Kawasaki kx250f 2009 should i buy?

canales98
Hi so i passed on a 2006 same model, because needed a new filter witch it is bad news for the bike, anyway i am looking at this one (pics below) everything is fine exept for the suspension fork it is leaking a bit but that can be fixed easily right?
He is asking for 2,300 btw should i get it? it has aprox 50 hrs on it, its the one with a regular gas tank, Hope u guys can help
Thanks!

|
colintrax
Fantasy
2363rd
10/1/2016 4:47pm
No need to make a new thread for each bike you find.
50 hours on everything? If so it's time to check the valves and replace the piston/rings.
A leaky fork means new seals, bushings, and fluid. If the shock has 50 hours, good idea to service it as well. I'm gonna assume you're not the best mechanic, so you'll need to take the suspension to a shop for service.
Rockinar
10/1/2016 5:10pm

Buy something cheap and a set of tools. Strip it down to a pile of parts and put it back together. That way you will never have any mechanical questions again. You will KNOW. Like when Bruce Jenner became Caitlin.
xr70
10/1/2016 5:23pm
Clapped out.
10/1/2016 5:37pm Edited Date/Time 10/1/2016 6:11pm
If you're dead set on a 250f, don't even bother to continue reading.

Buuut... might I recommend a 125 2 stroke they are a great beginner bike, a little slow but nothing a few modifications can't help. You're just always running a risk buying a used four stroke, I mean it's already a 7 year old bike. That being said you can definitely find some four stroke that are in great condition that are even old than an 09.

Ultimately up to you but the way I see it the money you save in rebuilds you could use to make it a screamer.

Edit: In terms of the 250f you're looking at it seems to be in pretty good condition, but the most important thing would be whats in the motor, so hard to say. As for the leaky forks it really depends on how long they've been leaking for and if it's been ridden with no fork oil or something like that, but either way you're definitely gonna be spending some money on that alone.

The Shop

wreckitrandy
10/1/2016 5:54pm
I seem to remember that being a bike with an oil screen that you have to split the cases to clean. Maybe I'm mistaken.
zehn
10/1/2016 5:59pm
A 7 year old 250F thumper? Hell no!
Rockinar
10/1/2016 7:14pm Edited Date/Time 10/1/2016 7:16pm
You passed on the last bike because you said you don't know how to change the air filter. This bike needs a new top end at best. I don't think an F bike is for you. You are going to end up just another kid with a blown up motor.

Get a CRF230 or something.
FCTRY
10/1/2016 7:16pm Edited Date/Time 10/1/2016 7:17pm
Like was said, this is probably the last one of these threads you'll get away with making. Ideally this would go in the new rider forum, but I'm aware there's not much traffic over there...

Anyway, I know some people aren't being super helpful to you, we'd all love to have 7k to walk into a dealership, but for many people thats not even close to an option. I have bought second and third hand bikes my whole riding career. Some were clapped, some were dialed. In a lot of ways it can be hard to tell. For example, people are afraid of a bike that's been raced, but a serious racer with a bank account will probably take much better care of their bike than a broke hillbilly. So even if the racer rides way harder, the bike may be in a better state that Cletus's. You can develop an eye over time, I scope out the seller just as much as I scope out the bike. The best bike is one from an old guy with money who barely rode it, but those are unicorns. Still, I shoot for a slow rider who isn't broke. If the lawn looks good and the car is clean and not a mustang, that's a good start.

50 Hours is actually pretty low for a bike with 7 seasons on it. Bikes with less than 30 hours in this price range are almost nonexistent just by virtue of age, and many will be well into the hundreds of hours by now. You are correct that fork service is not too big of a deal, but the cost of service is all about your own abilities. If you take it to a dealer to get fixed, you'll be looking at hundreds of dollars. If you do it yourself, $40 for seals and $40 for fluids. My advice is to make friends who know what they're doing and learn as much as you can.

There's really not enough information here to say if this bike is the right one or not. If it was me, I'd be looking for bone stock and blue. I checked San Diego CL, none are really jumping out at me. This one might be worth a look, if the guy is honest about all the new stuff.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/ant/mcy/5801821069.html

All that being said, if you can scrounge your way into the 3k price range, it really opens your options up and gets into the area where you can find some of those gently used examples. You're not going to get pristine at 2200, but if it's what you've gotta do to get riding, I get it and Ive been there. Two stroke is indeed a good option if you can find one. Unfortunately, in my area, everyone decided that 2-strokes were just the coolest, and now people want 3k for their 06 yz125.
Rockinar
10/1/2016 8:15pm Edited Date/Time 10/1/2016 8:17pm
FCTRY wrote:
Like was said, this is probably the last one of these threads you'll get away with making. Ideally this would go in the new rider forum...
Like was said, this is probably the last one of these threads you'll get away with making. Ideally this would go in the new rider forum, but I'm aware there's not much traffic over there...

Anyway, I know some people aren't being super helpful to you, we'd all love to have 7k to walk into a dealership, but for many people thats not even close to an option. I have bought second and third hand bikes my whole riding career. Some were clapped, some were dialed. In a lot of ways it can be hard to tell. For example, people are afraid of a bike that's been raced, but a serious racer with a bank account will probably take much better care of their bike than a broke hillbilly. So even if the racer rides way harder, the bike may be in a better state that Cletus's. You can develop an eye over time, I scope out the seller just as much as I scope out the bike. The best bike is one from an old guy with money who barely rode it, but those are unicorns. Still, I shoot for a slow rider who isn't broke. If the lawn looks good and the car is clean and not a mustang, that's a good start.

50 Hours is actually pretty low for a bike with 7 seasons on it. Bikes with less than 30 hours in this price range are almost nonexistent just by virtue of age, and many will be well into the hundreds of hours by now. You are correct that fork service is not too big of a deal, but the cost of service is all about your own abilities. If you take it to a dealer to get fixed, you'll be looking at hundreds of dollars. If you do it yourself, $40 for seals and $40 for fluids. My advice is to make friends who know what they're doing and learn as much as you can.

There's really not enough information here to say if this bike is the right one or not. If it was me, I'd be looking for bone stock and blue. I checked San Diego CL, none are really jumping out at me. This one might be worth a look, if the guy is honest about all the new stuff.

All that being said, if you can scrounge your way into the 3k price range, it really opens your options up and gets into the area where you can find some of those gently used examples. You're not going to get pristine at 2200, but if it's what you've gotta do to get riding, I get it and Ive been there. Two stroke is indeed a good option if you can find one. Unfortunately, in my area, everyone decided that 2-strokes were just the coolest, and now people want 3k for their 06 yz125.

Nothing wrong with a 7 year old bike if you have a set of metric tools, a service manual and some mechanical ability. From what I have seen most of these 250Fs are owned by teens and 20 somethings that abuse the bikes in every way, shape and form. They just don't do the maintenance on them for whatever their reason (lazy, broke, spent the money on Monster decals, etc). They seem to think if nothing is smoking or making noise then it does not need to be done. Buying any 250F is a decent risk. A 7 year old F bike is high risk. But, if you have tools and mechanical ability, you can go over everything and lower that risk to whatever level you want before you ride it. You could make it about good as new if you wanted.

Red flag was this kid said in another thread that he did not know how to change the air filter so he passed on the other bike.

Any used F bike should be stripped down and gone over. If you buy a used bike and just go ride it, you are gambling. If might blow up in 10 minutes, or it might last 5 years. It's up to the buyer to decide what they are willing to risk.

cali11
10/1/2016 8:18pm
I would pass on that too! You can get a newer bike for same price if you look around. I just picked up a 2008 YZ250f with a bad rod for $250! Parting it out if anyone needs parts. Hit me up!
FCTRY
10/1/2016 8:44pm
Rockinar wrote:
Nothing wrong with a 7 year old bike if you have a set of metric tools, a service manual and some mechanical ability. From what I...

Nothing wrong with a 7 year old bike if you have a set of metric tools, a service manual and some mechanical ability. From what I have seen most of these 250Fs are owned by teens and 20 somethings that abuse the bikes in every way, shape and form. They just don't do the maintenance on them for whatever their reason (lazy, broke, spent the money on Monster decals, etc). They seem to think if nothing is smoking or making noise then it does not need to be done. Buying any 250F is a decent risk. A 7 year old F bike is high risk. But, if you have tools and mechanical ability, you can go over everything and lower that risk to whatever level you want before you ride it. You could make it about good as new if you wanted.

Red flag was this kid said in another thread that he did not know how to change the air filter so he passed on the other bike.

Any used F bike should be stripped down and gone over. If you buy a used bike and just go ride it, you are gambling. If might blow up in 10 minutes, or it might last 5 years. It's up to the buyer to decide what they are willing to risk.

I agree with all of that. Monster energy graphics will stop me from even going to look at a bike. Part of me wants to think that anyone could learn how to work on a dirt bike, but the other part is surprised some people can mange to tie their shoes. The fact that this kid doesn't know how to change an air filter isn't a good sign, but that could just be that it's literally his first bike ever. Who knows, but the main moral of the story is, you need either money or capability. If you have neither, you're gonna have a bad time.
PJ205
10/1/2016 8:48pm
zehn wrote:
A 7 year old 250F thumper? Hell no!
I'm with this guy.
canales98
10/2/2016 7:21pm
Rockinar wrote:
You passed on the last bike because you said you don't know how to change the air filter. This bike needs a new top end at...
You passed on the last bike because you said you don't know how to change the air filter. This bike needs a new top end at best. I don't think an F bike is for you. You are going to end up just another kid with a blown up motor.

Get a CRF230 or something.
I passed because a new filter means the bike is damaged already, filters need to be maintaned, cleaned every ride or so
canales98
10/2/2016 7:31pm
FCTRY wrote:
Like was said, this is probably the last one of these threads you'll get away with making. Ideally this would go in the new rider forum...

Bike looks good and its a yamaha thx ill check it out
LungButter
10/2/2016 7:35pm
Judging by the picture, the Kawi seems well maintained, looks like the bike behind it is a 2nd bike possibly, that's always a good sign. Odds are if someone has the coin to have 2 bikes, they probably have the coin to maintain them. 50 hours for an 09 doesn't really scare me, can't realistically expect many less than that.

The Yamaha posted above also looks like a good bike for the money.

I gotta agree with quite a few of the others though, a 125 is probably a better place to start.

By the way, you for sure made the right move passing on the bike you posted in the other thread, both the Kawi you posted here and the Yamaha are WAY better options.
scooter5002
10/2/2016 8:01pm
If that bike really has 50 hours on it, budget for a top end, and buy it. I rode one, and at 255 lbs in gear at that time, I loved it. Great motor, killer suspension. One I rode belonged to a friend, and he's 100 pounds lighter than me, on stock springs. Still a great ride.
BobPA
10/2/2016 10:22pm
What the fuck is an "F" bike?
nytsmaC
10/2/2016 11:01pm Edited Date/Time 10/4/2016 12:38am
Acidreamer
10/3/2016 4:16am
IMO id prefer to buy a bike like this over the same bike in better condition for more money. Might sound crazy but i feel better buying the bike for less money and doing a full teardown and rebuild to make sure i have a prestine motor. Ive heard of too many horror stories of people who buy used bikes and assuming the motor is good and it blows up. However it depends on how well you know bikes and your ability to work on them. if you cant work on them them find a racer who loves his bike more than his own family. Stay away from the hillbillies. if that filter is dirty then stay away!
bdavis435
10/3/2016 10:25am
The 2009 KX250F has problems with the passage for the crankcase vent. The passage doubles as a shaft that the kick-starter gear rides on and is only pressed in. It tends to spin from kick-starting the bike and cuts ventilation off which eventually blows out through the valve cover gasket or any other weaker seal. I have a buddy who dealt with this issue for a while and ended up getting another bike because of it.I believe that the 09's are the only year that had that problem. A short google search will bring you more up to speed on this issue.
cappelmans
10/3/2016 10:40am
I had an 09, fine bike but sold it around the 40hr mark. Too much maintenance costs involved for top end rebuild. If you are a good mechanic and I am certainly not, you can save some bucks and have fun with it.

I would suggest looking for a younger bike with 20 hrs or less on it.
canales98
10/3/2016 5:50pm
BobPA wrote:
Meaning 4 stroke i guess lol
Rockinar
10/3/2016 6:08pm Edited Date/Time 10/3/2016 6:09pm
BobPA wrote:
Get a 2 Smoke.

Fun bike, easy to maintain, cheaper to maintain, will do anything a 250F can do unless you are racing pro national or supercross races.

I'd have no issues buying a 10 year old 2 stroke as long as I can find parts. I'd never buy a used 250F any of any brand more than about 1 year old.
canales98
10/6/2016 4:44am
Thx guys! I just got a new ktm sx-f for a good price
Cygnus
10/6/2016 5:01am
Nice. Make sure you keep up on all the maintenance intervals. If it didn't come with an hour meter buy one before you start it.

Post a reply to: Kawasaki kx250f 2009 should i buy?

The Latest