Kinda Cool Surgery Story...Broken Clavicle

motoXracer971
Edited Date/Time 3/21/2018 4:31pm
So I wiped out pretty hard last week, on my birthday no less, and wrecked my collarbone. For me, one of the worst parts about hospital trips is the barrage of questions about how it happened, and suggestions to “take up fishing, or something” from every doctor you talk to.

My anesthesiologist walks in and, of course asks “how’d you do this?”... I said, “dirt bike”...fully expecting to get a list of other hobbies I should take up from yet another doctor, he blindsides me with, “dirt bike, huh? Do you follow motocross?”

Long story made a little shorter, the doc is Blake Baggett’s uncle. He eased my mind (and my gf’s) a little with BB’s injury list (apparently he’s had 8 surgeries on his collarbones.) So instead of counting backwards from 10, we talked for 5-8 seconds about Baggett’s gnarly pass on Tomac around the outside last year...Nice guy too.

Hate being hurt but I won’t forget this one!

|
WhiteTaco
3/19/2018 4:03pm
Cool story bro. For real. For some reason if you tell fhem you did it on a mountain bike, you don’t get the lectures.
agn5009
3/19/2018 4:45pm
That's awesome. Good luck with recovery!
Stuntman949
3/19/2018 4:49pm
Cool story man. Makes the pain a little better.

I was always told to never admit it was on a dirt bike for fear of not getting covered. Maybe some insurance gurus could shine light on this myth
Motoxdoc
3/19/2018 4:53pm
Paging Dr. Baggett......That's a way cool story!

The Shop

mx216
3/19/2018 9:57pm
Cool story man. Makes the pain a little better. I was always told to never admit it was on a dirt bike for fear of not...

I was always told to never admit it was on a dirt bike for fear of not getting covered. Maybe some insurance gurus could shine light on this myth
My dad always said to just say we we're riding. I think the competition side may have had something to do with the insurance and not being covered.
Dirtydeeds
Fantasy
2888th
3/20/2018 8:26pm Edited Date/Time 3/20/2018 8:27pm
Not to hi-jack your thread op, But something similar happened to me. Summer of 2016 was havin my knee cleaned up (shattered tib plateau). Woke up in the recovery room where the nurse told me my “neighbor” was also there from riding dirt bikes. Turns out it was Cole Seely getting his pinky fixed up. We talked for a minute on the way out, both pretty buzzed but cool nonetheless.

Edit: Heal up!
langhammx
Fantasy
455th
3/20/2018 8:42pm
Cool story man. Makes the pain a little better. I was always told to never admit it was on a dirt bike for fear of not...

mx216 wrote:
My dad always said to just say we we're riding. I think the competition side may have had something to do with the insurance and not...
My dad always said to just say we we're riding. I think the competition side may have had something to do with the insurance and not being covered.
Not sure if the different insurance companies are different, but mine covers amateur racing, but not professional. I had to pull an additional policy when my kid turned pro.

But I use the MTB accident every time myself to avoid all the lectures !
731chopper
Fantasy
442nd
3/20/2018 8:49pm
langhammx wrote:
Not sure if the different insurance companies are different, but mine covers amateur racing, but not professional. I had to pull an additional policy when my...
Not sure if the different insurance companies are different, but mine covers amateur racing, but not professional. I had to pull an additional policy when my kid turned pro.

But I use the MTB accident every time myself to avoid all the lectures !
Definitely different from policy to policy. Most policies I’ve read in Texas exclude any participation in extreme sports.
luckyguy19
3/20/2018 9:51pm Edited Date/Time 3/20/2018 9:51pm
Your clavicle surgery story is much better than mine. 7 surgeries and 2 years later and my clavicle is just a broken as the day I broke it. Infections suck bad. Doc gives me less than 50% chance of ever getting it to heal.
motoXracer971
3/21/2018 11:18am
luckyguy19 wrote:
Your clavicle surgery story is much better than mine. 7 surgeries and 2 years later and my clavicle is just a broken as the day I...
Your clavicle surgery story is much better than mine. 7 surgeries and 2 years later and my clavicle is just a broken as the day I broke it. Infections suck bad. Doc gives me less than 50% chance of ever getting it to heal.
Man, that’s a bummer. I’m sorry to hear that...The infection talk is pretty scary and with any luck I’ll steer clear of it on this one. Mine wasn’t compounded so that helps, I know.

Hopefully, they will get you straightened out, bro. Did you have plates/pins/screws placed?
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
3/21/2018 11:52am
I always say I fell off a ladder. You know, for statistical reasons.
mgifracing
Fantasy
346th
3/21/2018 12:05pm
I have never crashed a motorcycle, Ever. I have had some crazy mountain bike crashes though.
dl117
Fantasy
2577th
3/21/2018 12:13pm
mgifracing wrote:
I have never crashed a motorcycle, Ever. I have had some crazy mountain bike crashes though.
I had a "running after dog" accident when I popped my achiles, not oj'ing a to flat jump....lol
luckyguy19
3/21/2018 12:28pm
luckyguy19 wrote:
Your clavicle surgery story is much better than mine. 7 surgeries and 2 years later and my clavicle is just a broken as the day I...
Man, that’s a bummer. I’m sorry to hear that...The infection talk is pretty scary and with any luck I’ll steer clear of it on this one...
Man, that’s a bummer. I’m sorry to hear that...The infection talk is pretty scary and with any luck I’ll steer clear of it on this one. Mine wasn’t compounded so that helps, I know.

Hopefully, they will get you straightened out, bro. Did you have plates/pins/screws placed?
I've had a plate and screws twice, along with a bone graft on the second plate. We've never been able to get rid of the infection from the very first surgery. This pic was about 3 months after getting the second plate in, we had to take it out because the bone was not healing, and the wound would not close over the plate.

Panic_Rev
3/21/2018 12:29pm
Motoxdoc wrote:
Paging Dr. Baggett......That's a way cool story!
This made me chuckle. In fact, I'm still chuckling.

motoXracer971
3/21/2018 3:45pm
luckyguy19 wrote:
I've had a plate and screws twice, along with a bone graft on the second plate. We've never been able to get rid of the infection...
I've had a plate and screws twice, along with a bone graft on the second plate. We've never been able to get rid of the infection from the very first surgery. This pic was about 3 months after getting the second plate in, we had to take it out because the bone was not healing, and the wound would not close over the plate.

Wow, man. That looks horendous. I’m really sorry that you’re having to deal with that. Was your fracture compounded?
luckyguy19
3/21/2018 4:31pm
luckyguy19 wrote:
I've had a plate and screws twice, along with a bone graft on the second plate. We've never been able to get rid of the infection...

Wow, man. That looks horendous. I’m really sorry that you’re having to deal with that. Was your fracture compounded?
No it was not. The Doc even said 5 surgeons would plate, 5 would let it heal. We deicided to plate because of how active I am. I wish I had let it heal, but hindsight. Life is not bad this way, I can do most everything I did before. I'm even back up to the same bench press weight I was before I broke it. I just can't sleep on that side at all, haha.

Post a reply to: Kinda Cool Surgery Story...Broken Clavicle

The Latest