Knee replacement and dirt bike riding

cloverdale
Edited Date/Time 11/1/2022 5:54pm
Has anyone had a partial or full knee replacement and kept riding dirt bikes? I am curious if it would be too dangerous if it was damaged.
Please, do not flame and only respond if you have had a knee replacement or you are a doctor.
Thanks
Scott
|
cmotodad
11/24/2019 6:53pm
I have a buddy that has had both knees completely replaced. He is 62 or so and races many weekends in the 60 expert class. Says his knees feel so much better than years past and still feel good after riding. He took the rehab very serious and is then type to do things right.
dimetime
11/24/2019 8:31pm
I've had double knee replacement in 2011 six months apart. I rode a couple times between getting the right and left done and have ridden my ass off since. Well honestly until l ate shit and had to have a couple surgeries. Now l'm just getting back to riding. I'm currently 55.

I don't even think about it at all. I still wear my knee braces because l'm so used to them l feel naked without them. All and all it was the best thing l could have done. I was so tired of the swelling and pain.
captmoto
11/24/2019 9:18pm
Yup. Right knee replaced in 2018. My doc said the absolutes are no running and no tattoos. I just don't take crazy chances. I am not and have never been a crazy jumper. I'm 62.

FWIW, most doctor and medical professionals have a knee jerk reaction and will NO. My PT said not yet only because he wanted my leg even stronger but insurance would only go so far so i went riding. I've raced about 12 times since and ride 2-3 times a month.
neverwas
Fantasy
784th
11/24/2019 9:54pm
Full knee replacement three years ago and still ride and race,59 years old.

The Shop

mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
11/24/2019 10:58pm
My dad is 54 and had his knee replacement surgery back in February. 2 or 3 months later he was back on a bike. Says his knee feels more stable than it ever has, just needs to keep working on getting it back to full strength.
BAD10
11/24/2019 11:49pm
captmoto wrote:
Yup. Right knee replaced in 2018. My doc said the absolutes are no running and no tattoos. I just don't take crazy chances. I am not...
Yup. Right knee replaced in 2018. My doc said the absolutes are no running and no tattoos. I just don't take crazy chances. I am not and have never been a crazy jumper. I'm 62.

FWIW, most doctor and medical professionals have a knee jerk reaction and will NO. My PT said not yet only because he wanted my leg even stronger but insurance would only go so far so i went riding. I've raced about 12 times since and ride 2-3 times a month.
52 and well on my way to needing one and possibly two knee replacements. Not that I plan on getting any, but I don’t understand the mandate of no tattoos?
HackMan162
11/25/2019 5:01am
captmoto wrote:
Yup. Right knee replaced in 2018. My doc said the absolutes are no running and no tattoos. I just don't take crazy chances. I am not...

BAD10 wrote:
52 and well on my way to needing one and possibly two knee replacements. Not that I plan on getting any, but I don’t understand the...
52 and well on my way to needing one and possibly two knee replacements. Not that I plan on getting any, but I don’t understand the mandate of no tattoos?
Infection risk
YZ324
11/25/2019 8:39am
I had a total knee (Journey knee) replacement in April of 2018 and was racing six weeks after surgery. Since then I've raced post vintage MX, cross country, mad dog, competed in vintage trials and rode some dual sport in the desert. I've had several harsh hits on my foot that jarred my whole body and thought Oh crap that had to mess it up. I was wrong, and after a couple of Ibuprofen the next day it was fine. It takes a long while to get the muscles built back up, I would say a year to be 100% but I guess I favored it for so long in pain that it was pretty comfortable to get out there quickly and ride. I did a lot more physical therapy than a couple of times a week that was prescribed. Makes all the difference. I just wished I had the surgery sooner. I also have a friend that had the same surgery a week after me and while he is older the recovery was close to the same for him. Good luck and live to ride!!
BobbyM
11/25/2019 8:49am
Real ones or fake ones... Doesn't matter yer gonna fuck em up either way so go for it.
captmoto
11/25/2019 7:24pm
HackMan162 wrote:
Infection risk
Any dental work I have do w is supposed to get a course of antibiotics before the work.
50dippin
11/25/2019 10:28pm Edited Date/Time 11/25/2019 10:36pm
HackMan162 wrote:
Infection risk
captmoto wrote:
Any dental work I have do w is supposed to get a course of antibiotics before the work.
That's an old standard. Back in 2013 studies showed no effect of prophylactic antibiotics on joint replacements. The ADA and AOS stopped recommending those in 2015. One less thing to waste money on and risk antibiotic resistance.

https://www.ada.org/en/member-center/oral-health-topics/antibiotic-prop…

sparker245
11/26/2019 12:47pm
63 yrs old. Total left knee replacement three years ago. I'm retired so I treated the rehabilitation as my FULL TIME job for several months. Best exercises were bicycling and swimming.

Still moto with the fellas 2-3 times per week, and race when the urge hits me. Hit 90% of the jumps at our local tracks with zero discomfort. Still a little worried about twisting my knee in ruts, so really try to keep my feet on the pegs as much as possible, But overall I think this technique has made me a better rider. My knee replacement feels so good that I rarely even think about it. But it's important to understand and accept the inherent risk involved ....with or without fake parts.

As for me, I have a passion for dirt bikes in general, but especially motocross, that just won't die, I am thankful for every day that I can moto and hang out with my buddies. I realize that my window to ride on a motocross track the way it should be ridden (given age, fake parts etc.) is slowly closing. But when it's closed, I'll trail ride, spend more time on the Beta trials bike or do some dual sport adventure riding. Life is good, let's moto!
captmoto
11/26/2019 1:32pm
50dippin wrote:
That's an old standard. Back in 2013 studies showed no effect of prophylactic antibiotics on joint replacements. The ADA and AOS stopped recommending those in 2015...
That's an old standard. Back in 2013 studies showed no effect of prophylactic antibiotics on joint replacements. The ADA and AOS stopped recommending those in 2015. One less thing to waste money on and risk antibiotic resistance.

https://www.ada.org/en/member-center/oral-health-topics/antibiotic-prop…

Good to know.
Johnny Oz
11/26/2019 3:55pm
I'm 60, had a PKR (Partial Knee Replacement) on both knees about 17 years ago (2002) to get more joint movement for the high pegs on my roadrace bike.

Then had a big crash at Phillip Island GP circuit after 5 years from fitment (2007), smashed my left leg to pieces (fib, tib & knee), then had a TKR (Total Knee Replacement) done on my left knee once all the bones healed-up, about a year later.

I gave up roadracing for cost reasons back in 2010 and came back to dirt, currently ride RMZ450 & Honda CR500, my left knee is fantastic, I will get my right PKR replaced with TKR soon as possible.

I came over from Australia to Glen Helen a couple of years ago to race a vintage meet, rode a borrowed Honda CR480 (left kick); no problem kickstarting it :-) I always wear knee braces now.
Nighttrain
11/26/2019 4:21pm
I had a Total Knee Replacement a year ago and recently started riding again. You’ll know when you feel comfortable getting on a bike again. I was riding a MTB at 4 months post op.
bonseff
11/26/2019 4:41pm
Allograft in '01 on the right - constantly swollen, but both feel a bit wobbly years later, need to strength train. Getting old sucks.
Electro21
Fantasy
75th
2/6/2022 12:01pm
Sorry for reviving an old thread. I'm getting total knee replacement April 28th. I've been building a 2007 CRF 250r and have another one to build. Dying to ride again, its been at least 10 years. Glad to see there's still hope to ride again. I'm a little on the younger scale for getting this, I'm 43.
lumpy790
2/6/2022 12:24pm
Interning reading these posts today since I am headed to see Doc tomorrow for my shoulder and while there was planning on talking about my knee.
e-wa
2/6/2022 12:36pm
Are there any new advancements on the horizon for TKR?
Bigfoot16
2/6/2022 3:27pm
I have a left knee and right hip replacements. Just jumped back on a dirt bike for the first time in over 40 years.. told my wife it was part of my therapy Smile I've had no issues since I started back. Just be diligent with your rehab after surgery and you will be fine.
EngIceDave
2/6/2022 4:00pm
I had a full done on my right knee at Thanksgiving, how long until the pain really subsided? The swelling I understand still and all that, but I have these bone pains like someone whacks me in the bone with a stick every 5-10 steps sometimes. A bone bruise pain.

How long until that was gone and also until you felt 100% recovered?

Thanks
Bigfoot16
2/6/2022 4:07pm
EngIceDave wrote:
I had a full done on my right knee at Thanksgiving, how long until the pain really subsided? The swelling I understand still and all that...
I had a full done on my right knee at Thanksgiving, how long until the pain really subsided? The swelling I understand still and all that, but I have these bone pains like someone whacks me in the bone with a stick every 5-10 steps sometimes. A bone bruise pain.

Thanks
This was my 7th knee surgery.. so I was a little used to discomfort. But I would say it took me a good 8 or 9 months before I really got comfortable. I know that weird bone pain.. would sometimes get it just out of nowhere.. have not had that in a long time. Still get an occasional weird click or knock now and then.. but that bone pain went away.
EngIceDave
2/6/2022 5:03pm
EngIceDave wrote:
I had a full done on my right knee at Thanksgiving, how long until the pain really subsided? The swelling I understand still and all that...

Thanks
Bigfoot16 wrote:
This was my 7th knee surgery.. so I was a little used to discomfort. But I would say it took me a good 8 or 9...
This was my 7th knee surgery.. so I was a little used to discomfort. But I would say it took me a good 8 or 9 months before I really got comfortable. I know that weird bone pain.. would sometimes get it just out of nowhere.. have not had that in a long time. Still get an occasional weird click or knock now and then.. but that bone pain went away.
This is/was the 4th on that knee, so yeah, it always kinda hurt. Last was a full ACL and more, two years ago. That lasted long, huh?

I am just trying to get a handle on the timeline. I fully expected the suffering at first, just trying to figure how long this dull ache and whacks in the knee by the mystery stick will last.

Thanks
captmoto
2/6/2022 11:33pm
EngIceDave wrote:

Thanks
Everyone is different. I was riding again at 3-1/2 months. I have a friend that had both replaced 6 months apart. The first was a breeze for him, playing golf in 3 months. The other was pure hell for about 6 months. It was the same doctor, same procedure, hospital etc., just no rhyme or reason for it.
Are you doing PT? Do you have an aggressive therapist? Did you have any previous work done on your knee? Have you talked to your doctor lately. Good luck.
lumpy790
2/7/2022 4:02pm
Surgery Clock is ticking …… so it’s time to put the for sale sign on Moto Hose so I have time to do it.

captmoto
2/7/2022 10:18pm
lumpy790 wrote:
Surgery Clock is ticking …… so it’s time to put the for sale sign on Moto Hose so I have time to do it. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2022/02/07/532511/s1200_9B2AC6AC_F7D4_49FC_99BE_C0E96EB99D88.jpg[/img]
Surgery Clock is ticking …… so it’s time to put the for sale sign on Moto Hose so I have time to do it.

Son of a bitch!! How do you walk on that?
Bulldog
2/8/2022 4:32am Edited Date/Time 2/8/2022 4:34am
2019 I had my left knee replaced ('86 Tibia Plateau fracture). 16 weeks ago today I had my right replaced. At 12 weeks post op the doc said I was good to go. My knees looked as bad as the above x-ray. Couldn't walk stairs normally. This past weekend I picked up a new 300 (40th anniversary present from the wife). I have not ridden much in the past 3 years but not having to kick is going to make life easier. As far as what my doc said about riding? Enjoy what you want to do and can tolerate.

EngIceDave
2/8/2022 5:53am
captmoto wrote:
Everyone is different. I was riding again at 3-1/2 months. I have a friend that had both replaced 6 months apart. The first was a breeze...
Everyone is different. I was riding again at 3-1/2 months. I have a friend that had both replaced 6 months apart. The first was a breeze for him, playing golf in 3 months. The other was pure hell for about 6 months. It was the same doctor, same procedure, hospital etc., just no rhyme or reason for it.
Are you doing PT? Do you have an aggressive therapist? Did you have any previous work done on your knee? Have you talked to your doctor lately. Good luck.
My PT was done after 6 weeks. I was pretty good through it. I have had 3 previous surgeries on it, ACL x2 and more. I decided to make an appointment with the doctor this week. If he tells me "that's how it is, suck it up," that's what I'll do. I'm pretty good with pain I think (except when wife is near, then I'm whiney...LOL) and this sharp whack to the knee with a stick sucks. The swelling and the electric zaps I can deal with.
EngIceDave
2/8/2022 5:54am
lumpy790 wrote:
Surgery Clock is ticking …… so it’s time to put the for sale sign on Moto Hose so I have time to do it. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2022/02/07/532511/s1200_9B2AC6AC_F7D4_49FC_99BE_C0E96EB99D88.jpg[/img]

AND THAT IS THE MOST FUCKED UP KNEE I HAVE EVER SEEN

How the fuck did you walk? All that fucking walking we did at Universal and Vegas, fuck that shit had to hurt
lumpy790
2/8/2022 10:01am
top 3 reasons every night I take ...

1. 2 Aleve
2. 3 ibuprofen
3. soak in Softub hot tub at 103 degrees.

I have always had a extremely high tolerance to pain where instead of feeling pain it aches.

I guess the good news from the Dr visit is my AC is healing well. Wish I had snapped a pic of that it really showed the screw in my shoulder from the Bristow repair.

Post a reply to: Knee replacement and dirt bike riding

The Latest