Keeping in shape for motocross

NoahSuthy99
I wouldn't say I am completely out of shape, I go on a 20 mile bike ride every day on a MTB bike, as well as doing P90X as much as I can, but my endurance is still nothing compared to what the pros are doing nowadays. I am a young amateur hoping to be at that level someday, but i get tired even with 4 lap motos at the local track. Now i know it may be the way i ride, bad form or whatever, and I need to work on it. But off the bike, i can run a 6 minute mile and have endurance better than most. I read cycling is supposed to help endurance a lot and i can notice a little bit of a difference, but is there anything else I can do? How can i get my endurance to a pro level?
|
8/29/2016 1:19pm
Sounds like your cardio is in check if you are a six minute miler, which makes me more wonder about your strength If you are wearing down that quickly.
DE262
8/29/2016 1:19pm
Start swimming. Like a lot.
And/or hire Aldon Baker/ Ryan Hughes/ Etc...
Or keep doing what you're doing- sounds like you're on the right track.
Camp332
8/29/2016 1:26pm
First question: Do you even lift Bro?!

The Shop

olds cool
8/29/2016 1:28pm Edited Date/Time 8/29/2016 1:31pm
How much moto seat time are you getting during the week? Ever hear the one about the guy who asked how to get to Carnegie Hall? The answer is practice, practice and a little more practice. Kind of simplified but when done properly will help.

Almost forgot; STFU Noob! Seriously though, good luck. Wish I was young enough to make a real run at it.
olds cool
8/29/2016 1:45pm
Hate to say it but unless your last name is Dowd or McGrath, 15 may be a little long in the tooth to contemplate a pro mx career. I hope you prove me wrong though.
Uncle Tony
8/29/2016 1:57pm
If you do all those things you say you do, you are in great shape! How often do you race? Im one of the believers that you only get faster by racing, pounding laps at the practice track just makes you an expert at getting around a track you have a million laps on, and when you do practice take the bumpy lines, I see lots of guys take the good lines and when they get to a race can't get out of their on way, good luck
bvm111
8/29/2016 2:01pm
if you want to get out of shape really fast... I am your guy for advice WinkTongue
wreckitrandy
8/29/2016 2:03pm
Camp332 wrote:
First question: Do you even lift Bro?!
Second question: What do you need to be in shape for? You just sit there and turn the gas....
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
8/29/2016 2:18pm
I'm not an expert, but you also need to consider what your putting into your body. The food you eat is basically your bodies fuel. If you are eating wrong you will run out of fuel faster.

The RacerX VT site has great info on all things training:
http://www.racerxvt.com

If you can afford it Coach Seiji who trains Andrew Short offers an online program for $150 a month.
http://www.coachseiji.com/coaching-training-packages/
crusty_xx
Fantasy
156th
8/29/2016 2:20pm Edited Date/Time 8/29/2016 2:21pm
I had the exact same problems as you when I switched from 85 to the big bikes.
Indoor rowing is what helped me the most. Well I'm not a pro and didn't try to be one, but it definitely raised my level endurance wise
mark1960
8/29/2016 3:00pm
crusty_xx wrote:
I had the exact same problems as you when I switched from 85 to the big bikes. Indoor rowing is what helped me the most. Well...
I had the exact same problems as you when I switched from 85 to the big bikes.
Indoor rowing is what helped me the most. Well I'm not a pro and didn't try to be one, but it definitely raised my level endurance wise
Yes, rowing.
CamP
8/29/2016 3:03pm
Burn 4 gallons of gas a day, and you won't get tired in 4 laps.
xr70
8/29/2016 3:05pm
olds cool wrote:
How much moto seat time are you getting during the week? Ever hear the one about the guy who asked how to get to Carnegie Hall...
How much moto seat time are you getting during the week? Ever hear the one about the guy who asked how to get to Carnegie Hall? The answer is practice, practice and a little more practice. Kind of simplified but when done properly will help.

Almost forgot; STFU Noob! Seriously though, good luck. Wish I was young enough to make a real run at it.
^^^^ This, and STFU,
NoahSuthy99
8/29/2016 3:25pm
CamP wrote:
I don't get tired in just 4 laps, I run 2 classes and usually dont get tired until the final moto so its more of i get tired after 16 laps. Also, i believe my problem is my form on the bike and not breathing properly. Just need to practice.
Joko
Fantasy
190th
8/29/2016 3:31pm
This past off season, For me, I tried swimming, rowing and stationary bike riding. Stationary bike riding was much more effective than swimming or rowing, with some overall weight lifting. Riding helps, but tends to beat me up.
nicksonfirst
8/29/2016 3:33pm
Running a 6 minute mile is awesome, but only good for moto if your moto's are 6 minutes.

Figure out how long your moto's tend to be and just run em' out. Push hard at the end. Pretend 2nd place is right on you and you need the fitness to win.

I like the idea of throwing an ipad on a treadmill and running while watching a national. Makes time go by quick and gives you a little motivation.
CamP
8/29/2016 3:41pm
CamP wrote:
I don't get tired in just 4 laps, I run 2 classes and usually dont get tired until the final moto so its more of i...
I don't get tired in just 4 laps, I run 2 classes and usually dont get tired until the final moto so its more of i get tired after 16 laps. Also, i believe my problem is my form on the bike and not breathing properly. Just need to practice.
There is no replacement for seat time.
Joko
Fantasy
190th
8/29/2016 3:51pm
CamP wrote:
I don't get tired in just 4 laps, I run 2 classes and usually dont get tired until the final moto so its more of i...
CamP wrote:
There is no replacement for seat time.
True, but must condition all other muscles over riding demands to withstand the load of riding and prevent injury. I agree watching nationals and go pro footage really helps pump up the intensity when training. Riding & racing is easy compared to training sessions. I think the
Pro's echo this thought too, race day is time to shine, not condition.
8/29/2016 4:01pm
Just don't sit when you cycle.
It makes you sit on your dirt bike.
Easiest way? get a bicycle with no seat / a bmx
Stand and ride and do distance!
If you've got the means? Stand up jet ski
Dont be a fag in tights on a lance cycle! What kind of self respecting dirt biker would wear tights? mtb? I draw the line at DH - again no sitting ! Train in attack mode! Ride & race in attack mode!
8/29/2016 4:16pm
How old (young) are you?
It is possible that you are overtraining. 20 miles a day on a MTB is a lot, combined with running and P90x it's a real lot. Also, if you're fine for 3 four lap motos and getting tired in the 4th it seems your not recovering well. Let's face it 4 lap motos are very short in the MX world. Are you still growing?, if so that would make it even worse. I'd say back it off a bit and make sure you get plenty of sleep. See a sports nutritionist if it doesn't get better.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
8/29/2016 4:27pm
How old (young) are you?
It is possible that you are overtraining. 20 miles a day on a MTB is a lot, combined with running and P90x it's a real lot...
It is possible that you are overtraining. 20 miles a day on a MTB is a lot, combined with running and P90x it's a real lot. Also, if you're fine for 3 four lap motos and getting tired in the 4th it seems your not recovering well. Let's face it 4 lap motos are very short in the MX world. Are you still growing?, if so that would make it even worse. I'd say back it off a bit and make sure you get plenty of sleep. See a sports nutritionist if it doesn't get better.
I agree, don't go crazy all in off the bat. you need to build a base and eat well. Like you said Noah, maybe its your form, breathing or tightness getting you.

maybe build your core muscles which can help you hold onto the bike better with your legs...
Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1177th
8/29/2016 4:51pm
CamP wrote:
Sweet! I'm off to build me a bonfire!! Wink

If your form and/or technique is bad, that will tire you out, slow you down and increase the likelihood of injury from crashes.
8/29/2016 5:06pm Edited Date/Time 8/29/2016 5:08pm
Some okay advice in here, and some bad advice. Have any of you competed in any sport at a high level? Like, Division 1 team sports, or were a part of some serious sports teams that traveled all over the place? I was at my absolute physical prime around the age of 15-21 and competed at a super high level in soccer... I'm talking i was on the road to be a professional and was on an olympic development team and played D1 in college. 15 is not too young. Stop putting the kid down.

I'm no personal trainer or physical therapist, but i've been through tons and tons and tons of grueling endurance training in my younger years and just know what works for me, so take this however you want.

It sounds like you are doing some good things. In order to improve overall endurance and strength, you need to work hard and SMART, eat right, and allow your body to recover properly in between workouts. All 3 of these things are EQUALLY as important as each other.

Cycling, in my personal experience, has greatly improved my fitness on the motocross bike, but that's only because i used a heart rate monitor and trained on the bike at the same intensity my body was being stressed while on the dirtbike. Actually the best thing to do is train right below the point your body starts producing lactic acid, and over time that point will increase. If you train all the time and produce lactic acid, you won't improve at the same rate. (look up lactic acid threshold tests on youtube). Right before i tore my ACL and Meniscus in a bad crash, i was commuting 8 miles to work on a road bike (16 miles round trip) 3-4 days per week, and depending if i was riding on the weekend i would do either 1 or 2 long 20-30 mile bike rides at high intensity. 20 miles would take me just over an hour. If you are doing that every day, you may in fact be over training. Even the pro's don't do 20 mile bike rides every day. Cycling alone allowed me to las double the time on the motocross bike before getting tired. I went from being dead after 10 minutes of riding to being able to pump out over 20 minute motos at a decent pace. But cycling isn't the only answer.

Cycling only works your legs out and improves your cardio. You need to work out all the little upper body muscles that you use while riding. So, in my experience, train in the gym or cross-train just like you would be riding. Swimming was great, but only if you can swim consistently for the length of time it would take you to do a moto. Indoor rowing is fantastic, especially if you can take an old set of motocross bars and attach it to the machine. You'll notice that most professional motocross riders are not big chested and very bulky, but what you will notice is most have really strong back muscles. You pull on your handlebars a lot while riding, and back muscles and key for that.

You need to EAT A LOT. Seriously, a ton. It will suck to force food into your mouth all day. I was eating nearly 6000 calories a day when i was hardcore in training back in college. Michael Phelps claims to eat 10,000-12,000 calories a day when he's in the core of his training. There are plenty of calorie and macro counting applications out there, but i used MyFitnessPal.
8/29/2016 5:13pm
My post got cut off....

REST. This doesn't mean being an immobile potato, but you do need to give your body time to repair and recover after you beat the hell out of it. You should do light workouts as rest days... like go for an easy bike right, or swim light a couple of laps, anything to get the blood flowing in your muscles so that they can receive essential nutrients and pump out the waste.

Lastly, you need to ride a lot. There is no better advice. Train for longer motos than you actually will be doing. Dont just go out on practice days and rip 4 lap motos. Stay out on the track for 20-30 minutes at a time and push through it.

I wrote a lot more but don't feel like writing it again.
mtl
8/29/2016 5:16pm
Concept 2 Rowing Machine.

Try getting to 1min 57sec average per 500m for 15 min on resistance setting 7.

Should do about 3,870meters in 15 min. Get there and you will get stronger, have cardio and get faster on the bike.

P.S. Other posters are right, your age will make it hard to be a pro that succeeds.

Post a reply to: Keeping in shape for motocross

The Latest