Keto supplements and diet

hyler199
Edited Date/Time 10/16/2018 5:19pm
Someone at our local XC races seems to be liking this stuff. Says boosts energy while kind of maintaining a "normal" diet and burns fat.

https://pruvitnow.com/products/
|
Silliker269
10/31/2017 6:10pm
I Did Keto for while and had no energy what so ever during cardio or endurance activites. Especially longer mountain bike rides . It is a good diet for getting ripped though
10/31/2017 6:12pm
I Did Keto for while and had no energy what so ever during cardio or endurance activites. Especially longer mountain bike rides . It is a...
I Did Keto for while and had no energy what so ever during cardio or endurance activites. Especially longer mountain bike rides . It is a good diet for getting ripped though
How long were you into keto?

Normally it takes 2-3 weeks before you get feeling good again
JMR1976
10/31/2017 6:47pm Edited Date/Time 10/31/2017 6:48pm
Bro steroids and epo is the way. Everything else is wasted time. #Swole

The Shop

hyler199
10/31/2017 8:03pm
I was mainly drawn into the info provided saying: that it helps keeping you in a state of burning fat.

Im not interested in acquiring muscle, I am an athletic overweight guy. Used to play rugby/football body type.

Mainly interested in keeping the cals burning, while i might be sitting behind a desk job 8 hours a day.
Vet Rider
10/31/2017 8:07pm
Keto is not for energy. Its for weight loss. I lost 46lbs from 6/7 to 9/10. Stopped it and been eating normal at my new weight for the last month. Im going to start up again and get down another 30lbs. Once you get into ketosis, you will burn fat quickly as long as you limit the calories. no carbs no sugar. Thats really it.

But keto is NOT for energy. You will lose a little muscle mass in the process and lean out. But you will feel great. Nice and clear headed.
captmoto
10/31/2017 8:26pm
So what's the plan? I have a friend that is practically a vegan after he had a heart attack after riding one day. This seems to be the opposite of keto. His energy level is a lot lower than before his heart attack and is down 35 lbs in 10 weeks.
10/31/2017 8:39pm Edited Date/Time 10/31/2017 8:45pm
Vet Rider wrote:
Keto is not for energy. Its for weight loss. I lost 46lbs from 6/7 to 9/10. Stopped it and been eating normal at my new weight...
Keto is not for energy. Its for weight loss. I lost 46lbs from 6/7 to 9/10. Stopped it and been eating normal at my new weight for the last month. Im going to start up again and get down another 30lbs. Once you get into ketosis, you will burn fat quickly as long as you limit the calories. no carbs no sugar. Thats really it.

But keto is NOT for energy. You will lose a little muscle mass in the process and lean out. But you will feel great. Nice and clear headed.
If keto is not for energy how do the marathon, ultra marathon runners complete their races?
fins227
10/31/2017 8:45pm
Good lord that stuff is expensive
Jrewing
10/31/2017 8:51pm Edited Date/Time 10/31/2017 8:51pm
Vet Rider wrote:
Keto is not for energy. Its for weight loss. I lost 46lbs from 6/7 to 9/10. Stopped it and been eating normal at my new weight...

If keto is not for energy how do the marathon, ultra marathon runners complete their races?
Just slower than if they are on a suitable proven diet
Jake_CR250R
10/31/2017 8:51pm
I don't know a whole lot about it, but from what I've heard is that like most diets it will take a while to adapt to and feel "normal". You still have to watch your calories well because what you're eating might be more densely packed.
It was the JRE podcast with Dr. D'Agostino that really interested me in the diet, but I haven't tried starting it yet.
TheGetFresh
Fantasy
2551st
10/31/2017 8:54pm
Happy to see keto on vital. Really am. I’ve used ketogenic dieting during cuts a number of times and I’ve been happy with it. My sister is a marathon runner and will be running the NYC marathon in ketosis after being on the program for about 10 months. I may be able to answer some questions.

As for energy, you will actually have more energy for day to day stuff but you will likely lose your top five or ten percent as you phase in initially. Think of it like over rev. Keto makes that extra oomph difficult if you haven’t been fully adapted for 6 months to a year (according to Dom D’Agostino, the preeminent doctor on keto research) but other benefits are available before hand.

The reason you lose that energy is because of the difference between aerobic and anaerobic activity. Aerobic activity burns fat for energy with oxygen helping to metabolize that fat. Aerobic activity takes place in large muscle groups made up of red (slow twitch) muscle fibers. Anaerobic activity uses glucose as a fuel source and takes place in white (fast twitch) muscle fibers. You will have trouble when you are first adapting because you will not have much energy for fast twitch muscle. This should change as your body readapts to low carbohydrate intake.
onefiveight
10/31/2017 10:55pm
Vet Rider wrote:

Haha thank you! The guy that just set the world record for 100 mile run did it in ketosis.
Vet Rider
11/1/2017 4:55am
The energy thing is debatable and its really person to person. I was in ketosis for months. I had much better mental clarity, but my energy was nothing better than when I started. Muscle mass was down and I couldnt lift as heavy weight as I could before keto. But man the weight came off fast.
11/1/2017 5:21am Edited Date/Time 11/1/2017 5:22am
I've lost a huge amount of weight (or rather I did lose a lot of weight in the past - I restarted this week) on keto. So from the pov of not feeling as hungry as with a "regular" diet and in losing weight etc, I couldn't recommend it more. With that said there is a rough spot you have to go through before reaching ketosis.

I can't say I personally felt more energy of clear headed - obviously these things aren't necessarily easy to measure and as above, vary from person to person. I felt I was able to run longer through the result of losing the weight and thus not having to carry so much, but I don't believe I was more energetic otherwise.
Vet Rider
11/1/2017 5:56am
I've lost a huge amount of weight (or rather I did lose a lot of weight in the past - I restarted this week) on keto...
I've lost a huge amount of weight (or rather I did lose a lot of weight in the past - I restarted this week) on keto. So from the pov of not feeling as hungry as with a "regular" diet and in losing weight etc, I couldn't recommend it more. With that said there is a rough spot you have to go through before reaching ketosis.

I can't say I personally felt more energy of clear headed - obviously these things aren't necessarily easy to measure and as above, vary from person to person. I felt I was able to run longer through the result of losing the weight and thus not having to carry so much, but I don't believe I was more energetic otherwise.
Yeah eating Keto is awesome. Its not even a diet. You basically eat chicken, eggs and bacon all day. As much bacon as you can handle. It has the fats and proteins you need. I eat triple cheese burgers from wendys with no bun and my cholestral has went down 30 points in the last 6 months. Its amazing. Or I eat burrito bowls from chipotle with basically no rice or beans. But everything else. Its like cheating. And Coke zeros up the ass (not literally).
JRT812
11/1/2017 6:05am
So whats the point? Look great but have no energy?
Acidreamer
11/1/2017 6:09am
Why not just meet your nutriet requirements instead of trying crazy diets? Energy comes from meeting food requirements, not eating sugar, exercise and good sleep. “Diets” are marketing gimmicks. Just eat right and accept thats the way it is until you die.
Vet Rider
11/1/2017 6:18am
JRT812 wrote:
So whats the point? Look great but have no energy?
The keto diet is for losing weight. Thats it. Not for energy. You will have more energy when you weigh less and have no other health issues. Once you get to your goal weight, you go back to a balanced diet. Being in Ketosis is a natural byproduct of cutting your calories from carbs and sugars way back. And this is the key to losing weight. Almost every diet lands you in Ketosis if you are doing it right. Its called being fat adapted. Your body burns fats instead of carbs or sugars. And if you take in enough calories to where you are in a deficit, then you will lose body fat.
erik_94COBRA
11/1/2017 6:45am
There shouldn't be any loss in "energy" while in ketosis. Have been on a high fat low carb diet (modified paleo) for many years now and go into and out of ketosis regularly with no change in how I feel.

As someone noted above, there is a minor loss in maximal performance (full anaerobic capacity) that happens while in ketosis but that can be recovered. If while riding you are completely and totally maxed out throughout your body, you might want to consider backing it down a bit.

I have also experienced all of the health benefits noted above as well: clear headed, weight loss (>35 lbs), blood markers improving, etc.

vikingBoy
11/1/2017 7:06am
Ok, it has been proven to alter the VO2 capabilities of top athletes, so they are utilizing their oxygen input more efficiently, which is acting like a "hack" for endurance athletes. Its like a top cyclist, or runner getting a newer "bigger" set of lungs. Mind you there are things that someone on a keto diet needs to be conscious of, and needs to supplement appropriately. I listened to a pod cast of a guy that did 3 triathlons in 4 days. He monitored everything and worked closely with doctors to test for markers in the blood. They said that the markers in the blood after a difficult body depleting workout like a triathlon, will leave markers in the blood that represent free radical damage. This guy in ketosis only had a fraction of the markers in his blood after the 3 events, apposed to just one.

I was in to the keto diet a few years ago, and was in and out of ketosis for about 9 months, I did notice some positives and negatives. As some have said, I lost lots of weight, both fat and muscle. I wasnt as strong on ketosis, but I did have energy! Arm pump was not as much a problem when I rode, and I definately felt like my body was more efficient, I didnt get as tired during a ride. This coming from someone who hasnt trained for moto in 10+ years.

There are other health benefits to keto, like insulin sensitivity, reduced inflammation etc. They are actually starting to prescribe this diet to cancer patients.

If anyone is seriously considering this diet, please do your homework... there is a lot of info out there and they keep finding out more about this.
Superdave19
11/1/2017 7:13am
I've bounced in & out of Ketosis over the last 6 months- The first week you have serious with drawls from Sugar & Carbs. (Use to drink a TON of Sodas) Within a few weeks I felt normal. Normal weekly exercise felt fine. I'm no endurance athlete, but some crossfit + a 2hr MTB ride is no issue. Over the last 45 days I'm falling out of Ketosis a lot, but regardless, this whole journey has made me much more conscious of my diet. I still intake very, very little sugar, limit carbs. To be in complete Ketosis you need to follow it by the book.

For the weekend warrior, and creeping up on 50yrs old, it made me preform better, no doubt.
#RZRNick
11/1/2017 7:17am
I did the diet for 10 weeks and my lower back felt amazing, as it usually is tight when riding a lot of moto, and I'm in my truck all day for work.

My energy was very good after the initial 2 week period, I'll definitely be trying the diet again.
Vet Rider
11/1/2017 7:17am
I've bounced in & out of Ketosis over the last 6 months- The first week you have serious with drawls from Sugar & Carbs. (Use to...
I've bounced in & out of Ketosis over the last 6 months- The first week you have serious with drawls from Sugar & Carbs. (Use to drink a TON of Sodas) Within a few weeks I felt normal. Normal weekly exercise felt fine. I'm no endurance athlete, but some crossfit + a 2hr MTB ride is no issue. Over the last 45 days I'm falling out of Ketosis a lot, but regardless, this whole journey has made me much more conscious of my diet. I still intake very, very little sugar, limit carbs. To be in complete Ketosis you need to follow it by the book.

For the weekend warrior, and creeping up on 50yrs old, it made me preform better, no doubt.
This is what I do now. No regular sodas anymore. Just diet and I always try to eat no carbs if I can help it. Unless there is like a family dinner where I cant avoid it without not eating. Or if we go out for a pizza night with the kids. Then I will cheat. But it takes me less time now to get back into ketosis. Its a great feeling to be in ketosis. But the keto breath is awful.
twotwosix
11/1/2017 7:31am
From an nutritional standpoint, many of the people in this thread talking about ketosis sound like a bunch of D riders talking about different color powerbands...
11/1/2017 7:42am
Acidreamer wrote:
Why not just meet your nutriet requirements instead of trying crazy diets? Energy comes from meeting food requirements, not eating sugar, exercise and good sleep. “Diets”...
Why not just meet your nutriet requirements instead of trying crazy diets? Energy comes from meeting food requirements, not eating sugar, exercise and good sleep. “Diets” are marketing gimmicks. Just eat right and accept thats the way it is until you die.
It is that simple.

You can also go HIT workouts that will help you burn calories. Putting yourself on a "diet" will only hurt your future self, due to the fact that most people can't sustain a diet.

agn5009
11/1/2017 7:54am
twotwosix wrote:
From an nutritional standpoint, many of the people in this thread talking about ketosis sound like a bunch of D riders talking about different color powerbands...
So enlighten us. Obviously some would like to know.

Post a reply to: Keto supplements and diet

The Latest