loved riding that place every Wednesday.
When every track raised their prices, he followed by raising his entry as well. The massive bitching and complaints, i assume, helped in the decision to sell it.
The last owner is the reason its no longer around. He can suck it!
langhammx
Fantasy
323rd
6/22/2020 9:04pm Edited Date/Time 6/22/2020 9:11pm
rongi#401 wrote:
I’ve known all the track managers since it opened. I also am friends with Steve, who was the 1st person to actually buy the land and also run the MX track.
Marc Peters did a good job when he took it over, but he ended up getting burned out and gave up. Kevin did a good job at first as well, but in the end, the track was the typical ice skating rink when it was wet, then turned to concrete by the fend of the day. It always had big chunks of dirt the size of volleyballs and the dirt was hard packed.
When Steve bought the land, he invested a shit ton of money into the track, with the watering system/ Tanks, equipment to RIP the track deep, new dozer and overall clean up of the facility. He devoted his time and efforts into providing a great track and environment. He rode when he had the chance, every now and then, but eventually didn’t have the time to ride, because he was spending every minute doing all the track maintenance and building / changing the track. Only to have SOMEONE complaining about the track being to deep, to wet, ruts too deep, jumps too big, not enough jumps, etc... He did everything he could possibly do to try and satisfy the majority of riders. Most were thrilled (me included) with his changes to the track. It was ripped 10” deep and watered heavy, then he would use his new machine he bought to follow over the ripped surface and turn it into a perfect loam. It still got hard packed at the end of the day in the main line, but it was day and night better than it ever was in the past 15 years previous.
Steve eventually gave up trying to please everyone and came up with a method that most liked. When business was good, he made a little money, but when 20-30 guys showed up, it was a losing effort. Not even including HIS TIME and EFFORT, he was putting in 80 hour weeks often and he decided that the $25 practice fee that hadn’t changed in 10+ years, had to go up to $30. Everyone freaked out and many boycotted him for it.
Some real logical thought went into this as far as people bitching about the $5.00 increase.
For one, lots of people that lived close and were bitching, then drove much further to ride, spending much more in gas, than the $5.00 way to support your local track guys....
Secondly, shortly after Steve had decided that it just wasn’t worth it anymore, all the other tracks raised their prices to $30. Now what ? Boycott them all ? Most people have NO clue how much blood sweat and tears, goes into running a motocross track. Especially a small one that’s ran by the owners. It’s a shame really, to make any kind of real money on some of these tracks, it should be $50 to ride there, IMO
So to answer your question, there was much more to Piru closing than most know. The labor of love only goes so far when you got a bunch of guys bitching about the track on an everyday basis. I don’t blame him a bit, I have no idea how he lasted that long to begin with. He’s a great dude and he never bought the track to make a living on the income. He’s got a business that makes plenty of money. If the track broke even, it was a win for him.
langhammx
Fantasy
323rd
6/22/2020 9:06pm
Hallzilla wrote:
The last owner is the reason its no longer around. He can suck it!
Steve is one of the good guys, not sure if you’re speaking from experience with him personally or just talking, but you are way off base with that comment.
langhammx
Fantasy
323rd
6/22/2020 9:07pm
rider41 wrote:
You are absolutely wrong about Piru. The last owner brought in dirt, prepped it twice each day, and had it, IMO, the best ive personally ridden...
BINGO
rongi#401
6/22/2020 9:22pm
rider41 wrote:
langhammx wrote:
BINGO
Yeah I do remember that it being really good, I was referring to once the price was raised and people stopped coming, that’s when the nose dive happened, because once they were losing money the maintenance slowed a lot. And the real annoying thing is that all the kids that were bitching about the price increase don’t even ride anymore, they’re all these Harley queers pretending to be sons of anarchy members. They shit on it til it died and then just switch hobby’s

Post a reply to: LACR mx needs a remodel. (Perris also)

The Latest