Ktm 50

Related:
Create New Tag

11/24/2018 10:26 AM

Is it possible to put a junior clutch in a sx to make the engagement rpm lower, as of now there is a irp clutch in it. Lowest engagement rpm is 9000 rpm, wondering if it's possible to lower it more any info would be great.

|

11/24/2018 9:00 PM

What year?

|

11/25/2018 1:05 AM

2014 and newer run the same clutch, just adjust the 3 screws. If it's older than that i got no idea

|

11/25/2018 6:15 AM

Back in the 50 days of clutch washer stacks (uggghhh...I lived that nightmare), you could put in springs instead of washers. It was way easier for the kid to ride but did NOT hold up well for racing.

Again, model year matters here....

|

11/25/2018 6:18 AM

It's a 2014, it has a aftermarket clutch in it, lowest engagement is 9000 rpm, maybe I will have to go with a oem one, coming from a honda 50 it's a big change

|

11/25/2018 6:51 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/25/2018 6:53 AM

That IRP clutch is a good clutch. We ran one in our 50. The kid will get use to it with time. Two completely different bikes. Find an open open field and put in some hours. I think IRP actually has a lower engagement point than stock.

|

11/25/2018 7:20 AM

Maybe I will get a stock one and compare, just seems like when it engages its as already on the pipe and ready to Rip compared to the steady crf 50 power

|

11/25/2018 11:34 AM

for every hour of riding those little bikes....you need two hours in the shop.......Keeping that clutch working right was a nightmare....and my kid was slow........

|

11/25/2018 12:22 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/25/2018 12:23 PM

They set the stall speed high as that engine will be bogging and falling on it's head if any throttle / load situations are present and you were to lower the engagement rpm. That's the way they are designed. Constant blipping and running around with the clutch not fully locked up all the time is what does the clutches in.

The faster the rider, the longer the clutch life, to a point.

|

11/25/2018 2:31 PM

Kristen_Valentino wrote:

Is it possible to put a junior clutch in a sx to make the engagement rpm lower, as of now there is a irp clutch in it. Lowest engagement rpm is 9000 rpm, wondering if it's possible to lower it more any info would be great.

Kristen
Head over here [http://ktmtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?4-KTM-50-discussion
All the info you need is on this site

|

11/25/2018 5:20 PM

Unfortunately you are not going to get it to come on like a crf50. It’s a full blown race bike. If those bikes aren’t ridden right, you will have a smoked motor in no time. To low of an engagement point is going to cause slipping which builds heat, combined with slow air flow into the rads and over the motor. Over heating will melt that plastic water pump gear and fry the stator. Hopefully the stator fails before the bike locks up. By that time though, your looking at a new top end anyways. I was in your situation a couple years ago.

|

11/26/2018 8:17 PM

Allot of people complain about KTM 50 clutches but that hasn't been my luck. I have one grandkid on a 2016 MiniAdventure and another on a 2014 SX, I change the oil after every ride day and run Mobil One ATF. We have two years on the mini and a year and a half on the SX and have done nothing to the clutches except adjust the engagement screws when we bought them.

|

2018 KX450F
2005 KX250
2003 KDX 220
1984 KX 80
1982 RM 80
1980 RM 80
1977 XR 75
1969 Honda Mini 50

11/26/2018 8:46 PM

vetmxr wrote:

for every hour of riding those little bikes....you need two hours in the shop.......Keeping that clutch working right was a nightmare....and my kid was slow........

Shit was just about to buy my son one... He only rides once a month, just came off a pw50 which was super reliable wondering if I should think about something else?

|

11/26/2018 8:48 PM

bf884 wrote:

Unfortunately you are not going to get it to come on like a crf50. It’s a full blown race bike. If those bikes aren’t ridden right, you will have a smoked motor in no time. To low of an engagement point is going to cause slipping which builds heat, combined with slow air flow into the rads and over the motor. Over heating will melt that plastic water pump gear and fry the stator. Hopefully the stator fails before the bike locks up. By that time though, your looking at a new top end anyways. I was in your situation a couple years ago.

Would you recommend a crf 50 over the Ktm SX .
If your son isn't racing ?

|

11/27/2018 3:45 PM

Dougy1 wrote:

That would be the next logical step. But if you kid hauls the mail, and is ready, get the SX. He'll grow to love it, or hate it.

|

11/27/2018 4:30 PM

project racer wrote:

They set the stall speed high as that engine will be bogging and falling on it's head if any throttle / load situations are present and you were to lower the engagement rpm. That's the way they are designed. Constant blipping and running around with the clutch not fully locked up all the time is what does the clutches in.

The faster the rider, the longer the clutch life, to a point.

This is correct due to the lack of a power valve the engines make little power at low RPM so clutch engagement has to be 9400rpm plus

|

11/28/2018 12:03 PM

bf884 wrote:

Dougy1 wrote:

And if you get him one, be sure to ride it they are an absolute blast!

|

11/28/2018 12:31 PM

vetmxr wrote:

Dougy1 wrote:

Shit was just about to buy my son one... He only rides once a month, just came off a pw50 which was super reliable wondering if I should think about something else?

Yes, take my advice. Go find a good used KX 60, and skip the whole damn pee wee scene. Parts for the 60 are cheap, easy to find, build it just for him. You’ll thank me later..... teach him shifting early and get a headstart. Btw, your wallet, and patience, will thank you as well.....

|

11/28/2018 5:59 PM

In Aus we cant race 65's until you are 7 and have an endorsement

|