Knee Brace Suggestions

Hoks
Edited Date/Time 7/28/2021 5:59am
Who has torn an ACL and now has experience with knee braces? I’m looking at Mobius, PodMX, or the Ossur CTI. Price point really doesn’t matter at this point as I don’t wanna have to go through that therapy again. Insurance may or may not cover some of the brace.

I’m sure this topic has been discussed before but I apparently suck at searching the forums. So if someone has a good link to another post please post.
|
1/27/2020 8:41am
If insurance will pay, even part, I would get custom CTI's. Otherwise I would start trying on different brands to get a feel for what fits you well. Braces are like helmets, you get what you pay for and fit is one of the most important aspects.
I wear EVS Web Pro's and love them.
langhammx
Fantasy
581st
1/27/2020 8:55am Edited Date/Time 1/27/2020 5:52pm
Agree on the CTI Custom braces, as they will be your best bet. Without insurance, you’re looking at $1750 per brace, I believe. My insurance covered mine, after I wrecked them both in a crash. It’s been 15 years and they have been replaced by several different brands of knee braces in the last 10 years.

I’ve used EVS Carbon, Mobius, Asterisk cell, Asterisk Ultra Cell and most recently the Asterisk Carbon braces. I can say without a doubt, the new Carbon braces are the lightest, most comfortable knee braces I’ve ever worn. At $799, they are a little pricey, but I will be wearing these from now on, unless Asterisk comes out with something better.

I’ve torn the meniscus and ACL on my left knee and MCL and meniscus on my left knee. I was wearing a set of Asterisk Cell braces when I crashed, but given the severity of my crash, I’m very thankful I had them on. I ended up with 6 fractured vertebrae’s and a tib/ fib break on my left leg as well.
Hoks
1/27/2020 9:01am
What was the process for insurance? Did you get cleared then buy your own for a reimbursement? Or did you have to have your doctor specifically prescribe a brand?
mtl
1/27/2020 9:25am
Mobius, two ACL's, a femur and I've worn them all...

The Shop

YZed250
1/27/2020 10:20am
langhammx wrote:
Agree on the CTI Custom braces, as they will be your best bet. Without insurance, you’re looking at $1750 per brace, I believe. My insurance covered...
Agree on the CTI Custom braces, as they will be your best bet. Without insurance, you’re looking at $1750 per brace, I believe. My insurance covered mine, after I wrecked them both in a crash. It’s been 15 years and they have been replaced by several different brands of knee braces in the last 10 years.

I’ve used EVS Carbon, Mobius, Asterisk cell, Asterisk Ultra Cell and most recently the Asterisk Carbon braces. I can say without a doubt, the new Carbon braces are the lightest, most comfortable knee braces I’ve ever worn. At $799, they are a little pricey, but I will be wearing these from now on, unless Asterisk comes out with something better.

I’ve torn the meniscus and ACL on my left knee and MCL and meniscus on my left knee. I was wearing a set of Asterisk Cell braces when I crashed, but given the severity of my crash, I’m very thankful I had them on. I ended up with 6 fractured vertebrae’s and a tib/ fib break on my left leg as well.
Yikes!
YZed250
1/27/2020 10:22am
I've had CTI OTS braces and Pod (a couple of sets) and the Pod braces were my favorite so far.
The CTIs didn't seem as durable as the PODs, and the hinge was a lot more rough on my pants and shrouds. The fit on the PODs was a lot better, also.
Zaugg
1/27/2020 11:20am
Hoks wrote:
What was the process for insurance? Did you get cleared then buy your own for a reimbursement? Or did you have to have your doctor specifically...
What was the process for insurance? Did you get cleared then buy your own for a reimbursement? Or did you have to have your doctor specifically prescribe a brand?
Need to get a script from your doctor and double-triple check to make sure your insurance covers knee braces.

If you're planning to spend your own money, Ossur/ CIT are a medical device company. They're custom fit to you which means the work to your body geometry and kinematics.

If you want a cheaper alternative, look to Asterisk. Just be sure to try on any off the shelf brace before you buy. Not all braces will work with you and fit comfortably.

An uncomfortable brace is a brace you probably won't wear.
Hoks
1/27/2020 11:45am
Right on, I’m working with TRICARE so braces are hit and miss. I’m expecting to pay outta pocket but would love a little help from insurance.
Moto520
1/27/2020 12:29pm
i have the CTI/ Ossur custom braces. I actually prefer the Mobius to the custom CTI. The old PODS were really good....not sure on the new ones.
Jaybird67k
1/27/2020 12:45pm
I'm a Mobius guy with Pods and EVS being the two previous to the Mobius.

Jason
Broughton859
1/27/2020 12:57pm
Torn ACL here and went through Insurance for the CTI's which worked for the bad leg but insurance wouldn't approve a brace for my other leg since it wasn't hurt. I tried to go the preventative route but they weren't having it. I'm assuming everyones insurance will be different on this.

I wear PODs now and I'm liking them a lot. They saved me from tearing my other Knee and thankfully my ligaments only stretched that time and nothing was torn. I would take a broken bone any day over tearing up my knees
Tuna
1/27/2020 1:11pm
Insurance covered a set of the newest CTi custom braces. $3500! I like them, way better than the previous version. I also have a couple sets of PODS as well. Asterisks make a great brace as well.
bvm111
1/27/2020 1:18pm
Hoks wrote:
Right on, I’m working with TRICARE so braces are hit and miss. I’m expecting to pay outta pocket but would love a little help from insurance.
Are you on active duty and working with Tri-Care? If yes I would be very interested on how you are working on that! I asked and my current PCM just laughed at me!
Hoks
1/27/2020 2:35pm
Hoks wrote:
bvm111 wrote:
Are you on active duty and working with Tri-Care? If yes I would be very interested on how you are working on that! I asked and...
Are you on active duty and working with Tri-Care? If yes I would be very interested on how you are working on that! I asked and my current PCM just laughed at me!
I am active duty, but I’m working with a surgeon out in town who is more than happy to write me a prescription. I’m just unsure on if TRICARE would honor it.

I may have to go the route of saying it’s gonna be needed to prevent re-injury during training exercises. But yea, it’s doubtful, that’s why I’m not banking on it.
Justin_P
Fantasy
4041st
1/27/2020 2:44pm
Hoks wrote:
Interested to see how that works out for you as I also have TRICARE and had a quad/knee injury this fall. I was planning to just pay out of pocket but curious to see if they'll do anything for you.
bvm111
1/27/2020 2:51pm
Hoks wrote:
bvm111 wrote:
Are you on active duty and working with Tri-Care? If yes I would be very interested on how you are working on that! I asked and...
Hoks wrote:
I am active duty, but I’m working with a surgeon out in town who is more than happy to write me a prescription. I’m just unsure...
I am active duty, but I’m working with a surgeon out in town who is more than happy to write me a prescription. I’m just unsure on if TRICARE would honor it.

I may have to go the route of saying it’s gonna be needed to prevent re-injury during training exercises. But yea, it’s doubtful, that’s why I’m not banking on it.
My understanding is that Tri Care will honor prescriptions from civilian doctors, send it in and see what they say! I would be very interested to find out if they will.

That being said both Mobius and Astrisk have very generous military discounts well above and beyond the usual 10%. Just send them an email and they will get back to you within a day with the info!
Hoks
1/27/2020 3:42pm
Nice looking out, I’ll keep you updated on if I can get TRICARE to cover it lol
50dippin
1/27/2020 11:28pm
Anyone have a solution to braces tearing up pants. Just got some new Oneil gear and the pants had a hole after 3 laps, literally lasted less than 10 minutes. I'm wearing K4 pods v2. My old TLD braces had a velcro/woven cover over the hinge that saved my pants, I'd love to find something similar to rig onto them.
MXBen711
1/28/2020 3:29am
50dippin wrote:
Anyone have a solution to braces tearing up pants. Just got some new Oneil gear and the pants had a hole after 3 laps, literally lasted...
Anyone have a solution to braces tearing up pants. Just got some new Oneil gear and the pants had a hole after 3 laps, literally lasted less than 10 minutes. I'm wearing K4 pods v2. My old TLD braces had a velcro/woven cover over the hinge that saved my pants, I'd love to find something similar to rig onto them.
Hi, what size PODs are you wearing?

I had this before when the sizing was a little off, but only in the previous version as the hinge sticks out more.

Do you have a picture of where they wore through?
mwssquad827
1/28/2020 6:04am
Of insurance will pay or help pay CTI customs... my buddies insurance helped pay for some asterisks.. I wear asterisks and love them.. I agree with the above comment about them being like helmets.. go to dealer and try on what ever they got and see what ya like...
50dippin
1/28/2020 8:12am Edited Date/Time 1/28/2020 8:14am
50dippin wrote:
Anyone have a solution to braces tearing up pants. Just got some new Oneil gear and the pants had a hole after 3 laps, literally lasted...
MXBen711 wrote:
Hi, what size PODs are you wearing? I had this before when the sizing was a little off, but only in the previous version as the...
Hi, what size PODs are you wearing?

I had this before when the sizing was a little off, but only in the previous version as the hinge sticks out more.

Do you have a picture of where they wore through?
I have a wide knee so I wear and XL. The pants get worn through at the knee by the hinge. What is weird is that it only happens on the right side, not the left.
My old TLD braces would wear through below the hinge on the metal of the brace since there was no padding there, but wouldn't happen for at least 5 to 10 rides.
1/28/2020 8:13am
I recommend the Carbon Cells from Asterisk. After trying on multiple different brands (non-custom), Asterisks have always been the most comfortable and gives you that custom brace feel without the expensive price tag. Even though any knee brace can be pricey, it is definitely cheaper than a knee surgery and going through rehab (been there and done that). After having multiple generations of Asterisks, I feel that their newest brace is by far the best one out there in my opinion. They even helped me out with what direction to go through with using my HSA account. I even told a buddy of mine about them and they helped him out too with a discount for being a veteran in the military.
YZed250
1/28/2020 8:36am
50dippin wrote:
You can buy a leather scrap and glue it back over the hole.
CTI ossur sells hinge covers which are great. You might be able to copy their design.
Also, if you wear small or medium braces, buy an elastic knee support sleeve in size XL or XXL and slip it over the top of each brace.
langhammx
Fantasy
581st
1/31/2020 1:43pm
I recommend the Carbon Cells from Asterisk. After trying on multiple different brands (non-custom), Asterisks have always been the most comfortable and gives you that custom...
I recommend the Carbon Cells from Asterisk. After trying on multiple different brands (non-custom), Asterisks have always been the most comfortable and gives you that custom brace feel without the expensive price tag. Even though any knee brace can be pricey, it is definitely cheaper than a knee surgery and going through rehab (been there and done that). After having multiple generations of Asterisks, I feel that their newest brace is by far the best one out there in my opinion. They even helped me out with what direction to go through with using my HSA account. I even told a buddy of mine about them and they helped him out too with a discount for being a veteran in the military.
Bingo
YZed250
2/5/2020 1:08pm Edited Date/Time 2/5/2020 1:09pm
I recommend the Carbon Cells from Asterisk. After trying on multiple different brands (non-custom), Asterisks have always been the most comfortable and gives you that custom...
Just to be crystal clear, damage to the meniscus is one of the most common knee injuries in mx, and it is basically irreversible.

People talk about ACL, PCL and MCL (ligament) damage and I have heard that they are expensive, and debilitating but you can recover from these types of injuries with a lot of money, time off bike, surgery and rehab.

Meniscus damage, on the other hand, is irreversible/permanent. Arthritis and pain, inability to run, ski, play golf are very real possibilities related to meniscus damage and these are irreversible. I am going through this/regretting this so much the last year or so.

Bottom line is spend the money on the braces that fit well, keep them in good condition and you will be thanking us later.
Mr. Afterbar
2/5/2020 2:39pm
Can’t speak for the others, but I’ve been racing with EVS for almost a couple decades now and the Web Pro are great. Highly recommend.
2/5/2020 5:16pm
As somebody who only has experience with PODs, I am very, very happy with them. I tore my ACL and have had 3 subsequent knee surgeries, but they give me a peace of mind.

I can't speak to the CTI braces by Ossur, but I have literally never heard a bad thing about them.
2/5/2020 6:07pm
How much better is the latest carb cell, than the original asterisk braces. I think the original fit really good, I wear that under sleeve to prevent raw leg syndrome. I broke 1 brace, asterisk repaired the brace. Great co. I got just a little weird fracture in my femur.
Electro21
Fantasy
79th
2/5/2020 6:19pm Edited Date/Time 3/11/2020 4:59pm
Hoks wrote:
bvm111 wrote:
I just got fitted for a custom Osur CTI through Tri-Care. I was originally trying to get a Bregg since I figured they wouldn’t do CTI. My PCM was easy. She told to print off the ones I wanted and bring them in. She put a referral in and 4 days later I had an appointment to get fitted at an off-post place. I had knee surgery before joining the Army too. I used the new ACFT as my excuse. I have a permanent walking profile now.
Electro21
Fantasy
79th
2/5/2020 6:20pm
Hoks wrote:
bvm111 wrote:
Hoks wrote:
I am active duty, but I’m working with a surgeon out in town who is more than happy to write me a prescription. I’m just unsure...

Use the ACFT as your excuse. Worked for me.

Post a reply to: Knee Brace Suggestions

The Latest