Ken Roczen is Taking The Summer Off

kiwifan
8/11/2020 4:01pm
H4L wrote:
I can't believe some of the shit I read on this forum sometimes.. Unreal..
lol you are surprised? hehehe

Yeah this and the 2021 RMZ thread really deliver !
H4L
8/11/2020 4:02pm Edited Date/Time 8/11/2020 4:05pm
FastEddy wrote:
Pretty sure it was 1999 first year he did 250SX. Had a terrible season and people wrote him off especially when he took time off. He...
Pretty sure it was 1999 first year he did 250SX.
Had a terrible season and people wrote him off especially when he took time off.
He got better in 2000 and then in 2001 he won 13 SX's.

2004 would also be a good example(maybe better) when he got knee surgery and was out for SX and came back outdoors and smoked them 24 & 0.

My point is...you cant ever write-off any of these guys who are title contenders for taking a needed break.
They can still come back and progress and be a contender - it's not impossible.
I was at the Las Vegas 99 SX when he took a spill on the whoops & tried to get back on his KX250.

https://youtu.be/9_BdyB-SBDw

https://racerxonline.com/results/1999/sx/points/250sx
Johnny Ringo
8/11/2020 4:25pm
Matthes just tweeted that at the start of the pandemic Ken offered up a portion of his salary for folks At Honda that were in danger of being let go due to the virus. Guy is a legend if you ask me
H4L
8/11/2020 4:29pm
Matthes just tweeted that at the start of the pandemic Ken offered up a portion of his salary for folks At Honda that were in danger...
Matthes just tweeted that at the start of the pandemic Ken offered up a portion of his salary for folks At Honda that were in danger of being let go due to the virus. Guy is a legend if you ask me
That's what legends are made of..

The Shop

GarySemics
8/11/2020 4:44pm
88FYNN88 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/08/10/443088/s1200_456B8AD9_6C74_403C_BC0F_B75CAE47D8EC.jpg[/img]

Ken ain’t no dummy. Smart move KR! Enjoy the time off and come back strong next year!
8/11/2020 4:52pm
Honda has not cared about winning a motocross title in the usa for nearly 20yrs. Probably never will again. Nothing shocking about this announcement.
Shaned9326
8/11/2020 4:54pm
Sucks to see him sitting out but at least the rest will be lining up in a few days!! The guy has been thrilled alit if shit and hopefully for all of us he comes back fresh and ready to battle come Anaheim!! between mxgp and our series we have some good stuff to talk about again!!
CM_84
8/11/2020 4:58pm Edited Date/Time 8/11/2020 5:01pm
Honda has not cared about winning a motocross title in the usa for nearly 20yrs. Probably never will again. Nothing shocking about this announcement.
Laughing
And how would you know that? what an utterly stupid thing to say.
Yeah, they are just turning up to look cool and hang out with their buddies.
Laughing

You know they finished 2nd last year, and 3rd the year before with Kenny yeah?
at the end of they day they have been beaten by a 4 time Motocross champion, doesnt mean they arent trying to beat him.....its really not difficult to understand.

And I bet if they wrote Eli an astronomical cheque and they won, you would say "Honda just buy championships"
BS12
8/11/2020 5:08pm
All the best to the bloke, gotta put your health and family first, especially while on the back foot dealing with whatever keeps knocking him down.

And while his results, speed etc is already proven in SX to be of absolute elite status, one would hope he's able to bring the heat upon his return and on the new '21 next year. I wonder if they've forward contingency planned into mid next year if things haven't improved after this time off?
FerCzD
8/11/2020 5:26pm
And that is the reason why they won't win a SX championship in the next 20 years.

He can sit out the Nationals, by the end of this weekend no one will remember him, the talk will center around the racing.

It's going to be fun silly season talk before A1. I bet all Ken fans will talk on how dominant he was in his "good races in 2020" at the same time totally ignoring when he got lapped and comments of such pointing the invincible form he was half a decade ago (2016).

The sport forgets fast and easly. "You are as good as your last race". So I hope for Ken's legacy that he comes swinging in 2021.
8/11/2020 7:09pm
H4L wrote:
I can't believe some of the shit I read on this forum sometimes.. Unreal..
kiwifan wrote:
lol you are surprised? hehehe

Yeah this and the 2021 RMZ thread really deliver !
10yrs on this forum this thread is mild as shit
Moto_Geek
Fantasy
1666th
8/11/2020 8:52pm
Agree life can get pretty busy, but why not just say Supercross Only bruh.

This is more of a question. I would imagine these atheletes count how many concussions they have like how many cat lives they have left. Just reality when you start a family. Just not enough money for these riders in Outdoors? Smile
kage173
8/12/2020 5:03am
Kenny seems like hes over it. And who would blame him? Guy has been riding pro for a long time.

I doubt he makes it back, at least in a way that hes competing for championships. Why would mire time off help him? Hes had more healthy time off this year than ever in his life.

Hes gotten a taste of that family life and not traveling every weekend... and he likes it.
str8line
8/12/2020 5:54am Edited Date/Time 8/12/2020 5:55am
kage173 wrote:
Kenny seems like hes over it. And who would blame him? Guy has been riding pro for a long time. I doubt he makes it back...
Kenny seems like hes over it. And who would blame him? Guy has been riding pro for a long time.

I doubt he makes it back, at least in a way that hes competing for championships. Why would mire time off help him? Hes had more healthy time off this year than ever in his life.

Hes gotten a taste of that family life and not traveling every weekend... and he likes it.
I agree, he may not come back. Can you imagine the pressure he's been under since he was a little kid? World champion at 15, he never got to be a kid. Then those injuries. And coming back to win again. Then the paralyzing injury to a family member while he was there. It's like he's lived several lives already. The risks are huge and he knows it better than anyone. Now he has the perfect life with a kid on the way. If I were him I'd take the same path as RV... become Honda brand ambassador, show up to a few events, ride with my kids. I bet he'll have a home in Park City within a year.
motomike137
8/12/2020 8:38am
CM_84 wrote:
:laugh: And how would you know that? what an utterly stupid thing to say. Yeah, they are just turning up to look cool and hang out...
Laughing
Laughing

at the end of they day they have been beaten by a 4 time Motocross champion, doesnt mean they arent trying to beat him.....its really not difficult to understand.

And I bet if they wrote Eli an astronomical cheque and they won, you would say "Honda just buy championships"
Yeah I think when they hired Kenny they figured they would get a 450 Motocross title in the deal.
CM_84
8/12/2020 2:37pm
CM_84 wrote:
:laugh: And how would you know that? what an utterly stupid thing to say. Yeah, they are just turning up to look cool and hang out...
Laughing
Laughing

Yeah I think when they hired Kenny they figured they would get a 450 Motocross title in the deal.
Yep, When they hired him, he was the defending MX Champ. but they weren't trying to win? Vital never ceases to amaze me Laughing
BUTWHY?
8/12/2020 6:07pm
Brent wrote:
...that would probably explain why Craig has been practicing on the HRC factory bike for the last two months around here. If I were Roczen I'd...
...that would probably explain why Craig has been practicing on the HRC factory bike for the last two months around here.

If I were Roczen I'd make the same decision, no one wants to bring COVID home from the road to his newborn son. I guess he can start shaking down the 2021 bike sooner now...
ML512 wrote:
He just started riding the HRC bike in the past few days. Prior to that, the bike you saw was one of Geico's bikes and built...
He just started riding the HRC bike in the past few days. Prior to that, the bike you saw was one of Geico's bikes and built to their spec, not a HRC one.
What would be the biggest differences? (Genuinely curious)
kiwifan
8/12/2020 6:17pm
Matthes just tweeted that at the start of the pandemic Ken offered up a portion of his salary for folks At Honda that were in danger...
that is awesome! thanks for sharing
SwingHard
8/12/2020 7:07pm
Elbows wrote:
It was stated earlier that he gets paid whether he rides or not.
I wanna see that contract! A SX/ MX racer receiving a Guaranteed contract? I don't think Scott Boras (Super Agent) could pull that off!
8/12/2020 7:38pm
Brent wrote:
...that would probably explain why Craig has been practicing on the HRC factory bike for the last two months around here. If I were Roczen I'd...
...that would probably explain why Craig has been practicing on the HRC factory bike for the last two months around here.

If I were Roczen I'd make the same decision, no one wants to bring COVID home from the road to his newborn son. I guess he can start shaking down the 2021 bike sooner now...
ML512 wrote:
He just started riding the HRC bike in the past few days. Prior to that, the bike you saw was one of Geico's bikes and built...
He just started riding the HRC bike in the past few days. Prior to that, the bike you saw was one of Geico's bikes and built to their spec, not a HRC one.
BUTWHY? wrote:
Brakes, front mostly is the biggest thing. Hubs as well
tjnel
8/12/2020 8:11pm
H4L wrote:
Do you mean 2004 SX ? I don't remember him taking anytime off in 99 as his moto career had just gotten started in 97 I...
Do you mean 2004 SX ? I don't remember him taking anytime off in 99 as his moto career had just gotten started in 97 I believe.
FastEddy wrote:
Pretty sure it was 1999 first year he did 250SX. Had a terrible season and people wrote him off especially when he took time off. He...
Had a terrible season and people wrote him off especially when he took time off.

2004 would also be a good example(maybe better) when he got knee surgery and was out for SX and came back outdoors and smoked them 24 & 0.

My point is...you cant ever write-off any of these guys who are title contenders for taking a needed break.
Carmichael missed a handful of rounds in '99 SX but he only missed 4 consecutive rounds (https://vault.racerxonline.com/1999/sx/races). Is that what you're talking about? I don't remember the details of that period of 'time off' - was it due to injury or did RC need to regroup? When he came back he had one of his best finishes of the season so I imagine they have spent time testing and getting better prepared after a disappointing first few rounds. If you have more details I'd be interested to hear them because I'm not totally up to speed on that.

At any rate, it's tough to compare that with Roczen skipping an entire series, don't you think? RC competed in the majority of the '99 SX races and then won the 125 MX championship that year.
Johnny Ringo
8/13/2020 5:47am
H4L wrote:
Do you mean 2004 SX ? I don't remember him taking anytime off in 99 as his moto career had just gotten started in 97 I...
Do you mean 2004 SX ? I don't remember him taking anytime off in 99 as his moto career had just gotten started in 97 I believe.
FastEddy wrote:

tjnel wrote:
Carmichael missed a handful of rounds in '99 SX but he only missed 4 consecutive rounds (https://vault.racerxonline.com/1999/sx/races). Is that what you're talking about? I don't remember...
Carmichael missed a handful of rounds in '99 SX but he only missed 4 consecutive rounds (https://vault.racerxonline.com/1999/sx/races). Is that what you're talking about? I don't remember the details of that period of 'time off' - was it due to injury or did RC need to regroup? When he came back he had one of his best finishes of the season so I imagine they have spent time testing and getting better prepared after a disappointing first few rounds. If you have more details I'd be interested to hear them because I'm not totally up to speed on that.

At any rate, it's tough to compare that with Roczen skipping an entire series, don't you think? RC competed in the majority of the '99 SX races and then won the 125 MX championship that year.
RC missed a handful of races in 99 after taking a peg to the leg, and missed 2004 SX due to an ACL. Not really the same as Ken’s deal.

I’d compare it more to Kdub taking a hiatus in 02
mx_phreek
Fantasy
210th
8/13/2020 6:54am
Let's be real, the outdoors would be ending now not starting if it was a normal year. So it's not like he's pulling out the first week of May. We all know his body has gotten run down half way through the year for the last couple years and he's struggled.
He has still struggled with the season ending in August before for the next year, so to go even later into the year and give less down time to recover and rest the body before sx testing begins on the grind back to A1 only means he'll be worse off next year.
Plus the fact he has a brand new bike to develop too adds to it. They don't believe he can win outdoors in current condition so are pulling the plug hoping for a better next year. Which I am fully down with him pulling out if they feel it'll help his competitiveness next year. Remember how good the races were for half of sx when he was feeling good. That's what we want for a full season, and I'm pretty confident we wouldn't get that if he had to grind the outdoor season out and straight into bike development for upcoming sx season. So I just want a healthy Kenny for next year racing and if that means skipping 9 races, which btw aren't certain to all happen yet, then I'm down with it.
Taddy
Fantasy
4138th
8/13/2020 10:06am
Tomac didn’t do Mxon and got mad hate for his decision. Roczen is praises for skipping a whole series. Tomac s reasoning was to prep and...
Tomac didn’t do Mxon and got mad hate for his decision.
Roczen is praises for skipping a whole series.

Tomac s reasoning was to prep and win a sx title which he did.

Hope it works out for Kenny but his window is really closing on him now.
"to prep for SX" 😂

you believe that?

Fmotp dont come to race the biggest race on this planet?

They got a asskick a year before on homesoil. Everyone, Kenny too.
Excaliburbmx
8/13/2020 10:54am
Tomac didn’t do Mxon and got mad hate for his decision. Roczen is praises for skipping a whole series. Tomac s reasoning was to prep and...

Taddy wrote:
"to prep for SX" 😂 you believe that? Fmotp dont come to race the biggest race on this planet? They got a asskick a year before...
"to prep for SX" 😂

you believe that?

Mud race on a new bike and you want this to be his only stat you use?
mxb2
8/13/2020 10:59am

Taddy wrote:
"to prep for SX" 😂 you believe that? Fmotp dont come to race the biggest race on this planet? They got a asskick a year before...
"to prep for SX" 😂

you believe that?

Yea,. Lol. Glenn fmotp. Yea. 4th overall sucks. And kawy achieved the goal won mec, sx . simple. You can think what ya want. Until you sign the paychecks. They dont care what you think.
mxav8r
8/13/2020 11:23am
ML512 wrote:
BUTWHY? wrote:
Brakes, front mostly is the biggest thing. Hubs as well
Sorry, but that isn't even close to true.

Post a reply to: Ken Roczen is Taking The Summer Off

The Latest