Knee Brace Opinions

ehr400
Edited Date/Time 6/18/2014 8:19pm
Trying not to turn this into a pissing match but I am in the market for knee braces, never have wore them for 20+ years of racing/ riding but I damaged my MCL 2 weeks ago and was wondering some pros and cons of different brands. I have BCBS's for insurance and looking into what they will cover.

Are CTI's better then a Asterik or POD? I like how Asteriks have a Patella protector also, which for me is huge because I have broke my knee cap before and it aint no fun. At the same time I like how CTI's will be fitted for you. Anyways I was wondering what some Vitards use and there pros and cons. God help me. Lol.
|
Madmax31
Fantasy
83rd
6/17/2014 7:27am
I've used about every knee brace out there. I've been riding since the early 80's, and have had bad knees since the mid-to late 80's. I was told by the time I was 40 I would need knee replacements and wouldn't be able to walk. I'm 48 and haven't had a knee operation yet! I think it's the knee braces and bicycling. Anyway back to your question. For me the best brace I've used is the POD's. I love the lite weight yet very protective design. Used the Asterisk's for years, but found they were a bit bulky.

I'm really interested in the new Leatt's that are coming out in August. The one side design may save me decals. It sucks to put on a new $140 set of graphics and 2 rides later they are destroyed because of your braces.

If I was buying right now, I'd buy the Pod's hands down.
ehr400
6/17/2014 7:33am
I liked how they looked not as bulky. The new Cyto Cells look alot more svelt then the other Asteriks. I have bigger legs so a bulky knee brace would not work good for me.

I need to check out that Leatt knee brace and see what it looks like.
Preston412
6/17/2014 7:47am
CTI, Asterisk and POD will be the choice to go with. The EVS RS9 maybe suitable but I had trouble with the fit.
As for Leatt, first run, I would not recommend. I stay away from ANY thing that is in its first year.

I have the Asterisk and like them.

The Shop

Panic_Rev
6/17/2014 7:51am
I have been using the Ultra Cell this year. So far the strap system is awesome, but they do feel a little bulky.
ehr400
6/17/2014 7:52am
Yeah I was defintley going to stay with a the main 3.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
6/17/2014 7:57am
I have used a handful of knee braces, even the CTI OtS(off the shelf), but the custom CTIs blow away the others in my opinion. They fit prefect and almost don't feel like your wearing anything. Very light and the new knee cap is awesome.

There's a reason all the top guys like bubba, Wilson, bagget and AC wear them.
ehr400
6/17/2014 8:08am
What website do you go to and where would you get measured for the brace? I went to a CTI site but it was in the UK or something?
IceMan446
6/17/2014 8:31am
ehr400 wrote:
What website do you go to and where would you get measured for the brace? I went to a CTI site but it was in the...
What website do you go to and where would you get measured for the brace? I went to a CTI site but it was in the UK or something?
Look for the american CTI site. They have one.

I had mine covered by my insurance. I recently just got the new patella cup they came out with that covers a lot more of your knee when your leg is bent. That would have been my only complaint previous to them releasing it.

I have used a couple different braces and by far the CTIs are the best IMO.
6/17/2014 9:30am
I just tried 4 different high level and pricey knee braces. Sent them all back as I just could not walk well in some and others would slip. However I tried the EVS SX 01 brace and love them! Great support and cost less. Sure they might not last as long but the feel great.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
6/17/2014 9:30am
http://www.ossur.com/injury-solutions/products/knee/custom-ligament-braces/cti-custom

I believe you need to meet with a CTI rep to have them measure your knee. They use digital cameras and a lot of markings along your leg to get it to fit just right. If you call the customer service I get they can get you dialed in with the who, what, where, how...

Good luck!
ehr400
6/17/2014 9:32am
[url=http://www.ossur.com/injury-solutions/products/knee/custom-ligament-braces/cti-custom]http://www.ossur.com/injury-solutions/products/knee/custom-ligament-braces/cti-custom[/url] I believe you need to meet with a CTI rep to have them measure your knee. They use digital cameras and a lot of markings...
http://www.ossur.com/injury-solutions/products/knee/custom-ligament-braces/cti-custom

I believe you need to meet with a CTI rep to have them measure your knee. They use digital cameras and a lot of markings along your leg to get it to fit just right. If you call the customer service I get they can get you dialed in with the who, what, where, how...

Good luck!
Thanks man!
FLmxer
Fantasy
905th
6/17/2014 9:39am
Cti paid for by insurance for 15+ years. Need a new pair now but they have been awesome. Both parents have really bad knees. I can still walk right off a house and no issues.
IceMan446
6/17/2014 9:43am
[url=http://www.ossur.com/injury-solutions/products/knee/custom-ligament-braces/cti-custom]http://www.ossur.com/injury-solutions/products/knee/custom-ligament-braces/cti-custom[/url] I believe you need to meet with a CTI rep to have them measure your knee. They use digital cameras and a lot of markings...

Good luck!
ehr400 wrote:
Thanks man!
I went in to my orthotic doctors office and they did it there. Took a bunch of measurements and wrapped my legs in the stuff they make casts out of and sent those off to get the molds made for the braces.

They fit like nothing else.
ehr400
6/17/2014 9:47am
Cool man I got some places here in Michigan that do it and one guy is a moto guy along with family.
cmf295
6/18/2014 6:12pm
Anyone have the Asterisk Cyto Cell knee braces? I'd like to purchase a new pair of knee braces and I'm not sure if I should go with the Cycto cell or the POD K300?
takitimu
6/18/2014 8:02pm
cmf295 wrote:
Anyone have the Asterisk Cyto Cell knee braces? I'd like to purchase a new pair of knee braces and I'm not sure if I should go...
Anyone have the Asterisk Cyto Cell knee braces? I'd like to purchase a new pair of knee braces and I'm not sure if I should go with the Cycto cell or the POD K300?
Yep, about 6 months old now, I like them. Though if I was buying now I'd probably go custom asterix.

A few things, I got the floating knee pieces for protection & the straps fray. I make sure I fold the straps onto themselves after wearing them & I start strapping up in the middle.

They've taken some decent hits, I don't think you can go real wrong them or k300.
Mickolobe7
6/18/2014 8:19pm
Pod K700 are awesome. I have a set of large used 2-3 times for $500 I have the boxes bags and everything that comes with them new. I need an XL

email me if interested mickolobe@hotmail.com

Post a reply to: Knee Brace Opinions

The Latest