Knee braces... Too many choices

josh8811
7/3/2013 9:18pm Edited Date/Time 7/4/2013 5:00pm
It's time for me to buy a set of braces. Not because I've got an issue, but I would just like to prevent one. Desert rider/racer here. Over 30.

What experiences has everyone had with braces they've bought? I bought a pair of asterisk braces a couple of years ago, Couldn't come to terms with the fit and restriction.

At the moment, my eyes are on the troylee's.

What have you guys found are comfortable for the long haul? A short day for me is two 1-hour motos at the track, a long day can be 7 hours on the bike.

I've measured my leg several times and I'm right between a medium and a large in theTL's. my knee cap is a medium and my upper ad lower leg are closer to a large, This makes the decision particularly difficult.
|
NP301
7/3/2013 9:24pm Edited Date/Time 7/3/2013 9:26pm
These are supposed to be really good $250, pretty good price too.

Also, if you want something cheaper around $150. I have these ones and the conform to your knee and so far are very reliable and work great. I haven't gotten injured with them yet.

" I bought a pair of asterisk braces a couple of years ago, Couldn't come to terms with the fit and restriction. "

The second pair is very unrestricted and kinda forms to you leg, if set up properly.
GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
7/3/2013 9:25pm
Too many choices? I'll take that any day over too few. Smile
NP301
7/3/2013 9:27pm Edited Date/Time 7/3/2013 9:28pm
GuyB wrote:
Did you just post this to let us know your hear? I've been noticing your posts have been a lot like this lately. Tongue
GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
7/3/2013 9:30pm
You mean here? Just checking out what people have to say. I do that a lot. Smile

Of course, there are also some threads I avoid like the plague.

The Shop

josh8811
7/3/2013 9:32pm
GuyB wrote:
Agree!! What do you wear Guy?
bryan
7/3/2013 9:35pm
I got some PODs for the same reason, to prevent injury. No complaints at all over here. I believe your knees swell up a bit when you ride, so if you're between sizes while resting, you'd want to error on the larger side.
GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
7/3/2013 9:41pm
I have a set of Asterisks, but to be honest, I'm not doing much riding lately, other than road or mountain bikes. I've got a combo of injuries and arthritis in my hands that's making it tough to do moto stuff.

The last race I did was A Day In The Dirt a couple years ago. My hands were screaming for the first couple laps of each race (I did one race each day), and then both of them would go completely numb after a lap or so. I was used to my left hand going numb after 30 minutes or so because of a broke wrist suffered years ago, but the rapid numbness in both was new, and scary. The hands were doing everything I'd ask, but I was spooked on how secure my grip actually was.
Randy_Nix
7/3/2013 9:41pm Edited Date/Time 7/3/2013 9:42pm
I run asterisk cyto cell. Great brace. You Can hardly tell that your wearing them. They also have a boot strap to prevent your knee from twisting. Worth the money IMO
Johnston1
7/3/2013 11:31pm
I just got the new astric cyto cell I liked them way better then the old red cells the for is tottaly different and they don't have to be sized perfect to your legs to still be comfy
EddieC
7/3/2013 11:58pm

If you have found a few that you like and a pair of Asterisks are one of them, might I suggest going with the brand that helps me and my crew help your favorite rider stay out on the track. Thanks in advance.
C.Worthy
7/4/2013 1:22am Edited Date/Time 7/4/2013 1:23am
I recently bought the new Asterisk Cyto Cells. I've only ridden with them 3 times but so far they've worked out well. After the first five minutes of riding with them I couldn't even tell I was wearing anything. They're really slim and fit in my pants nicely. I've had a couple tip overs and they seemed to work fine. Just a little wearing of the paint on the frame of the braces. Not sure if that's normal but they are doing the job so far.
HenryA
7/4/2013 4:54am
Did you have the old Asterisks or the new ones? The new ones are really an improvement. Try them out!
gyd58
7/4/2013 7:12am
My son has had several knee braces. This is what he has experienced;

1. Webb: They fit pretty good but they fell apart. They also shredded graphics with the hinges.

2. Asterisk original Cells: wore these for years, bulky but worked pretty well and lasted pretty long between rebuilds. Not bad on graphics.

3. Asterisk Ultra Cell: went through 2 pairs of these very quickly. same bulky feel as original cells but the strapping system just feel apart.

4. Pod K700s: Great fitting brace, very comfortable and light. Only problem was the padding would come out and braces would move around. Over time padding would be all duct tapped in. Had 2 sets and switched to the TLD.

5. TLD: These are also light and fit great. Have had zero issues with anything with these braces.
bullpen658
7/4/2013 9:46am
I've had and used Asterisk cells for about 12 years or whatever. No experience with anything else because I like them so much. They last FOREVER and the company is really good with customer service. I sent an old pair in to get rebuilt but they took too long to get them back and I missed a race (I'm too broke to buy more than one pair at a time). I was pretty upset but they made me feel better by sending me the refurbished braces with NO CHARGE!!! That was why I chose to buy another pair of Cells when I needed a new pair. Actually, the old pair is still useable and I saved them for use as a back-up to my current pair.

I don't ride very much (usually in the hospital or at a local buffet eating) but in 12 years or whatever, I've only had to buy two pairs and, like I said, I probably could still be using the original pair. The only reason I got a new pair was that the old ones started to feel "loose" and one hinge fell out or whatever. That was after YEARS of use.

Anyways, I love the Asterisks and would not hesitate to buy another pair if I had the money. Not sure about the "ultra cells" that gyd58 mentioned. Those might be the white ones and if so, I haven't tried those.

If you ride a dirt bike and do NOT own a pair of high quality knee braces, you're really fucking up. Just my opinion.
ML512
Fantasy
36th
7/4/2013 9:59am
Had the older style cells from asterisk, very supportive, bit bulky... at that time i was riding allot (4 times a week) had to rebuild them pretty often. Currently wearing the POD K700s, they are lighter and less restrictive, but a lil bit less supportive. I really like the overall feel of the POD's though, reminds me more of a custom cti with the build being so thin and easy to move in. I haven't tried the TLD's but have heard good things about them, just that they run a bit small. I've seen the new cyto cells a few times and tried a pair on. The guys I know running them have great things to say about them. Some of the lower end stuff and other brands I haven't heard the best about. I think the POD's, TLD's and Asterisk's offerings are some of the best places to look. They all have slight different fits too, so best bet is find somewhere you can try most of these on back and forth (take your boots, socks and pants too, some braces don't fit as well with certain boots and pants as you probably already know).
50dippin
7/4/2013 10:06am
I've had the asteriks and I'm not a fan. They are bulky and still allow your knee to shift side to side. I'm using the tld catalyst x at the moment and I really like them. They are the most comfortable braces I've ever worn, don't even notice there on. The only downside is that the pads leave an area above the knee exposed to impacts. Once fitted properly the patellar cup stays nicely and provides good knee cap protection.
7/4/2013 10:42am
Had the Asterisk, liked em.
Had the POD's, liked em.,
Have the DonJoy's Love them... Movement is unrestricted, lateral stability and hyper extension protection are supurb...

R.
josh8811
7/4/2013 4:45pm
I had the older asterisk's.. The red ones with the laces in the back. I could deal with them, but I knew they were there then entire time and it took a little more energy to lift and extend my leg.

It's cool to see the asterisk's crew responding to this thread. Maybe I will try a set of their new braces.

Maybe the best thing to do is call them and see if I can return them if they don't work for me. Braces are a huge investment and it sucks not being able to go and be professionally fitted. I would even put a deposit on a refurbished pair to try out, return them if I liked them and buy a new pair.

I've tried on the pod braces and they fit pretty good. I just didn't care for the cheesy knee cap cup. There was literally almost nothing between your knee cap and the ground.

Post a reply to: Knee braces... Too many choices

The Latest