2021 KX250

kNewc
10/9/2020 4:38am
Random question - I’ve noticed when I sit on one of these (or a new 450) at the dealer with the hydraulic clutch, they have set...
Random question -

I’ve noticed when I sit on one of these (or a new 450) at the dealer with the hydraulic clutch, they have set them all up very funky with the lever way out and weird. I’ve noticed this at multiple dealers. Does anyone have an example of fixing this once you get it home? It seems there’s not a lot of room on the bar.
Mine was sticking out a bit, but there is an adjustment on the lever and I pulled mine back a bit and it's fine to me. I have pretty small hands and I don't have any issues. I do want to get some ASV unbreakables in the future.
mxryan25
10/9/2020 5:12am
JohnMatrix wrote:
I haven't owned or ridden a 250f in several years, but you have me eyeing one of these bikes now. I'm currently on a 250sx, which...
I haven't owned or ridden a 250f in several years, but you have me eyeing one of these bikes now. I'm currently on a 250sx, which I'd keep, but thinking adding this KX would be a ton of fun and easier to put in more laps.
mxryan25 wrote:
I actually picked up a clean 2016 yz250 the other week because I felt having only a 250f wouldn’t be a great idea for how much...
I actually picked up a clean 2016 yz250 the other week because I felt having only a 250f wouldn’t be a great idea for how much I want to ride. I’ll use the yz to do some trail riding, sand tracks, and early in the day when the track is deep then finish out the day on the kx like I did Saturday ! So far I’m loving the 250f / 2 stroke combo, a few years back I had a ‘15 yz250 and 16’ rmz450 but I’m digging this new setup much more Tongue
Shezzy557 wrote:
I'm thinking of doing something similar (currently own a yz250) how do you compare the power/riding experience? I've only ridden 250 2 strokes and 450s
The power delivery on the yz requires more finesse to manage that mid range hit, where the kx can just be ridden balls to the wall without spitting you off. Max pulling power actually feels similar but the yz hits earlier and more quickly and then signs off rather than having a very linear power deliver with most power being produced in the top end like the kx. both of them reward carrying momentum. Ergonomically they’re both comfortable for me and felt easy to transition back and forth, but the chassis , and suspension is quite a bit different. Kx feels stiffer and more planted where the yz is really plush and loose however the different feelings suite it’s bike really well.
10/9/2020 5:32am Edited Date/Time 10/9/2020 5:32am
Some great comments and ride reports in here but anyone have any feedback on how this bike compares with the Honda? We all know the Yamaha power delivery and ergos are nearly polar opposites to the Kawi and the 2 bikes are really not all that alike.

I am curious to know how it stacks up against the Honda as these bikes seem eerily similar with their high reving powerband and super slim/agile ergonomics and cornering prowess.
paddyB745
10/13/2020 7:48pm
Just picked mine up today, very excited to ride it this weekend. What couplers are the favorite so far? Running fine on 91 pump gas?

The Shop

Indy mxer
10/14/2020 4:26am
I just got my 21 250 Friday. Put my ARC levers on from my 19 KX 450. Waiting on graphics and I need to grease it. Ergo's are awesome.
I'll be buying an FMF slip on as soon as they're available. Like all Kawi's, it's annoyingly loud and sounds like it needs repacked. I wish they would fix that issue.

Hopefully I get to ride it this weekend.
So I'll have a bit of feedback for this thread. But I'm a 63 year old B rider, so my opinion may not help anyone. lol
kNewc
10/14/2020 4:35am
paddyB745 wrote:
Just picked mine up today, very excited to ride it this weekend. What couplers are the favorite so far? Running fine on 91 pump gas?
I tried all the couplers this weekend after getting the break-in oil changed. I actually preferred the green stock above all else. Although the white coupler says it's aggressive I felt like it helped the bottom end but took away from the pull at top. I'm used to an old 05 RMZ450 and this thing pulls pretty long in 3rd and I thought the white coupler took some of that away. Maybe it's the VP T4 gas leaning it out too much I'm not sure. I did have a slight decel pop with the white coupler. The black coupler made everything mellow and I didn't really like how it almost felt like it stunted everything. It would be good for very slick conditions. I didn't have any decel pop with the black coupler. This is my first EFI bike, and first 250 4 stroke so I'm sure I'm in for a bit of a learning process.
10/14/2020 5:03am
paddyB745 wrote:
kNewc wrote:
I tried all the couplers this weekend after getting the break-in oil changed. I actually preferred the green stock above all else. Although the white coupler...
I tried all the couplers this weekend after getting the break-in oil changed. I actually preferred the green stock above all else. Although the white coupler says it's aggressive I felt like it helped the bottom end but took away from the pull at top. I'm used to an old 05 RMZ450 and this thing pulls pretty long in 3rd and I thought the white coupler took some of that away. Maybe it's the VP T4 gas leaning it out too much I'm not sure. I did have a slight decel pop with the white coupler. The black coupler made everything mellow and I didn't really like how it almost felt like it stunted everything. It would be good for very slick conditions. I didn't have any decel pop with the black coupler. This is my first EFI bike, and first 250 4 stroke so I'm sure I'm in for a bit of a learning process.
I wonder if running it with pump gas would cure the decel pop? Did you ever try it with pump gas?
kNewc
10/14/2020 5:15am
paddyB745 wrote:
kNewc wrote:
I tried all the couplers this weekend after getting the break-in oil changed. I actually preferred the green stock above all else. Although the white coupler...
I wonder if running it with pump gas would cure the decel pop? Did you ever try it with pump gas?
I did not. Our pump gas in the area always gums up my carbs so I've been trying to stick to T4. Not sure if I'll ever run pump gas in it Silly
mxryan25
10/14/2020 5:22am
I’ve ran pump 93 and 110 turbo blue 50/50 with pump, it’s ran really clean no decel pop or anything like that I remember. Race gas mix seemed to give it a little more pep.I started out with the standard coupler, then ran the white aggressive coupler a little. White gave it a hint of more bottom end grunt but like others said it took away some of that amazing mid to top end pulling power, and made the engine feel more tight and bound up on decel especially. Been back on the standard coupler for a bit now and have no complaints
Indy mxer
10/14/2020 5:27am
kNewc wrote:
kNewc wrote:
I did not. Our pump gas in the area always gums up my carbs so I've been trying to stick to T4. Not sure if I'll...
I did not. Our pump gas in the area always gums up my carbs so I've been trying to stick to T4. Not sure if I'll ever run pump gas in it Silly
That's odd on the pump gas. Lots of FI Kawi's in our group. We all run 93 pump gas and have for years. No issues.
LKHill
10/14/2020 6:14am
paddyB745 wrote:
I am sure some Vmx ninny will want to crush my balls for saying this but the hot set-up so far seems to be a custom map.
kNewc
10/14/2020 6:44am
kNewc wrote:
I did not. Our pump gas in the area always gums up my carbs so I've been trying to stick to T4. Not sure if I'll...
Indy mxer wrote:
That's odd on the pump gas. Lots of FI Kawi's in our group. We all run 93 pump gas and have for years. No issues.
I used to only run premium pump gas as well. There is only 1 non-ethanol pump in our area and it's out of my way, I go to the bike shop more. Since it's my first new bike I decided I'm running nothing but canned gas. I finally have the funds for things like that so may as well pamper it! lol
paddyB745
10/14/2020 6:52am
paddyB745 wrote:
LKHill wrote:
I am sure some Vmx ninny will want to crush my balls for saying this but the hot set-up so far seems to be a custom...
I am sure some Vmx ninny will want to crush my balls for saying this but the hot set-up so far seems to be a custom map.
Totally agree. Both Keefer and MXA said the best map was a mix of the white and black couplers. Gave it some more low end grunt and didn’t lose any of the awesome mid to top. It was something like the fuel settings of the white and ignition of the black.
kNewc
10/14/2020 7:23am
paddyB745 wrote:
LKHill wrote:
I am sure some Vmx ninny will want to crush my balls for saying this but the hot set-up so far seems to be a custom...
paddyB745 wrote:
Totally agree. Both Keefer and MXA said the best map was a mix of the white and black couplers. Gave it some more low end grunt...
Totally agree. Both Keefer and MXA said the best map was a mix of the white and black couplers. Gave it some more low end grunt and didn’t lose any of the awesome mid to top. It was something like the fuel settings of the white and ignition of the black.
I hope to find a friend with a mapper soon myself.
MXBen711
10/24/2020 1:07pm
Just picked mine up, had a bit of a go around it seeing what parts fit from my 2020. I love the feel of this bikes ergos, riding it tomorrow just hope it isn’t too wet!

10/24/2020 2:31pm
While it still clean and pristine, do yourself a favor and grease the steering head and suspension. Way easier to do it now before it gets dirty.
MXBen711
10/24/2020 4:47pm
While it still clean and pristine, do yourself a favor and grease the steering head and suspension. Way easier to do it now before it gets...
While it still clean and pristine, do yourself a favor and grease the steering head and suspension. Way easier to do it now before it gets dirty.
Already done my friend, I will say that this one had more grease in than the last few I got but I don’t rate the grease very much
nwmx
10/25/2020 9:35am
How’s the power compare to a new Honda 250f? I have an 18 Honda and going to get either the kx or yzf. I really like the Honda power and I’m afraid the Yamaha is going to be too much of a change. The kx seems like it would fit better..
Indy mxer
10/26/2020 5:08am
Finally got to spin some laps on mine yesterday. Coming off a 19 KX 450. As expected the suspension was stiff but was getting better all day. I'll be sending it off to FC over the winter since I weigh 152 and need lighter springs. They did my 450 and it was awesome.

Bike was really good. Had plenty of power, especially down low where I like to ride.
But I'm a 63 year old vet rider. So take that into account. lol

And yes, like all Kawi's it's annoyingly loud. I can't figure out how such a big silencer sounds so bad?
I'll be putting on an FMF slip on as soon as they're avilable.
Skerby
10/26/2020 7:41am
Every new kawi I have ever rode in the PNW has had a decel pop.
kNewc
10/26/2020 9:25am
MXBen711 wrote:
Just picked mine up, had a bit of a go around it seeing what parts fit from my 2020. I love the feel of this bikes...
Just picked mine up, had a bit of a go around it seeing what parts fit from my 2020. I love the feel of this bikes ergos, riding it tomorrow just hope it isn’t too wet!

Sick! Are those the ARC levers for the 2019+ KX450? I'm trying to find which part numbers to order.

Also I'm surprised you didn't try the stock triple clamps or suspension. Was it just because that suspension is already set for you?
mxryan25
10/26/2020 9:48am
kNewc wrote:
Sick! Are those the ARC levers for the 2019+ KX450? I'm trying to find which part numbers to order. Also I'm surprised you didn't try the...
Sick! Are those the ARC levers for the 2019+ KX450? I'm trying to find which part numbers to order.

Also I'm surprised you didn't try the stock triple clamps or suspension. Was it just because that suspension is already set for you?
Yes, 250 / 450 levers are the same
mxryan25
10/26/2020 10:01am
Recently mounted up some twinwalls and swapped out the rubber bar mount cones for zeta rubber killers, now i can tip over without heading back to the pits 😀 didn’t notice any extra vibration either, 10/10 would recommend. Looking forward to throwing more parts/bling at it over the winter Cool

MXBen711
10/26/2020 10:07am
MXBen711 wrote:
Just picked mine up, had a bit of a go around it seeing what parts fit from my 2020. I love the feel of this bikes...

kNewc wrote:
Sick! Are those the ARC levers for the 2019+ KX450? I'm trying to find which part numbers to order. Also I'm surprised you didn't try the...

Yeah the levers are from the 450, bolted straight up

Some of this stuff carried over from my 2020, engine plugs, pegs, gear lever, water pump kit

I just bought the forks and really wanted to put them in as they look awesome

I changed some things immediately based on the last few Kawis, mainly lowering the pegs and changing the lower chain roller
kNewc
10/26/2020 10:42am
MXBen711 wrote:

kNewc wrote:

MXBen711 wrote:
Yeah the levers are from the 450, bolted straight up Some of this stuff carried over from my 2020, engine plugs, pegs, gear lever, water pump...
Yeah the levers are from the 450, bolted straight up

Some of this stuff carried over from my 2020, engine plugs, pegs, gear lever, water pump kit

I just bought the forks and really wanted to put them in as they look awesome

I changed some things immediately based on the last few Kawis, mainly lowering the pegs and changing the lower chain roller
I really like the looks of it, the number shrouds turned out awesome! Did you go to a '16 chain roller? I see a lot of guys say to replace it.
10/26/2020 11:06am
Indy mxer wrote:
Finally got to spin some laps on mine yesterday. Coming off a 19 KX 450. As expected the suspension was stiff but was getting better all...
Finally got to spin some laps on mine yesterday. Coming off a 19 KX 450. As expected the suspension was stiff but was getting better all day. I'll be sending it off to FC over the winter since I weigh 152 and need lighter springs. They did my 450 and it was awesome.

Bike was really good. Had plenty of power, especially down low where I like to ride.

And yes, like all Kawi's it's annoyingly loud. I can't figure out how such a big silencer sounds so bad?
Check to make sure that FMF muffler is rubber mounted. If not, you might want to go with a different brand. Check the KX450 thread to see why.
dmm698
10/26/2020 11:19am
Indy mxer wrote:
Finally got to spin some laps on mine yesterday. Coming off a 19 KX 450. As expected the suspension was stiff but was getting better all...

Check to make sure that FMF muffler is rubber mounted. If not, you might want to go with a different brand. Check the KX450 thread to...
Check to make sure that FMF muffler is rubber mounted. If not, you might want to go with a different brand. Check the KX450 thread to see why.
weird - the 19 kx450's are like absurdly quiet in stock trim. Mine sounds like a sewing machine stock next to two boeing 747's running when friends bikes are near with an FMF / PC pipe.
Indy mxer
10/26/2020 1:21pm
Indy mxer wrote:

Check to make sure that FMF muffler is rubber mounted. If not, you might want to go with a different brand. Check the KX450 thread to...
I had an FMF on my 19 KX 450 (see profile pic on the left) and no issues, but a friends frame broke with one on it. Didn't happen to all of them.

I'm hoping my 21 is beefed up a bit.
Indy mxer
10/26/2020 1:24pm
Indy mxer wrote:

dmm698 wrote:
weird - the 19 kx450's are like absurdly quiet in stock trim. Mine sounds like a sewing machine stock next to two boeing 747's running when...
weird - the 19 kx450's are like absurdly quiet in stock trim. Mine sounds like a sewing machine stock next to two boeing 747's running when friends bikes are near with an FMF / PC pipe.
That's funny. You're the first person I've heard call a Kawi quiet. lol
They've been like this for years. Sound like they need repacked.
But either way I like the FMF.
Markopolo400
10/26/2020 2:03pm
Ask anyone with a 19+ KX450 with the stock exhaust. It's silent, mine included. By far the quietest bike on the track.

Post a reply to: 2021 KX250

The Latest