Kawasaki Destination Charges

KDXGarage
Edited Date/Time 6/24/2019 8:24am
For those of you who have bought a new Kawasaki 250 or 450 in the past couple of years, if the dealer added on a destination charge, what amount did you end up paying?

I am curious as to how much and how often various Kawasaki dealers do add on the destination charge. It is advertised by the kawasaki.com website.

Thank you.
|
kb228
6/21/2019 11:16am
When i asked an OTD price on the 19 kx450, the total was about $1000 more than the MSRP. That included tax title destination charge and i think some other documentation fee
nd54
6/21/2019 11:21am Edited Date/Time 6/21/2019 11:21am
On my 2019 kx 450 it was $195 transportation fee and $65 for set up. This is in NY
KDXGarage
6/21/2019 12:15pm
The website is showing $410 for various models for 2019 and 2020.
kb228
6/21/2019 1:01pm
KDXGarage wrote:
The website is showing $410 for various models for 2019 and 2020.
Call your dealer and ask. When i asked, it was right when it first came out. Some of them will waive some fees. It only takes a 3 min phone call to ask an OTD price

The Shop

KDXGarage
6/21/2019 1:35pm
I am trying to gather info on the KLX300R, which is not out. I am curious as to how much dealers usually try to tack on, based on people buying Kawasakis that are already out.

Calling and asking is not the same as sitting and signing papers.
Texas Built
6/21/2019 1:58pm Edited Date/Time 6/21/2019 2:00pm
KDXGarage wrote:
I am trying to gather info on the KLX300R, which is not out. I am curious as to how much dealers usually try to tack on...
I am trying to gather info on the KLX300R, which is not out. I am curious as to how much dealers usually try to tack on, based on people buying Kawasakis that are already out.

If you're sweating over a $300 shipping charge, then you should not be buying a new bike. You should be buying food for your kids.

As some previously mentioned, tack on $1,000 to the MSRP and that's about what you should expect to pay OTD with taxes, destination charge and misc fees.
Indy mxer
6/21/2019 2:30pm
KDXGarage wrote:
I am trying to gather info on the KLX300R, which is not out. I am curious as to how much dealers usually try to tack on...

If you're sweating over a $300 shipping charge, then you should not be buying a new bike. You should be buying food for your kids. As...
If you're sweating over a $300 shipping charge, then you should not be buying a new bike. You should be buying food for your kids.

As some previously mentioned, tack on $1,000 to the MSRP and that's about what you should expect to pay OTD with taxes, destination charge and misc fees.
Wrong! Not all dealers do that. My brother is a long time Kawasaki dealer here in Southern IN. Also Polaris.
His price is plus tax and a $30 doc fee. That's it, no hidden fees. And yes, his prices are competitive. It's old school, but that's why they've been in business since 1973. And why he's one of the biggest Polaris dealers in the state, even though he's in a town of 6000 people.

Not a good idea to say all dealers are like that.
JBecker 72
6/21/2019 4:49pm
I bought my 16 KX450F leftover in April 2017 for $7200 out the door. Only fees I paid were sales tax and a title fee. This was Manassas Honda Kawasaki Suzuki.

Last July right as the new 19 KX450 came out, Ridersville Cycle in Berkeley Springs WV quoted me $8k out the door. That dealer has no BS fees. Only sales tax if you’re an in state resident. They move a shitload of bikes every year and are tough to beat around here for Honda, Kawasaki, Husky and KTM.
navalseabee
6/21/2019 5:04pm
I paid $300 for what the dealer called shipping charge
Texas Built
6/21/2019 5:38pm
Indy mxer wrote:
Wrong! Not all dealers do that. My brother is a long time Kawasaki dealer here in Southern IN. Also Polaris. His price is plus tax and...
Wrong! Not all dealers do that. My brother is a long time Kawasaki dealer here in Southern IN. Also Polaris.
His price is plus tax and a $30 doc fee. That's it, no hidden fees. And yes, his prices are competitive. It's old school, but that's why they've been in business since 1973. And why he's one of the biggest Polaris dealers in the state, even though he's in a town of 6000 people.

Well good for your brother, but that's not a realistic expectation when shopping for a bike. That far vast majority of dealers are going to charge you a delivery fee, taxes, assembly fee and misc document fees which will come out to around $1,000. If you find one that does not charge some of these fees, great. But that's not the norm.
ctbale
6/22/2019 1:33am
Indy mxer wrote:
Wrong! Not all dealers do that. My brother is a long time Kawasaki dealer here in Southern IN. Also Polaris. His price is plus tax and...

Well good for your brother, but that's not a realistic expectation when shopping for a bike. That far vast majority of dealers are going to charge...
Well good for your brother, but that's not a realistic expectation when shopping for a bike. That far vast majority of dealers are going to charge you a delivery fee, taxes, assembly fee and misc document fees which will come out to around $1,000. If you find one that does not charge some of these fees, great. But that's not the norm.
Jesus, so your saying they tell you the price and you just pay it! That's just not the norm
sandtrack315
6/22/2019 1:43am
You shouldn’t pay over MSRP on a bike (before tax). Call around.
scott_nz
Fantasy
655th
6/22/2019 2:27am
America, the land of plus everything , in the rest of the world full rrp is the most you ever pay
Indy mxer
6/22/2019 6:45am
Indy mxer wrote:

Well good for your brother, but that's not a realistic expectation when shopping for a bike. That far vast majority of dealers are going to charge...
What do you mean that's not a realistic expectation? Either you need to shop around more, or you work for that dealer.

I just said not all dealers do that and gave you a specific example, and so did others here.
Like I said, that's part of the reason our family dealership has been successful 46 years. Btw, I don't work there.

Bottom line is, there's still some great dealers out there that don't rip people off with bogus fee's. You just have to find them.
Bennett59
6/22/2019 6:49am
It depends on the dealer if they normally don’t charge for those or if they do, by law they can’t charge those fees to one person then not to another. So sometimes they list those fees then take off from the amount or somewhere else. Just certain fees have to be same across the board
JohnnyD13
6/22/2019 6:54am
I have 2 buddies that road my 19 KX450 and they are shopping right now for one. If they live in ga is it worth having a bike just shipped? I would love to find one dealer that I could buy my new bike from every other year.
Indy mxer
6/22/2019 7:18am
JohnnyD13 wrote:
I have 2 buddies that road my 19 KX450 and they are shopping right now for one. If they live in ga is it worth having...
I have 2 buddies that road my 19 KX450 and they are shopping right now for one. If they live in ga is it worth having a bike just shipped? I would love to find one dealer that I could buy my new bike from every other year.
Not sure about shipping probably not gonna be cheap. lol.
But the 19 Kawi 450 is a great buy right now. I'm getting ready to buy the last one my brother has. $7200 plus tax. That's what he sold one for last week.
824 Dad
6/22/2019 8:40am
It rediculous that they charge those fees, they have to get the bike to the dealer regardless so it can be sold and I needs to be put together
PTECH
6/22/2019 10:57am
Don't sweat the fees, worry about the OTD price that's all that matters.
Talisker
6/22/2019 11:04am
It will depend and vary on what level dealer they are. Find a high level or high volume dealer and this BS fee will be included or eliminated.
40acres
6/22/2019 11:07am
Bennett59 wrote:
It depends on the dealer if they normally don’t charge for those or if they do, by law they can’t charge those fees to one person...
It depends on the dealer if they normally don’t charge for those or if they do, by law they can’t charge those fees to one person then not to another. So sometimes they list those fees then take off from the amount or somewhere else. Just certain fees have to be same across the board
What law is that specifically?

To the OP, most manufacturers lost the destination charge on their website and it varies by model. A side x side is usually double that of a bike as it costs more to ship (size, weight, etc.). Our dealership would normally try and tack on $100 to the destination charge because you're usually dropping your pants on the sale price (have to Male a profit somewhere). I never felt comfortable adding the extra cost to the destination so I eventually stopped doing it, I would charge exactly what the manufacturer charged. It's a cost that definitely gets passed on.
40acres
6/22/2019 11:08am
824 Dad wrote:
It rediculous that they charge those fees, they have to get the bike to the dealer regardless so it can be sold and I needs to...
It rediculous that they charge those fees, they have to get the bike to the dealer regardless so it can be sold and I needs to be put together
Talk to the manufacturer. You think the dealer should cover those costs?

Maybe holler at the government while your at it and see if they'll cover increased product costs as a result of tariffs.
byke
6/22/2019 11:17am
KDXGarage wrote:

If you're sweating over a $300 shipping charge, then you should not be buying a new bike. You should be buying food for your kids. As...

Sweating a $300 charge is something wealthy people do just as much as poor people. One is out of necessity and one is out of greed, but they do it just the same.
40acres
6/22/2019 11:19am
KDXGarage wrote:

byke wrote:
Sweating a $300 charge is something wealthy people do just as much as poor people. One is out of necessity and one is out of greed...
Sweating a $300 charge is something wealthy people do just as much as poor people. One is out of necessity and one is out of greed, but they do it just the same.
I can tell you from my experience in the industry that wealthy individuals ask for discounts at a far greater rate than the less fortunate.
6/22/2019 11:50am
Freight & Prep is factored into the invoice price so if a dealer says you’re paying $100 over invoice + $300 freight & prep you’re actually paying $400 over.
6/22/2019 12:30pm
On a related note, that new 300 is pretty much the perfect bike for me. I’ve been holding off buying another bike and was leaning toward the crf250f, but the 5 speed and conventional fork wasn’t making me too jazzed about it. I think the klx300r is a pretty great alternative to the old kdx200. Glad to see the play/trail segment finally get a bike that’s not just the most basic of platforms
Texas Built
6/22/2019 8:04pm
ctbale wrote:
Jesus, so your saying they tell you the price and you just pay it! That's just not the norm
I would not walk in a dealer and pay the $7800 MSRP that they ask for new 250F models. But when they start slashing prices to $5800+ TTL & fees when new models come out, yeah I would not argue with that.
KDXGarage
6/22/2019 10:31pm
KDXGarage wrote:

The destination charge is listed as $410, not $300.

Thanks for the life / family advice? Wink

I doubt anyone will be paying $6,499 OTD for a KLX300R.

Thank you to everyone on the replies. The last time I bought a new bike, there was no push to show a "destination charge" on the website.

From the kawasaki website:

"DESTINATION CHARGE $410 †
† Specifications and pricing are subject to change.

Dealer sets the actual destination charge, your price may vary."

Post a reply to: Kawasaki Destination Charges

The Latest