Kawasaki test track in SoCal

Mr. CrossUp
Edited Date/Time 5/8/2020 2:07pm
Something is coming up soon. The Kawasaki test track next to 15 freeway in Corona is prepped and ready to ride. It has been overgrown with weeds since early March. Weeds are gone and track looks like it's been rebuilt.
|
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
5/4/2020 10:21pm
Something is coming up soon. The Kawasaki test track next to 15 freeway in Corona is prepped and ready to ride. It has been overgrown with...
Something is coming up soon. The Kawasaki test track next to 15 freeway in Corona is prepped and ready to ride. It has been overgrown with weeds since early March. Weeds are gone and track looks like it's been rebuilt.
Just saw AC posted about being back in his “Toyota of Redlands” truck. Guessing he just got back to the West Coast to start prepping.
aeffertz
5/5/2020 7:30am
Something is coming up soon. The Kawasaki test track next to 15 freeway in Corona is prepped and ready to ride. It has been overgrown with...
Yeah, the second half of the SX season. Grinning

The Shop

Mr. CrossUp
5/5/2020 5:48pm
aeffertz wrote:
When does it start?
5/5/2020 5:57pm
Per AC on Pulp they are doing testing with Kawasaki.

Add in the truck and track prep and we have our answer.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
5/5/2020 6:22pm
The PC crew was out at their SX track next to Glen Helen today also. Ivan was riding a bit on the outdoor track. I guess they need to have all the bases covered depending on what happens in the next few weeks.
Mr. CrossUp
5/6/2020 8:02am
Ivan is probably getting ready for that vet race thing next week.
aeffertz
5/6/2020 8:38am Edited Date/Time 5/6/2020 8:38am
aeffertz wrote:
When does it start?
The riders were told the end of this month on Monday.
Mr. CrossUp
5/6/2020 11:31am
I wonder if Monster energy supercross is going to build tracks in stadiums for the last few rounds of supercross. Lots of money to build and tear down. I dont think people can pay and enter to watch the racing.
Mr. Afterbar
5/6/2020 12:12pm
I wonder if Monster energy supercross is going to build tracks in stadiums for the last few rounds of supercross. Lots of money to build and...
I wonder if Monster energy supercross is going to build tracks in stadiums for the last few rounds of supercross. Lots of money to build and tear down. I dont think people can pay and enter to watch the racing.
Where else would they build them? They need the stadium for infrastructure to broadcast the race live. It’s the only setup they have.
ga_pike
5/6/2020 12:18pm
Where else would they build them? They need the stadium for infrastructure to broadcast the race live. It’s the only setup they have.
Why do they have to have a stadium infrastructure? Outdoor MX is done without a stadium. All they need are tracks and places to put cameras. This is why I feel like existing SX tracks (practice facilities) could be an option if they are most concerned with completing the series. The issue with this IMO is parking for the race teams and essential personnel.

I know the stadium makes it look and feel more "big time"... but in the existing climate, top priority should be getting back to racing, even without fans. If that's the case, then it doesn't matter if it's inside a stadium or not. Put up signage around the track, install a starting gate, put up some scaffolding for camera towers and go racing.
tek14
5/6/2020 12:24pm
ga_pike wrote:
Why do they have to have a stadium infrastructure? Outdoor MX is done without a stadium. All they need are tracks and places to put cameras...
Why do they have to have a stadium infrastructure? Outdoor MX is done without a stadium. All they need are tracks and places to put cameras. This is why I feel like existing SX tracks (practice facilities) could be an option if they are most concerned with completing the series. The issue with this IMO is parking for the race teams and essential personnel.

I know the stadium makes it look and feel more "big time"... but in the existing climate, top priority should be getting back to racing, even without fans. If that's the case, then it doesn't matter if it's inside a stadium or not. Put up signage around the track, install a starting gate, put up some scaffolding for camera towers and go racing.
How much rent they will have to pay.. empty stadiums everywhere so they will get them pretty cheap?
Spooner
5/6/2020 12:29pm
I'd have to think there is nowhere near enough parking at the practice tracks for all the teams. A stadium makes more sense as there is parking and being covered they don't have to worry at all about weather.
Anton_514
5/6/2020 2:44pm
ga_pike wrote:
Why do they have to have a stadium infrastructure? Outdoor MX is done without a stadium. All they need are tracks and places to put cameras...

I see this option being brought up a lot, but that's not really as achievable as you think.

All of the test tracks in California are in the same general area, right off the 15. Kawasaki's main track is a lot next to a heavy equipment business, a busy side street, and an interstate. In this scenario, they'd need to park a few dozen rigs (race teams, Aplinestars medical, Feld and AMA, TV production) plus whatever the smaller teams have around this area. The footprint of the pro racing paddock is massive and even when races happen in places like Detroit, where the pits are on the street, the city shuts those areas down for two days. You're not going to be able to do the same in this part of California, where traffic is always flowing between residential and consumer places, for days at a time.

On the other side of the freeway and up the hill are the rest of the test tracks. Although these are further away from the busy public roads, it's arguably even more tricky. The gravel road back to the test track is beat to hell with massive pot holes, the terrain around the tracks is hilly and steep, and it's in the middle of an operating clay company. Parking a few box vans or pick-ups is one thing, but anything more and it gets tricky (you should see how people stack up when additional cars go to the Honda track during their media day) So even though you have a little more space, the landscape is unforgiving and there is a different level of traffic.

Those tracks don't have the necessary infrastructure like lights, power hookups to run the cameras or scoring systems, established routes for cables to be channeled through, etc. Look closely and you'll see most the tracks don't even have an area big enough to put a 22-rider starting gate. All of that goes for places like State Fair, Aldon's, Sandbox, and so on.

People already know where the test tracks are, so it's common to see traffic on the 15 slow down when guys are riding at the Kawasaki track or for the moto vacationers to peek through the fence at others. When everyone knows that racing is in town, how will they keep them away? Maintaining proper social distancing is going to be one big factor in this program happening at all and fans wanting to catch a glimpse of the action will put that at risk.

A stadium, despite being an empty floor, answers all of those questions. Electric hook-ups are in the floor, cables are already routed through the venue for the TV production to plug in their equipment, and the track crew can route the added infrastructure of wires like they always do during the track build. A Supercross race is an all-day deal, so they can kick the lights on and even control the temperature if it's an indoor venue. Also, the stadium has established boundaries to keep fans away.

All that said, we're talking about California, which is still taking this thing serious with their stay at home order.

Again, I know that you think it'd be easy to show up and race at those practice tracks, but it's just not feasible.
Mr. Afterbar
5/6/2020 5:23pm Edited Date/Time 5/6/2020 5:24pm
ga_pike wrote:

The nationals are set up for that because all the races are in the middle of nowhere. Supercross is not set up for that scenario.

Nevermind. I see Anton explained in detail above.
Mr. CrossUp
5/6/2020 7:00pm
I would think that bringing in a massive amount of dirt and making a track in a stadium, and then removing it all and getting it back to the way it was before the race would be kind of expensive. Especially if know one is paying to get in.
Mr. CrossUp
5/6/2020 7:01pm
Unless you have Monster trucks the next weekend to split the cost.
Mr. Afterbar
5/6/2020 7:16pm
I would think that bringing in a massive amount of dirt and making a track in a stadium, and then removing it all and getting it...
I would think that bringing in a massive amount of dirt and making a track in a stadium, and then removing it all and getting it back to the way it was before the race would be kind of expensive. Especially if know one is paying to get in.
The TV contract money must be worth it to hold more races. Plus it’s the right thing to do. If they have all the races in one location, they only need to bring in the dirt once.
haydos25
Fantasy
3325th
5/6/2020 7:57pm
How much do FELD actually make from the broadcast package? I know it was few years ago but at one point wasn't supercross paying to be on TV? Is it financially worthwhile to run without paying fans? Or is it a bit of a shot in the dark hoping to get some publicity during the dead air time with all the other sports being off?

I also expect nobody here to actually have the answers to those questions, just some thoughts running through my head
Mr. CrossUp
5/6/2020 8:53pm
The KTM practice track has that remote control airplane thing next to it. All the teams could setup on the runway strip. Finish the season there. It's time for MX anyway.

Anton_514
5/6/2020 9:32pm
I would think that bringing in a massive amount of dirt and making a track in a stadium, and then removing it all and getting it...
When you buy a dirt bike, would you rather buy one that you have to completely put together before you can ride it, or a completely built one that you're able to take off the dealership floor, to a gas pump, and then the track?

Because this idea of racing at the test tracks means they'd have to source vendors for things like added utilities, then have specialty crews come in and piece it together. That's building additional infrastructures for power, parking, zoning, security, and maintenance to have something that would be a half-finished product in an empty lot, which would be used in this capacity one time.

Or they could basically bring the dirt, tuff blocks, and cameras into one place that already has all of that stuff handled and hold a "normal" race, then take it right back out.

Stadium rent cannot be that expensive if things like high school sports and traveling RV-boat shows take place there during the year.
kkawboy14
5/6/2020 11:40pm
Bring it to Austin and run 7 races at Circuit of the America’s!
c0ncEpT
5/7/2020 5:24am
The dirt is stored at the stadium. It's as simple and renting equipment and going out to the storage area either in the parking lot or basement and moving it.
5/7/2020 5:51am Edited Date/Time 5/7/2020 5:51am
I offer my ranch for SX use. 27,000 acres.... plenty of parking!!! Move all the dirt you want!!! Camp as long as you need to!!! Remote corner of New Mexico.... isolation is a guarantee!!!! Land your helicopters, planes, etc in the pasture!!! Easy day's drive for Tomac!!! It won't rain... guaranteed!!! The wind will blow, though- guaranteed!

My only stipulations are:

1) leave the track
2) and a water truck
3) Jenny Taft does the commentary

I'll be waiting for your PM's.
yak651
Fantasy
214th
5/7/2020 6:22am
haydos25 wrote:
How much do FELD actually make from the broadcast package? I know it was few years ago but at one point wasn't supercross paying to be...
How much do FELD actually make from the broadcast package? I know it was few years ago but at one point wasn't supercross paying to be on TV? Is it financially worthwhile to run without paying fans? Or is it a bit of a shot in the dark hoping to get some publicity during the dead air time with all the other sports being off?

I also expect nobody here to actually have the answers to those questions, just some thoughts running through my head
Well I'm pretty sure they aren't trying to figure out a way to make these races happen to lose money, so take that into consideration...
ga_pike
5/7/2020 10:24am
Anton_514 wrote:
I see this option being brought up a lot, but that's not really as achievable as you think. All of the test tracks in California are...
I see this option being brought up a lot, but that's not really as achievable as you think.

All of the test tracks in California are in the same general area, right off the 15. Kawasaki's main track is a lot next to a heavy equipment business, a busy side street, and an interstate. In this scenario, they'd need to park a few dozen rigs (race teams, Aplinestars medical, Feld and AMA, TV production) plus whatever the smaller teams have around this area. The footprint of the pro racing paddock is massive and even when races happen in places like Detroit, where the pits are on the street, the city shuts those areas down for two days. You're not going to be able to do the same in this part of California, where traffic is always flowing between residential and consumer places, for days at a time.

On the other side of the freeway and up the hill are the rest of the test tracks. Although these are further away from the busy public roads, it's arguably even more tricky. The gravel road back to the test track is beat to hell with massive pot holes, the terrain around the tracks is hilly and steep, and it's in the middle of an operating clay company. Parking a few box vans or pick-ups is one thing, but anything more and it gets tricky (you should see how people stack up when additional cars go to the Honda track during their media day) So even though you have a little more space, the landscape is unforgiving and there is a different level of traffic.

Those tracks don't have the necessary infrastructure like lights, power hookups to run the cameras or scoring systems, established routes for cables to be channeled through, etc. Look closely and you'll see most the tracks don't even have an area big enough to put a 22-rider starting gate. All of that goes for places like State Fair, Aldon's, Sandbox, and so on.

People already know where the test tracks are, so it's common to see traffic on the 15 slow down when guys are riding at the Kawasaki track or for the moto vacationers to peek through the fence at others. When everyone knows that racing is in town, how will they keep them away? Maintaining proper social distancing is going to be one big factor in this program happening at all and fans wanting to catch a glimpse of the action will put that at risk.

A stadium, despite being an empty floor, answers all of those questions. Electric hook-ups are in the floor, cables are already routed through the venue for the TV production to plug in their equipment, and the track crew can route the added infrastructure of wires like they always do during the track build. A Supercross race is an all-day deal, so they can kick the lights on and even control the temperature if it's an indoor venue. Also, the stadium has established boundaries to keep fans away.

All that said, we're talking about California, which is still taking this thing serious with their stay at home order.

Again, I know that you think it'd be easy to show up and race at those practice tracks, but it's just not feasible.
Good discussion.

Who said we had to use the factory test tracks? What about practice facilities like SOB, MTF, Moto-X Compound, Baker's Factory and similar. I mention those because those are the ones I know about, but there must be others. Some of those places could potentially have enough space and such to host events in a scaled down scenario. Fox/PALA has a SX track and has hosted Pro Nationals... Lake Sugar Tree has a SX track... Freestone has a SX track (per Google maps)... Glen Helen... How many rounds do we have left?

Not that any of it really matters. I'm just enjoying the discussion.
kkawboy14
5/7/2020 12:57pm
I offer my ranch for SX use. 27,000 acres.... plenty of parking!!! Move all the dirt you want!!! Camp as long as you need to!!! Remote...
I offer my ranch for SX use. 27,000 acres.... plenty of parking!!! Move all the dirt you want!!! Camp as long as you need to!!! Remote corner of New Mexico.... isolation is a guarantee!!!! Land your helicopters, planes, etc in the pasture!!! Easy day's drive for Tomac!!! It won't rain... guaranteed!!! The wind will blow, though- guaranteed!

My only stipulations are:

1) leave the track
2) and a water truck
3) Jenny Taft does the commentary

I'll be waiting for your PM's.
I think that would have been a deal breaker if you demanded them to leave Jenny Taft 😂

Post a reply to: Kawasaki test track in SoCal

The Latest