Kawasaki Kxf 250 2021 clutch issues??

5/30/2021 1:57pm Edited Date/Time 9/14/2021 7:02am
Has anybody on here had issues burning clutches out on the new hydraulic clutch?
|
BenC711
5/30/2021 3:21pm
zgringo555 wrote:
?
I just spoke to Jayne at Pure MX about this, she should have some answers for you
DJV804
5/30/2021 3:31pm
Not burning out, but the 2021 clutch is a problem. Some people aren’t having any issues and some are having clutch plates explode and go through the motor. There’s definitely an issue, but it’s seemingly not being addressed(or admitted).

The easy fix is replace the plates every 10 hours, the better fix is putting a 2020 clutch in it. The best fix is a Hinson 5 spring setup or Rekluse torqdrive from a 2020, but there aren’t many of those in stock anywhere right now.
5/31/2021 6:14am
Whatt? I bought yesterday a kxf 250 2021.
The bike is awesome and you're making me worried.

The Shop

5/31/2021 6:23am
DJV804 wrote:
Not burning out, but the 2021 clutch is a problem. Some people aren’t having any issues and some are having clutch plates explode and go through...
Not burning out, but the 2021 clutch is a problem. Some people aren’t having any issues and some are having clutch plates explode and go through the motor. There’s definitely an issue, but it’s seemingly not being addressed(or admitted).

The easy fix is replace the plates every 10 hours, the better fix is putting a 2020 clutch in it. The best fix is a Hinson 5 spring setup or Rekluse torqdrive from a 2020, but there aren’t many of those in stock anywhere right now.
Just took the clutch out.. back plate was smashed.. managed get some good info from a Kawasaki team over here.. that telling me the same as you about using 2020 friction plates.. cheers for the reply dude..👌
5/31/2021 6:25am
kawiboy793 wrote:
Whatt? I bought yesterday a kxf 250 2021.
The bike is awesome and you're making me worried.

It's definitely an issue mate bikes just done over 10 hours with an 56kg rider on!
5/31/2021 6:27am
zgringo555 wrote:
?
BenC711 wrote:
I just spoke to Jayne at Pure MX about this, she should have some answers for you
Thanks for the help Ben.. seems as though theres definitely an issue.. hopefully what u have told me will sort it.👍
DJV804
5/31/2021 9:00am
DJV804 wrote:
Not burning out, but the 2021 clutch is a problem. Some people aren’t having any issues and some are having clutch plates explode and go through...

zgringo555 wrote:
Just took the clutch out.. back plate was smashed.. managed get some good info from a Kawasaki team over here.. that telling me the same as...
Just took the clutch out.. back plate was smashed.. managed get some good info from a Kawasaki team over here.. that telling me the same as you about using 2020 friction plates.. cheers for the reply dude..👌
The 2020 plates will help but the clutch itself is still a problem. People are having the same issue with the Hinson plates. When I say replace it with 2020 I mean the inner hub, pressure plate, and 5 springs so it’s the complete 2020 setup.

The diaphragm spring clutch on the 2021 will still wreck any brand of plates if they’re not regularly changed out.
BenC711
5/31/2021 9:28am
zgringo555 wrote:
?
BenC711 wrote:
zgringo555 wrote:
Thanks for the help Ben.. seems as though theres definitely an issue.. hopefully what u have told me will sort it.👍
I’m 20 hours in buddy and still on the original set of 2020 plates I put in from new so hopefully should be ok, I will be putting a Hinson or Rekluse in as soon as I can though as they’re better in every way
DJV804
5/31/2021 10:28am
BenC711 wrote:
zgringo555 wrote:
BenC711 wrote:
I’m 20 hours in buddy and still on the original set of 2020 plates I put in from new so hopefully should be ok, I will...
I’m 20 hours in buddy and still on the original set of 2020 plates I put in from new so hopefully should be ok, I will be putting a Hinson or Rekluse in as soon as I can though as they’re better in every way
Yea like I said in my first post, some people aren’t having any issues with it being 100% stock and having a ton of time on it. But just swapping to 2020 plates on its own isn’t the fix. It’s better than the 2021 plates but they can still overheat and break from the new clutch.
LKHill
5/31/2021 10:55am
Is heat the issue? Heavy abuse will heat things up.
DJV804
5/31/2021 11:08am
I was told by a kawi employee and one of the bigger engine guys in the US that’s had a few come through his shop that the diaphragm spring isn’t strong enough, so it slips even under normal use and heats the plates up. The new plates themselves are an issue too, so swapping them helps out But people that are faster or hard on clutches will have more of an issue no matter what if you stick with the 2021 diaphragm system.

I personally didn’t have an issue but it was in the back of my head every time I went riding until I swapped out for a Hinson 5 spring setup
mark_swart
5/31/2021 3:40pm
I was just talking to a friend having this problem with his 2021 KX 450 - he is at 17 hours and on his fourth clutch, switched to Hinson but still doing it. Sounds like the same problem, it starts slipping and goes away. He is at a loss - is there a different tension diaphragm available out there or is the only option to switch to the 2020 setup?
DJV804
5/31/2021 3:45pm Edited Date/Time 5/31/2021 3:45pm
mark_swart wrote:
I was just talking to a friend having this problem with his 2021 KX 450 - he is at 17 hours and on his fourth clutch...
I was just talking to a friend having this problem with his 2021 KX 450 - he is at 17 hours and on his fourth clutch, switched to Hinson but still doing it. Sounds like the same problem, it starts slipping and goes away. He is at a loss - is there a different tension diaphragm available out there or is the only option to switch to the 2020 setup?
That’s the first I’ve heard of issues on the 450. From what I know that one hasnt had the same problems.

No stiffer option for the 250. You only need the inner hub and pressure plate, then obviously a plate and fiber kit. The oem ones aren't priced outrageous but it’s tough to find anything in stock right now.
paddyB745
6/1/2021 11:47am
mark_swart wrote:
I was just talking to a friend having this problem with his 2021 KX 450 - he is at 17 hours and on his fourth clutch...
DJV804 wrote:
That’s the first I’ve heard of issues on the 450. From what I know that one hasnt had the same problems. No stiffer option for the...
That’s the first I’ve heard of issues on the 450. From what I know that one hasnt had the same problems.

No stiffer option for the 250. You only need the inner hub and pressure plate, then obviously a plate and fiber kit. The oem ones aren't priced outrageous but it’s tough to find anything in stock right now.
Is that something you’ve done or seen done? Looks like the basket is the same part # for 20 and 21 but there are a few different part numbers like the push rod and the little holder that the push rod goes into and pushes on the pressure plate. All you need is the hub, pressure plate, clutch pack, and springs/bolts?
chuck356
6/1/2021 1:28pm
Anyone having issues with hydraulic clutch, make sure the fluid in the system is clean and properly bled. If air gets in the system, with use it heats up and expands, which can lead to reducing free play in the system to zero or less than zero. So as the moto goes on, everything gets hotter, including the clutch system fluid, air bubbles expand, and then it's just like riding with the clutch pulled in ever so slightly. Once the clutch starts slipping, it all goes downhill from there. Some guys with cable actuated clutches will do the same, adjust for the least amount of freeplay possible and as things change during the moto, clutch slippage results.
dancolvin633
Fantasy
2171st
6/1/2021 6:25pm
I have a stock 20 pressure plate and springs if anyone needs it.... you will need the inner hub still. Parts are hard to find right now but i have them if someone wants them. $30
DJV804
6/1/2021 6:32pm
paddyB745 wrote:
Is that something you’ve done or seen done? Looks like the basket is the same part # for 20 and 21 but there are a few...
Is that something you’ve done or seen done? Looks like the basket is the same part # for 20 and 21 but there are a few different part numbers like the push rod and the little holder that the push rod goes into and pushes on the pressure plate. All you need is the hub, pressure plate, clutch pack, and springs/bolts?
Yes and yes. Everything will drop right in with the parts you listed.
DJV804
6/1/2021 6:34pm
chuck356 wrote:
Anyone having issues with hydraulic clutch, make sure the fluid in the system is clean and properly bled. If air gets in the system, with use...
Anyone having issues with hydraulic clutch, make sure the fluid in the system is clean and properly bled. If air gets in the system, with use it heats up and expands, which can lead to reducing free play in the system to zero or less than zero. So as the moto goes on, everything gets hotter, including the clutch system fluid, air bubbles expand, and then it's just like riding with the clutch pulled in ever so slightly. Once the clutch starts slipping, it all goes downhill from there. Some guys with cable actuated clutches will do the same, adjust for the least amount of freeplay possible and as things change during the moto, clutch slippage results.
That’s all correct, but that isn’t the issue we are talking about. There is a known issue on the 2021(and probably 2022) KX250 clutch plates and diaphragm spring. I’ve seen a few personally and have heard of quite a few.
6/1/2021 10:19pm
paddyB745 wrote:
Is that something you’ve done or seen done? Looks like the basket is the same part # for 20 and 21 but there are a few...
DJV804 wrote:
So will all these parts from the 2020 fit straight in and work with the hydraulic clutch system?
DJV804
6/1/2021 10:59pm
paddyB745 wrote:
DJV804 wrote:
zgringo555 wrote:
So will all these parts from the 2020 fit straight in and work with the hydraulic clutch system?
Yes
WEAL
6/2/2021 12:25am
The way a diaphragm spring works is different to a coil spring. The d-spring is very strong before it collapses if pushed further. So the plates assembly has to be selected to the correct stack height to make the spring work at its maximal pressure. When you pull the lever the spring deforms over the max pressure point and becomes weak again, thereby creating easy lever action.
If stack height is not enough you give up a lot of pressure and get a harder lifting action, clutch slip will result.
If stack height is too high you are already over the point of max tension so the clutch will not be able to hold the power of bike.
If the d-spring is already selected too weak from the factory no stack height will help.
SilverSpurs
6/2/2021 12:36am Edited Date/Time 6/2/2021 12:38am
chuck356 wrote:
Anyone having issues with hydraulic clutch, make sure the fluid in the system is clean and properly bled. If air gets in the system, with use...
If what you describe is happening the clutch master cylinder is not assembled or adjusted correctly.

The compensating port- the small hole just forward of the piston seal in the master cylinder body may be covered and the expanding fluid- and bubbles are not escaping into the reservoir. At rest that hole must be uncovered.

Illustration is obviously not KX250.

DJV804
6/2/2021 1:08am Edited Date/Time 6/2/2021 1:09am
chuck356 wrote:
If what you describe is happening the clutch master cylinder is not assembled or adjusted correctly. The compensating port- the small hole just forward of the...
If what you describe is happening the clutch master cylinder is not assembled or adjusted correctly.

The compensating port- the small hole just forward of the piston seal in the master cylinder body may be covered and the expanding fluid- and bubbles are not escaping into the reservoir. At rest that hole must be uncovered.

Yes I am very familiar with how a clutch and brake master cylinder works.

In this specific case, the master cylinder/hydraulic portion is working fine. This is a known issue within Team Green and Kawasaki, and while they haven’t recognized it publicly as an issue with a recall, the “recommended” fix is to swap to a 2020 style 5-spring clutch. End of story.

Without doing anything else within the system, I have done this swap on 2 bikes, as well as my own and the issue has gone away. Talk to almost anyone building these engines, or pro circuit, or team green, they will tell you the same.
SilverSpurs
6/5/2021 5:01am
chuck356 wrote:
If what you describe is happening the clutch master cylinder is not assembled or adjusted correctly. The compensating port- the small hole just forward of the...

DJV804 wrote:
Yes I am very familiar with how a clutch and brake master cylinder works. In this specific case, the master cylinder/hydraulic portion is working fine. This...
Yes I am very familiar with how a clutch and brake master cylinder works.

In this specific case, the master cylinder/hydraulic portion is working fine. This is a known issue within Team Green and Kawasaki, and while they haven’t recognized it publicly as an issue with a recall, the “recommended” fix is to swap to a 2020 style 5-spring clutch. End of story.

Without doing anything else within the system, I have done this swap on 2 bikes, as well as my own and the issue has gone away. Talk to almost anyone building these engines, or pro circuit, or team green, they will tell you the same.
You haven't quite picked up on it have you?
LKHill
6/5/2021 5:59pm
mark_swart wrote:
Rotella T6?
kNewc
6/7/2021 7:51am
I have a stock 20 pressure plate and springs if anyone needs it.... you will need the inner hub still. Parts are hard to find right...
I have a stock 20 pressure plate and springs if anyone needs it.... you will need the inner hub still. Parts are hard to find right now but i have them if someone wants them. $30
I sent you a message if you still have them!
8/1/2021 12:51pm
Glad to see these post, took my 2021 out today and after my second lap clutch started slipping so bad I almost killed myself on a double. Bike has 7 hours on it, I’m heavy for a 250 at 190lbs but I’m not a A rider smoking the clutch that fast.
NathanH849
9/13/2021 9:44am
I am wondering if anyone is still having clutch slippage problems after the recent recall on the clutch. The dealer replaced my cover for a recall. But not even 4 rides after having that done, my clutch started slipping my second moto.
WDSRCR
9/14/2021 5:30am
NathanH849 wrote:
I am wondering if anyone is still having clutch slippage problems after the recent recall on the clutch. The dealer replaced my cover for a recall...
I am wondering if anyone is still having clutch slippage problems after the recent recall on the clutch. The dealer replaced my cover for a recall. But not even 4 rides after having that done, my clutch started slipping my second moto.
Did they replace the clutch plates well? Kawasaki is a little different in the fact they recommend a certain clutch plate stack height when replacing and if it doesn't fall within range, you add or remove plates to get it within spec.

I am wondering if the dealership possibly placed it all back together without checking that spec and you have an out of spec clutch pack.

Post a reply to: Kawasaki Kxf 250 2021 clutch issues??

The Latest