Knee injury...who’s had one?

GasGasOrAss
I have a possible torn ACL or meniscus. Waiting on an mri to confirm what exactly is going on. Racing season is less than a month away for me.

Who has had a knee injury, how severe was it, and how long before you were back riding?

Seriously getting depressed right now
|
Ramrod
Fantasy
1692nd
2/19/2019 3:11pm
Bummer man.

I blew out my left ACL, partial tear to my MCL and torn meniscus. I was out for 7 months but I got it done over the winter. After I healed up a bit initially I continued to ride up until surgery. Before ACL I rode with no knee braces, never have ridden again without. Even if braces are only mental.
zehn
2/19/2019 3:14pm
I ruptured my ACL skiing, got a cadaver as a new one. I could walk fairly normally at 3 months but my recovery was slower than most people I think. You should plan on 4-6 months off the bike
GasGasOrAss
2/19/2019 3:14pm
Ramrod wrote:
Bummer man. I blew out my left ACL, partial tear to my MCL and torn meniscus. I was out for 7 months but I got it...
Bummer man.

I blew out my left ACL, partial tear to my MCL and torn meniscus. I was out for 7 months but I got it done over the winter. After I healed up a bit initially I continued to ride up until surgery. Before ACL I rode with no knee braces, never have ridden again without. Even if braces are only mental.
So you were able to ride before surgery? Maybe I will try that and hold off until the fall. Did you get prescribed a brace and were able to ride with that before surgery?
GasGasOrAss
2/19/2019 3:17pm
zehn wrote:
I ruptured my ACL skiing, got a cadaver as a new one. I could walk fairly normally at 3 months but my recovery was slower than...
I ruptured my ACL skiing, got a cadaver as a new one. I could walk fairly normally at 3 months but my recovery was slower than most people I think. You should plan on 4-6 months off the bike
Fuck

The Shop

Wildeye511
2/19/2019 3:17pm
Ramrod wrote:
Bummer man. I blew out my left ACL, partial tear to my MCL and torn meniscus. I was out for 7 months but I got it...
Bummer man.

I had the exact same thing. One word of advice, do not slack on your physical therapy or you will just take longer to get back to normal.
zehn
2/19/2019 3:25pm
I will say mine was so badly blown that I had surgery two days later. I had no other choice as I couldn’t even put any weight on it without it completely buckling inwards. I couldn’t walk, had to drag myself around the house with my hands haha. That sucked.

You might be able to put the surgery off for a while if you didn’t tear all that badly.
Shawn142
2/19/2019 3:28pm
I've blown out my left ACL 3 times. The last 2 weren't that severe and I just let it heal without surgery. 2 months to get back to walking, 4 or 5 to get back riding. I cycled a lot the last time and that really helped the recovery for me.
Ramrod
Fantasy
1692nd
2/19/2019 3:34pm
So you were able to ride before surgery? Maybe I will try that and hold off until the fall. Did you get prescribed a brace and...
So you were able to ride before surgery? Maybe I will try that and hold off until the fall. Did you get prescribed a brace and were able to ride with that before surgery?
Yes, I don’t think I did any more meniscus damage.

I wasn’t able to get surgery right away to repair the knee but rather a scope to check it all out and take out the damaged Acl. Right way is to fix it all at once
GasGasOrAss
2/19/2019 3:41pm
Shawn142 wrote:
I've blown out my left ACL 3 times. The last 2 weren't that severe and I just let it heal without surgery. 2 months to get...
I've blown out my left ACL 3 times. The last 2 weren't that severe and I just let it heal without surgery. 2 months to get back to walking, 4 or 5 to get back riding. I cycled a lot the last time and that really helped the recovery for me.
The ones that you let heal without surgery.. did you have to take any time off riding?
2/19/2019 3:47pm
Decided racing scrambles was safer than motocross, and nailed a tree with my lower leg at about 40mph.
Dislocated the knee cap so the main patellar tendons had partially torn as well as the ligaments/muscles that keep the kneecap in location and had a 100% tear of the MCL. Knee was bent at such an angle that my foot was about 6" over from where it normally sits, very weird when you go to use your other foot to touch the out of place foot as it isn't where you think it is.
No surgery, it took about 6-7 months for the MCL to grow back, and for the knee to feel "stable" but I can tell it's not as 100% as it used to be, feels like my lower leg could still kick out to the side, but it's likely mostly mental at this point (I'm about 8 months post injury).
I still can't do a single leg squat as I don't have the strength at the front of the knee, but we are about to really increase the strength training for it now that it's fully stable. The pain I'm dealing with is basically similar to the pain you get from lifting weights that are too heavy. Starting an easy running and spinning program, I'll be bike ready a year after the injury... And I will always wear braces from now on.

I used to think the braces would cause a broken bone in a crash like that. But the second I was on the side of the trail and realized it was my joint and not a fracture, I knew I was in for a long recovery instead of 6 weeks in a cast... I would rather break bones than rip a joint apart... Fractures don't hurt quite as much.

Side note: Hare scrambles are just as deadly, trees don't move and it can take a couple hours for them to get you out of the trail bouncing around in a side by side before you can get to an ambulance. We race tight fairly technical single track, not GNCC style trails. Can't really get a race quad in there even.
mxerbear
2/19/2019 3:48pm
I tore everything you can possible tear in bother knees and had them both reconstructed. It was hell I was off the bike for a long damn time, Dr told me I needed them both replaced but I was too young and he wouldn't do that. Like someone said stick to the therapy I didn't and now years later I'm 40 looking like I'm 90 when I walk
NeedMoto
2/19/2019 3:49pm
Tore mine in half, was dangling around. After surgery was back on the bike at about 4 months. Should have waited 6. Took a full year before it felt 100%
Shawn142
2/19/2019 3:53pm
Shawn142 wrote:
I've blown out my left ACL 3 times. The last 2 weren't that severe and I just let it heal without surgery. 2 months to get...
The ones that you let heal without surgery.. did you have to take any time off riding?
Oh hell yes, I had to take time off walking for over a month. I was off the bike for maybe 4 months at least.
zehn
2/19/2019 3:55pm
OP you just need to accept the fact that you’re gonna be off the bike for months regardless
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
2/19/2019 4:28pm
Had my meniscus taken care of in Feb 2012 was back on the bike in May.

My dad just had a knee replacement last Monday and he's already been walking on it. Had him walking a few hours after surgery. Sometimes he needs crutches when he gets tired, but otherwise he's mostly walking and getting himself up the stairs.
tk2stroke
2/19/2019 6:39pm
Ramrod wrote:
Bummer man.

So you were able to ride before surgery? Maybe I will try that and hold off until the fall. Did you get prescribed a brace and...
I'm 6 months ACL post-op (Cadaver) with some MCL and very minor meniscus damage. The reality is...

- At 6 months even with continuous PT, the knee muscles are not near full strength for at least 9-12 months.
- While I will get on the bike casually in a few weeks, it's somewhat risky and much more likely to be re-injured.
- Don't wait for surgery. I waited 3 months and it just prolonged my time off the bike and I highly regret it.
- ACL Surgery is easy, the slow recovery time is the bitch
- Pain will mostly likely come from the torn meniscus repair, depending on how severe the tear is.
- "Walking" quite normally within 4-8 weeks can be expected from ACL, the meniscus could make this longer.
- Do not even consider getting on a bike for at "least" 6 months, unless you are young, super fit, and rehab with a trainer.
- The studies and facts show the knee won't be 100% until 18-24 months.

Sorry for the shit news, but set your expectations properly. I have good knees and this was my 1st surgery. During the whole rehab process I kept thinking I could beat the odds since normal non-active related activity came back within 8-10 weeks, it didn't happen and its become clear it will be quite some time until it's 100%

newmann
2/19/2019 6:43pm
On a moto message board, the easier question would have been, “who here hasn’t had a knee injury?”

Blew mine all to shit back in 1992, doc said 6 months so I didn’t argue. Surgery, therapy and other projects for six months. Sixth month was a race weekend so I loaded up the 74 CR125 and 250 and headed out for a two day event. Took it easy in practice and felt okay. Lined up for the first moto on the 125 against21 other 125’s- 500’s. Told myself to just let everyone go and see how it went. Figured I would end up where I ended up, but then the gate dropped! Holeshot and a moto win...Smile Ended up with three firsts and a second over the weekend. Hooked again
Crush
2/19/2019 6:49pm
Ramrod wrote:
Bummer man.

Wildeye511 wrote:
I had the exact same thing. One word of advice, do not slack on your physical therapy or you will just take longer to get back...
I had the exact same thing. One word of advice, do not slack on your physical therapy or you will just take longer to get back to normal.
This a thousand times over. Rehab is soooo important.
Press516
Fantasy
90th
2/19/2019 6:58pm
Both ACL's, an MCL and 3 reconstruction surgeries. 2 were done before they had any ACL fixes. Now? Going to have both knees replaced in the next 5 years. Be glad the patella tendon transfer was perfected years ago. Going without the repair will greatly increase the deterioration rate of the knee as you get older.
Marty1028
Fantasy
994th
2/19/2019 7:08pm
Ramrod wrote:
Bummer man.

Tore mine in may. Rode all summer on it. Got the op done in september. The pain was hell. But if you really wanna race its possible.
2/19/2019 7:30pm
Ramrod wrote:
Bummer man.

tk2stroke wrote:
I'm 6 months ACL post-op (Cadaver) with some MCL and very minor meniscus damage. The reality is... - At 6 months even with continuous PT, the...
I'm 6 months ACL post-op (Cadaver) with some MCL and very minor meniscus damage. The reality is...

- At 6 months even with continuous PT, the knee muscles are not near full strength for at least 9-12 months.
- While I will get on the bike casually in a few weeks, it's somewhat risky and much more likely to be re-injured.
- Don't wait for surgery. I waited 3 months and it just prolonged my time off the bike and I highly regret it.
- ACL Surgery is easy, the slow recovery time is the bitch
- Pain will mostly likely come from the torn meniscus repair, depending on how severe the tear is.
- "Walking" quite normally within 4-8 weeks can be expected from ACL, the meniscus could make this longer.
- Do not even consider getting on a bike for at "least" 6 months, unless you are young, super fit, and rehab with a trainer.
- The studies and facts show the knee won't be 100% until 18-24 months.

Sorry for the shit news, but set your expectations properly. I have good knees and this was my 1st surgery. During the whole rehab process I kept thinking I could beat the odds since normal non-active related activity came back within 8-10 weeks, it didn't happen and its become clear it will be quite some time until it's 100%

This is a really good post.
It takes FOREVER to get back to normal. My physio and Ortho both say I'm meeting or exceeding their expectations but it feels so slow.
I'm sure that first ride back will just feel like a bad idea at first.
motorscross
Fantasy
538th
2/19/2019 7:38pm
I am 8 weeks out from an ACL surgery with a Patellar graft, along with full medial meniscus tear, and lateral meniscus root tear. All of the research I am doing is showing the acl graft wont be 100% for 9-12 months. The re-tear rate is pretty high at 6 months, and drops a good bit percentage wise with each month after. Take your time, riding isnt worth the potential re-tear risk. As painful as it is for me to stay off the bike so long (im a pro mtb racer and going to miss most of my season), my thought is the that the trouble of the surgery isnt worth not waiting a couple more weeks/months than originally planned. The knee might feel great at 4 months, but fuck riding with an ACL 40% of its original tearing strength.
shunter986
Fantasy
647th
2/19/2019 7:52pm Edited Date/Time 2/19/2019 8:02pm
Ramrod wrote:
Bummer man.

It all depends on the injury. I tore my acl mcl and miniscus. I had a badly damaged knee and a lot of effort to repair/cut away what was not needed anymore. I was unable to ride before surgery because it kept slipping out even with the brace on. Your looking at 6 months. I hope your all good and don’t need surgery!

I will say even with all the stuff wrong with my knee I made a 100 percent recovery and that knee is probably doing better 14 years later then the other. It took me about a year to get to riding. Released at six month but still had considerable pain. At 1 year I was good as new.
crt32
2/19/2019 7:56pm
Tore my ACL this summer, took a few months off and did rehab; elected the non-surgery route. So far haven't noticed any issue with my knee while riding. My torn ACL honestly feels better than my good knee at times.
Spagina767
2/19/2019 8:02pm
ACL, MCL, Meniscus reconstruction 10/13/06. Raced my first race in March 2007. Zero rehab or PT, because I was broke (and very stupid). Knee turned out fine but I have some atrophy I still cant shake - left leg and calf is a bit smaller than right leg. Since then I have squatted 325, deadlifted 425, raced for years and ran plenty of miles with minimal issues.

That said, in September, I hurt the same knee wake boarding. I think what I did would have hurt a knee even if it wasn't previously injured. I have not got an MRI on this one yet, but at minimum I have a torn lateral meniscus. Fixing it kind of doesn't work out in my plans right now, so I am planning on getting an MRI this fall, and scheduling my inevitable surgery for mid December, so I can get most of my fall riding/ hunting season in but heal up for spring 2020.
2/19/2019 8:35pm
If I can add one more thing, as a guy that has had two ACL repairs (with meniscus) - if you have any time before your operation, PREHAB as best you can. Start working with a physiotherapist, or even a good functional exercise personal trainer BEFORE you go in for surgery. It will make a world of difference on everything from your pain level, to your speed of recovery, and the strength level that you ultimately get back to.

Most people get injured, sit fairly idle awaiting surgery (sometimes by choice, sometimes due to sport withdrawal/depression), and then have to dig themselves out of a deeper whole post operative. Consider starting the hard work of recovery now, you won't regret it.
swtwtwtw
2/19/2019 9:28pm
Who hasn’t had a knee injury?

Be patient, the depression passes and when you get back to riding, you will feel awesome.
Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1177th
2/19/2019 10:58pm
Dr report after a judo injury (teenagers can be hazardous to your health) back in June of 2016:
1) Complete tear ACL
2) Small full-thickness tear MCL
3) Low-grade partial tear or sprain LCL
4) Associated tear of the posterior attachment medial retinaculum with fissure of the patellar cartilage, probably traumatic.
5) Partial tear posterolateral corner structures.
6) Mild thinning of the medial compartment cartilage.
7) Moderate strain injury of the popliteus and soleus muscles.
8) Peripheral tear medial meniscus with meniscocapsular injury.
9) Meniscocapsular injury lateral meniscus.
10) Large effusion with fluid extravasation.

Some dead guy was nice enough to donate his ACL and MCL; Dr did some work on the patella and medial meniscus while he was in there.

PT was a bugger, and if I ever blow the other knee out I won't wait months before moving the knee. I think that's why my range of motion still doesn't match my right knee. After 2 1/2 years it still hurts all the time, and aches while in certain positions while laying down. Arthritis has certainly set in, and the amount of sugar I eat has a surprisingly significant impact on the discomfort level my knee offers me on a daily basis (a couple doughnuts and it'll ache for a day or two). I've been able to return to judo, jujitsu, and motocross; fortunately the regular exercise helps keep the discomfort level down. 48 years old, btw.
Motofinne
2/19/2019 11:45pm Edited Date/Time 2/19/2019 11:45pm
2 ACL reconstructions and one meniscus.

All these injuries are different but count on 4-6 months with an ACL (6 and 9 for me when i did it) and about 2 for meniscus. The better you work on rehab the sooner you'll be back on the bike.
motomike137
2/20/2019 4:44am
I have a possible torn ACL or meniscus. Waiting on an mri to confirm what exactly is going on. Racing season is less than a month...
I have a possible torn ACL or meniscus. Waiting on an mri to confirm what exactly is going on. Racing season is less than a month away for me.

Who has had a knee injury, how severe was it, and how long before you were back riding?

Seriously getting depressed right now
All injuries are different. You have to be the judge. As a previous poster said if you end up having re-constructive surgery you will be out for a while. I had the same as Crush but never had my ACL repaired. It still took me a few months of rehab to get back on the bike and I didn't trust my knee for quite a while after that. It sucks.

Post a reply to: Knee injury...who’s had one?

The Latest