Ken Roczen - what's coming this year?

GarySemics
I can’t help but to wonder what Ken is going to do in the rest of the SX Series and then, the outdoors. Considering his near career ending crash one year ago at the Anaheim 2 SX race, then what he has already done in the first three rounds of this year’s SX Series is nothing short of Extraordinary! But the big question now is, can he keep it going by improving each week or is he going to start to decline? The way I see it, since Ken’s big crash a year ago, his body and mind have been in a massive recovery mode. As he was recovering he was also doing as much fitness training as possible. He kept doing this all the way up to the season opener at A1. He even did a boot camp a little while before A1, also. It could be that Ken is reaching his breaking point, which basically means, physically and mentally burning out. I realize that Ken is an outstanding and determined racer but he is human. The human mind and body can only take so much before it needs time to recovery. The more time it has spent getting burned out, the more time it will take to fully recover. I just hope Ken is smart and patient enough to realize this and back it off a little, maybe have to settle for a top 5 instead of going for the wins and getting injured again. I know it’s nearly impossible for a young athlete in Ken’s position to settle for less when he really wants to win but... Settle this year so you can win next year!

That’s my opinion, what’s yours?
|
1/25/2018 3:34pm
I think playing it safe would be a great idea for Ken and it might just be enough to win the championship this year if everyone keeps crashing. With that said, I don't think he is willing to settle based on his comments about riding like a "Va….." last weekend.
yz133rider
1/25/2018 3:35pm
Not sure but if there are any more segments on his arm and come back its getting out of hand.

Every single moment they get a chance they are droning on and on about his comback. Enough already.

Talk about anything else.
Mini Elsinore
1/25/2018 3:39pm
If any rider can justify taking the summer off---it's Roczen, imo.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
1/25/2018 3:45pm
Although his arm must be a huge factor, Ken's biggest adjustment will be mental. He will have to change up his racecraft and approach racing differently than he would have in 2017 had he not gotten hurt.
Last year, he believed he was the fastest rider on the track and it showed. Arguably, he was going to dominate a lot of races.
This year he's not as much a shoe-in for the win and he'll have to adjust for that.

I want to see his performance for a few more races before I call it, but consider these facts:
-He rode toward the front at A1. A good sign.
-He improved his finish by 2 positions for Houston. Another good sign.
-He had a bad race at A2, much like many of his "title contender" opponents. A bad night? (Mental?)
If he lands a win in the next round or two, I could easily see him start a streak.

The Shop

kkawboy14
1/25/2018 3:52pm Edited Date/Time 1/25/2018 4:30pm
Did his head get in the way last Saturday or his fitness? That’s the million dollar question to be answered this Saturday!
1/25/2018 4:44pm
kkawboy14 wrote:
Did his head get in the way last Saturday or his fitness? That’s the million dollar question to be answered this Saturday!
Fitness?? 3mins into the very first main event of the night when even Chad wasn't breathing heavy yet? That seems a little far fetched to me... He did get 4th in the final & longest main of the night
1/25/2018 4:54pm
kkawboy14 wrote:
Probably head. Same race one year ago where he almost ended his career. Hard to put that behind yoh
JAFO92
1/25/2018 4:54pm
I think the guy is doing everything 100% correct. Riding in race conditions and just putting in the laps, feeling out what/how his arm performs without pushing too hard into a crash.
1/25/2018 4:55pm
I think A2 was a bit of a fluke. I think maybe the gear in the first moto psyched him out a bit, I mean who wouldn't be effected by that?
Mit12
1/25/2018 5:29pm
I wonder if his arm is getting tired and he is trying to fight through it. I hope he is willing to accept what he can get and not push to the point to of crashing.
ToolMaker
Fantasy
726th
1/25/2018 5:51pm
" I just hope Ken is smart and patient enough to realize this and back it off a little, maybe have to settle for a top 5 instead of going for the wins and getting injured again."

I've read (don't remember where) that the guys riding at that level, when slowing down to ride "safe"
are more prone to making a mistake then when they attack the track. Having said that, it sure seems that
any athlete knows when they are pushing their limits. Is he pushing his limits to be competitive?
That's the $64,000 question.
I'm in complete agreement that I'd rather see a slower full recovery than a balls out leading to a career
ending mistake.
TM
kiwifan
1/25/2018 5:56pm
ToolMaker wrote:
" I just hope Ken is smart and patient enough to realize this and back it off a little, maybe have to settle for a top...
" I just hope Ken is smart and patient enough to realize this and back it off a little, maybe have to settle for a top 5 instead of going for the wins and getting injured again."

I've read (don't remember where) that the guys riding at that level, when slowing down to ride "safe"
are more prone to making a mistake then when they attack the track. Having said that, it sure seems that
any athlete knows when they are pushing their limits. Is he pushing his limits to be competitive?
I'm in complete agreement that I'd rather see a slower full recovery than a balls out leading to a career
ending mistake.
TM
er are we not seeing a slow full recovery?...he is being patient and not overriding...
JB 19
1/25/2018 5:57pm
I still think he will win the title. He handles the pressure of a title chase the best out of those guys. I also think outdoor nationals will come easier to him at this stage because he can fall back on his natural fluid motocross style of standing up and flowing through the ruts. He won't have to be so dependant on pure strength.
Skuzzy29
1/25/2018 6:00pm
Why are we guessing so much? He's the most 'open' rider we have racing right now. He said he was tight at A2 and battling some demons deep down that day.
If his arm was getting tired, he'd probably post about it and say he's going to push through it. He doesn't seem to hide much.
dirtnapper
1/25/2018 6:15pm
Am I the only one who is getting really tired of hearing the same thing over an over again?

Remember when Trey Canard and Ryan Morais had that terrible crash in LA in 2012?
Trey broke his back and had just come back from TWO broken femurs. Ryan broke his back, his ribs and BOTH his jaws. Those were nasty terrible injuries and yet both guys came back to ride and race again.

I am quite sure their recoveries were as long and traumatic as Kens was.

The only reason everyone is talking about Ken so much is he's pretty much whored his recovery out on social media and put everything in our faces every step of the way. He's NOT the only guy who has gone through a long and hard recovery.

Why is everyone kissing his ass so hard? Is he really more of a hero than Trey or Ryan were? Someone please enlighten me......Dry
oldblood
1/25/2018 6:21pm
You guys should be happy, he proved he has patience, and patience is a virtue that wins championships.
kiwifan
1/25/2018 6:38pm
dirtnapper wrote:
Am I the only one who is getting really tired of hearing the same thing over an over again? Remember when Trey Canard and Ryan Morais...
Am I the only one who is getting really tired of hearing the same thing over an over again?

Remember when Trey Canard and Ryan Morais had that terrible crash in LA in 2012?
Trey broke his back and had just come back from TWO broken femurs. Ryan broke his back, his ribs and BOTH his jaws. Those were nasty terrible injuries and yet both guys came back to ride and race again.

The only reason everyone is talking about Ken so much is he's pretty much whored his recovery out on social media and put everything in our faces every step of the way. He's NOT the only guy who has gone through a long and hard recovery.

Why is everyone kissing his ass so hard? Is he really more of a hero than Trey or Ryan were? Someone please enlighten me......Dry
Perhaps because he came very close to losing his arm, he had compartment syndrome, he had 11 operations, his wrist was stuffed, his elbow was stuffed....his comeback form such serious injuries is extraordinary.

Saying he has whored out his recovery is such a bitter and disrespectful comment. Congrats for winning the douche post of the week award.
ti473
1/25/2018 7:15pm
Dude... ONE bad race.... And he's already "burnt out"...
toroP
1/25/2018 7:26pm
GarySemics wrote:
Phenix will be interesting, to say the least!
Another lengthy expose on Roczen’s health. What’s up?
dirtnapper
1/25/2018 7:40pm
dirtnapper wrote:
Am I the only one who is getting really tired of hearing the same thing over an over again? Remember when Trey Canard and Ryan Morais...

kiwifan wrote:
Perhaps because he came very close to losing his arm, he had compartment syndrome, he had 11 operations, his wrist was stuffed, his elbow was stuffed....his...
Perhaps because he came very close to losing his arm, he had compartment syndrome, he had 11 operations, his wrist was stuffed, his elbow was stuffed....his comeback form such serious injuries is extraordinary.

Saying he has whored out his recovery is such a bitter and disrespectful comment. Congrats for winning the douche post of the week award.
Your first paragraph is exactly what I'm talking about........the same thing repeated over and over....

I'm sorry you feel I am being a douche but those are my thoughts.

Do you agree that Trey and Ryan's comebacks from their injuries were extraordinary too? Or JUST Kens comeback was?
bama205
1/25/2018 7:51pm
dirtnapper wrote:

kiwifan wrote:
Perhaps because he came very close to losing his arm, he had compartment syndrome, he had 11 operations, his wrist was stuffed, his elbow was stuffed....his...

dirtnapper wrote:
Your first paragraph is exactly what I'm talking about........the same thing repeated over and over.... I'm sorry you feel I am being a douche but those...
Your first paragraph is exactly what I'm talking about........the same thing repeated over and over....

Do you agree that Trey and Ryan's comebacks from their injuries were extraordinary too? Or JUST Kens comeback was?
Or CP377
FlaNard
1/25/2018 8:09pm
dirtnapper wrote:

Ken is our sports Katlyn Jenner. You're only allowed to call him a sexy women and an inspiration.
FlaNard
1/25/2018 8:11pm
dirtnapper wrote:

kiwifan wrote:

Don't fool yourself. Ken has milked this comeback and injury for all it's worth. You just refuse to see it.
jj welks
1/25/2018 8:46pm Edited Date/Time 1/25/2018 8:46pm
dirtnapper wrote:

kiwifan wrote:

FlaNard wrote:
Don't fool yourself. Ken has milked this comeback and injury for all it's worth. You just refuse to see it.
Your absolutely delusional buddy, good luck in life, KR is a beast, deal with it
dirtnapper
1/25/2018 9:02pm
kiwifan wrote:

FlaNard wrote:
jj welks wrote:
Your absolutely delusional buddy, good luck in life, KR is a beast, deal with it
No one said he wasn't a beast. Not one person has said that.

I'm just pointing out that many MANY other motocross athletes have come back from tremendouse injury as well, and they haven't been raised to the God-like status that a good majority of you have lifted Ken to......
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
1/25/2018 9:08pm
FlaNard wrote:
jj welks wrote:
dirtnapper wrote:
No one said he wasn't a beast. Not one person has said that. I'm just pointing out that many MANY other motocross athletes have come back...
No one said he wasn't a beast. Not one person has said that.

I'm just pointing out that many MANY other motocross athletes have come back from tremendouse injury as well, and they haven't been raised to the God-like status that a good majority of you have lifted Ken to......
Which one of these other riders came back from 10+ surgical procedures and were immediately top 5 riders?

I get that Flanard just is butthurt over Kenny for some reason.
1/25/2018 9:08pm
FlaNard wrote:
The main people milking his cone back is the AMA and Fox sports, heck they use the footage to promote the sport.
agn5009
1/25/2018 9:13pm
ToolMaker wrote:
" I just hope Ken is smart and patient enough to realize this and back it off a little, maybe have to settle for a top...

ending mistake.
TM
It's a true assessment. I've obviously never been at Ken's level, but I can say that any time I would ride at a slower pace I would make mistakes. It's probably due to riding how you're not accustomed to riding and focusing less.
kiwifan
1/25/2018 9:17pm
dirtnapper wrote:
Your first paragraph is exactly what I'm talking about........the same thing repeated over and over.... I'm sorry you feel I am being a douche but those...

I personally think its damn stupid to compare anyones injury to another, all are separate cases and should be treated as such

Post a reply to: Ken Roczen - what's coming this year?

The Latest