Ktm steering dampner

Greenbush
Edited Date/Time 6/1/2021 9:52pm
Looking to buy a steering dampner for my 2020 350sxf. Debating the crf behind the plate type or the under the handle bar type.
Any input, opinions on either? I want to keep my handle bar position/ the same and just looking to calm down the front end on fast stuff.
Thanks.
|
AJ565
6/1/2021 6:30am
The CRF one won’t calm anything down in rough stuff, it’s not that kind of damper. It helps keep your front end from climbing out of ruts in turn.

If you’re having problems with the front end being busy in fast rough sections then drop the forks to the top, check your sag are the two free things that can help. The ride engineering performance link is a not free change that does help tho.
Brent
6/1/2021 6:35am
Unless you are riding at over 100 mph, KTM dirt bikes are well balanced enough not to need a dampener.

Head shake can be caused by too much sag in the rear combined with a stiff front fork, or a loose steering head.

Set your free sag at 30 to 38mm and your race sag to 103. Also tighten your steering head nut so that the bars fall to the side with a little resistance.

FWYT
6/1/2021 7:32am
I use the Showa (CRF) damper on my KTM 200 and I love it. It will take care of most head shake IF you
change the fluid to something heavier. At least it did for me. (Ride local moto and scrambles)

If I was doing high speed desert, I'd go with the Scotts unit.

The Shop

Xeno
6/1/2021 7:45am

asmith214x
Fantasy
3888th
6/1/2021 8:11am
Open desert Baja style racing for 10 years here.

We all run Scott’s stabilizers. Every single one of us.
Even if you had your bike at some unknown headshake setting, it’ll save your life if you crush a rock certain speeds too. There is a pie setting on there that will literally keep the bars locked straight if you want it to (both directions). I’m not the biggest stabalizer dude but It’s pretty much a safety thing for us at this point. I would not be standing here right now if I didn’t have one
mx510
Fantasy
1744th
6/1/2021 8:42am
I run the Scotts below the bar stabilizer and love it. Lots of adjustability and easily transferable to a new bike.
LungButter
6/1/2021 9:08am
I'd go with the Precision Racing Products one above before any of the under the bar ones.

I'm not a fan of raising the bars like the under mount dampers require, throws off the geometry of the bike and can create different problems while trying to solve a problem.

Personally, I've almost always run a top mount, Scotts is my favorite most GPR are fine if you can get a lighter oil put in them. I used to really like the RTT units that were built in to the triple clamps but they had a few quirks you had to be aware of.

I know a lot of guys say "KTMs don't need a damper".... but to me, if you are feeling front end shake you don't want then a damper will most likely cure that and the positives far outweigh the negatives for 99% of people.

BigBoreFan58
6/1/2021 9:33am
asmith214x wrote:
Open desert Baja style racing for 10 years here. We all run Scott’s stabilizers. Every single one of us. Even if you had your bike at...

Even if you had your bike at some unknown headshake setting, it’ll save your life if you crush a rock certain speeds too. There is a pie setting on there that will literally keep the bars locked straight if you want it to (both directions). I’m not the biggest stabalizer dude but It’s pretty much a safety thing for us at this point. I would not be standing here right now if I didn’t have one
I reach up and rub mine every time it saves me. Change the fluid and a Scotts will last decades.
Greenbush
6/1/2021 11:10am
Thanks all, for the response.
I feel my chassis stup is on point. I think it could turn a bit better than it does but when I go steeper the shake gets worse and if I go slack it won’t turn as well.
I feel my age and injuries attribute to a lot of the issues I have. Haha
Broseph
6/1/2021 12:20pm
ama530 wrote:
Ohlins. Pure Gold. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2021/06/01/496025/s1200_20180316_221938_compress46.jpg[/img]
Ohlins. Pure Gold.
Where do you buy an Ohlins damper? Do you have a part number for that one? I never seem to have any luck with their website.
rbm33
Fantasy
1901st
6/1/2021 12:28pm
I run the BRP mount with a scotts damper. I also run the Pro Taper steering damper low bars with is basically the stick bend but about 1/2 shorter in height resulting in stock bar height.
kopfjaeger
6/1/2021 5:20pm
Greenbush wrote:
Thanks all, for the response. I feel my chassis stup is on point. I think it could turn a bit better than it does but when...
I feel my chassis stup is on point. I think it could turn a bit better than it does but when I go steeper the shake gets worse and if I go slack it won’t turn as well.
Im 50ish, race B Xcountry/HS and enduro. In Texas. Ride a 20 350xc. My forks are set on 3rd line from top, sag 105. I run my airforks at 145psi. Shock sprung for my weight, 195. never ahd a problem with headshake and we we have some pretty fast sections usually. What psi are running in your forks? It seems most people try to run them too low. I use psi from racetech’s web site
kopfjaeger
6/1/2021 5:23pm
I do have a Scott’s steering damper. Havent used it in years. Used it on my old hondas and yz’s. Never felt the need on my crf450 or any of my 350’s. Probably should sell it i guess
Greenbush
6/1/2021 5:52pm
Greenbush wrote:
Thanks all, for the response. I feel my chassis stup is on point. I think it could turn a bit better than it does but when...
kopfjaeger wrote:
Im 50ish, race B Xcountry/HS and enduro. In Texas. Ride a 20 350xc. My forks are set on 3rd line from top, sag 105. I run...
Im 50ish, race B Xcountry/HS and enduro. In Texas. Ride a 20 350xc. My forks are set on 3rd line from top, sag 105. I run my airforks at 145psi. Shock sprung for my weight, 195. never ahd a problem with headshake and we we have some pretty fast sections usually. What psi are running in your forks? It seems most people try to run them too low. I use psi from racetech’s web site
I’m running the race tech spring conversion w a .92 spring and a 4.6 in the rear.
Maybe head shake is a strong word, it’s never went full devil dance on me but it is twitchy at times.
In Comparison my other bike wich is a 17 yam 250f never even shows a hint of twitch. I guess maybe that could be the problem, switching to different bikes.
Tonynz
6/1/2021 6:03pm
I have the Ohlins damper on my 2016 350 SXF Flat Track Bike.
About to fit the factory KTM triple clamps off my MX bike onto the FT bike, so going to have to drill and tap a hole in the top of mount it to fasten it on.

Brent
6/1/2021 6:21pm
Greenbush wrote:
I’m running the race tech spring conversion w a .92 spring and a 4.6 in the rear. Maybe head shake is a strong word, it’s never...
I’m running the race tech spring conversion w a .92 spring and a 4.6 in the rear.
Maybe head shake is a strong word, it’s never went full devil dance on me but it is twitchy at times.
In Comparison my other bike wich is a 17 yam 250f never even shows a hint of twitch. I guess maybe that could be the problem, switching to different bikes.
If you weigh over 169 lbs LESS riding gear, then you need to switch out to a 4.8 rear spring.
willbilly
6/1/2021 6:37pm
I have the Honda behind number plate damper. It has been revalved and has heavier oil. Waste of money and effort. The HPSD is not really a steering damper.
TheLsho
Fantasy
874th
6/1/2021 6:45pm
Brent wrote:
Unless you are riding at over 100 mph, KTM dirt bikes are well balanced enough not to need a dampener. Head shake can be caused by...
Unless you are riding at over 100 mph, KTM dirt bikes are well balanced enough not to need a dampener.

Head shake can be caused by too much sag in the rear combined with a stiff front fork, or a loose steering head.

Set your free sag at 30 to 38mm and your race sag to 103. Also tighten your steering head nut so that the bars fall to the side with a little resistance.

If KTMs don't need one, how come they have been spotted on factory team bikes over the years?

OP - Most people that use them love them, especially if they take them off and try without them for a bit.
ktmdan
6/1/2021 7:26pm
I ran the same Scotts damper (not dampner) on several bikes from a ktm 150 to a kawi 450. I didn't put it on my 2019 350 because I didn't feel like it needed it.
asmith214x
Fantasy
3888th
6/1/2021 9:52pm
asmith214x wrote:
Open desert Baja style racing for 10 years here. We all run Scott’s stabilizers. Every single one of us. Even if you had your bike at...

I reach up and rub mine every time it saves me. Change the fluid and a Scotts will last decades.
Dude 100%. I never sell my bikes with them; I just service it and onto the next bike it goes! Lucky charm at this point

Post a reply to: Ktm steering dampner

The Latest