Keep or get rid of 2016 FC250

Related:
Create New Tag

11/25/2017 7:47 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/25/2017 7:47 PM

Here's my issue. I own a 2016 FC250 and I bought it brand new. It has 32 hours on it. I am worried about the notorious transmission issues, I have owned it over a year so I assume my coverage will be minimal if it fails. Also I race the A(pro in some places) class so at 32 hours I'd say my bike is due for a top end. But I don't really want to do that because once I open up the stock motor there will be the argument of "it was me who could've messed things up and caused the failure or issue".

So my options are trade it in for a 2017, this would involve me putting my new stock parts on, so I wouldn't lose any of my aftermarket parts I've put on, but it would cost me 3,200$ plus my bike for the new bike, which actually is still a pretty good deal.

Option 2 would be to buy a new 2017 motor which I found a good deal on for around 2,800 and drop that in, which I'm not sure if will work but if it did I would have the new motor and could sell my old one for a decent chunk of money because as of right now it has no issues.

Option 3 would be just to rebuild the top end and run it and just hope the tranny doesn't fail. I'm just worried if it does fail then I'm forced to buy tranny parts plus cases for the new parts to work in because I know those have updated part numbers along with all the other parts. And then I still have a motor that's had the case split a couple times (first time because of crank recall).

Do I have other options? I can afford to trade up but just making sure I'm not throwing my money at the wrong decision. I am wanting to stay with husqvarna so other bike brands aren't an option. Thanks for the help in advance!

|

11/25/2017 7:49 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/25/2017 7:50 PM

Just go riding... Jesus you sound like an old hen at a bridge marathon

|

11/25/2017 7:59 PM

BobbyM wrote:

Trying to make the smart move before my bike shits it's gear out

|

11/25/2017 8:04 PM

Spend the 200 and replace the top end. Run it.

If she pops (which is unlikely) then drop a new motor in.

|

11/25/2017 8:15 PM

Your bike is over a year old...
32 hours of A pace racing...
Somehow you are going to have a conversation with a warranty department...I doubt it.

|

2019 KTM 350 XCF
Single Track Warrior

11/25/2017 8:17 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/25/2017 8:19 PM

Deal Brothers Trailers wrote:

Somehow you are going to have a conversation with a warranty department...I doubt it.

Yea, not thinking they're gonna help out. Lol

|

11/25/2017 8:18 PM

bodean123 wrote:

I try to think that way too but 4 of my buddies have went bad and I'm not trying to join that club

|

11/25/2017 8:22 PM

bodean123 wrote:

Reekers wrote:

I try to think that way too but 4 of my buddies have went bad and I'm not trying to join that club

That sounds like bullshit to me.

|

2019 KTM 350 XCF
Single Track Warrior

11/25/2017 8:41 PM

BobbyM wrote:

x2

|

11/25/2017 8:44 PM

bodean123 wrote:

Reekers wrote:

Also gona second this. Bullshit.
You're a big boy I'd hope you can weigh the obvious pros and cons and make a choice for yourself. I think you're exaggerating the transmission issue. Just ride the damn bike or sell it and get something else.

Also noticing now you only have 6 posts and considering how ridiculous this thread is I'm thinking troll. And a lame job at it too.

|

11/25/2017 8:47 PM

bodean123 wrote:

Reekers wrote:

Why would I lie about that? Photo

|

11/25/2017 8:48 PM

Reekers wrote:

305FC250 wrote:

Also gona second this. Bullshit.
You're a big boy I'd hope you can weigh the obvious pros and cons and make a choice for yourself. I think you're exaggerating the transmission issue. Just ride the damn bike or sell it and get something else.

Also noticing now you only have 6 posts and considering how ridiculous this thread is I'm thinking troll. And a lame job at it too.

I made this account and checked out this website because of this issue

|

11/25/2017 9:02 PM

If you are worried about the tranny going after 32 hours then why the hell would you want to stay with that brand

|

11/25/2017 9:08 PM

Talk to your local dealer and see if KTM will fix it, it's a known issue at this point and I'm sure they would much rather pay a days labor and a couple parts than pay for an entire grenaded bottom end.

|

2019 TX300
'10 200 XC-w

11/25/2017 9:16 PM

I've never heard of anyone who races that hasn't done a top end. Crazy. You obviously have money, so why not just use it wisely and rebuild your current bike? Sounds like your being a little unrealistic. Its stupid to think that you won't have to do these things, even if you buy a new bike.

However, if you have the money for a new bike, then do a top end and keep it. Buy the new bike and use this one for a practice bike.

|

11/25/2017 9:25 PM

I own a 2016 FC250 also. The first 60 hours were ridden by a local A rider. The next 32 hours were ridden by myself, a mid pack B rider. I took apart the top end to check things out at that point. The valves were perfectly in the middle of spec, and hadn't been shimmed since new. I ordered a piston kit for it also because at 92 hours I figured it was well over due. The piston ring gap was exactly the same as the new OEM kit I took out of the box... pretty incredible for a 92 hour 250f that had been revved out it's entire life. At this point, I tore it down to the bare frame, had a few parts powdercoated as the white frame was showing some yellowing. Also went through every bearing and only had to replace the swingarm bearings. I rode it another 4 hours and broke my back racing at that point from a crash that started with headshake down a high speed straightaway. I am on the fence of selling mine and picking up a 17+ with the AER forks as they are much better, and would be nice to have a piece of mind knowing I won't get random 4CS headshake and everything else..
But anyways, I hope this helped. Ride on! Photo

|

11/25/2017 9:38 PM

New top end at 32 hours? Sheesh my buddy races pro nats (top 20 at some rounds) and he’s got 100+ on his Yamaha without a dime into it and over 100 on most of his Honda’s. But I guess some people like doing it at 40 hours

|

11/25/2017 10:05 PM

burn1986 wrote:

I've never heard of anyone who races that hasn't done a top end. Crazy. You obviously have money, so why not just use it wisely and rebuild your current bike? Sounds like your being a little unrealistic. Its stupid to think that you won't have to do these things, even if you buy a new bike.

However, if you have the money for a new bike, then do a top end and keep it. Buy the new bike and use this one for a practice bike.

If I rebuild it and by the updated tranny parts I'd also need to buy be updated bearings, cases, plus full gasket kit and top end so I'd be around 2500 deep at that point also

|

11/25/2017 10:07 PM

shaunbruce827 wrote:

I own a 2016 FC250 also. The first 60 hours were ridden by a local A rider. The next 32 hours were ridden by myself, a mid pack B rider. I took apart the top end to check things out at that point. The valves were perfectly in the middle of spec, and hadn't been shimmed since new. I ordered a piston kit for it also because at 92 hours I figured it was well over due. The piston ring gap was exactly the same as the new OEM kit I took out of the box... pretty incredible for a 92 hour 250f that had been revved out it's entire life. At this point, I tore it down to the bare frame, had a few parts powdercoated as the white frame was showing some yellowing. Also went through every bearing and only had to replace the swingarm bearings. I rode it another 4 hours and broke my back racing at that point from a crash that started with headshake down a high speed straightaway. I am on the fence of selling mine and picking up a 17+ with the AER forks as they are much better, and would be nice to have a piece of mind knowing I won't get random 4CS headshake and everything else..
But anyways, I hope this helped. Ride on! Photo

Thanks for reply! Glad to see you've had no issues. I have a 2017 450 and they have the new air fork compared to my 2016 250, and they are way better stock vs. stock. But I did put the race tech gold valve and the extra clickers and valves they make so you can have adjustments on the bottom on your forks and man now they're great! Think it ran me around 500$ for parts then there's the labor, so if your only issue is forks I'd definitely give race techs parts a shot!

|

11/25/2017 10:40 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/25/2017 10:42 PM

lol my 2013 250sx has about 200 hours on original top end, never bled the clutch yet either lol Nov B XC/Enduro rider. I bought it used but had veryveryvery low hours on it from a CMRC rider that def rode it harder than me.

I dont know what the tranny issues are specifically but mine is okay. I do want to get everything refreshed soon though but I do beat the piss out of it when i can

|

11/25/2017 11:08 PM

Hcallz5 wrote:

Talk to your local dealer and see if KTM will fix it, it's a known issue at this point and I'm sure they would much rather pay a days labor and a couple parts than pay for an entire grenaded bottom end.

this .i know of someone who did 3 gearboxes in 6 months on a 16 , ktm covered all them ,. untill the updated parts . other people had no issues but alot had , also alot still have with 17 s too.

|

11/26/2017 12:54 AM

Reekers wrote:

Here's my issue. I own a 2016 FC250 and I bought it brand new. It has 32 hours on it. I am worried about the notorious transmission issues, I have owned it over a year so I assume my coverage will be minimal if it fails. Also I race the A(pro in some places) class so at 32 hours I'd say my bike is due for a top end. But I don't really want to do that because once I open up the stock motor there will be the argument of "it was me who could've messed things up and caused the failure or issue".

So my options are trade it in for a 2017, this would involve me putting my new stock parts on, so I wouldn't lose any of my aftermarket parts I've put on, but it would cost me 3,200$ plus my bike for the new bike, which actually is still a pretty good deal.

Option 2 would be to buy a new 2017 motor which I found a good deal on for around 2,800 and drop that in, which I'm not sure if will work but if it did I would have the new motor and could sell my old one for a decent chunk of money because as of right now it has no issues.

Option 3 would be just to rebuild the top end and run it and just hope the tranny doesn't fail. I'm just worried if it does fail then I'm forced to buy tranny parts plus cases for the new parts to work in because I know those have updated part numbers along with all the other parts. And then I still have a motor that's had the case split a couple times (first time because of crank recall).

Do I have other options? I can afford to trade up but just making sure I'm not throwing my money at the wrong decision. I am wanting to stay with husqvarna so other bike brands aren't an option. Thanks for the help in advance!

You're not wrong to be worried about the transmission in a 16 regardless of what anyone says they have a well know issue of exploding third gear. It happens more often when the rider lands with the throttle wide open constantly. The band aid fix from ktm/husky is too put the updated lighter clutch springs in so that the clutch will slip on high rpm landings and take stress off the tranny. If you want to fix it right you can easily have your motor rebuilt for around $1000. 2018 3rd gear, updated bearings and updated springs runs roughly at $300. Full motor rebuild labor is $450 (at least that's what I charge) and while you're at it a piston kit with gaskets is $300 from husky. There are updated cases but they arent completely necessary, the cases are just thicker material at the shift shaft stopper to keep it from breaking off a peice of the case. I've put together motors after the case has broken and had no issues even after 100+ hours on them. Brand new motor fixed correctly for less than $1000 and trust me it's worth it. The tranny will go eventually, I've fixed 17 of them since the 2015.5 250SXF came out.

|

11/26/2017 1:27 AM

If you are really worried about your tranny and willing to spend $2800.

I would send the engine to some in California like Twisted Devolopment. Have them do your top end, replace the gears that have been breaking as well as micro-polish your tranny and other engine parts. Your engine will be better than a 2017 stock engine and most likely cost less.

|

11/26/2017 1:29 AM

Reekers wrote:

VPEracing wrote:

You're not wrong to be worried about the transmission in a 16 regardless of what anyone says they have a well know issue of exploding third gear. It happens more often when the rider lands with the throttle wide open constantly. The band aid fix from ktm/husky is too put the updated lighter clutch springs in so that the clutch will slip on high rpm landings and take stress off the tranny. If you want to fix it right you can easily have your motor rebuilt for around $1000. 2018 3rd gear, updated bearings and updated springs runs roughly at $300. Full motor rebuild labor is $450 (at least that's what I charge) and while you're at it a piston kit with gaskets is $300 from husky. There are updated cases but they arent completely necessary, the cases are just thicker material at the shift shaft stopper to keep it from breaking off a peice of the case. I've put together motors after the case has broken and had no issues even after 100+ hours on them. Brand new motor fixed correctly for less than $1000 and trust me it's worth it. The tranny will go eventually, I've fixed 17 of them since the 2015.5 250SXF came out.

Hinson has a cush drive clutch for the 250s like the 450s have. There's rubber dampers that take harsh hit off the tranny. It's not on their site, but call them. I've ran mine for 35 hours and love it over the stock feel.

|

11/26/2017 8:03 AM

Reekers wrote:

VPEracing wrote:

Thanks for the response! If you want go ahead and email me a quote on what it'd cost for you to do it, or atleast where I could get the correct parts from! Thanks for your time! Ktm0785@hotmail.com

|

11/26/2017 8:10 AM

CarlinoJoeVideo wrote:

Hinson has a cush drive clutch for the 250s like the 450s have. There's rubber dampers that take harsh hit off the tranny. It's not on their site, but call them. I've ran mine for 35 hours and love it over the stock feel.

How much does that run $ wise? Thanks

|

11/26/2017 8:36 AM

Dude, IF the transmission fails KTM/Husky will replace it for free in 9/10 cases. Keep riding the bike. Change the piston after 50 hours.

|

11/26/2017 10:56 AM

If you’re not racing indoors hitting stadium whoops you’re probably fine.

If they do break, they will usually cover the parts for free. Before 6 months they do parts and labor. Pretty awesome if you ask me.

What I would do is replace the top end and pull off the primary cover and remove the 8mm head bolt that holds the spring loaded gear selector arm (no clue what to actually call it). Put some red loctite on that sucker and be careful not to overtighten it (4.4 ft. Lbs). Mine backed out after 18 hours, and the dealer I visit said it’s not uncommon. It didn’t cause any damage, just made the bike jump from gear to gear and hit neutral.

|

11/26/2017 12:03 PM

^^^^ Exactly!!! They most likely won't help you period!!! Do the top end or just trade the thing if you just want the newest bike

|

11/26/2017 12:32 PM

Bramlett321 wrote:

^^^^ Exactly!!! They most likely won't help you period!!! Do the top end or just trade the thing if you just want the newest bike

I done warranty on 3 year old bikes and they have covered it . if it's a known problem they will cover it.

|