KTM statement: No Herlings in AMA Nationals

3/21/2019 11:44am
just James wrote:
That's precisely the type of "ugly" I was referring to.
Jeffrey may not have the final say in this, but he has a lot of leverage.
Bidirella wrote:
He can drop the bomb and tell KTM, Let me race the outdoors or I wont resign after 2020. Wonder what the answer of KTM will...
He can drop the bomb and tell KTM, Let me race the outdoors or I wont resign after 2020.

Wonder what the answer of KTM will be Haha LaughingLaughing
He knows what side his bread is buttered.
visser62
3/21/2019 11:56am
loftyair wrote:
If Japan and Austria had a choice, would they rather win the national or gp championship?
Nuffsaid wrote:
I think Japan would be happy to win anything, Austria wins Nationals every year worldwide
Really? Because they haven't won the AMA Nationals since 2015.
3/21/2019 12:03pm
There needs to be a clause in his contract then. IF Cairoli gets hurt you must come back to Europe and race the GP's to continue...
There needs to be a clause in his contract then. IF Cairoli gets hurt you must come back to Europe and race the GP's to continue KTM's representation in the MXGP class.

mattyhamz2 wrote:
Their goal is a championship. If AC gets hurt, they want to have Herlings in a position to take over. He can't do that racing in...
Their goal is a championship. If AC gets hurt, they want to have Herlings in a position to take over. He can't do that racing in the US then switching over.

I personally think that he could come back from a 100 point deficit. It's a 19 round series spread out over like 6 or 7 months. Anything could happen to anyone. Herlings still has a shot at that title.
If the goal is a championship then it's the AMA Nationals. With the races he's missing he has a much much much much much better shot...
If the goal is a championship then it's the AMA Nationals. With the races he's missing he has a much much much much much better shot at that title.
It's an "ifs and buts" argument. Herlings could yardsale himself out of secondary contention before this hypothetical Cairoli injury ever happens.
3/21/2019 12:04pm
Sucks, that no one in their prime will go over to the GP's or a real top dog come here. (Everts, Cairoli, Herlings)

Tomac to GP's in 2020 would be fun to watch.

I don't think he would be as competitive as Herlings coming here though.

The Shop

RichieW13
Fantasy
2889th
3/21/2019 12:05pm
tek14 wrote:
What if Web or Musquin gets hurt... or both.
Why do so many people spell it "Web"? Is there a joke I missed?
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
760th
3/21/2019 12:07pm
tek14 wrote:
RichieW13 wrote:
Why do so many people spell it "Web"? Is there a joke I missed?
I'm going to guess a good chunk of it is being posted from phones and is being autocorrected.
Freddy
3/21/2019 12:33pm
Wow imagine the great battles Jeffrey and Tony will have, with Tony letting Jeffrey go because he has too much to lose racing against someone alot faster than everyone else who doesnt have anything to lose and then puts an asterix next to his tenth championship. No wait.

Bad move ktm, from a fans perspective.
3/21/2019 12:35pm
Bummed was really looking forward to this season, damn that Spanish track
Nats would have made up for that
3/21/2019 12:40pm
really hoped KTM would make it happen ...Herlings being fit at the start of AMA outdoors was a big questionmark , but now he has all the time .. also means as long as Cairoli stays fit , i wont be surprised to see Herlings going to AMA for one or two races ... hope he gets that done , so we get to see some of the battles we were hoping for ...

who knows in future ...he is only 24 and with Cairoli out in 1 or 2 years there wont be much competition left
neverwas
Fantasy
868th
3/21/2019 12:42pm
Boomslang wrote:
How many riders have won both the 450 world championship and the US outdoors? I know Albertyn did it back in the day (2T) Herlings had...
How many riders have won both the 450 world championship and the US outdoors?

I know Albertyn did it back in the day (2T)

Herlings had a legit chance until Beier put his foot down.
Brad Lackey won the US 500 National championship in 1972 and the 500 World Championship in 1982
Boomslang
Fantasy
657th
3/21/2019 12:48pm
Boomslang wrote:
How many riders have won both the 450 world championship and the US outdoors? I know Albertyn did it back in the day (2T) Herlings had...
How many riders have won both the 450 world championship and the US outdoors?

I know Albertyn did it back in the day (2T)

Herlings had a legit chance until Beier put his foot down.
neverwas wrote:
Brad Lackey won the US 500 National championship in 1972 and the 500 World Championship in 1982
Thanks china, never knew that.
3/21/2019 1:12pm
There is a gap for Southwick!

LOL how much does he win by there?
Boomslang
Fantasy
657th
3/21/2019 1:16pm
There is a gap for Southwick!

LOL how much does he win by there?
Probably better that we never find out. One will never hear the end of it...
T-Fish
Fantasy
199th
3/21/2019 1:23pm
I honestly thought it was a no-brainer for KTM to send him here. Yes, Tomac is fast, but he’s still very inconsistent. KTM, in my opinion, would have a legitimate chance to fill the overall podium with Musquin, Webb, and Herlings. Baggett can’t be counted out either, really. I felt this possibility and the advertising that could come with finish first through third would have been enough for KTM to give a green light.
3/21/2019 1:48pm
This is going to make the GPs a bit boring, Cairoli isn't even going to try against Herlings if he's not got a chance at the title.
I hope Gasjer can step it up this year.
Frank
3/21/2019 2:56pm
To those who posted they will not be attending us nationals or buying KTM's because of this..............go fuck yourself.

If you are that down on Tomac, Roczen, Musquin, Webb, Barcia, Bagget, etc that you feel they don't provide entertainment in motocross you are not an American. Sure there are 30 lappers in a 40 rider field but its only a national series.

This country is far from the greatest in the world at this point but to write it off because an injured mxgp guy is not coming over is a disgrace.

Long live the us nationals.
3/21/2019 3:11pm
tek14 wrote:
What if Webb or Musquin can’t handle Tomac?
They are handling him pretty good so far this year based on the points.....
mxb2
3/21/2019 3:26pm
Frank wrote:
To those who posted they will not be attending us nationals or buying KTM's because of this..............go fuck yourself. If you are that down on Tomac...
To those who posted they will not be attending us nationals or buying KTM's because of this..............go fuck yourself.

If you are that down on Tomac, Roczen, Musquin, Webb, Barcia, Bagget, etc that you feel they don't provide entertainment in motocross you are not an American. Sure there are 30 lappers in a 40 rider field but its only a national series.

This country is far from the greatest in the world at this point but to write it off because an injured mxgp guy is not coming over is a disgrace.

Bingo. Fairweather fans. I saw him at ironman , glad i went. But also went to 4 other nationals and a sx. Now is their chance to go watch him in europe if they want to see him so bad. But pretty sure another excuse will pop up.
Lucifa.
3/21/2019 3:29pm
Frank wrote:
To those who posted they will not be attending us nationals or buying KTM's because of this..............go fuck yourself. If you are that down on Tomac...

I'm not an American and I wont be going to see a national this year so go fuck yourself frank.

Long live hairy woman, Speights and the All Blacks
3/21/2019 3:38pm
Sucks, that no one in their prime will go over to the GP's or a real top dog come here. (Everts, Cairoli, Herlings) Tomac to GP's...
Sucks, that no one in their prime will go over to the GP's or a real top dog come here. (Everts, Cairoli, Herlings)

Tomac to GP's in 2020 would be fun to watch.

I don't think he would be as competitive as Herlings coming here though.

Pichon, Tortelli, Vuillemin, Townley, Albertyn, Rattray all came to the USA in their prime and were contenders actually i’d Go as far to say as if these guys didn’t come over maybe Everts doesn’t have 10 titles
GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
3/21/2019 3:50pm
PR...

HERLINGS LOOKING AT RETURN TO MXGP DUTY IN MAY
2019 motocross news

MXGP World Champion Jeffrey Herlings will step-up his physical training regime in the coming weeks in anticipation of a return to the saddle of his Red Bull KTM 450 SX-F in late April and FIM MXGP Motocross World Championship action shortly after.

The Dutchman made a visit to Munderfing and KTM Race HQ this week in Austria to plan a tentative schedule in the wake of a complex operation on his broken right foot. In consultation with the factory Red Bull KTM team, race management and medical experts Herlings could be riding his #84 machine by late April. Much depends on the healing process but the 24 year old is already able to train harder and with more flexibility after having his initial protective cast replaced three weeks ago.

The four-times World Champion is certain to miss Grands Prix in Britain, Holland and Italy (four rounds in total) but will then hopefully be counting the days until he can again be behind a FIM World Championship gate, and join his Red Bull KTM teammates with Tony Cairoli and Jorge Prado currently holding the red plates of both MXGP and MX2 classes.

Jeffrey Herlings: “Rehab has been going very well and I cannot wait to be back and to throw a leg over the bike again. I want to be back at the GPs as quick as possible but we cannot say which race yet until I get some riding time. I’m also able to step-up my cycling and swimming now. For sure we’ll miss the next three rounds and we also don't want to rush things and risk a setback."

Robert Jonas, KTM VP of Offroad: “It is good to see that Jeffrey is making progress and we can perhaps see the end of this unfortunate injury that was so disruptive to our 2019 plans. It will be a big boost for us and the team to have Jeffrey back, fit and happy in MXGP. He is a very important rider for an important team for us in MXGP.”
Gus
3/21/2019 3:51pm
Gus wrote:
I have never been to a national but Herlings coming over had me planning to go.
You need to attend one regardless! Seeing these guys up close and personal in the outdoors is hard to describe other than to say TV doesn't...
You need to attend one regardless! Seeing these guys up close and personal in the outdoors is hard to describe other than to say TV doesn't do it justice.
I’m pretty sure I’m gonna go to Budds Creek. It’s an easy drive. My wife was actually interested in going to a national and when the Herlings rumor got going I got interested. I have no clue what to expect! But we’re lookkng. She asked about Southwick but I’d rather hit one I can drive to and Southwick is 9 hours.... little far for me to drive with the wife and son.
JD35
3/21/2019 4:07pm
Totally get why some of you are a bit stirred about Herlings not racing the nationals. BUT, you have to realise that it’s in KTM’s best interest to have Jeffrey to race the GPs (sponsors, fans). After all, people come to the races and watch the races to see Herlings ride.
aeffertz
3/21/2019 4:58pm
GuyB wrote:
PR... HERLINGS LOOKING AT RETURN TO MXGP DUTY IN MAY 2019 motocross news MXGP World Champion Jeffrey Herlings will step-up his physical training regime in the...
PR...

HERLINGS LOOKING AT RETURN TO MXGP DUTY IN MAY
2019 motocross news

MXGP World Champion Jeffrey Herlings will step-up his physical training regime in the coming weeks in anticipation of a return to the saddle of his Red Bull KTM 450 SX-F in late April and FIM MXGP Motocross World Championship action shortly after.

The Dutchman made a visit to Munderfing and KTM Race HQ this week in Austria to plan a tentative schedule in the wake of a complex operation on his broken right foot. In consultation with the factory Red Bull KTM team, race management and medical experts Herlings could be riding his #84 machine by late April. Much depends on the healing process but the 24 year old is already able to train harder and with more flexibility after having his initial protective cast replaced three weeks ago.

The four-times World Champion is certain to miss Grands Prix in Britain, Holland and Italy (four rounds in total) but will then hopefully be counting the days until he can again be behind a FIM World Championship gate, and join his Red Bull KTM teammates with Tony Cairoli and Jorge Prado currently holding the red plates of both MXGP and MX2 classes.

Jeffrey Herlings: “Rehab has been going very well and I cannot wait to be back and to throw a leg over the bike again. I want to be back at the GPs as quick as possible but we cannot say which race yet until I get some riding time. I’m also able to step-up my cycling and swimming now. For sure we’ll miss the next three rounds and we also don't want to rush things and risk a setback."

Robert Jonas, KTM VP of Offroad: “It is good to see that Jeffrey is making progress and we can perhaps see the end of this unfortunate injury that was so disruptive to our 2019 plans. It will be a big boost for us and the team to have Jeffrey back, fit and happy in MXGP. He is a very important rider for an important team for us in MXGP.”

?
Beeby
3/21/2019 5:05pm
kb228 wrote:
You could argue that he would get more attention by racing marvin tomac roczen and webb though. All those guys are on cairoli and herlings level
Beeby wrote:
That’s not how it works. You spend a long time wining and dining potential sponsors and selling them on the prestige of the MXGP and on...
That’s not how it works. You spend a long time wining and dining potential sponsors and selling them on the prestige of the MXGP and on corporate hospitality. You don’t then abandon that for another series on the other side of the world, regardless of who is in it.
kb228 wrote:
That makes sense. I cant help but think a national title and wins vs the top riders racing in the us will give more attention than...
That makes sense. I cant help but think a national title and wins vs the top riders racing in the us will give more attention than only wins against cairoli. Sponsorship at the end of the day is advertising. Is it not? Advertise where you get the most attention
The brands they are sponsored by are World championship focused brands. They want global exposure, not one country.

The US market for motocross is tiny compared to the rest of the world.

Not to mention the sponsors expect things in return like hospitality options at races. In the world championship.

The AMA nationals just aren’t big enough
rohleder644
3/21/2019 5:33pm
I guess I don't understand who benefits from herlings coming over. The fans for sure and I'd say the AMA national series. Who else?
zehn
3/21/2019 5:36pm
Beeby wrote:
The brands they are sponsored by are World championship focused brands. They want global exposure, not one country. The US market for motocross is tiny compared...
The brands they are sponsored by are World championship focused brands. They want global exposure, not one country.

Not to mention the sponsors expect things in return like hospitality options at races. In the world championship.

“The US market for motocross is tiny compared to the rest of the world.”

Uh.... try again
Park Boys
Fantasy
53rd
3/21/2019 5:51pm
Beeby wrote:
The brands they are sponsored by are World championship focused brands. They want global exposure, not one country. The US market for motocross is tiny compared...

??
Press516
Fantasy
111th
3/21/2019 6:03pm
Exactly what most of us expected... but not what most of us had hoped for.

Post a reply to: KTM statement: No Herlings in AMA Nationals

The Latest