Kinda neat Andy Griffith story (if you're old enough to remember him)

ddog558
Edited Date/Time 8/25/2020 3:20pm
From the MeTV site...

Andy Griffith Dirt Bikes
|
moto0852
8/21/2020 9:57am
Thanks for posting this. I loved the Andy Griffith show.
Redrcr34
8/21/2020 10:47am
Had no idea, love Andy Griffith show, we watch that show a least once a week.
8/21/2020 11:00am
I'm 36yrs old, so I didn't quite grow up on this show.... however, the show was filmed here in North Carolina in a town called Mount Airy, up by the Virginia border. I have a customer in Mount Airy, and every time I go up there I think to myself "there's gotta be some decent trails to ride somewhere around here"...
Gworm
8/21/2020 11:10am
If I remember correctly Andy was in a TV movie where they were riding in Baja. He was riding a Husky I think. And I think they were criminals or something. It’s been a year or two, so my memory Of it isn’t great.

The Shop

Gworm
8/21/2020 11:20am
Ok, I binged it. It was called Pray for the Wildcats and it came out in 1974.
They weren’t criminals, but I think Andy was kind of a bad guy. It looks like William Shatner and the Dad off the Brady Bunch, and Angie Dickinson were in it, too. Along with a few others.
neverwas
Fantasy
784th
8/21/2020 11:57am
I remember that flick,as a kid,of course anything with a dirt bike in it I had to watch.
Crossup
8/21/2020 12:57pm
I had a little bit of everything in it apparently. Brady Bunch's is Robert Reed, William Shatner, Marjoe Gortner (from another Moto movie called Sidewinder One) and Angie Dickinson.

Andy getting frisky in a cerveza el bar.

avidchimp
Fantasy
1182nd
8/21/2020 2:33pm Edited Date/Time 8/21/2020 2:34pm
I'm 36yrs old, so I didn't quite grow up on this show.... however, the show was filmed here in North Carolina in a town called Mount...
I'm 36yrs old, so I didn't quite grow up on this show.... however, the show was filmed here in North Carolina in a town called Mount Airy, up by the Virginia border. I have a customer in Mount Airy, and every time I go up there I think to myself "there's gotta be some decent trails to ride somewhere around here"...
It was based on the Mt. Airy area where Andy was raised but they called it Mayberry. Interiors were shot at Desilu (Paramount) and exteriors were shot in Culver City (city exteriors) and up in Franklin Canyon (mountain/lake exteriors). I took the attached picture of the lake about 4 months ago.

Oh, and Andy could be a really mean sumbitch. Got to spend quite a bit of time around him as a kid when he was doing "Matlock" and I'll just say he may have left the south, but it certainly didn't leave him. Don Knotts on the other hand was one of the top three most awesome humans I have ever met.

DoctorJD
8/21/2020 4:54pm
avidchimp wrote:
It was based on the Mt. Airy area where Andy was raised but they called it Mayberry. Interiors were shot at Desilu (Paramount) and exteriors were...
It was based on the Mt. Airy area where Andy was raised but they called it Mayberry. Interiors were shot at Desilu (Paramount) and exteriors were shot in Culver City (city exteriors) and up in Franklin Canyon (mountain/lake exteriors). I took the attached picture of the lake about 4 months ago.

Oh, and Andy could be a really mean sumbitch. Got to spend quite a bit of time around him as a kid when he was doing "Matlock" and I'll just say he may have left the south, but it certainly didn't leave him. Don Knotts on the other hand was one of the top three most awesome humans I have ever met.

My brother works in the movie industry and he's worked with some older guys who used to work with Andy Griffith and they echoed what you said.
JPT
8/21/2020 4:57pm
JOHN CHOATE
8/21/2020 7:13pm
Gworm wrote:
Ok, I binged it. It was called Pray for the Wildcats and it came out in 1974. They weren’t criminals, but I think Andy was kind...
They weren’t criminals, but I think Andy was kind of a bad guy. It looks like William Shatner and the Dad off the Brady Bunch, and Angie Dickinson were in it, too. Along with a few others.
Just when I thought I have watched every off-road motorcycle movie/tv show known to man this thread pops up. Im watching it on YouTube now.
Thanks for posting. RIDE ON!!!
8/23/2020 8:23am
Don't have to be old to know Andy. My 16-yr old has watched the whole TAGS series 4-5 times now. It's new to me, too, 'cause I didn't watch TV at all when I was a kid... except for Saturday Night Live to see the musical guest.

This, for me as a guitar player, is a very significant picture. Anyone know why?

Badoo
8/23/2020 12:33pm
Don't have to be old to know Andy. My 16-yr old has watched the whole TAGS series 4-5 times now. It's new to me, too, 'cause...
Don't have to be old to know Andy. My 16-yr old has watched the whole TAGS series 4-5 times now. It's new to me, too, 'cause I didn't watch TV at all when I was a kid... except for Saturday Night Live to see the musical guest.

This, for me as a guitar player, is a very significant picture. Anyone know why?

SRV?
orange_44
8/23/2020 12:36pm
avidchimp wrote:
It was based on the Mt. Airy area where Andy was raised but they called it Mayberry. Interiors were shot at Desilu (Paramount) and exteriors were...

That’s a lake? Looks more like a pond where I’m from
jeffro503
8/23/2020 2:22pm
I'm 36yrs old, so I didn't quite grow up on this show.... however, the show was filmed here in North Carolina in a town called Mount...
avidchimp wrote:

That is awesome man. I had no idea about the movie or that Andy himself had ever even been on a dirt bike. And Don Knotts was one of the funniest actors ever when I was a kid.

Side note : I looked at that pic you posted and my very first thought was...." I wonder if there are any bass in there? " Haha. I always think that on remote lakes.
8/23/2020 4:24pm
Don't have to be old to know Andy. My 16-yr old has watched the whole TAGS series 4-5 times now. It's new to me, too, 'cause...

Badoo wrote:
SRV?
No.... Clarence White. Clarence blew bluegrass flatpicking guitar thru the roof and then went on to play with the Byrds where he invented the Parsons/White Stringbender. Anytime you hear a pedal-steel-sounding country guitar (.e.g. Brad Paisley) you can thank (or blame) Clarence. In the space of 7 years he revolutionized two completely different styles of guitar. And then was killed by a drunk driver in Palmdale CA. Someone recently asked for my list of Top 5 Guitarists of All Time and Clarence, for me, was #2 on that list.

The guitar he's playing here was purchased 2 years later by Tony Rice who is the GOAT of bluegrass flatpicking. That guitar is pretty damn famous all by itself being that it was owned by two legends and has some characteristic strange modifications.

One time I was jamming with Roland White- Clarence's brother, and to Andy's left with the mandolin. Just me and him. I suddenly realized that I was playing with CLARENCE'S BROTHER!!!! and it just about wiped me out, but Roland's the most humble guy in the world and I got over that.
jndmx
8/24/2020 6:27am
No.... Clarence White. Clarence blew bluegrass flatpicking guitar thru the roof and then went on to play with the Byrds where he invented the Parsons/White Stringbender...
No.... Clarence White. Clarence blew bluegrass flatpicking guitar thru the roof and then went on to play with the Byrds where he invented the Parsons/White Stringbender. Anytime you hear a pedal-steel-sounding country guitar (.e.g. Brad Paisley) you can thank (or blame) Clarence. In the space of 7 years he revolutionized two completely different styles of guitar. And then was killed by a drunk driver in Palmdale CA. Someone recently asked for my list of Top 5 Guitarists of All Time and Clarence, for me, was #2 on that list.

The guitar he's playing here was purchased 2 years later by Tony Rice who is the GOAT of bluegrass flatpicking. That guitar is pretty damn famous all by itself being that it was owned by two legends and has some characteristic strange modifications.

One time I was jamming with Roland White- Clarence's brother, and to Andy's left with the mandolin. Just me and him. I suddenly realized that I was playing with CLARENCE'S BROTHER!!!! and it just about wiped me out, but Roland's the most humble guy in the world and I got over that.
That Parsons/White Stringbender is an amazing guitar.

Here is Marty Stuart with the original Stringbender talking about the history and how it was made.

https://youtu.be/r8H08Xs_w8A
bvm111
8/24/2020 9:37am
JAFO92 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/08/21/444946/s1200_pray_for_the_wildcats_2.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/08/21/444947/s1200_34884991_so.jpg[/img]

captain kirk, mike bradey, and andy griffith all together in a movie... that’s so awesome, i’m going to watch that later today!
HackMan162
8/24/2020 10:57am
I watched it Saturday morning. Pretty good. Never thought Andy Griffith would be like that!
8/24/2020 5:48pm
jndmx wrote:
That Parsons/White Stringbender is an amazing guitar.

Here is Marty Stuart with the original Stringbender talking about the history and how it was made.

https://youtu.be/r8H08Xs_w8A
Marty's a stud. He's a walking-talking encyclopedia of music history.

Me... I've got a P/W B-Bender with a picture of Clarence stuck on the back:

jndmx
8/25/2020 9:30am Edited Date/Time 8/25/2020 9:30am
Marty's a stud. He's a walking-talking encyclopedia of music history. Me... I've got a P/W B-Bender with a picture of Clarence stuck on the back: [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/08/24/445584/s1200_CW_sticker.jpg[/img]...
Marty's a stud. He's a walking-talking encyclopedia of music history.

Me... I've got a P/W B-Bender with a picture of Clarence stuck on the back:

That is bad ass....How was it to get used to playing?

Yeah Marty is an amazing resource of history in music.

I recently got into building and playing cigar box guitars, mostly 3 string fretless for playing slide.
Just something about that bending/sliding tone.
rallendude
8/25/2020 11:45am

Badoo wrote:
SRV?
No.... Clarence White. Clarence blew bluegrass flatpicking guitar thru the roof and then went on to play with the Byrds where he invented the Parsons/White Stringbender...

Interesting, but aren't the two darker headed kids there Stevie Ray Vaughn and his older brother Jimmie Vaughn?
outerlimits
8/25/2020 12:31pm
Gworm wrote:
Ok, I binged it. It was called Pray for the Wildcats and it came out in 1974. They weren’t criminals, but I think Andy was kind...
It's an old movie, but worth seeing. Because I've done a lot of riding in Baja, I found it kind of funny how most of the guys are on 2-strokes and they head south from the border with virtually nothing with them. I think they had sleeping bags and water, but while riding it looks like they really don't have much of anything, certainly no tools or supplies of any kind. Andy Griffith is supposed to be an owner of some large development company and the other three all work for an ad agency trying to keep his business. The whole movie is about him talking them into riding down in baja with them so they can experience baja first hand so they can come up with an acceptable ad campaign for his development project down there. He is definitely not a very nice dude in that movie...definitely a "my way or the highway" kind of guy.
neverwas
Fantasy
784th
8/25/2020 2:16pm
Watched the movie yesterday with my wife,freaked her out to see Andy being such a lecherous creep and Mike Brady drinking tequila and smoking. Hilariously bad movie.
8/25/2020 3:20pm
rallendude wrote:
Interesting, but aren't the two darker headed kids there Stevie Ray Vaughn and his older brother Jimmie Vaughn?
Nope. Roland and Clarence White. That band is the Kentucky Colonels. "The Country Boys" on TAGS. Stevie and Jimmie are normal height people and Roland and Clarence are pretty short. I'm 5' 6" and I almost tower over Roland.

You can see TAGS footage here, about 0:35 in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkQcA3_33xE

@JndMX: The Bender is a little like riding a 125. You gotta plan ahead. You have sit on THIS note in preparation for bending it to THAT note. After awhile, of course, you kind of get your bag of licks down and then it's more instinctive.

Post a reply to: Kinda neat Andy Griffith story (if you're old enough to remember him)

The Latest