KX 250 2021 Maps

taviobr
12/2/2020 7:02am
I was reading Keefers review on the KX 2021 and he suggests a map to increase pulling power out of area 3 of corners as well as give you more mid-top end stretch in 2-3rd gears.

He already posted the same map twice, 1st in october and now in late november. The first time he said to use the black coupler with that map, now he is saying to use the green coupler, but the maps are exactly the same.

Does it make any difference what coupler I use, considering that I'm changing all fuel and ignition settings?

october article: https://www.keeferinctesting.com/motocross-testing/2020/10/6/2021-kawas…

november article: https://www.keeferinctesting.com/motocross-testing/2020/11/29/top-5-mod…
|
mxryan25
12/2/2020 11:14am
Yeah I don’t quite pick up on that either, don’t think the efi settings care what color the plug is Huh
RGaede
12/2/2020 12:30pm
On kawis there are 3 maps in the ecu. The plugs are just different resistances to tell the ecu which map to use. Green is an open circuit (not sure about the other two). Just remap whatever map you don't like. On my 450 i actually liked the stock map with the black plug, so i mapped the keefer map to the white plug.
osheen
2/2/2021 9:41pm
I have the calibration tool. I'm still learning about it. I wish there was a good, accurate tutorial on how the calibration unit and mapping actually works. What I do know is that the basic map inside is carved in stone. The couplers are just variants to that map. From the factory, the green coupler is all zeros, the white and black couplers have predetermined data that is plus or minus for soft or hard terrain (or whatever you want to call it) They only let you change the data so much so you can't damage the engine.

When you change the settings, say you have white coupler installed and you apply that data. Now the white coupler is whatever you just did, You can change the green coupler settings to whatever you want too and the white and black are not affected by it. So you do have 3 different "maps" to choose. I think it's best to leave green alone at all zeros then you can make 2 different maps with black and white and have the original green map to compare to.

I'm not sure what Keefer was saying about which coupler to use with his map. You take those settings of his FI and IG maps and apply them to whatever coupler color you want to use. The remaining 2 couplers will be whatever they have previously been programmed to and have no bearing on his...

The manual that comes with unit is convoluted and redundant. it seems like it goes on and on and its not specific as to how couplers work, that you should select what coupler you want to apply map to. Someone could probably make a good procedure that fits on one page that is simple and easy to follow.

The couplers are just jumper wires that tell ecu which data (map) to use. The green is also a jumper. If you have nothing connected it defaults to green map though. There must be a coupler installed to connect to FI unit.

Hope this might clear up some confusion.
wrc777
Fantasy
1130th
2/3/2021 5:23am
The question I have is the green coupler actually a 4th map? What I mean is if running no coupler is the base map maybe the green can be modified and then if you unplug the coupler you get the all 0s map. I say this because the green has a jumper. Why would it if all it needs to do is keep dirt out of the plug?

When you load up the factory white or black map does it show the factory settings to those couplers or does it show all 0s?

The Shop

osheen
2/3/2021 6:40am
wrc777 wrote:
The question I have is the green coupler actually a 4th map? What I mean is if running no coupler is the base map maybe the...
The question I have is the green coupler actually a 4th map? What I mean is if running no coupler is the base map maybe the green can be modified and then if you unplug the coupler you get the all 0s map. I say this because the green has a jumper. Why would it if all it needs to do is keep dirt out of the plug?

When you load up the factory white or black map does it show the factory settings to those couplers or does it show all 0s?
If you don't plug green coupler in and have no coupler at all it will default to whatever the green was previously mapped at. If it was all zeros then thats what it will be. If you changed green to something custom that's what it will be, even if not there....
Now that I say that, I have no way to prove it. If you don't have a coupler installed at all, the cal unit will not connect to ecu and give you a fault. So you can't see exactly what's current in ecu without a coupler. and if you unplug coupler after connection, the unit will fault out. So the calibration unit has to see a connection to connect and that's probably why the green coupler also has a jumper.... if any of that makes sense...

What I could do is make a hideous map and program it for the green coupler. Go ride it and see how it feels. Then unplug it and ride it again. If it feels different, like back to all zeros green coupler feeling, then that would indicate that it does revert back to all zeros with no coupler installed. The manual does say it defaults to green map with nothing connected but doesn't say anything if that holds true after green map is changed.

The black and white couplers are not all zeros from factory. they have changed data. When Kawasaki's Mike Chavez came up with his map for Keefer and the magazines he used the FUEL setting from one coupler and IGN settings from the other coupler and put them on the green map (I think). If you used white or black after that they would still be as they originally were with no affect from changed green.

I don't know why MXA and others call black mellow and white aggressive. The black has more low end power and gives up top end. The white gives up low end but has more top end. Kaw themselves refer to them as hard surface or soft surface... It gets confusing...
dancolvin633
Fantasy
2171st
2/20/2022 9:16pm
If you unplug the coupler and have nothing connected in the bike it reverts back to the stock oem base map, as if you had a “stock” green coupler.
cbird
2/20/2022 9:30pm
If you unplug the coupler and have nothing connected in the bike it reverts back to the stock oem base map, as if you had a...
If you unplug the coupler and have nothing connected in the bike it reverts back to the stock oem base map, as if you had a “stock” green coupler.
I see! Didn’t know if the ecu would save what the green coupler was programmed to or if it would revert back to “stock”
Appreciate the info!
7/7/2022 10:21pm
Gonna revive this thread again!

Is there a company that - for a fee - can flash the ECU to the 'Chavez' map that is constantly mentioned? I don't want to buy the calibration tool just to upload a single map.

Just getting back into dirt bikes after roadracing for the last decade, and there are a ton of companies that can flash an ECU depending on what you're trying to do. Would love to pay a one-time fee to do the same thing to my KX250 for a more reasonable price than purchasing the official calibration tool.

uncledaddy69
Fantasy
803rd
7/8/2022 7:54am
Gonna revive this thread again! Is there a company that - for a fee - can flash the ECU to the 'Chavez' map that is constantly...

Is there a company that - for a fee - can flash the ECU to the 'Chavez' map that is constantly mentioned? I don't want to buy the calibration tool just to upload a single map.

Just getting back into dirt bikes after roadracing for the last decade, and there are a ton of companies that can flash an ECU depending on what you're trying to do. Would love to pay a one-time fee to do the same thing to my KX250 for a more reasonable price than purchasing the official calibration tool.

If you give Tokyo Mods the values for the Chavez map, I’m sure they’ll do it.
osheen
7/8/2022 8:07am
Gonna revive this thread again! Is there a company that - for a fee - can flash the ECU to the 'Chavez' map that is constantly...

You might ask around to see if you can find a local guy that will re-map it for you for a small fee. When I had my recalibration tool I did a few for people and I was going to advertise that I would re map for $50. But then I sold the tool.
It seems like Kawasaki themselves would offer this service.

Tokyo mods wants $200 to re map. But I'm sure they will insist that they have a better map...
paddyB745
7/8/2022 8:14am
Not to spam this thread but I have a vortex mapped by twisted for sale. Best upgrade you can do to this bike imo.
uncledaddy69
Fantasy
803rd
7/8/2022 8:17am

osheen wrote:
You might ask around to see if you can find a local guy that will re-map it for you for a small fee. When I had...
You might ask around to see if you can find a local guy that will re-map it for you for a small fee. When I had my recalibration tool I did a few for people and I was going to advertise that I would re map for $50. But then I sold the tool.

Tokyo mods wants $200 to re map. But I'm sure they will insist that they have a better map...
They just did mine for $100
osheen
7/8/2022 8:19am

osheen wrote:
You might ask around to see if you can find a local guy that will re-map it for you for a small fee. When I had...

Tokyo ? I saw it was $200 before I bought the tool .... over a year ago....
osheen
7/8/2022 8:25am
paddyB745 wrote:
Not to spam this thread but I have a vortex mapped by twisted for sale. Best upgrade you can do to this bike imo.
I talked to Jamie Ellis quite a bit about ECUs. He said you can only do so much with the stock unit. He said he couldn't really even improve on the Chavez map. But the Vortex opens the whole thing up and can make much better improvements. I would agree that the Vortex is the best mod that can be done. I've had them on my pre-efi bikes and I have one on my YZ125 now.
cbird
7/8/2022 9:46am

If you’re close to Dallas, Texas. I have the tool from Kawasaki and can do so for you.
uncledaddy69
Fantasy
803rd
7/8/2022 9:55am
osheen wrote:

osheen wrote:
Tokyo ? I saw it was $200 before I bought the tool .... over a year ago....
Yes. Like two weeks ago. I live nearby and brought it to the shop myself. Not sure if that had anything to do with the cheaper price.
7/8/2022 10:28am
If you give Tokyo Mods the values for the Chavez map, I’m sure they’ll do it.
Thanks! Seems like a good option. They're pretty local to me as well, and $100 would be a super reasonable price. Even $200 seems fair.

The roadracing bikes are a lot more, but those are typically custom tunes with lots more options / variables to tune.
7/8/2022 10:29am
cbird wrote:
If you’re close to Dallas, Texas. I have the tool from Kawasaki and can do so for you.
Generous offer, thanks! I'm in Southern California, though.

I am less than 30 minutes from Pro Circuit and have my suspension there right now, and I need to pick it up next week. I might be able to have them do it as well!

Post a reply to: KX 250 2021 Maps

The Latest