Keeping It Low w/o Scrubbing

Related:
Create New Tag

8/24/2020 11:27 AM

Granted it's BMX so there's no suspension to deal with, but wow!

I can't scrub for anything, but I am tall so I've always just used my height to stay as low as possible. This takes it to a completely different level.

|

Twitter: @bayodome
Instagram: @bayodome

8/24/2020 2:37 PM

Damn!!! He looked like he was gonna come up waaaay short till he did that pump thing in the air...

|

8/24/2020 2:44 PM

Pretty rad. I feel like that is basically the technique that McGrath did. He didn't really scrub but he still was able to keep the bike low.

Randomly, I can remember being at a local practice night years ago(the old Switchback layout under the lights, for PA ppl) and going through the 6 pack by the bleachers. Hepler was there on his YZ250 and he passed me over the middle double and my wheels were like where his helmet was. He didn't tilt the bike to scrub but just used his lower body to keep the bike moving forward and not rainbowing as much as I was. Pretty cool.

|

8/24/2020 2:48 PM

Amazing skills. FWIW, his pace also absolutely smoked that truck in the background

|

8/24/2020 2:49 PM

Holy cow that makes me feel old. I can't even manual (BMX) anymore without either doing nothing, or ending up on my ass.

That is amazing.. right up there with the other Lapucci vid recently shared. I am not sure what took more skill/balls. Thank you for sharing cool

|

8/24/2020 2:50 PM

It’s called speed jumping. Basically pushing the front through the jump face and using your speed to carry you through.

McGrath was great at it.

|

8/24/2020 2:55 PM

UpTiTe wrote:

It’s called speed jumping. Basically pushing the front through the jump face and using your speed to carry you through.

...more

But clearly this slow-motion shows that if the rider is rhythmically skilled enough, the jump face is not touched at all

|

8/24/2020 3:12 PM

Physics just took its shirt off

|

"A link is only as long as your longest strong chain"

8/24/2020 3:21 PM

I can stay low...I haven't found a double yet that I couldn't turn into two singles.

|

8/24/2020 3:36 PM

Thats

Photo

|

8/24/2020 5:46 PM

Justin Buckelew was very good at this before the scrub was popular. He teaches this to his students as well.

|

8/24/2020 6:17 PM

Another killer technique for staying low in BMX circles from your Olympic Champ:

View this post on Instagram

What lip?

A post shared by Connor Fields (@connorfields11) on

|

8/24/2020 6:42 PM

Wow those riders are Great. I would rather see the pro Mx guys do that. I think some of the Mx scrubs, are over kill on some jumps. Disrupts chassis too much,

|

8/24/2020 6:47 PM

profeshenal125 wrote:

Wow those riders are Great. I would rather see the pro Mx guys do that. I think some of the Mx scrubs, are over kill on some ...more

How so amigo?

|

8/24/2020 7:29 PM

We used to call absorbing.. which of course turned into 'zorb' or 'zorbing' haha
''Yeah man you can hit it flat out but you'll have to zorb it pretty hard"

|

why am I reading this? ..... Oh christ, now I'm posting...... shiiiiiiiit!!

8/27/2020 5:04 PM

The technique is basically the opposite of seat bouncing. The idea is that at the instant you leave the jump, you want the trajectory of your body to be as horizontal as possible. The CofM path of the bike and rider together is the weighted vector addition of each of their paths. So you manipulate your body to create a horizontal vector for it. This much harder to do on the bike, because it weighs so much more. But still a great illustration of the physics.

|

8/27/2020 5:22 PM

Oh crap, don't go there with the physics. Apparently there is no such thing as a seat bounce.

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

8/27/2020 5:47 PM

profeshenal125 wrote:

Wow those riders are Great. I would rather see the pro Mx guys do that. I think some of the Mx scrubs, are over kill on some ...more

Look out guys we got a fucking expert here

|

8/27/2020 6:20 PM

Stew was good at this also...watched him do it almost every lap on the triple at the 2013? Or so Seattle sx just like MC.

|

8/27/2020 6:21 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/27/2020 6:22 PM

StartedTooLate wrote:

The technique is basically the opposite of seat bouncing. The idea is that at the instant you leave the jump, you want the ...more

What if you weigh more than the bike??
Does that change anything?

Might be a dumb question but I’m not exactly the sharpest tool..

|

8/27/2020 6:33 PM

I had a friend who jumped bmx bike. He was pretty good, but amazing at dropping front so deep between jumps, like what? Also, Pourcel was great at keeping bike so low, but not necessarily 'whipping' it flat to do so.

|

8/27/2020 7:03 PM

this was the riding upgrade that made MC the king of supercross.....
the fastest way form A to B is a straigth line, so the lower you jump, the fastest you get from the face to the landing of the jump, and the fastest you can put the power back to the ground.....
in the face of a jump the suspension compresses by gravity, if the rider can take his weight off the pegs at the exact time before take off, the suspension will loose some compression, there for the rebound at take off will be a lot less, not sending the bike so high, the spring efect !!!!!
MC understood well the fisics involved on jumping a moto from his bmx background, he mastered it and it gave him a huge advantage in supercross where it is all about jumps, it was usual to see MC look up when passing riders in the air...
the bubba scrub is the 2.0 upgrade on jumping low.....

|

8/27/2020 7:39 PM

jemcee wrote:

We used to call absorbing.. which of course turned into 'zorb' or 'zorbing' haha
''Yeah man you can hit it flat out but ...more

Heres the new school zorbing. Hahaha

|

8/27/2020 8:10 PM

Roczen was really good at this on the RMZ. I can’t remember what outdoor round it was

|

8/27/2020 8:34 PM

jemcee wrote:

''Yeah man you can hit it flat out but ...more

Dirtydeeds wrote:

Heres the new school zorbing. Hahaha

Haha was gonna say that looks like fun until I saw that girl get plowed at about 40 secs in haha

(Yes I know that 'plowed' could mean something different but when you see it you know it's the only word that fits properly haha)

|

why am I reading this? ..... Oh christ, now I'm posting...... shiiiiiiiit!!

8/27/2020 8:38 PM

GoggleFiend904 wrote:

Roczen was really good at this on the RMZ. I can’t remember what outdoor round it was

Musquin on the 250f at vegas supercross one year was somethin else to watch too. Dude was just in sync with the bike and the track. Looked very BMX style.

|

8/27/2020 10:05 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/27/2020 10:05 PM

Almost every rider at B or higher level uses the McGrath style jump face soak up still all throughout their riding. The guys in the 90s paired it with the slight gyro effect which eventually lead to Bubba inventing the scrub.

Scrubs are totally more effective when able to be used but not every jump calls for an aggressive scrub hence why some pros scrub more often or less often depending on the rider, terrain, and more.

But make no mistake, if you hit a jump side by side with a faster rider and neither of you scrub, they are still going to be staying lower, even in straight lines. Soaking up the suspension to stay low is still an extremely effective tool for your arsenal.

|

8/27/2020 11:04 PM

profeshenal125 wrote:

zehn wrote:

Look out guys we got a fucking expert here

To be fair, though, I see a lot of Instagram videos of “scrubs” where the bike doesn’t start to get laid over until just after the wheels have left the ground, so the scrub was completely useless. Just looks cool to have the handlebars a few inches from the crest of the jump face. Usually these videos are just someone pre-jumping an acceleration bump on the face and they could’ve kept the bike upright and gone exactly the same speed while saving energy.

|

8/28/2020 1:25 AM

Same jump...

View this post on Instagram

#humpdayvibes @niclong64 approved

A post shared by Alex Cazares (@alexcazares_) on

|

8/28/2020 2:53 AM

Good example at 15:49

|