KYB factory kit VS Yamaha KYB difference

Related:
Create New Tag

3/12/2021 2:36 AM

I am a little curious if someone could explain in specifics what the difference between the KYB kit suspension and the yamaha suspension is ?

I understand that coating and valving is different but i hope there is a little more to it ?

Technical Touch is making a push in Europe but you dont get any real answer other than "its not the same".
|

3/13/2021 1:14 AM

Ktmnorway wrote:
I am a little curious if someone could explain in specifics what the difference between the KYB kit suspension and the yamaha ...more

Been a few years now but a very reputable suspension tuner told me it’s basically the same suspension with coatings.... and of course the valving can be modified by anyone....

|

3/13/2021 6:47 AM

Tolerances?

|

3/13/2021 6:59 AM

I do have a KYB Factory Kit, and the length of the spring is not the same if you compare with a normal KYB.....so there must be some difference internally.

|

3/13/2021 7:33 AM

Fernando Rigaud wrote:

I do have a KYB Factory Kit, and the length of the spring is not the same if you compare with a normal KYB.....so there must ...more

They are based off the 2012 KX450 fork so they use the 470mm spring instead of the 497mm and they have the older 24mm cartridge instead of the current 25mm the YZ got in 2018.

|

3/13/2021 8:08 AM

loftyair wrote:

Tolerances?

This is what I’ve been told as well, not just for KYB. Mass-produced vs limited number.

|

3/13/2021 8:18 AM

Coatings, low friction seals & bushings, billet fork lugs, finer adjustment of clickers, and built to tighter tolerances. There are probably other little things internally as well, spring perch, etc.

You could build a set of KYB SSS forks to a very close "A-kit" spec for a lot less than an A-kit costs.

|

3/13/2021 8:20 AM

Built ford tough

|

3/13/2021 9:00 AM

kieran_macca wrote:

Coatings, low friction seals & bushings, billet fork lugs, finer adjustment of clickers, and built to tighter tolerances. ...more

How?

|

3/13/2021 9:11 AM

I think 10-20 years ago there was a big upgrade between production and A-Kit, but today they appear to be the same basic technology, but with coatings. I believe the high dollar A-Kit KYB forks use the same plastic ICS piston that the production forks have.

|

Motocross....a once in a lifetime experience....every weekend.

3/13/2021 9:22 AM

Coatings is all that is different, I have the a kit as well as the kyb inserts and other then coatings they are the same.

|

3/13/2021 9:36 AM

Send the front an back to Poletti. Tell them what you want. They have numerous solutions for KYB (internals, spring, coatings,...) and in result you will have perfectly set suspension for you. I had many years of great experience with them.
https://www.polettiracing.it/

|

3/13/2021 12:59 PM

Seals and bushings are the same part numbers. ICS piston is the same shit plastic part that breaks.

Spring perch is different. Pistons And cartridge shaft diameter might be different.

For a slow rider stock forks might be the better choice. The spring perches can be bought separately so if you’re a faster rider you can benefit from them.

Coatings are mainly for looks unless you so fast long motos.

|

3/13/2021 2:54 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/13/2021 3:00 PM

kieran_macca wrote:

Coatings, low friction seals & bushings, billet fork lugs, finer adjustment of clickers, and built to tighter tolerances. ...more

HerlingsFTW wrote:

How?

I said it before, suspension tuning is a black art and my advise is to choose a reputable and experienced suspension guy like Graham Brough or any of the other guys out there and form a relationship with them. It takes time to build and dail the components in order to suit a specific rider. What works for one rider another rider may hate it...

Then you have track terrain and conditions which throw in challenges...it is a never ending progression and with a bonding and understanding with a professional tuner short cuts all the bullshit and you'll be able to achieve the quick route to the base setting required for say Red Bud or Southwick...then the fine tuning starts

Suprisingly, one would be amazed at what magic a good tuner can do with a set of production suspension.

The point here is never jump around from guy to another....a sure way to get lost...nothing good ever comes from that.

Also, make notes of track terrain and conditions, keep notes of every adustment you make and comment to go with it. We call it "Trend Monitoring" and we do it with every bit of the bike....the poor mans telemetry

It's a lot of extra graft but if you race Pro it is imperative that you do it and even as a social rider it will help your progress quicker.

Good luck.

|

Non Gratum Anus Rodentum

3/14/2021 12:44 AM

kieran_macca wrote:

Sure, but you'll never see the money you pour into stock suspension again. It's a no-brainer to go with kit suspension if you can afford the upfront cost of it.

|

Current fleet of two wheeled vehicles:
- KTM SX 250 2020
- Suzuki GSX-R 600 K7 track spec
- Canyon Sender CF 8.0 2018 Downhill
- Canyon Spectral:ON 7.0 2019 EMTB
- White GX Pro 20 Gravel