Ktm 150

Related:
Create New Tag

4/19/2018 11:28 AM

Seriously considering getting a 2018 sx150. I’m currently on a 350 and I’m not sure if I need two bikes. My concern with the 150 is all my friends have 450s and we are all close in speed. Will I be that much slower on the 150? We are B riders.

|

4/19/2018 11:41 AM

You’ll have more fun.

|

4/19/2018 11:47 AM

IMO it depends on how familiar you are with two strokes. If you've only seriously ridden/raced four strokes you're going to have a learning curve and you'll need to check your ego.

|

4/19/2018 12:07 PM

Most of my friends I ride with are on 450s and they regularly ask to ride my 150. The bike will force you to be a better rider but passing a 450 on a little 2 stroke is very satisfying. I'm a quicker C rider, my friends range from mid pack C to quick B riders.

|

I'm not an actual kid
Red Bud Vet Fest 2020: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gpxS0KgQFc

District 14
2017 KTM 150

R.I.P. Steel City

4/19/2018 12:45 PM

I rode Southwick recently on my 2018 150sx, a track that is brutal rough where the deep sand drains the power. To start with, I was wishing I was on a 450 with all the power in the world, but then it all clicked into place and I found myself pounding out lap after lap after lap and getting faster and faster, having sooooo much fun. These bikes handle amazing, and they are so light, you'll just keep going with less fatigue. As said already, it will make you a better rider, and will up your fitness for sure. I don't think you're that far away from me, so you're welcome to try mine if we're ever at the same place.

My guess is that your friends will get an edge on you to start with but you will soon catch-up and at the end of the race, it will be more favorable for you. They are great machines.

|

4/19/2018 1:21 PM

Dcross829 wrote:

Seriously considering getting a 2018 sx150. I’m currently on a 350 and I’m not sure if I need two bikes. My concern with the 150 is all my friends have 450s and we are all close in speed. Will I be that much slower on the 150? We are B riders.

Mannnnn!!! I did that same thing and it's fun for a little while. But after a bit that 150 smile goes away after top ends etc and your buddies are leaving you. They will be faster.

|

4/19/2018 2:17 PM

Bramlett321 wrote:

Mannnnn!!! I did that same thing and it's fun for a little while. But after a bit that 150 smile goes away after top ends etc and your buddies are leaving you. They will be faster.

The smile going away does not sound good haha. I think I’m going to keep the 350 and ride both for awhile and make a decision on what to keep from there instead of selling the 350 right away.

|

4/19/2018 2:38 PM

I recently just had myself in almost the exact same situation as you recently. Had a 17 CRF250 which I loved then picked up a 4 hour 17 150 for the pure fun aspect and with the hope i may ride it better. Dont get me wrong the 150 is hella fun to ride and is quick but the riding style is so different it will take quite a lot of getting used to.

I then took my friends FC350 out a few weekends ago and was blown away by how good it was, so much so that i traded in both my 250F and the 150 for a 17 350SXF and couldnt be happier. Before riding a 350 i always thought they are the perfect bike on paper; as light as a 250F but on roids in the engine department and the steel frame just completes the package. I would definitely say the 350 is the most fun bike ive ridden due to high rpms, easy to carry speed and fantastic handling.

Im glad i tried a 2 stroke but it settled the debate for me that i enjoy going fast and hitting all my marks on a bike i have the most confidence on. Of course you may feel different but thats just my opinion. Whatever you decide to do, just make sure its whatever puts the biggest smile on your face! cool

|

4/19/2018 2:50 PM

Dcross829 wrote:

Seriously considering getting a 2018 sx150. I’m currently on a 350 and I’m not sure if I need two bikes. My concern with the 150 is all my friends have 450s and we are all close in speed. Will I be that much slower on the 150? We are B riders.

All depends on what you want. More fun? Or fast lap times? I am coming off a 07 CR125 and 12 CRF450. The 450 for sure is faster, easier to ride, etc. Both nothing was as fun as riding that 125 pinned. I liked it so much that I recently bought a 18 KTM 150SX, sold the 125, and in the process of selling the 450. The 150 is like a 125 on steroids! But yes, if you have buddies with 450s, they will be faster than you (given that all of your skill levels are the same). I don't race so I don't care about lap times or any of that. For me it's all about the fun factor. And if your looking for just pure fun the 150 is it!

|

4/19/2018 3:28 PM

TJMX947 wrote:

IMO it depends on how familiar you are with two strokes. If you've only seriously ridden/raced four strokes you're going to have a learning curve and you'll need to check your ego.

This is really the best way to put it

|

2014 Ducati Monster 1200
2014 KTM 300SX
2003 Kawasaki KX500
Instagram: @MarkusUpdate

4/19/2018 3:59 PM

It may be hard at first but it will make you a better rider, then once you jump back on your 350 you'll be much faster.

|

10' 200 XC-w
96' XR600r

4/19/2018 4:45 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/19/2018 4:45 PM

Will not beable to hang with your buddies at the same speed on a 450. 150 is really good for 85% percent of the tracks but once you get to deep loam or sand it def takes a toll on the bike. Still one of the funniest bikes I’ve ever had. Absolutely love it.

|

4/19/2018 4:51 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/19/2018 4:53 PM

what do you weigh? motcross or trail riding?

I would say if your 150lbs rider and ride the top end, could be just as fast. If your doing trail, could be faster because you can corner and run faster on the single track.But then hill climbing will be a different story. Goorm loam or sand track will be your enemy on a track. So no, won;t be able to hang with your buddies, why not a KTM 250?


I'm considering a 150 for my daughter.. does that help? (waiting for backlash)

|

4/19/2018 5:12 PM

I bought an ‘18 150 at the end of last season. I’ve only got about 6 hours on it so far but it’s been some of the most fun I’ve ever had. Ear to ear grin. I do have a hard time hanging with some guys I should be able to hang with or out-run if I were on the 450 or 250 two stroke they’re on, but I’m still learning the small bore two stroke riding style. I started on a 250F and have only had that or bigger until now. There are a couple of jumps I was clearing on it that I literally couldn’t quite get over on my ‘16 YZ250F, even on the same day back-to-back. Even though the 150 is the most fun I can remember having, I think If I had to have one bike only I would still go with a YZ250 two-stroke. That’s just my $0.02 though.

|

4/19/2018 5:17 PM

The 2015 and previous models had a wider and more usable powerband. KTM changed the bore and stroke in 2016 so the only change between it and the 125 was the cylinder, whereas before it was a different “purpose built” motor.

|

4/19/2018 5:55 PM

If you aren't riding deep sand and learn to rail that 150 you'll be hanging with your buddies, i love my 125 and 150.

|

Unleaded tastes a little tangy. Supreme is kinda sour, and diesel tastes pretty good.

4/19/2018 8:11 PM

I just went from a 200 in a 150xc frame to a 250 and I am so much faster on the 250. The 200 is more fun at cycle ranch (sand) but the 250 is just so much faster everywhere else. I'm an A offroad rider FWIW.

An interesting thing i've noticed is that riding a small bore bike makes me faster on a bigger bike and riding a bigger bike makes me faster on the smaller bike. Hard to explain but I think you realize your weaknesses on each bike and can compensate more easily.

|

4/20/2018 5:10 AM

Just picked up a 2018 150, its seriously one of the most fun bikes i've ever owned, I'm 5'9" 160lb ish B class off-road guy. I find that the 150 has plenty of oomph to get me over everything at all our local MX tracks. Also I feel faster when I hop back on my 250xc in the woods. I love it.

|

4/20/2018 5:48 AM

Photo

My buddy and I bought these exact bikes in question. I bought the 350 and he bought the 150.

We swap bikes all the time and I will say the 150 is a ton of fun to ride. It feels like you can just turn that bike down anywhere and hit the tightest of inside lines. It rips pretty hard as well.

I'm definitely faster on the 350 thought. That bike just has so much usable power.
|

Race Bike: 2018 KTM 350SXF

Other Bikes: 1985 CR80R, 1990 CR250R, 1998 PW80, Specialized Fuse Comp 29.

Sold: 2016 YZ250F, 2012 CRF250R

4/20/2018 5:59 AM

I’ve got a 150 and I absolutely love to ride it (minus the horrible 4CS forks). 4-strokes are easier to ride and 450s have a lot more power than this bike so, yeah, with equal skill level your buddies will go faster on the 450. You will look and sound 100 times better though! If you want to have some fun and still easily keep up with your buddies then get a 250 two-stroke.

|

4/20/2018 8:11 AM

If you're going to have just one bike then get a 250 2 stroke. I was looking at a 125, 150, or a 250 and decided on an '18 250sx and its been amazing. I would like to get a 125 or 150 to go with it, but I really enjoy my bike more than the 250 4 stroke I had last.

|

2018 KTM 250sx
Instagram CamaroAJ

4/20/2018 9:11 AM

fact is if you cant ride a small bore 2 t well you aint a good rider..
riding on couches (big bore 4t) is all well and good, but anyone can ride them okay..

and who wants to be an "anyone" its the same as a no one.

|

4/20/2018 9:19 AM

I got a KTM 125 and I feel it’s made me a much better rider when I go back to my 250f

|

4/21/2018 7:43 PM

I am in the exact predicament. I really want a ktm150sx.
My problem is I am new to the sport.
I actually bought a my son a bike and he said that he wanted me to get one too, so I bought a 2015crf250r. He s on a ktm 50sx seniors and progressing really well especially after a few 4 days coaching camp.

Me, well m having heaps of fun on the 250crf. I am 41 yo and wight 160 pounds.
My level is obviously beginner, but without being full of myself I think I m learning fast. I was always a bit of a daredevil and for the last 30 years, surfing has been my main sport.
I am starting to clear jumps, wheely over hoops and small obstacles, and able to really lean the bike in corners ( which I enjoy even more than jumping)......

My question, is would I be wasting my money in a ktm 150sx at this stage. Should I lear the basics in a thumper then moved to a 2 stroke like the 150.
I find the crf205r easy to ride, the maps are great especially where I ride as there s different track type ( most of the ti e I have it on aggressive map), but I also find it cumbersome and not as nimble as I would like it to be.

Would a 150sx be a big change? At the end of the day there s only 12kg difference.

Any advice would be welcomed.
Thanks in advance

|

4/21/2018 11:51 PM

How long are you guys getting out if clutches. I'm building a small bore and riding the big bike I'm thinking how I'll be clutching the little bike every corner almost

|

4/22/2018 12:05 AM

Froggy76 wrote:

I am in the exact predicament. I really want a ktm150sx.
My problem is I am new to the sport.
I actually bought a my son a bike and he said that he wanted me to get one too, so I bought a 2015crf250r. He s on a ktm 50sx seniors and progressing really well especially after a few 4 days coaching camp.

Me, well m having heaps of fun on the 250crf. I am 41 yo and wight 160 pounds.
My level is obviously beginner, but without being full of myself I think I m learning fast. I was always a bit of a daredevil and for the last 30 years, surfing has been my main sport.
I am starting to clear jumps, wheely over hoops and small obstacles, and able to really lean the bike in corners ( which I enjoy even more than jumping)......

My question, is would I be wasting my money in a ktm 150sx at this stage. Should I lear the basics in a thumper then moved to a 2 stroke like the 150.
I find the crf205r easy to ride, the maps are great especially where I ride as there s different track type ( most of the ti e I have it on aggressive map), but I also find it cumbersome and not as nimble as I would like it to be.

Would a 150sx be a big change? At the end of the day there s only 12kg difference.

Any advice would be welcomed.
Thanks in advance

You're probably the perfect candidate for a 150 and would likely never look back. The 150 will "feel" 50 lbs lighter and you'll learn to become a better rider and will always feel like a hero. This sport is about enjoyment and the satisfaction of trying to master dirt bike skills, and "No" bike is better suited for this than the 150.

|

4/22/2018 1:11 AM

Jrewing wrote:

How long are you guys getting out if clutches. I'm building a small bore and riding the big bike I'm thinking how I'll be clutching the little bike every corner almost

You just have to work the gearbox a lot. If you're in the correct gear you really don't have to pound your motorcycle's clutch. I don't find the wear to be any different between my 125 and my 350.

|

4/22/2018 3:45 AM

Thanks guys.
Appreciate the replies and advice. Especially the “feel 50pounds lighter” that s exactly what I was looking for.

I am seriously having so much fun. My 8 yo is already bagging me and my CRF250. He wants me to get a ktm....kids, I tell you. Let s see if he feels the same when he needs to pay for them ?

Can t wait to get one now.
Is the bike good to go straight from the showroom or does it need a few tweaks. My guess, is that even if it does, a novice like me won t notice it.

|

4/22/2018 7:04 AM

Froggy76 wrote:

Thanks guys.
Appreciate the replies and advice. Especially the “feel 50pounds lighter” that s exactly what I was looking for.

I am seriously having so much fun. My 8 yo is already bagging me and my CRF250. He wants me to get a ktm....kids, I tell you. Let s see if he feels the same when he needs to pay for them ?

Can t wait to get one now.
Is the bike good to go straight from the showroom or does it need a few tweaks. My guess, is that even if it does, a novice like me won t notice it.

Install a vforce reed block. The original reeds are often not sealing correctly and make the bike run bad at low rpms (which sucks for novice riders) and impossible to jet.

|

4/22/2018 10:29 AM

You'll work your ass off a lot more...but the cool the kids will really like you.

|

2019 KTM 350 XCF
Single Track Warrior