KTM spending $570 million on developing electric bikes?

Related:
Create New Tag

2/6/2019 4:12 PM

Page 23 of February MXA.
Photo

|

2/6/2019 4:17 PM

That’s okay, I’ll be dead pretty soon anyway.

|

2/6/2019 4:19 PM

Ebikes are gonna be big. Real big, but these are dir transportation.

|

sponsored by zip tie, JB weld and peanut butter and jelly

2/6/2019 5:00 PM

Strange that an Alta deal couldn't be reached if this number is being thrown around. Although I wonder if " light E bike" is like the Harley concept floating around?

|

2/6/2019 5:36 PM

KTM R&D unofficially has atleast 2 Altas according to my secret source, which isn't a surprise.

|

2/6/2019 5:44 PM

I don't know the entire back story on all the companies doing this , like KTM , Harley , what Alta did......but to me , standing on the outside , it looks like Alta got raped in their design. Bought out and discarded. They are the one's who brought this to the limelight in this sport , and they'll be thrown to the wayside because they weren't big enough to compete against the big manufacture's. It wasn't like the Cannondale thing , where the bike was a pile of crap. The Alta was a really good bike , and we'll probably never hear from them again.

|

And there goes Jeffro. One of God's own prototypes. A super high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Pimpin' Ho's , Rollin' fatty's......drinkin' beers , beers , beers!! ~ Ja

2/6/2019 6:10 PM

The only thing Altas needed were better suspension settings. Unless you ask the Baja 1000 riders who can't comprehend the fact that the bike wasn't designed for long rides. Best bike I've ever owned, and my neighbors are not bothered by it when they are eating dinner.

|

2/6/2019 6:13 PM

mikec265 wrote:

KTM R&D unofficially has atleast 2 Altas according to my secret source, which isn't a surprise.

All the OEMS have looked at them.

|

2/6/2019 6:37 PM

I think I heard all of their 2020 50cc dirtbikes will be electric, I wonder how electric bikes do in limewater?

|

2/6/2019 6:38 PM

Anyone here ridden the KTM E-Ride?

|

2/6/2019 6:44 PM

NITRODOG wrote:

I think I heard all of their 2020 50cc dirtbikes will be electric, I wonder how electric bikes do in limewater?

I heard that too, but I can't see them just giving Cobra a 100% monopoly on fast 50s.

|

2/6/2019 6:54 PM

Fact:
pigs will gracefully glide through the moonlit sky before I buy an electric vehicle.

|

ride

2/6/2019 7:31 PM

I hope they make a 70 so I can rip around my yard without the neighbors getting mad

|

2/6/2019 7:44 PM

Shocking

|

2/6/2019 7:47 PM

Harv_Mushman wrote:

Anyone here ridden the KTM E-Ride?

I have a Freeride E-XC, and it's a truly great bike. It's a bit under-suspended and under-braked, yes, but you can turn a fast lap on it just the same - no sweat - because it feels so incredibly, unbelievably, nimble. Almost like a BMX bike. I've become a much better rider on my other "normal" bikes because of it, as have all my buds who've spent time on it. Everyone who sees it laughs it off as a novelty......... until they ride it. Like the Alta, one ride and you know you're looking into the future, and that there's nothing to fear about what's coming - 'cause it's gonna be wicked cool.

|

2/6/2019 7:58 PM

Silas444 wrote:

I have a Freeride E-XC, and it's a truly great bike. It's a bit under-suspended and under-braked, yes, but you can turn a fast ...more

I'm interested!

|

2/6/2019 8:19 PM

gnarwhip wrote:

I hope they make a 70 so I can rip around my yard without the neighbors getting mad

I hope 65 and 85cc equivalents are coming. Almost no maintenance and riding while the neighbors are eating dinner without bothering them is awesome.
I love plugging my Alta into the wall outlet instead of making so many trips for expensive race gas.
I still ride my gas bikes while the neighbors are at work, but it's so nice to ride MORE without bothering them.

|

2/6/2019 8:27 PM

mikec265 wrote:

Derek Harris wrote:

All the OEMS have looked at them.

Which is probably the exact reason no one bought Alta, once they realized Alta wasn’t doing anything that special they knew they could develop their own e-dirtbikes just as good if not better.

|

2/6/2019 8:48 PM

stillwelding wrote:

That’s okay, I’ll be dead pretty soon anyway.

Hey.... Stop that shit.
You got a lot of welding left in you !

|

2/7/2019 2:57 AM

Just glad I got to try out one of their demo dual sport bikes in the middle of town before they shut down. Such a fun bike that would have totally got me into trouble if I had it in my hands any longer.

|

MORGANTOWNPOWERSPORTS.COM

2/7/2019 3:16 AM

Once they get the weight down, ebikes will outperform gas. They can generate so much torque and they can control the motor at very high rates. When Elon Musk when interviewed by Joe Rogan he was saying they can do crazy things with control of electric motors. Essentially send 1000 unique signals to the motor every second with it responding. Gas engines are relatively very slow to respond to inputs where electric is essentially instantaneous.

|

2/7/2019 3:39 AM

I'll buy one if they lower the weight, add a second battery (that can be swapped in 2 min, so that I can do two 30 min rides) and come at the price of a current fourstroke.
Their benefits (no engine wear and maintenance, no bent radiators or exhausts..) and simplicity will prevail.

|

2/7/2019 3:55 AM

jeffro503 wrote:

I don't know the entire back story on all the companies doing this , like KTM , Harley , what Alta did......but to me , ...more

I think you're right, and it's very sad...

|

2020 YZ450F
2006 YZ125
2013 YZ 250F special edition
2017 YZ 250
2015 YZ 250f soecial edition
2019 KTM 85 big wheel
1979 YZ 250

2/7/2019 4:00 AM

PRM31 wrote:

Once they get the weight down, ebikes will outperform gas. They can generate so much torque and they can control the motor at ...more

Pulse width modulation??

|

2020 YZ450F
2006 YZ125
2013 YZ 250F special edition
2017 YZ 250
2015 YZ 250f soecial edition
2019 KTM 85 big wheel
1979 YZ 250

2/7/2019 4:27 AM

user760a wrote:

Fact:
pigs will gracefully glide through the moonlit sky before I buy an electric vehicle.

Fact: You sound like a toddler who refuses to wear a coat when it’s cold outside.

|

2/7/2019 5:18 AM

This could lead to inner city sx parks just like there are skateparks. This could be the best thing to ever happen to the sport.

|

2/7/2019 7:03 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/7/2019 7:10 AM

user760a wrote:

Fact:

observeroffacts wrote:

Fact: You sound like a toddler who refuses to wear a coat when it’s cold outside.

or a person who does not like a silly new style of overpriced coat. One that looks like a burlap sack yet costs 50 percent more than a decent coat. A coat that keeps you warm for a half hour and then has to be removed and reheated for up for 10 hours . do I sound like that person?

|

ride

2/7/2019 7:49 AM

user760a wrote:

Fact:

observeroffacts wrote:

user760a wrote:

or a person who does not like a silly new style of overpriced coat. One that looks like a burlap sack yet costs 50 percent ...more

You could have the silly new style coat that you neighbors don't complain about and can wear right outside your house. But you settled for already paid for coat, that your neighbors despise and you have to drive an hour to go wear it.

|

2/7/2019 8:12 AM

E is the future if we have one

Saddens me, Ill quit when it comes. Gas is more exciting and interesting

The battery tech is the largest hurdle, as the motor power and tech is easily all there power, size and weight

Lot of jobs go away once e comes

|

2/7/2019 8:31 AM

drt410 wrote:

This could lead to inner city sx parks just like there are skateparks. This could be the best thing to ever happen to the ...more

I've said it many times before and I will say it again.. Dust will still be an issue and will continue to keep tracks from being built within cities. Can't forget that.

|

2017 RMZ450
2005 YZ250-sold :,(
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

80% of the time it works every time
IG @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals