Kinda Moto, kinda Non-Moto-CB350

Jmicmoto13
4/11/2020 5:49pm Edited Date/Time 4/14/2020 3:37am
So, while in this locked down status, my tinkering brain has been itching to work on something. On the opposition to that thought pattern, my logical brain has been making me run lean and socking away every penny into savings. I found a 1970 Honda CB350 for $400 on Facebook Marketplace and decided to pick it up. Doesn't run but turns over and has all the components, I just need to assemble. Has some surface rust but nothing extreme. Pretty pumped on the score and looking forward to make this a cafe racer over time.

Thought it was pretty awesome it still had the original dealer decal on the chain guard after 50 years!!!

|
JustMX
4/11/2020 8:06pm
Nice find.

Can't believe the seat and tank are in such great shape.

Honda dealer is still in business, and I think owned by the same family, the beams.

The sponsored some races I did at the fairgrounds in shelby for 10 years.

The grandson raced motocross for several years.
Jmicmoto13
4/11/2020 8:09pm
JustMX wrote:
Nice find. Can't believe the seat and tank are in such great shape. Honda dealer is still in business, and I think owned by the same...
Nice find.

Can't believe the seat and tank are in such great shape.

Honda dealer is still in business, and I think owned by the same family, the beams.

The sponsored some races I did at the fairgrounds in shelby for 10 years.

The grandson raced motocross for several years.
That is pretty amazing. The chain guide might be a cool display trinket.

The Shop

motogrady
4/12/2020 9:10am
I dunno. That’s not cafe material in my book.
That’s too intact. That’s a survivor. All oem paint. Even the seat cover looks good. The sticker showing where it came from. All rare things today.

Do what you please, but IMO that is worth more restored than it is chopped.

Find another one, left out behind a garage, under a tarp that is in rough shape that needs rescue. Something where the seat and tank, whatever, are screwed and need replacing.
That in my book is cafe material.

What u have there, is history my friend.
Jmicmoto13
4/12/2020 9:14am
motogrady wrote:
I dunno. That’s not cafe material in my book. That’s too intact. That’s a survivor. All oem paint. Even the seat cover looks good. The sticker...
That’s too intact. That’s a survivor. All oem paint. Even the seat cover looks good. The sticker showing where it came from. All rare things today.

Find another one, left out behind a garage, under a tarp that is in rough shape that needs rescue. Something where the seat and tank, whatever, are screwed and need replacing.

That's a fair take. I figure I will build it the way I see it in my head, but keep the original mint parts for a future build or for someone else to have some gems. I don't want to chop the frame or anything that extreme.
Kenny Lingus
4/12/2020 9:16am
I learned to ride on a street scrambler version at 12 in a hay field. Wish I didn't sell it.
Jmicmoto13
4/12/2020 9:23am
I'm a tire guy so I thought this was pretty cool. Never knew Sears had their own line of tires. Made in USA. DOT is from 74 lol

motogrady
4/12/2020 9:33am
motogrady wrote:
I dunno. That’s not cafe material in my book. That’s too intact. That’s a survivor. All oem paint. Even the seat cover looks good. The sticker...

Jmicmoto13 wrote:
That's a fair take. I figure I will build it the way I see it in my head, but keep the original mint parts for a...
That's a fair take. I figure I will build it the way I see it in my head, but keep the original mint parts for a future build or for someone else to have some gems. I don't want to chop the frame or anything that extreme.
Did the same thing 2 years ago with an 81 cb750.
It was a C model, the chopper version. Started to cafe it, since I’m not really into choppers, but just couldn’t take the hacksaw to it. Thought I’d just keep it intact and save the parts if I wanted to go back to stock. Stupid, I sold it.
If I would kept it I would now have all 3 models of that era.

I’m working a guy now that has 3 bikes just sitting in his driveway. Been there for years. One is a 650 Silverwing. The one with the moto guzzi style motor.
I want it because it’s a survivor.

But, last time I was by there, I noticed, those other 2,
both 450 twins, kinda rough, would be a great blank canvas for 2 cafe racers...........
Jmicmoto13
4/12/2020 9:39am
motogrady wrote:

Jmicmoto13 wrote:
That's a fair take. I figure I will build it the way I see it in my head, but keep the original mint parts for a...
motogrady wrote:
Did the same thing 2 years ago with an 81 cb750. It was a C model, the chopper version. Started to cafe it, since I’m not...
Did the same thing 2 years ago with an 81 cb750.
It was a C model, the chopper version. Started to cafe it, since I’m not really into choppers, but just couldn’t take the hacksaw to it. Thought I’d just keep it intact and save the parts if I wanted to go back to stock. Stupid, I sold it.
If I would kept it I would now have all 3 models of that era.

I’m working a guy now that has 3 bikes just sitting in his driveway. Been there for years. One is a 650 Silverwing. The one with the moto guzzi style motor.
I want it because it’s a survivor.

But, last time I was by there, I noticed, those other 2,
both 450 twins, kinda rough, would be a great blank canvas for 2 cafe racers...........
That sounds like an awesome opportunity. I am pumped on how much high quality aftermarket support there is for the CB. Tons of options on setups for every piece and component.
motogrady
4/12/2020 10:14am
Jmicmoto13 wrote:
I'm a tire guy so I thought this was pretty cool. Never knew Sears had their own line of tires. Made in USA. DOT is from...
I'm a tire guy so I thought this was pretty cool. Never knew Sears had their own line of tires. Made in USA. DOT is from 74 lol

Sears sold their own line of motorcycles.
I think they were Gileras.

Just like Montgomery Wards had their Riversides.
Which really, were Benillies.

Jmicmoto13
4/12/2020 10:17am
Jmicmoto13 wrote:
I'm a tire guy so I thought this was pretty cool. Never knew Sears had their own line of tires. Made in USA. DOT is from...

motogrady wrote:
Sears sold their own line of motorcycles. I think they were Gileras. Just like Montgomery Wards had their Riversides. Which really, were Benillies. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/04/12/419390/s1200_73FBA547_7352_4EDC_87AF_51EC8EC523DF.jpg[/img]

Amazing information. Hard to beat the classics. So much history and unique things about them.
Rupert X
4/12/2020 11:13am
I’ve been restoring/ molesting my ‘74 CL200 ( one year, one color, cool scrambler up-pipe) for a few years now. It’s only got 2,800 miles.....my rear tail-light had a cool dealer sticker on it, cleaning bike initially with simple green, I ruined it..... Anyway, parts help has been thru David Silver Spares, Babbitts and EBay. Gonna try the Coke & Aluminium Foil trick on the chrome surface rust.....
CMcBain
4/12/2020 11:22am
I bought a 1975 Yamaha 650 last winter for 300$ cylinders full of water. I kinda made what I think is cool without cutting anything. I haven’t got to ride it yet as this Covid stuff has closed inspection shop etc. Went up and down the driveway. I bought another later model one which I may hack up and not feel bad about.

4/12/2020 11:46am
Jmicmoto13 wrote:

That’s an interesting tire pattern, mainly from the perspective it looks 99% similar to Pirelli dirt track tire “mt-53”.
motogrady
4/12/2020 11:50am
Now there is what some call the perfect balance in a street bike. That Black & Gold XS. A dime a dozen years ago, dirt trackers loved the motor, and today are pretty hard to find. I’d love to have that one.
Motocrossjunky
Fantasy
1071st
4/12/2020 11:54am
Nice, I used to have a 1981 CB750. Absolutely loved that thing:

motogrady
4/12/2020 12:04pm
Nice, I used to have a 1981 CB750. Absolutely loved that thing: [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/04/12/419407/s1200_ED188C13_9BA7_4B66_A9B2_F5952C6BE3F4.jpg[/img]

Interesting. Dual disc up front, usually means it was a Supersport, or F model. The open space under the seat, very, very cafe. Hard to get that look on that era. 1979 toI 82 had the battery there. Which with electric start you had to have. Plus, and this is a biggie, that bike is running pods on stock CV carbs.
Which most swear you have to keep the stock air box to work. Which, on that bike is gone.
Ya, very cool cafe. Must have been a ton of fun on the twisted.
G-man
4/12/2020 12:12pm
motogrady wrote:

Jmicmoto13 wrote:
Nice score and I agree with Motogrady that baby is worth more left alone, all you have to do is watch a few episodes of American Pickers to realize this.
Motocrossjunky
Fantasy
1071st
4/12/2020 12:16pm
Nice, I used to have a 1981 CB750. Absolutely loved that thing: [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/04/12/419407/s1200_ED188C13_9BA7_4B66_A9B2_F5952C6BE3F4.jpg[/img]

motogrady wrote:
Interesting. Dual disc up front, usually means it was a Supersport, or F model. The open space under the seat, very, very cafe. Hard to get...
Interesting. Dual disc up front, usually means it was a Supersport, or F model. The open space under the seat, very, very cafe. Hard to get that look on that era. 1979 toI 82 had the battery there. Which with electric start you had to have. Plus, and this is a biggie, that bike is running pods on stock CV carbs.
Which most swear you have to keep the stock air box to work. Which, on that bike is gone.
Ya, very cool cafe. Must have been a ton of fun on the twisted.
Correct, was a F model. It ran like a dream with the open air filters.

This is how I bought it, ugly as sin:

G-man
4/12/2020 12:22pm
motogrady wrote:
Sears sold their own line of motorcycles. I think they were Gileras. Just like Montgomery Wards had their Riversides. Which really, were Benillies. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/04/12/419390/s1200_73FBA547_7352_4EDC_87AF_51EC8EC523DF.jpg[/img]

Wow man my first official motorcycle was a Gilera 175....

When everybody was rolling around on Hondas and Yamaha motorcycles this is what I ended up with from my uncle as he was a master Carpenter and one of us customers gave him two.

The shifter was on the opposite side as well as the brake lever.
The shifting pattern was also opposite of the Japanese motorcycles from that era my first day riding it I was in 4th gear and I thought I was in first I told my buddy this is the fastest bike I've ever ridden I never got it out of first gear hahaha! Woohoo

It looked something like this I made a front number plate out of plywood and painted it Dayglo Orange! Laughing

4/12/2020 4:45pm

I think a holed front disc and big twin piston caliper upgrade would set it off better. May require a front end upgrade like CBR900RR conventionals. Not sure on wheels there that would work but with disc's that diameter, you may be able to go single like a motard setup.
G-man
4/12/2020 6:01pm
Beautiful machine I always loved the red and white Honda color scheme reminds me of my 87 HURRICANE may she rest in peace....Sad
Loved that bike she was a keeper....

4/12/2020 6:34pm
All those 70,s cb,cL etc are cool. A farmer I worked for had 75 cb360t. I rode it all over the big rolling hills in the hay fields. At 14 I rode it home to Green Bay, to the beach with girlfriend , all over town, and the country. My dog Charlie put his paws around my neck with his head next to mine, as we rode around for few blocks. Very basic cool Lookin bike.Smile
GoMoto
4/12/2020 6:36pm
That’s a good price. The CB350 has been a very popular model in the vintage road racing and cafe racer scenes for some time.
15-20 years ago 350’s were cheap and plentiful but are getting rare and valuable now. They have a torquey, durable motor and a 5 speed gearbox featuring the always exciting early 70s Honda “random-neutral” feature.

I had a job at a m/c junkyard back in college and the boss gave us the pick of the lot to piece together personal rides. He must’ve had 20 350s sitting there, plus related models (CL’s, SL’s, etc.) and weird vintage aftermarket parts. Managed to build a nice bike out of the pieces.

HondaMan66
4/13/2020 5:57am
I’ve had this ‘73 CL350 for about 15 years. I let it sit up too long and the carbs got gummed up. Instead if rebuilding them I replaced them with new Mikuni’s from Speedmoto. Runs better than ever now.

Jmicmoto13
4/13/2020 6:15am
HondaMan66 wrote:
I’ve had this ‘73 CL350 for about 15 years. I let it sit up too long and the carbs got gummed up. Instead if rebuilding them...
I’ve had this ‘73 CL350 for about 15 years. I let it sit up too long and the carbs got gummed up. Instead if rebuilding them I replaced them with new Mikuni’s from Speedmoto. Runs better than ever now.

Wow that sucker is clean. Awesome looking bike.
HondaMan66
4/13/2020 7:24am
You can see the different carbs between the top and bottom pics. The carb kit with cable and pod filters was about $400. I did not use the pod filters. I think If I had to do it again, I would buy the knock off mikuni 32 mm carbs. They are really inexpensive. Start with 135 mains, middle position on the needle, and 30 pilot jets. Then get just the cable from speedmoto. I was able to clean my gas tank with apple cider vinegar. I let it soak for a month, rinsed it with a garden hose, and then poured a gallon of wd40 in there and let it sit for a couple weeks. Looks like new inside and has not rusted.

Post a reply to: Kinda Moto, kinda Non-Moto-CB350

The Latest