Knee cartilage surgery - anybody deal with any of these?

Related:
Create New Tag

9/5/2018 4:26 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/5/2018 4:30 PM

I’m 34 years old and 5 weeks ago had a knee cartilage replacement surgery called MACI procedure. It was a two part surgery. First June 11th the went in arthoscopically and cleaned things up and took a tic tac size piece of cartilage. They regrew my own cells which were then adhered to porcine collagen membrane. On July 30th I had the major surgery where they fully opened up my knee and implanted the graft into my two chondral defects, 3cm x 1.5cm medial trochlear defect and a smaller 6mm x 6mm medial tibial plateau defect.

Recovery is long, probably the longest of any orthopedic surgery I can think of. Non weight bearing for 8 weeks. Return to light activity at 6 months. Return to full activity in 9-12 months. Just wondering if anybody out there in the moto world has gone through this procedure or similar such as OATS / allograft / ACi procedures.

I know MACI is new in the United States but figured id throw it out there see if anybody out there has returned to moto and if so how long did it take?

Here’s a picture of the one defect before and after the graft was placed.

|

9/5/2018 4:27 PM

|

9/5/2018 4:32 PM

Sorry here’s the before and after photos
Photo
Photo

|

9/5/2018 4:38 PM

You damn sure needed it! Shit!

|

9/5/2018 5:01 PM

I think I met someone at PT that had that. He couldn't describe in detail but it sounded similar.

|

The older I get, the faster I was.

9/5/2018 6:53 PM

No but I have about 3 pieces of cartilage in my left knee about the size of a dime floating around loose that feels really creepy. Ortho said it's bone on bone, but it doesn't hurt or bother me too much. Just sometimes gets caught in my knee joint and locks me up. Doc told me I needed a new knee. I said, not happening until I can't take it anymore - which right now is a long ways away. Hell, my hip hurts 10X worse than my knee.

Do they have this surgery for the hip?

|

9/6/2018 4:37 AM

I believe the MACi procedure in the US is only approved for knees. Also it’s not approved for osteoarthritis and generalized joint disease. It is approved for a specific cartilage defect with otherwise normal surrounding cartilage. Also must be under age 50 I believe.

The good news is you should ever need a hip replacement they are better then a knee replacement right now.

|

9/6/2018 7:19 AM

very cool! good luck with recovery. I've had friends undergo microfracture and have had mixed results. The non weight bearing period is crucial.

|

9/6/2018 7:29 AM

Everyone heals differently so whatever it took someone to recover probably doesn't relate to you. Also, your doc and PT may have a different opinion from someone elses doc/PT as far as "healed" goes. Your recovery also depends on how closely you follow your docs orders and how you pursue your PT and where you do your PT. I felt ready to ride at 3 months after TKR, I waited another month until I saw the doc and he gave the go ahead. You've got a long way to go and you don't want to fuck this up because I would bet good money a do over would be a worse recovery along with almost another year.

|

The older I get, the faster I was.

9/6/2018 7:33 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/6/2018 7:34 AM

Thanks guys. Yes microfracture is a bit of an old school technique for small defects with as you said mixed results. This technique has higher success rates with much better long term graft success. Hopefully I’m one of the 86% with good to excellent results ??

|

9/6/2018 8:18 AM

Hi RedDragon, thanks for sharing this as I'm having similar problems. I had osteohondritis disecans level IV, which left me with a 2x2cm hole. I tried microfracture back in 2009, but with no success. Since then, I'm still searching for something else as here in Croatia there is not much left.

I then worked with Gajser's doctor, which helped me a ton, but there is still pain and missing part of cartilage. I would strongly recommend ozone therapy, which will help you with pain and help the tissue/cartilage with faster and better healing. I did ozone therapy and it helped me a lot, but make sure you are ready to endure the pain as the injection goes straight into your knee, in the affected area.

|