Knee replacement and dirt bike riding

Related:
Create New Tag

11/24/2019 6:34 PM

Has anyone had a partial or full knee replacement and kept riding dirt bikes? I am curious if it would be too dangerous if it was damaged.
Please, do not flame and only respond if you have had a knee replacement or you are a doctor.
Thanks
Scott

|

11/24/2019 6:53 PM

I have a buddy that has had both knees completely replaced. He is 62 or so and races many weekends in the 60 expert class. Says his knees feel so much better than years past and still feel good after riding. He took the rehab very serious and is then type to do things right.

|

11/24/2019 8:31 PM

I've had double knee replacement in 2011 six months apart. I rode a couple times between getting the right and left done and have ridden my ass off since. Well honestly until l ate shit and had to have a couple surgeries. Now l'm just getting back to riding. I'm currently 55.

I don't even think about it at all. I still wear my knee braces because l'm so used to them l feel naked without them. All and all it was the best thing l could have done. I was so tired of the swelling and pain.

|

11/24/2019 9:18 PM

Yup. Right knee replaced in 2018. My doc said the absolutes are no running and no tattoos. I just don't take crazy chances. I am not and have never been a crazy jumper. I'm 62.

FWIW, most doctor and medical professionals have a knee jerk reaction and will NO. My PT said not yet only because he wanted my leg even stronger but insurance would only go so far so i went riding. I've raced about 12 times since and ride 2-3 times a month.

|

The older I get, the faster I was.

11/24/2019 9:54 PM

Full knee replacement three years ago and still ride and race,59 years old.

|

11/24/2019 10:58 PM

My dad is 54 and had his knee replacement surgery back in February. 2 or 3 months later he was back on a bike. Says his knee feels more stable than it ever has, just needs to keep working on getting it back to full strength.

|

2017 RMZ450
2005 YZ250-sold :,(
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

80% of the time it works every time
IG @hamdaddyof2 & @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

11/24/2019 11:49 PM

captmoto wrote:

Yup. Right knee replaced in 2018. My doc said the absolutes are no running and no tattoos. I just don't take crazy chances. I am not and have never been a crazy jumper. I'm 62.

FWIW, most doctor and medical professionals have a knee jerk reaction and will NO. My PT said not yet only because he wanted my leg even stronger but insurance would only go so far so i went riding. I've raced about 12 times since and ride 2-3 times a month.

52 and well on my way to needing one and possibly two knee replacements. Not that I plan on getting any, but I don’t understand the mandate of no tattoos?

|

11/25/2019 5:01 AM

captmoto wrote:

BAD10 wrote:

52 and well on my way to needing one and possibly two knee replacements. Not that I plan on getting any, but I don’t understand the mandate of no tattoos?

Infection risk

|

11/25/2019 8:39 AM

I had a total knee (Journey knee) replacement in April of 2018 and was racing six weeks after surgery. Since then I've raced post vintage MX, cross country, mad dog, competed in vintage trials and rode some dual sport in the desert. I've had several harsh hits on my foot that jarred my whole body and thought Oh crap that had to mess it up. I was wrong, and after a couple of Ibuprofen the next day it was fine. It takes a long while to get the muscles built back up, I would say a year to be 100% but I guess I favored it for so long in pain that it was pretty comfortable to get out there quickly and ride. I did a lot more physical therapy than a couple of times a week that was prescribed. Makes all the difference. I just wished I had the surgery sooner. I also have a friend that had the same surgery a week after me and while he is older the recovery was close to the same for him. Good luck and live to ride!!

|

11/25/2019 8:49 AM

Real ones or fake ones... Doesn't matter yer gonna fuck em up either way so go for it.

|

11/25/2019 7:24 PM

HackMan162 wrote:

Infection risk

Any dental work I have do w is supposed to get a course of antibiotics before the work.

|

11/25/2019 10:28 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/25/2019 10:36 PM

BAD10 wrote:

HackMan162 wrote:

Infection risk

captmoto wrote:

Any dental work I have do w is supposed to get a course of antibiotics before the work.

That's an old standard. Back in 2013 studies showed no effect of prophylactic antibiotics on joint replacements. The ADA and AOS stopped recommending those in 2015. One less thing to waste money on and risk antibiotic resistance.

https://www.ada.org/en/member-center/oral-health-topics/antibiotic-prophylaxis

|

11/26/2019 12:47 PM

63 yrs old. Total left knee replacement three years ago. I'm retired so I treated the rehabilitation as my FULL TIME job for several months. Best exercises were bicycling and swimming.

Still moto with the fellas 2-3 times per week, and race when the urge hits me. Hit 90% of the jumps at our local tracks with zero discomfort. Still a little worried about twisting my knee in ruts, so really try to keep my feet on the pegs as much as possible, But overall I think this technique has made me a better rider. My knee replacement feels so good that I rarely even think about it. But it's important to understand and accept the inherent risk involved ....with or without fake parts.

As for me, I have a passion for dirt bikes in general, but especially motocross, that just won't die, I am thankful for every day that I can moto and hang out with my buddies. I realize that my window to ride on a motocross track the way it should be ridden (given age, fake parts etc.) is slowly closing. But when it's closed, I'll trail ride, spend more time on the Beta trials bike or do some dual sport adventure riding. Life is good, let's moto!

|

11/26/2019 1:32 PM

50dippin wrote:

That's an old standard. Back in 2013 studies showed no effect of prophylactic antibiotics on joint replacements. The ADA and AOS stopped recommending those in 2015. One less thing to waste money on and risk antibiotic resistance.

https://www.ada.org/en/member-center/oral-health-topics/antibiotic-prophylaxis

Good to know.

|

11/26/2019 3:55 PM

I'm 60, had a PKR (Partial Knee Replacement) on both knees about 17 years ago (2002) to get more joint movement for the high pegs on my roadrace bike.

Then had a big crash at Phillip Island GP circuit after 5 years from fitment (2007), smashed my left leg to pieces (fib, tib & knee), then had a TKR (Total Knee Replacement) done on my left knee once all the bones healed-up, about a year later.

I gave up roadracing for cost reasons back in 2010 and came back to dirt, currently ride RMZ450 & Honda CR500, my left knee is fantastic, I will get my right PKR replaced with TKR soon as possible.

I came over from Australia to Glen Helen a couple of years ago to race a vintage meet, rode a borrowed Honda CR480 (left kick); no problem kickstarting it :-) I always wear knee braces now.

|

11/26/2019 4:21 PM

I had a Total Knee Replacement a year ago and recently started riding again. You’ll know when you feel comfortable getting on a bike again. I was riding a MTB at 4 months post op. Photo

|

11/26/2019 4:41 PM

Allograft in '01 on the right - constantly swollen, but both feel a bit wobbly years later, need to strength train. Getting old sucks.

|