KTM sells "Italian" engine designs to GasGas

dcg141
Edited Date/Time 3/3/2014 3:04am
KTM is selling the older Husqvarna engine tech to GasGas. Its interesting because KTM has said in the past they wanted to help strengthen the Euro motorcycle business. Probably because through WP they are supplying a lot of components to everyone in Europe. KTM sells tech to GasGas
|
blumx357
3/1/2014 10:02pm
Good to see KTM a)monetizing that IP and b) keeping that IP from vanishing from history by letting someone else manufacture and profit from it. So very different from the Japanese approach to IP, very commendable.
3/2/2014 1:31am
The old stuff I presume?

Too bad they didn't acquire the stuff that was in development. Im under the impression that all the designs were held onto by BMW and scrapped. Really nice stuff was set to be released.
dcg141
3/2/2014 3:01pm
The old stuff I presume? Too bad they didn't acquire the stuff that was in development. Im under the impression that all the designs were held...
The old stuff I presume?

Too bad they didn't acquire the stuff that was in development. Im under the impression that all the designs were held onto by BMW and scrapped. Really nice stuff was set to be released.
I guess only KTM and BMW know the answer to what actually transpired with that deal. Neither one is saying much beyond the obvious.
OriolMassot
3/2/2014 3:05pm
Very interesting. I'm glad the catalan brand has some money to invest on new engines. The last 4T made by GasGas ended up almost bankrupt for them and the bikes they made for the Dakar used Yamaha Engines.

Don't be surprised if we see those engines also on the newest Ossa bikes, as they did an agreement and both catalan brands will share equipment and production.

The Shop

Brad460
Fantasy
736th
3/2/2014 3:10pm
blumx357 wrote:
Good to see KTM a)monetizing that IP and b) keeping that IP from vanishing from history by letting someone else manufacture and profit from it. So...
Good to see KTM a)monetizing that IP and b) keeping that IP from vanishing from history by letting someone else manufacture and profit from it. So very different from the Japanese approach to IP, very commendable.
Not so sure how that is different than the Japanese approach..most recently you have the Kawasaki/Suzuki relationship, also Yamaha and Toyota work closely..I am sure there are other examples.
Fearo
3/3/2014 2:37am
I hope Gasgas does something with the old Husky 125 engine. That was the smallest 125 engine I've ever seen, probably half the size of the yz125. It may not have been as fast as the KTM, but there is something to be said about being able to have a competitive engine being that small and light.

Crush
3/3/2014 3:04am
Selling off old inventory...

You guys ever look at your cars and where all the bits come from, sheesh. Wonder the motorcycle industry hasn't done the same to the same extent.

Post a reply to: KTM sells "Italian" engine designs to GasGas

The Latest