Keeping injuries quiet

1/13/2018 6:16am
Sorry to start another injury thread, but why in this sport are injuries kept so quiet or talked down? Why has it become a thing? I can't see the advantage offered to the competition by being honest about an injury.
It's not a question aimed at any one rider, just the general trend
|
es337
1/13/2018 6:28am
There is no significant gambling to warrant injury disclosures.
StevieTimes
1/13/2018 6:52am
If a fella got a concussion, and didn't want to be subject to scrutiny, they could downplay the injury to just a bruised shoulder or something.
JohnnyD13
1/13/2018 7:26am
I think it’s the mental game. Like the way cooper treated Kenny. If they know that a rider is weak or might crack, then more pressure will be applied. I understand fully why they do it. I think it’s a big strategic move. I don’t like not knowing, but I wouldn’t say anything about a weakness to my competition

The Shop

lumpy790
1/13/2018 7:34am
JohnnyD13 wrote:
I think it’s the mental game. Like the way cooper treated Kenny. If they know that a rider is weak or might crack, then more pressure...
I think it’s the mental game. Like the way cooper treated Kenny. If they know that a rider is weak or might crack, then more pressure will be applied. I understand fully why they do it. I think it’s a big strategic move. I don’t like not knowing, but I wouldn’t say anything about a weakness to my competition
Well said sir..... and hase been going on since the 1st Moto days.
Ted722
1/13/2018 7:39am
gnarwhip wrote:
$
In more ways than one. If there was a lot of betting going on like the NFL, there’d be better...more accurate reporting.
LungButter
1/13/2018 7:49am
JohnnyD13 wrote:
I think it’s the mental game. Like the way cooper treated Kenny. If they know that a rider is weak or might crack, then more pressure...
I disagree.

What "more pressure" would be applied?

Personally, I think if guys knew the guy whooping their ass was doing it with an injury that it would be even more demoralizing.

I don't get the secrecy at all, it's lame and kinda bush league in my opinion.

Are people gonna be gunning for Tomac's shoulder this weekend?
1/13/2018 7:56am
JohnnyD13 wrote:
I don't think that has much to do with kennys injury. Personally I think it would provide an advantage to talk up an injury then come in stronger than your competition expects
BobbyM
1/13/2018 8:37am Edited Date/Time 1/13/2018 8:37am
Sorry to start another injury thread, but why in this sport are injuries kept so quiet or talked down? Why has it become a thing? I...
Sorry to start another injury thread, but why in this sport are injuries kept so quiet or talked down? Why has it become a thing? I can't see the advantage offered to the competition by being honest about an injury.
It's not a question aimed at any one rider, just the general trend
They don't wanna seem like pussies.
731chopper
Fantasy
390th
1/13/2018 8:37am
I'd do the opposite. If I had a minor cold I'd get wheeled out in a hospital bed for opening ceremonies and tell the crowd the lab results haven't come back yet but I would find a way to gut it out and be lining up tonight.
BobbyM
1/13/2018 8:39am
JohnnyD13 wrote:
LungButter wrote:
I disagree. What "more pressure" would be applied? Personally, I think if guys knew the guy whooping their ass was doing it with an injury that...
I disagree.

What "more pressure" would be applied?

Personally, I think if guys knew the guy whooping their ass was doing it with an injury that it would be even more demoralizing.

I don't get the secrecy at all, it's lame and kinda bush league in my opinion.

Are people gonna be gunning for Tomac's shoulder this weekend?
I doubt if tomac lines up 100%. Won't be a need to aim for anything.

Post a reply to: Keeping injuries quiet

The Latest