Keefer Back Peddling on KTM 450

Related:
Create New Tag

2/21/2017 7:14 AM

He is a now fan Judging by his comments on PulpMx.

Maybe the Vital 450 Shootout was the better of the two?

His mag ranked the YZ450 first when most others had it third/fourth/fifth...

|

2/21/2017 7:27 AM

Photo
|

2/21/2017 7:36 AM

I dont think he rode very much or at all for the 450 shootout because he was still recovering from a concussion.

|

2/21/2017 7:40 AM

Yeah he said that this is the first time he has rode one for a longer period of time because of the crash he had.

|

Current fleet of two wheeled vehicles:
- Yamaha YZ450F 2020
- Suzuki GSX-R 600 K7 track spec
- Canyon Sender CF 8.0 2018 Downhill
- White GX Pro 20 Gravel

2/21/2017 7:42 AM

I was surprised too when he said that he really liked the ktm factory edition. I agree with Early, i dont think he got alot of seat time in the shootout with his injury. Because the factory edition and stock 450 isnt that much different compaired to past years version

|

2/21/2017 8:03 AM

Look it's all opinion based right? And everyone is entitled to that opinion but when Keefer (and Steve) basically called ML an idiot for his shoot out results and that everyone in the world knows the YZ is heads and tails better I lost a lot of respect for him and any perceived impartiality.

Now, with everyones shoot out published Dirtrider looks like they are clueless.

Keefer seems like a pretty good dude who anyone would love to have as a friend but I don't value his testing expertise like I used to.

|

Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous. Checkout; ABetterStockMarket.com

2/21/2017 8:05 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/21/2017 8:37 AM

moto0852 wrote:

Look it's all opinion based right? And everyone is entitled to that opinion but when Keefer (and Steve) basically called ML an ...more

Yeah well i didn't want to bring up that. But if we look at the shootout results Dirt Rider stands out in a big way when it comes to the 450 winner. It's a bigger anomaly compared to the Vital 250 results. Although this is a bit off topic.

But with that said, i'm on board with Ping. Shootouts are stupid these days. The dialed in concept that Ping/Racer X has is better in my opinion. I also like the garage in stock videos, although the projects are getting a bit too similar, especially the 2 strokes. It's time for some of the 2016/17 KTM/Husky 2 strokes in my opinion since they are actually brand new.

|

- Yamaha YZ450F 2020
- White GX Pro 20 Gravel

2/21/2017 8:13 AM

moto0852 wrote:

Look it's all opinion based right? And everyone is entitled to that opinion but when Keefer (and Steve) basically called ML an ...more

Motofinne wrote:

Yeah well i didn't want to bring up that. But if we look at the shootout results Dirt Rider stands out in a big way when it ...more

Agree...I think Pings point on shoot outs is valid... for now. It may change.

In the 80's there was so much change (dual to single shock, air to water cooling, rising rate changes, etc.) that some bikes clearly were better than others and a shoot out helped you spend you money wisely.

In the 90's-00's same thing to a lesser extent

00's-08 It started to become more what you preferred rather than what was better

Today? Man, after the new RM comes out (assuming its good) I don't think you can go wrong with any brand.

|

Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous. Checkout; ABetterStockMarket.com

2/21/2017 8:14 AM

I've never heard him say anything bad about the KTM. He also had nothing to do with the 450 shootout... he was on the mend from a crash during practice at the vet nationals.

|

2/21/2017 8:18 AM

PJ205 wrote:

I've never heard him say anything bad about the KTM. He also had nothing to do with the 450 shootout... he was on the mend ...more

His method of saying something bad about the KTM was to say the YZ was better in most every aspect and yes...he wasnt involved much with the shootout because of his injury...yet he still stated (without having the seat time on all bikes) that "The YZ is just the best and if anyone thinks otherwise there are just plain wrong"

|

2/21/2017 8:23 AM

So if I were to say that I like the color red then that automatically means that I think blue is terrible? What does his opinion about the Yamaha have to do with the outcome of the 450 shootout that he wasn't part of? Faulty logic.

|

2/21/2017 8:34 AM

It's backpedaling to say that a new bike with settings you've never ridden before is better than the old bike?

Here are his instagram comments from the other day...

kkeefer120 Well..... Rode the 2017.5 KTM FE 450 today. I have to say I'm really impressed and somewhat shocked on how well this machine works. KTM didn't do much (some suspension changes, slip on muffler, etc.), but what they did do, they did well. I thought the standard 2017 KTM 450 SX-F was pretty good, but it took me a little while to find a happy setting to where I felt comfy on it. On the FE I got comfy right away! I'm a very transparent person/test rider and will have to give credit where credit is due. This is a great bike. Kudos to the guys in the KTM R&D department for making a very balanced chassis, fast, yet controllable engine character, that lets the rider go where he or she wants to on the track. Riding bikes like this makes typing the article very easy and fun to do.

|

2/21/2017 8:40 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/21/2017 9:18 AM

Keefers comments makes sense. The 2017 FE has the third version of the AER fork. R&D over a longer(in this case only a few years) period makes a huge difference. Just look at the KYB SSS fork. The TMs have that fork but they aren't allowed to use the same settings that Yamaha have developed over 10 years.

|

- Yamaha YZ450F 2020
- White GX Pro 20 Gravel

2/21/2017 9:12 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/21/2017 9:16 AM

PJ205 wrote:

So if I were to say that I like the color red then that automatically means that I think blue is terrible? What does his ...more

You miss understood. The proper analogy would be "I like red...red is the best color. If you like another color better then red you are wrong."

Get it now?

denigration via inference

|

2/21/2017 9:13 AM

The whole thing with Keefer and Michael was about the 250 shootout, I think some of you guys are confused about this.

No?

|

Mathis is getting weeded out of the pro pits one team at a time he and his almighty will be outsiders soon.

2/21/2017 9:18 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/21/2017 9:20 AM

Matthes wrote:

The whole thing with Keefer and Michael was about the 250 shootout, I think some of you guys are confused about this.

No?

Steve that was just one example. Dirtrider needs to step it up with timed laps, data collection, dynos and litpro data if they want any credibility against the other publications.

Keefer's new motto should be "Worry less about LitKits and more about Litpro" lol

|

2/21/2017 9:23 AM

Motofinne wrote:

Keefers comments makes sense. The 2017 FE has the third version of the AER fork. R&D over a longer(in this case only a few ...more

On a side note to your comment, I have a 17 KTM 300XC with the 48 AER forks...I'm really curious what suspension company is going to offer the upgrades that the 17.5 F.E. comes with that seem to be much better.

|

2/21/2017 9:25 AM

Motofinne wrote:

Keefers comments makes sense. The 2017 FE has the third version of the AER fork. R&D over a longer(in this case only a few ...more

moto0852 wrote:

On a side note to your comment, I have a 17 KTM 300XC with the 48 AER forks...I'm really curious what suspension company is ...more

Well it's just a new piston, or am i wrong?

I think you can order the new piston from a WP or KTM dealer?

|

- Yamaha YZ450F 2020
- White GX Pro 20 Gravel

2/21/2017 9:25 AM

moto0852 wrote:

You miss understood. The proper analogy would be "I like red...red is the best color. If you like another color better then ...more

Oh I understand you completely, it's just that you're wrong.

|

2/21/2017 9:59 AM

Matthes wrote:

No?

This thread is all about retribution for dishonoring Michael. grin grin grin

|

2/21/2017 10:00 AM

Matthes wrote:

No?

twotwosix wrote:

This thread is all about retribution for dishonoring Michael. grin grin grin

Photo

|

- Yamaha YZ450F 2020
- White GX Pro 20 Gravel

2/21/2017 10:07 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/21/2017 10:10 AM

Dinosaur Media wrote:

He is a now fan Judging by his comments on PulpMx.

Maybe the Vital 450 Shootout was the better of the two?

His mag ranked ...more

If you have a few hours on a Yamaha, and you figure out how to move around on it and you learn how well it turns...
And you find the "Balance" (front to rear)...that is a big deal on the YZF...

Take the time to get those things right for you and...combined with the "Turbo-Diesel" power? It's an EXCELLENT bike. And, let's remember, it's got suspension that's REALLY GOOD right out of the box.

I think those are the reasons that Keefer rates the Yamaha like he does. When it comes to their 250F...it is REALLY EASY to make the Yamaha competitive at the Pro level.

|

Nobody ever told me, I found out for myself. You've got to believe in foolish miracles. It's not how you play the game, it's if you win or lose. You can choose. Don't confuse. Win or lose. It's up to you!

2/21/2017 10:14 AM

There is difference in 16fe, 17 and 17fe on the AER setup and Shock, that makes a difference. If revalve/rebuild anyway then it does not matter

|

2/21/2017 10:16 AM

PJ205 wrote:

So if I were to say that I like the color red then that automatically means that I think blue is terrible? What does his ...more

moto0852 wrote:

You miss understood. The proper analogy would be "I like red...red is the best color. If you like another color better then ...more

PJ205 wrote:

Oh I understand you completely, it's just that you're wrong.

Oh the irony! That's exactly what Keefer said to everyone! You are funny my friend.

|

2/21/2017 10:35 AM

Motofinne wrote: Photo

Rise my followers...rise and lash out upon those that disagree with my teachings! devil devil devil

I had to say that laughing

|

2/21/2017 11:04 AM

Photo

|

2/21/2017 11:15 AM

So after spending some hours on a 17 KTM he felt right at home on the 17'5 KTM. Shocking.

|

2/21/2017 11:25 AM

Sooo.....what this means is , him and Matthes aren't joined at the hip?

|

And there goes Jeffro. One of God's own prototypes. A super high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Ezza is Da man!

Pimpin' Ho's , Rollin' fatty's......drinkin' beers , beers , beers!! ~ Ja

2/21/2017 11:55 AM

Must be a slow news day if this is what you people are worried about. It's an opinion on a couple bikes. Relax.

|

2/21/2017 11:58 AM

It sounds like Keefer didn't get to ride the 2017 much because of his concussion and is now giving the bike a fair shot is how I took it. But the 17 has been out for a long time also...

|