Kids Protective gear?

Chopin
4/2/2019 9:17pm Edited Date/Time 4/3/2019 12:30pm
For the most part kids safety gear is pretty good but, I could use a recommendation for knee, elbow and chest protection. Based on what I'm seeing the Leatt 3DS stuff looks decent. What are you guys wrapping your kids in?
|
Froggy76
4/3/2019 2:26am
I got my kid the full leatt kit
- fusion 2.0 chest and built in neck brace
- 3D elbow and knee/shin guards

He has had a few crashes, some bigger than other ( like when his throttle got jammed on is ktm50sx) and always walked away no issues.

He s about to grow out of them and this time I will by a seperate neck brace and seperate chest protector as if you look up the website correctly the fusion is only rated as ce level 1 for both chest and back.
I will get him a 4.5 chest and back next.
aaryn #234
Fantasy
2425th
4/3/2019 4:19am Edited Date/Time 4/3/2019 4:21am
Its hard to always find high-quality protection for the smallest kids, my son turned 8 this week and there is not much of him size wise.

Have just got him into the new 6D ATR-2Y helmet, amazed how light it is for what is a bulkier-looking helmet.

Knee protections we were really struggling with, but just got hold of a set of the new Asterisk Micro cell knee braces, his knee is right on the minimum size for them but the fit great and he likes them, a big step up from running just a knee pad which is pretty much the only other option out there for a kid that small.

Chest he is a THOR guardian which has been good, going into its third year!

Boots we are running THOR Blitz boots. There is not a great range of choice for small kids, its pretty much Fox, Fly, Thor, Oneal which all look pretty similar or go Alpinestars Tech 7s, which are not that much more pricey really.

The Thor boots have been good and reliable, the bottom buckle can get a little lose and tricky to keep buckled up when they get older. Got a full year out of a size 2, about to get a set of size 3 and 4 of the same boot as the kid has to have a quick foot growth soon, has shot up in height but feet barley grown in a year lol.

Currently not running a neck brace, same as running one myself, I just don't know if they are a positive or a negative, if I was to get one I am thinking ill go the Atlas and see how he likes it.

As for elbow, he has some TLD elbow pads I got him for BMX but does not like wearing any elbow protection.
4DAIVIPAI2K5
4/3/2019 4:29am Edited Date/Time 4/3/2019 4:35am
Started with a Leatt combo, then switched to a motovest and Atlas brace as he said he could move more. He looked it also.
Now with a Thor CE rated under jersey chest protector, havent tried to run his atlas with it yet.

Had thor shin/knee guards, tried the thor knee braces. He hated then and they tore his legs up. Switched the Asterisk Jr cells used, he loves them, so he got a new pair at lorettas this past year. They have held up great. He is a normal kid who plays while at the track and will wear them all day with out complaint. The rep for Asterisk recommended the Jr Cell over the micro to get a long life out of them as he grew.

Bell Helmets in XS and TCX boots.

2 by 4DAIVIPAI2K5, on Flickr

LA2_9636 by 4DAIVIPAI2K5, on Flickr

EDITONLY-1991 by 4DAIVIPAI2K5, on Flickr

JWO_9431 by 4DAIVIPAI2K5, on Flickr
Chopin
4/3/2019 12:00pm
Great feedback. Any experience with the Alpinestars SX-1 knee guards? Looks like a high quality piece of kit.

The Shop

4/3/2019 12:29pm
Check out the TCX kids boots they are really nice and Quality. Motocrossvest.com I have two of these and they seem really good as well.
4DAIVIPAI2K5
4/3/2019 6:59pm
526 wrote:
Check out the TCX kids boots they are really nice and Quality. Motocrossvest.com I have two of these and they seem really good as well.
Had both impressed with both
Spooner
4/3/2019 7:39pm
Chopin wrote:
Great feedback. Any experience with the Alpinestars SX-1 knee guards? Looks like a high quality piece of kit.
They are a really nice dual hinge knee guard for sure. Fairly low profile as well.

Check out their A5s roost guard too. It’s CE level 1 and has a ton of ventilation. It also attaches nicely to their kids neck brace too.
Chopin
4/3/2019 8:40pm
Clearly, It's a good time to be a kid. Very cool to see companies actually care about putting out quality kids gear that works.

Post a reply to: Kids Protective gear?

The Latest