Knee protection

Related:
Create New Tag

2/18/2019 6:59 PM

Looking to replace a old set of Leatt 3.0 knee guards that are worn out. I don't use braces but I'm looking for a new set of guards that are comfortable and not too bulky. Also would like something that will provide a little more padding on the inside of my knees where I grip the bike. Curious to see what others are using.

|

2/18/2019 7:07 PM

I use the EVS TP199 knee guard and they feel great. Comfortable, breathe well, and positive connection with the motorcycle, as compared to braces (in my opinion)

|

2/18/2019 7:14 PM

I've had a set of pod k700 carbon braces for a few years now and they are still going strong. I really like the so called "real" ligament feel. I've replaced a few parts on them which is great because all the parts are readily available through wps. Also the new mobius braces are very nice. I've sold quite a few sets since they've came out and the feedback has been very good. They come with lots of extra parts to dial them into your thigh knee and shin type. I've never ridden in them but have tried a set on and they were very comfy. I especially liked the ratchet setup along with the cupped silicone strap that synches down behind your leg...which is where I do get some chaffing with my pods. Knee socks or long spandex are a must for me. Hope that helps. Good luck with whatever you decide on!!

|

2/18/2019 7:27 PM

I’ve been pleased with these. Photo

|

2/18/2019 7:32 PM

Wade221 wrote:

I use the EVS TP199 knee guard and they feel great. Comfortable, breathe well, and positive connection with the motorcycle, as compared to braces (in my opinion)

I second this. These guards are solid.

|

2/19/2019 3:58 AM

yamahaha131 wrote:

I have looked at these. I like the fact that they are not very bulky but worry they won't provide enough protection from a impact to the knee cap area. What's your thought?

|

2/19/2019 4:00 AM

Wade221 wrote:

Any problems with the shin guard portion getting hung up at the top of your boots?

|

2/19/2019 4:33 AM

cowasocki205 wrote:

I've had a set of pod k700 carbon braces for a few years now and they are still going strong. I really like the so called "real" ligament feel. I've replaced a few parts on them which is great because all the parts are readily available through wps. Also the new mobius braces are very nice. I've sold quite a few sets since they've came out and the feedback has been very good. They come with lots of extra parts to dial them into your thigh knee and shin type. I've never ridden in them but have tried a set on and they were very comfy. I especially liked the ratchet setup along with the cupped silicone strap that synches down behind your leg...which is where I do get some chaffing with my pods. Knee socks or long spandex are a must for me. Hope that helps. Good luck with whatever you decide on!!

OP is looking for feedback on knee guards as he doesn't wear braces. Reading is fundamental.

I've had a couple sets of the Fox Titans that I've been rather pleased with.

|

'21 KX250
'20 KTM SX-E5
'21 Husky EE-5
(2) STACYC 16eDrives

2/19/2019 4:49 AM

I wear the Thor Force pads with the hinge, It's like a faux-brace. I like them because they've never moved on my knee and the hinges allows me to grip the bike easier. They are a little bulkier than some others but i quite like that feel. It depends if you like the slim neoprene type or the bulkier plastic type. I know you wanted to have some more padding on the inside of the knees and the bulkier ones tend to have that due to their design. maybe try a few on at your local shop and sit on a display bike see how they feel?

|

2/19/2019 5:31 AM

fy racing 5 pivot knee shin guard

|

Thanks to- Monster energy, Mika metals, DT-1 filters,Factory connection, works connection, factory effex,acerbis,O'Neal,Scott,Hann wheels,Maugra USA, Engine ice,Slick products,Leatt. Yes me sponsors are real.

2/19/2019 5:35 AM

I wear Answer knee/shin guards a lot, because I couldn’t stand knee braces, then went to a Leatt C-frame. Give them a try, you’ll love the feel, just like a knee/shin guard when gripping the bike.

|

2/19/2019 5:53 AM

soopah noviss wrote:

OP is looking for feedback on knee guards as he doesn't wear braces. Reading is fundamental.

I've had a couple sets of the Fox Titans that I've been rather pleased with.

My mistake, I misread. Relax. It happens. I'm sure you've done it yourself at some point in your life.

|

2/19/2019 5:59 AM

Wade221 wrote:

Scull79 wrote:

Any problems with the shin guard portion getting hung up at the top of your boots?

I actually have the what I think is called their “lite” model that doesn’t have that shin portion, solely because I didn’t want the added bulk in my boot. Same design and features, though.

|

2/19/2019 7:01 AM

I wear thor force guards with thin neoprene sleeves underneath. Like what was said above they are a tad bulky. I've tested them a couple times and knee cap protection was great and with the neoprene sleeves it gives extra comfort against any type of hyper extension.

|

2/19/2019 7:14 AM

Wade221 wrote:

Scull79 wrote:

I also have the TP199’s and really enjoy them. Super comfortable, forget they are even on.

I will say to your point, I have short legs, like midget short, so the shin guard portion does add a lot of bulk in the top of my boot. My legs are short enough so they would never get hung up or anything, they are so far down in my boot. I didn’t see they now offer a lite version, probably would be perfect for me.

|

2/19/2019 7:49 AM

Scull79 wrote:

Looking to replace a old set of Leatt 3.0 knee guards that are worn out. I don't use braces but I'm looking for a new set of guards that are comfortable and not too bulky. Also would like something that will provide a little more padding on the inside of my knees where I grip the bike. Curious to see what others are using.

Do you not like your current knee guards? Or just looking for something different? I really like mine. Barely notice them.

|

No brains, No headaches.

2/19/2019 9:14 AM

I have the Leatt Dual axis knee guards. They are very comfortable and provide really good protection.

|

2015 YZ250F

2/19/2019 9:34 AM

Scull79 wrote:

Keith72 wrote:

Do you not like your current knee guards? Or just looking for something different? I really like mine. Barely notice them.

I actually like the 3.0 as they have saved my knees a few times just looking to try something different.

|

2/19/2019 9:35 AM

Thanks for all the replies fellas. Good info.

|

2/19/2019 9:41 AM

Hotwhls wrote:

I have the Leatt Dual axis knee guards. They are very comfortable and provide really good protection.

I just ordered a set of these so this is good to hear.

|

2/19/2019 9:47 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/19/2019 9:47 AM

I have the Leatt EXT knee/shin guards and I love them. Not bulky or restrictive and they have padding on the insides of the knees.

|

2/19/2019 10:54 AM

I with these Leatt dual axis Guards. They are 100x better than any cheap shin guard. I’ve had a leg get caught in a rut a time or two and these protected from tearing anything. Photo

|

2/19/2019 11:34 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/19/2019 11:37 AM

Scull79 wrote:

If you are a Leatt fan, then try these:
https://www.leatt.com/shop/moto/knees-elbows/knee-leg-guards-hard-shell/knee-shin-guard-dual-axis.html

I knew I needed something more than basic knee cups/shin guards, and couldn't get used to full on knee braces. These are the perfect mix in between for me and several buddies close to me that have gone to them.

Edit: I was on an unfreshed page when I responded...I see others have already mentioned the Dual Axis guard...so yeah...another vote for Leatt Dual Axis

|

2/19/2019 12:37 PM

Yeah, the dual axis guards do look like they would be a good option. I do like Leatt products, use their chest protector as well. Thanks guys

|

2/20/2019 4:51 PM

yamahaha131 wrote:

Scull79 wrote:

I have looked at these. I like the fact that they are not very bulky but worry they won't provide enough protection from a impact to the knee cap area. What's your thought?

I have worn cheap knee pads since I was in 80’s, most recently Fox Titans. The Leatt guards are CE impact certified. I cannot find anywhere that says the Titans are. I’m trusting in the certification thus far as I’ve been lucky enough not to truly “test” them out. EVS ones look nice also. Being a shorter guy with big lower legs I do not need the shin protection as the boot provides it.

|

2/21/2019 6:15 PM

I REALLY like my Leatt Dual Axis. Totally recommended.

|