Kick Starter Design

Lancegee705
Hey guys i've noticed that the issue with your boots getting worn out and legs getting bruised from the kick start lever is a problem for a lot of people. I'm just wondering if you guys would buy a new lever that eliminated this issue? There's none on the market and i'm trying to design a new one to eliminate issues.
|
moto0852
11/8/2017 11:26am
Hey guys i've noticed that the issue with your boots getting worn out and legs getting bruised from the kick start lever is a problem for...
Hey guys i've noticed that the issue with your boots getting worn out and legs getting bruised from the kick start lever is a problem for a lot of people. I'm just wondering if you guys would buy a new lever that eliminated this issue? There's none on the market and i'm trying to design a new one to eliminate issues.
The bikes I ride don't have this "kick starter" thing that you speak of.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
11/8/2017 11:28am
What's the point? Most people now push a button and off they go. Not only that but more and more bikes are adding that feature. Two stroke bikes are easy to kick over so no need to have a new design for those bikes.

Not sure how you kickstart your bike but if you're bruising your leg in the process you're obviously not doing it right.
Lancegee705
11/8/2017 11:28am
Mine has both electric and kick start. Man power is always a good backup
Lancegee705
11/8/2017 11:38am
A lot of people don't have the money to go out and buy a new bike. People with old bikes have to go out and buy new boots every year, depending on how much they ride. If there was a way to prevent the soles of boots from wear, they would last longer, saving you money. Regarding the ones that can't kick correctly, i completely agree, some just don't get it. However, a lot of guys get tight valves or other issues that make the bike hard to kick and just don't fix it.

The Shop

Acidreamer
11/8/2017 12:02pm
A lot of people don't have the money to go out and buy a new bike. People with old bikes have to go out and buy...
A lot of people don't have the money to go out and buy a new bike. People with old bikes have to go out and buy new boots every year, depending on how much they ride. If there was a way to prevent the soles of boots from wear, they would last longer, saving you money. Regarding the ones that can't kick correctly, i completely agree, some just don't get it. However, a lot of guys get tight valves or other issues that make the bike hard to kick and just don't fix it.
Keeping boots from wearing down means using a softer material on the kick lever than what the boots are made of.

To aid in your solution, honda put rubber on the xr kick levers to help with boot wear. Worked pretty good from my memory. Ive never had a kick lever slap my leg tho.
Robgvx
11/8/2017 12:04pm
I would suggest that if your boots are getting worn out you'd be better off studying the footpegs rather than the kickstart...
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
11/8/2017 12:09pm
Before my accident I used to ride 3-4 times a week from the end of March to end of October before the weather got bad. I never had an issue wrecking boots from kick starting my bike or riding that much. I never had to buy new boots every year either. Given that I always wore high end boots so that could be a reason I didn't need to buy new ones every year.

By all means if you want to design a new kick start that you think will help reduce the wear and tear on boots go right a head, you don't need anyone's permission to do so but I don't really see how a new kickstart design will help with that.

Either way good luck!
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
11/8/2017 12:14pm
Robgvx wrote:
I would suggest that if your boots are getting worn out you'd be better off studying the footpegs rather than the kickstart...
x2 on this. Never heard of anyone wearing out boots from starting their bike.
Robgvx
11/8/2017 12:29pm
Robgvx wrote:
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Maybe someone who rides with both feet down and stalls a lot...
imoto34
Fantasy
3174th
11/8/2017 12:50pm
Robgvx wrote:
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Robgvx wrote:
Maybe someone who rides with both feet down and stalls a lot...
Hey, leave me out of it.
11/8/2017 12:51pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Before my accident I used to ride 3-4 times a week from the end of March to end of October before the weather got bad. I...
Before my accident I used to ride 3-4 times a week from the end of March to end of October before the weather got bad. I never had an issue wrecking boots from kick starting my bike or riding that much. I never had to buy new boots every year either. Given that I always wore high end boots so that could be a reason I didn't need to buy new ones every year.

By all means if you want to design a new kick start that you think will help reduce the wear and tear on boots go right a head, you don't need anyone's permission to do so but I don't really see how a new kickstart design will help with that.

Either way good luck!
My boot soles are completely worn through in 20 hours. Tech 10s currently and Gaerne before that. You must be easy on equipment. Not that mine wear from starting my bike, but it's different for everyone.
Donovan759
11/8/2017 1:06pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Before my accident I used to ride 3-4 times a week from the end of March to end of October before the weather got bad. I...

Either way good luck!
My boot soles are completely worn through in 20 hours. Tech 10s currently and Gaerne before that. You must be easy on equipment. Not that mine...
My boot soles are completely worn through in 20 hours. Tech 10s currently and Gaerne before that. You must be easy on equipment. Not that mine wear from starting my bike, but it's different for everyone.
I am the same way as Maverick with my equipment. I had a pair of Astar Tech 6 from like 2007 - 2012 that I rode 5-7 days a week for 1-2 hours Apr-Nov. Would have kept riding w/ them but I put a hole in the side of the boot from kicking my bike the wrong way.

From 2013-now I haven't been riding as much but I have a pair of Gaerne SG10's that are still in excellent condition. I am definitely easy on my equipment, but there is definitely a right & a wrong way to kick your bike if you want to save your boots.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
11/8/2017 1:08pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:

Either way good luck!
My boot soles are completely worn through in 20 hours. Tech 10s currently and Gaerne before that. You must be easy on equipment. Not that mine...
Ive noticed some people move around a lot more then others. I can tell you that for me, a few years back I had a set of SG10's. I wore through the bottoms in about 25 hours all the way down to the metal. I rode a lot more aggressive and moved around on the bike a lot at the time. Ive had my tech 10's for the last 4 years and haven't worn them out nearly like my SG10's. I also don't ride nearly as aggressive or move around as much anymore
ktmdan
11/8/2017 1:34pm
I don't know anyone running through boots in one year. I feel like the price of new soles would be cheaper than a special kickstarter. I can't imagine it would be a cheap thing to manufacture, especially considering how few you would need to make.
b_kowalsk
11/8/2017 1:39pm
Never heard of boots being worn out from kickstarting. To do that would require you to be spending more time starting your bike than riding and in that case there is something wrong. Or you just have really cheap boots.
SPYGUY
Fantasy
725th
11/8/2017 4:05pm
If you're having to kick your bike so much that your boots are wearing out, it may be time to adjust the valves.
reded
11/8/2017 4:32pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:

Either way good luck!
Braggart.
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
11/8/2017 4:37pm
Just joined huh?

Much ty X2.

Post a reply to: Kick Starter Design

The Latest