Kinda Cool Surgery Story...Broken Clavicle

Related:
Create New Tag

3/19/2018 2:21 PM

So I wiped out pretty hard last week, on my birthday no less, and wrecked my collarbone. For me, one of the worst parts about hospital trips is the barrage of questions about how it happened, and suggestions to “take up fishing, or something” from every doctor you talk to.

My anesthesiologist walks in and, of course asks “how’d you do this?”... I said, “dirt bike”...fully expecting to get a list of other hobbies I should take up from yet another doctor, he blindsides me with, “dirt bike, huh? Do you follow motocross?”

Long story made a little shorter, the doc is Blake Baggett’s uncle. He eased my mind (and my gf’s) a little with BB’s injury list (apparently he’s had 8 surgeries on his collarbones.) So instead of counting backwards from 10, we talked for 5-8 seconds about Baggett’s gnarly pass on Tomac around the outside last year...Nice guy too.

Hate being hurt but I won’t forget this one!

Photo

|

3/19/2018 4:03 PM

Cool story bro. For real. For some reason if you tell fhem you did it on a mountain bike, you don’t get the lectures.

|

3/19/2018 4:45 PM

That's awesome. Good luck with recovery!

|

3/19/2018 4:49 PM

Cool story man. Makes the pain a little better.

I was always told to never admit it was on a dirt bike for fear of not getting covered. Maybe some insurance gurus could shine light on this myth

|

"A link is only as long as your longest strong chain"

3/19/2018 4:53 PM

Paging Dr. Baggett......That's a way cool story!

|

3/19/2018 9:57 PM

Stuntman949 wrote:

I was always told to never admit it was on a dirt bike for fear of not getting covered. Maybe some insurance gurus could shine light on this myth

My dad always said to just say we we're riding. I think the competition side may have had something to do with the insurance and not being covered.

|

3/20/2018 8:26 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/20/2018 8:27 PM

Not to hi-jack your thread op, But something similar happened to me. Summer of 2016 was havin my knee cleaned up (shattered tib plateau). Woke up in the recovery room where the nurse told me my “neighbor” was also there from riding dirt bikes. Turns out it was Cole Seely getting his pinky fixed up. We talked for a minute on the way out, both pretty buzzed but cool nonetheless.

Edit: Heal up!

|

3/20/2018 8:42 PM

Stuntman949 wrote:

mx216 wrote:

My dad always said to just say we we're riding. I think the competition side may have had something to do with the insurance and not being covered.

Not sure if the different insurance companies are different, but mine covers amateur racing, but not professional. I had to pull an additional policy when my kid turned pro.

But I use the MTB accident every time myself to avoid all the lectures !

|

3/20/2018 8:49 PM

langhammx wrote:

Not sure if the different insurance companies are different, but mine covers amateur racing, but not professional. I had to pull an additional policy when my kid turned pro.

But I use the MTB accident every time myself to avoid all the lectures !

Definitely different from policy to policy. Most policies I’ve read in Texas exclude any participation in extreme sports.

|

3/20/2018 9:51 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/20/2018 9:51 PM

Your clavicle surgery story is much better than mine. 7 surgeries and 2 years later and my clavicle is just a broken as the day I broke it. Infections suck bad. Doc gives me less than 50% chance of ever getting it to heal.

|

3/21/2018 11:18 AM

luckyguy19 wrote:

Your clavicle surgery story is much better than mine. 7 surgeries and 2 years later and my clavicle is just a broken as the day I broke it. Infections suck bad. Doc gives me less than 50% chance of ever getting it to heal.

Man, that’s a bummer. I’m sorry to hear that...The infection talk is pretty scary and with any luck I’ll steer clear of it on this one. Mine wasn’t compounded so that helps, I know.

Hopefully, they will get you straightened out, bro. Did you have plates/pins/screws placed?

|

3/21/2018 11:52 AM

I always say I fell off a ladder. You know, for statistical reasons.

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

3/21/2018 12:05 PM

I have never crashed a motorcycle, Ever. I have had some crazy mountain bike crashes though.

|

Twist the grip off of it! Slinging parts and service at Marine World.

3/21/2018 12:13 PM

mgifracing wrote:

I have never crashed a motorcycle, Ever. I have had some crazy mountain bike crashes though.

I had a "running after dog" accident when I popped my achiles, not oj'ing a to flat jump....lol

|

kcco

3/21/2018 12:28 PM

luckyguy19 wrote:

motoXracer971 wrote:

Man, that’s a bummer. I’m sorry to hear that...The infection talk is pretty scary and with any luck I’ll steer clear of it on this one. Mine wasn’t compounded so that helps, I know.

Hopefully, they will get you straightened out, bro. Did you have plates/pins/screws placed?

I've had a plate and screws twice, along with a bone graft on the second plate. We've never been able to get rid of the infection from the very first surgery. This pic was about 3 months after getting the second plate in, we had to take it out because the bone was not healing, and the wound would not close over the plate. Photo

|

3/21/2018 12:29 PM

Motoxdoc wrote:

Paging Dr. Baggett......That's a way cool story!

This made me chuckle. In fact, I'm still chuckling.

|

3/21/2018 12:35 PM

Photo
|

3/21/2018 3:45 PM

luckyguy19 wrote:

I've had a plate and screws twice, along with a bone graft on the second plate. We've never been able to get rid of the infection from the very first surgery. This pic was about 3 months after getting the second plate in, we had to take it out because the bone was not healing, and the wound would not close over the plate. Photo

Wow, man. That looks horendous. I’m really sorry that you’re having to deal with that. Was your fracture compounded?

|

3/21/2018 4:31 PM

motoXracer971 wrote:

luckyguy19 wrote:

motoXracer971 wrote:

Wow, man. That looks horendous. I’m really sorry that you’re having to deal with that. Was your fracture compounded?

No it was not. The Doc even said 5 surgeons would plate, 5 would let it heal. We deicided to plate because of how active I am. I wish I had let it heal, but hindsight. Life is not bad this way, I can do most everything I did before. I'm even back up to the same bench press weight I was before I broke it. I just can't sleep on that side at all, haha.

|