Knee braces...what's your top pick?

Related:
Create New Tag

12/6/2020 4:56 AM

Looking for a new pair of knee braces. I've only had Asterisk Cell in the past and they were fine I suppose. They were the original versions that had the lacing system behind the knee for those who remember.

Price isn't a factor so help me choose the set that offers the greatest level of protection and that are also comfortable.

Thanks fellas!

|

'20 FC450...'19 TC125

12/6/2020 5:25 AM

I have custom CTi braces but was given them for ski racing as part of a sponsorship. Definitely the best braces IMO but if you can't get a deal then they are out of a lot of people's price range.

|

12/6/2020 5:32 AM

Mobius

|

MXPawPaw on Facebook

@mxpawpaw on instagram

12/6/2020 6:01 AM

I have custom CTI braces.
I wouldn’t call them comfortable.
They often feel like they are falling down a little bit.
The hinge pads have degraded, and it’s A$500 to replace them. New hinges apparently.

I feel they have saved my (already damaged) knees a few times. And don’t ride dirt bikes without them.

I’m watching this thread, as the 5 hundy could go towards a new set (different brand)

|

12/6/2020 6:04 AM

I have had 2 pair of Pods, both were very good, comfortable, easily serviced with new parts when needed. My current set are about ready for replacement... likely get their newer versions.

|

12/6/2020 6:07 AM

I have used several including CTi. Mine finally just wore out from abuse and I started using off the shelf braces. My current ones are Pods. They stay in place better than any others I have used. Mine always tended to move down my leg as I rode and sweated. They are also really comfortable to wear, even more than the custom braces.

|

12/6/2020 6:43 AM

Does anyone know what brand is able to be covered by some insurance company? I don't remember which one it is

|

themotolog.com The only offroad bike specific logbook available

12/6/2020 6:50 AM

EVS TP199

It’s not a “true” brace, but I cannot stress how comfortable they are and how much support the compression wrap inside gives my knees.

I had those and Leatte dual axis recommended to me when I made a post about it a while back. Haven’t tried the Leattes.

|

12/6/2020 6:55 AM

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

12/6/2020 6:57 AM

I love the Leatt C-frames, they are the only braces that let me hug the bike with my knees like I used to before wearing braces.

|

12/6/2020 6:57 AM

Another vote for Mobius. I have tried two other high end brands and the Mobius braces are on another level for comfort, durability, and staying in position throughout the day. Give em a try I’m sure you will not be disappointed as my entire riding circle has transitioned to these and everyone is happy. Customer service is top notch as well.

|

12/6/2020 7:01 AM

Total destruction of right knee. Not once but twice.
I went from cti that cost three arms a leg and two puppies including pick of the litter, to a pod carbon and actually like the pod k8 better.
Just fits me better and I feel it has more support in the lateral , twisting type support.

|

12/6/2020 7:06 AM

Carbon cells. Have had several asterisk braces in the past, these blow them away. Was searching for new braces, tried everything out there. For me these are the most comfortable. You don’t even know they are there compared to the older ones. Asterisks customer service is the best I’ve ever seen from a company.

|

12/6/2020 7:10 AM

dcg141 wrote:

I have used several including CTi. Mine finally just wore out from abuse and I started using off the shelf braces. My current ...more

Agreed . Had custom ctis. Kept breaking the plastic tabs for the straps. Slid down constantly. I now have pods. Ive had them for about 6 years so I think they are first generation. Very comfy. Don't slide down. I do rebuild the hinges every 2 years though.

|

12/6/2020 7:20 AM

If you ask Orthopaedic surgeons, or physiotherapists, they will all tell you the DonJoy Defiance 3 is the best knee brace on the market.

|

Rent free...

12/6/2020 7:45 AM

I’ve had Asterisk and Pods. I preferred the Pods (more comfortable, felt better against the bike).

As an asterisk (see what I did there...), both were the first gen models from years ago. After taking a four year break from riding, my knees felt ok without braces. I never truly felt comfortable riding with braces, but for quite awhile, it was the only way to ride for me.

|

12/6/2020 8:07 AM

jbonemalone wrote:

I went from cti that cost three arms a leg and two puppies including ...more

Which braces were you wearing during these total destructions?

|

12/6/2020 8:17 AM

+1 for the Pods. Used to run Asterisk, who provide the BEST technical support/rebuild program, but had to replace parts semi-annually and send them in for refurbs. With the Pods, I've gotten 4+ years out of one pair of the old(er) generation K4's and have been able to replace parts (synthetic ligament and patella cups) on my own. Have heard good things about Mobius as well, but the single strap steel tether can be troublesome for knee brace abusers.

|

12/6/2020 8:44 AM

jbonemalone wrote:

I went from cti that cost three arms a leg and two puppies including ...more

Brad460 wrote:

Which braces were you wearing during these total destructions?

The last time I fell off a roof so no brace at all.
The first time it was an older alpine star

|

12/6/2020 8:44 AM

I just bought my 3rd set of pods. These are the new ones with the new knee protection design.

The older pods were love hate for me...fit was perfect as was comfort, but the knee protection would jam up so I couldn't extend my leg. Hoping this is fixed with the new design

|

12/6/2020 11:11 AM

I have CTI customs and I'll never go back to anything else.

|

12/6/2020 11:31 AM

Pod.

|

12/6/2020 12:42 PM

Seems to be quite a bit of love for the Pods. Those of you that have recommended the Pod, are you talking about the K8 2.0 or a different variation?

|

'20 FC450...'19 TC125

12/6/2020 12:45 PM

Mobuis is the only good pair or riding braces I have owned, and I like them a lot, they stay put pretty good, and offer excellent protection from impact too. I started wearing them after I tore my left acl, I wore right knee only Don Joy for years but I don’t think I could have rode with it.

|

12/6/2020 1:11 PM

Hi Side wrote:

Seems to be quite a bit of love for the Pods. Those of you that have recommended the Pod, are you talking about the K8 2.0 or ...more

I own the K4 2.0.

I still have a newer pair of Asterisk and a pair of EVS as back ups, but the Pod is the most secure, best fitting brace I've worn. I don't feel them when they are on.

|

12/6/2020 2:02 PM

Mobius since 2016, no issues and their staff up in Idaho is super helpful. Although considering switching to Leatt Dual axis knee pads since I've never had any issues with my knees and it would be nice to have some more movement with my legs while riding.

|

Don't ever let facts get in the way of a great story

12/6/2020 2:23 PM

Another vote for the POD K8 (latest version). I ave had CTi2 before and the POD K8 is very close in quality and construction , at 1/2 or less of the cost. Tried the Mobius and sent them back. The main function of a knee brace is to keep your knee in line and to not let it bend past it's "design limits" in any direction - with the Mobius, it felt very flexy if you grabbed a hinge in each hand and pushed in/out, not to mention very hot/sweaty as there is no breathability . The CTi2, POD K8, and others that give good support,will feel restrictive at first. Just give it a little time and get used to it, and realize you are after protection first!

|

12/6/2020 4:16 PM

I tried a few brands like alpinestars carbon tech and PODs. Yes the were light but no matter what I did I could never get them to fit me correctly. Sold both of them and bought some off the shelf CTis, I think around 800 for the pair and I couldn’t be more happy. They are lightweight and most importantly (to me) I can make them fit like a glove because the brace allows infinite adjustability. For 800 with the patella cup and mix kit for both braces it was a no brainer for me.

|

12/6/2020 4:19 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/6/2020 4:21 PM

The Moto Log wrote:

Does anyone know what brand is able to be covered by some insurance company? I don't remember which one it is

I have CTi for my left knee that insurance paid for. I have Tri-care insurance.

I haven’t rode with it yet, but I run in it, although it takes a little getting used to running with it on. Finding the right tension for the straps for running takes a little getting used to.

|

12/6/2020 7:42 PM

Let's create some ruckus with the CTI crowd. CTI custom braces are awful and from my experience no one should wear them. For context, in the past handful of years I've extensively worn the original POD K100, POD K4's, Mobius X8, and two pairs of custom CTI braces.

I am convinced most people who ride with custom or off the shelf CTI braces have not used the top off-the-shelf knee braces. Not only are they far less comfortable than the K4s or Mobius X8's, in my opinion they are dangerous. The upper most portion of the brace is made of a very rigid carbon fiber with a relatively sharp edge that sits above the middle of the femur. There is no padding and this edge digs into the leg and I suspect it is more likely to lead to breaking your femur. I have no science to back this suspicion up, other than knowing how they feel when riding and seeing seeing several high profile CTI riders (Malcom Stewart comes first to mind) who have broken their femur riding with CTI's. Additionally, I find their optional knee cap cups to be a poor solution compared to what other pure MX braces provide. The whole "custom" brace thing is also a gimmick. CTI simply manually measures your leg circumference and builds a semi-customer brace. For $1200 I would expect a more comprehensive molding fitting process and true custom brace. Get CTI braces at your own risk, flame on!

In my experience, I thought the POD K4's were excellent in design, fitment, and general protection. However, after rupturing my ACL last year I was looking for something possibly with better protection. The Mobius X8's were the answer. The X8 have a unique cable routing system and a back plate that supports the tendon and ligaments of the knee itself compared the the typical 4 strap system used around the upper and lower portion of the legs by all other braces. The Mobius actually braces the knew area directly and you can feel how it supports the knee as soon as you tighten the back plate using the cable system.

As much as I loved the K4's, the X8's from my perspective are superior in protection and every bit as comfortable.

|