Kind Of Like Carlsbad Re-Opening. This is Huge.

Rupert X
4/4/2021 5:31am Edited Date/Time 5/3/2022 2:12pm
Honda Hills, Ohio.

|
tydog
4/4/2021 5:47am
Wow great news for a change, especially for those of you nearby.
Brent
4/4/2021 8:44am Edited Date/Time 4/4/2021 8:45am
...that is great news but I think re opening Carlsbad raceway might be a bigger deal, because they would have to bulldoze the office buildings that occupy Rattlesnake Gultch first...

I’m all for it.
kylemenz1
Fantasy
956th
4/4/2021 8:48am
Carlsbad Raceway is open.

kylemenz1
Fantasy
956th
4/4/2021 8:49am
Stoked to see MX tracks opening back up.

The Shop

PFitzG38
4/4/2021 10:50am
A little off topic but did anyone ever ride the Carlsbad replica track Marc Peters built at The Ranch when he was running it? Work Of ART! He went off maps his dad Stu still had. It was uncanny how similar it was. from banking off both the edges of the uphill, Letting her run on the downhill to floating The Drop to laying it over on The Horseshoe. It was amazing how close it was. I was feeling moto sensations I thought I’d never feel again. BTW. Awesome news about Honda Hills. Never rode there but heard lots of stories
Motoxdoc
4/4/2021 11:25am
Next up...Saddleback please!.....DeAnza? Indian Dunes is probably still just sittin there.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
760th
4/4/2021 11:26am
PFitzG38 wrote:
A little off topic but did anyone ever ride the Carlsbad replica track Marc Peters built at The Ranch when he was running it? Work Of...
A little off topic but did anyone ever ride the Carlsbad replica track Marc Peters built at The Ranch when he was running it? Work Of ART! He went off maps his dad Stu still had. It was uncanny how similar it was. from banking off both the edges of the uphill, Letting her run on the downhill to floating The Drop to laying it over on The Horseshoe. It was amazing how close it was. I was feeling moto sensations I thought I’d never feel again. BTW. Awesome news about Honda Hills. Never rode there but heard lots of stories
Yes I did. It was my only chance at riding Carlsbad. Stu and Marc went to the city and got all of the blue prints for the track. It was 100% built to spec. It took my pops back in time and allowed me to get a taste of what Carlsbad was like. I had a chance to race the track in the Support class at a vintage race and I led from start to finish and even beat the guy in the class above me. That track was awesome! I’m bummed they closed the facility.
Rupert X
4/4/2021 11:35am
Yeah, I can’t pretend to hide my excitement about this whole deal. Honda Hills had a TransAm back in the 70’s, not only was DeCoster racing here, Arnold Schwarzenegger and Lou Ferrigno (true!) were both spectators ! For many thousands of Ohio riders- and other racers that grew up at this landmark, it’s just wonderful news. You can barely see me here, to the right, about 1985, on my ‘82 YZ490.
BAMX
4/4/2021 11:42am
PFitzG38 wrote:
A little off topic but did anyone ever ride the Carlsbad replica track Marc Peters built at The Ranch when he was running it? Work Of...
I rode it a few times and it was an awesome replica. The only thing missing was the exact dirt and those square edges.
BAMX
4/4/2021 11:46am
kylemenz1 wrote:
Carlsbad Raceway is open. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2021/04/04/486361/s1200_5DC864AC_F170_4F3E_8B46_09F55CABC271.jpg[/img]
Carlsbad Raceway is open.

Every time I drive by that sign, I get a bit irritated. It is just a reminder that there was an awesome track there but now we get some crappy tilt ups.
Brent
4/4/2021 11:58am Edited Date/Time 4/4/2021 12:01pm
PFitzG38 wrote:
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Yes I did. It was my only chance at riding Carlsbad. Stu and Marc went to the city and got all of the blue prints for...
Yes I did. It was my only chance at riding Carlsbad. Stu and Marc went to the city and got all of the blue prints for the track. It was 100% built to spec. It took my pops back in time and allowed me to get a taste of what Carlsbad was like. I had a chance to race the track in the Support class at a vintage race and I led from start to finish and even beat the guy in the class above me. That track was awesome! I’m bummed they closed the facility.
I am glad you got a chance to ride the Carlsbad replica layout, got to ride it also and they did a fair job considering it was pretty flat as compared to the real track.

I had the privilege to race the real Carlsbad from April 1975 to the last day in July 2004, with Stu Peters pulling the starting gate lever on almost every race.

the replica was not very accurate soil or elevation wise as a lot of Carlsbad veterans will tell you.

There was nothing like the real Carlsbad Freeway, with the blue groove hard back and square edge bumps the size of VW Bugs. and the damn off camber turn at the bottom where you didn't know if you could stop and turn in time with 39 other trophy crazed maniacs right on your ass...
Harry_Gray
4/4/2021 12:00pm
Probably some of the best news I've heard all year, short of finding out I'm a new Grandpa. This is pretty f'ing cool.
Overdrive
4/4/2021 12:08pm
Rupert X wrote:
Honda Hills, Ohio. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2021/04/04/486299/s1200_B2932B2A_9B86_42B5_9CA8_7E23EACE64D4.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2021/04/04/486300/s1200_67C11A5C_2787_41F0_8F7D_7C0189E43DE2.jpg[/img]
Honda Hills, Ohio.

Ill come up from Florida to ride Honda Hills again. Grew up at Honda Hills and happy to hear its re opening! I haven't thrown a leg over a dirt bike in a few but I will be there!
Five2Five
4/4/2021 12:16pm
When I first saw this post shared by Treadway's I honestly thought it was an April fools joke. Moto & Offroad is very alive and well here so many tracks and race series, an I'm glad to be able to experience it.
kylemenz1
Fantasy
956th
4/4/2021 12:34pm
BAMX wrote:
Every time I drive by that sign, I get a bit irritated. It is just a reminder that there was an awesome track there but now...
Every time I drive by that sign, I get a bit irritated. It is just a reminder that there was an awesome track there but now we get some crappy tilt ups.
Only thing you can do now is drink a Carlsbad Raceway from Pizza Port and dream.

I never rode Carlsbad. I had the opportunity to at the end of its time but they were charging $50 to ride. At the time I was in my very early 20’s and $50 would have cut into my beer money to much.
SCC
4/4/2021 3:27pm
Great news! Now is the time for all tracks to step up the fun and safety factor to increase participation. Amateur racing needs to be fun not dangerous
4/4/2021 3:53pm
BAMX wrote:
Every time I drive by that sign, I get a bit irritated. It is just a reminder that there was an awesome track there but now...
kylemenz1 wrote:
Only thing you can do now is drink a Carlsbad Raceway from Pizza Port and dream. I never rode Carlsbad. I had the opportunity to at...
Only thing you can do now is drink a Carlsbad Raceway from Pizza Port and dream.

I never rode Carlsbad. I had the opportunity to at the end of its time but they were charging $50 to ride. At the time I was in my very early 20’s and $50 would have cut into my beer money to much.
I grew up in Colorado, but I did get to ride Carlsbad. Suzuki School of Motorcross. 1982.

Happy for the folks in Ohio!
Lightning78
4/4/2021 9:09pm
BAMX wrote:
kylemenz1 wrote:
Only thing you can do now is drink a Carlsbad Raceway from Pizza Port and dream. I never rode Carlsbad. I had the opportunity to at...

I had the same opportunity… . I believe it was one of their last days open circa 2004 and as a broke college student at CSULB I had to pass on the $50 fee to ride. I had no idea at the time that it would be closed shortly thereafter. I still kick myself about missing a chance to ride it before it closed for good
sdmx
Fantasy
1120th
4/4/2021 9:47pm
PFitzG38 wrote:
Amazing! I grew up racing Carlsbad and the replica was spot on!! Was a weird feeling riding that track. DeJa Vu...
fullfloater
Fantasy
14th
4/4/2021 11:26pm Edited Date/Time 4/4/2021 11:27pm
I raced Honda Hills and Saddleback and Indian Dunes. Never Carlsbad. Screw that business park!
sumdood
Fantasy
1333rd
4/5/2021 1:28am Edited Date/Time 4/5/2021 1:29am
sdmx wrote:
Amazing! I grew up racing Carlsbad and the replica was spot on!! Was a weird feeling riding that track. DeJa Vu...
The uphill start onto an access road then hop on the track was a little weird but yes it freaky how close it was. I don’t know if it was just the layout and the way the lines developed but it seems like even a lot of the big square edged holes appeared in the same place as the original
kawasa84
4/5/2021 3:47am
Happy to hear this news for Ohio riders. North Texas riders may be able to relate, but I used to ride and race a not so famous, but great track in the DFW metro called Mosier Valley MX. Jerry used to run the spring GNC there a week or so after Lake Whitney's Spring Classic. So I watched James Stewart for the first time there on 85's.
I did ride and race one famous track and that was Lake Whitney for 2 years before they closed it. The deepest ruts I ever had to navigate were racing Whitney during the Spring Classic. The place was always brutal.
Like Carlsbad it had natural elevation.
Hard to find tracks anywhere in TX with natural elevation.
Rupert X
4/5/2021 4:34am
HH is in northern Ohio correct ? What town is near ?
Central Ohio. About 30 miles east of Columbus.
Thor34103
4/5/2021 4:36am
It’s just east of Columbus a little off of I-70.
lumpy790
4/5/2021 5:01am
Rupert X wrote:
Yeah, I can’t pretend to hide my excitement about this whole deal. Honda Hills had a TransAm back in the 70’s, not only was DeCoster racing...
Yeah, I can’t pretend to hide my excitement about this whole deal. Honda Hills had a TransAm back in the 70’s, not only was DeCoster racing here, Arnold Schwarzenegger and Lou Ferrigno (true!) were both spectators ! For many thousands of Ohio riders- and other racers that grew up at this landmark, it’s just wonderful news. You can barely see me here, to the right, about 1985, on my ‘82 YZ490.
I was thinking Ohio too.
4/5/2021 6:31am
Rupert X wrote:
Oh ok, that would be in the Zanesville area, starts to get hilly there. I,m sure the layout is killer. About 12 yrs ago a Vietnam vet had a bunch of big cats including Bengal tigers. He set them all free and took his life. The cats where hunted down by every police force. I had to deliver there, everyone was on edge, thinking a cat was going to pounce on them. And watching for a cat attack on some people. Haha
Rupert X
4/5/2021 6:43am
Rupert X wrote:
Oh ok, that would be in the Zanesville area, starts to get hilly there. I,m sure the layout is killer. About 12 yrs ago a Vietnam...
Oh ok, that would be in the Zanesville area, starts to get hilly there. I,m sure the layout is killer. About 12 yrs ago a Vietnam vet had a bunch of big cats including Bengal tigers. He set them all free and took his life. The cats where hunted down by every police force. I had to deliver there, everyone was on edge, thinking a cat was going to pounce on them. And watching for a cat attack on some people. Haha
Odd you’d mention that place. The exotic animals, which were all let loose as the owner, Thompson, committed suicide, was the center of attention for awhile. The beautiful beasts; bears, tigers, lions, etc, were all shot dead by law enforcement as they roamed about. An awful situation.....Anyway, that property, in Zanesville, is now Grears Motorsports Park, very cool hillside track and other kids circuits.....

maicocd
4/5/2021 7:06am
Great news Rupert!! Thanks for sharing this!!

I loved racing at Honda Hills. Well worth the trip from Maryland for some vintage races on this historic track. It was a great layout and I always enjoyed the nice flow it had along those hillsides.

One of my fondest motocross memories was having the Klamfoth's inviting the entire race track of racers and their families and friends come to their front house across the hill for a humongous summer cook-out of burgers, corn on the cob and as much as you could possibly eat.
Food was provided for everyone and no money was expected (although everyone tossed in their contributions in kind).

Can you imagine inviting an entire motocross track of people to come eat at your house? LoL!!

Great memories and I'm looking forward to adding another spin around Honda Hills on my bucket list in the near future!

Post a reply to: Kind Of Like Carlsbad Re-Opening. This is Huge.

The Latest