KTM partners with Chinese Manufacturer for new Factory

Related:
Create New Tag

5/1/2018 7:34 AM

The continued expansion of KTM leads to another global partner similar to Indian partner Bajaj where CF Moto is now set to start production in 2020 of the new 800cc twin street models.

http://www.cyclenews.com/2018/04/article/ktm-cfmoto-west-meets-east/

|

5/1/2018 7:44 AM

As long as they don't build their competition MX bikes in China in m ok with it. I only buy their race bikes and a wouldn't buy one made in China.

|

5/1/2018 7:47 AM

Don't be blind to the fact there's probably more parts on your Japanese bike made in China these days or some other se asia factory.

|

5/1/2018 7:50 AM

ob wrote:

As long as they don't build their competition MX bikes in China in m ok with it. I only buy their race bikes and a wouldn't ...more

You will soon or you won't be buying any new bikes.

|

5/1/2018 7:52 AM

Does this mean the price of the KTM street models will be coming down? Keep dreaming!

|

5/1/2018 7:54 AM

SmokinJoe439 wrote:

Don't be blind to the fact there's probably more parts on your Japanese bike made in China these days or some other se asia ...more

I wonder if KTMs competition bikes have any parts made in China currently? I don't think so.

|

5/1/2018 7:55 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/1/2018 7:56 AM

ob wrote:

As long as they don't build their competition MX bikes in China in m ok with it. I only buy their race bikes and a wouldn't ...more

RandyS wrote:

So you think all the manufacturers are moving production to China? Dought full

|

5/1/2018 8:07 AM

They're building the new 790 there in the future and likely doing it so they can build direct to Asia bikes as opposed to building street bikes in Austria/India and shipping for assembly, like they're currently doing. If you look at the specs of the 790 it was meant to be a "price point" motorcycle.

I honestly don't think KTM would F with their bread and butter MX / Offroad stuff. Especially with the amount of money they've invested in Austria over the past few years.

|

5/1/2018 8:16 AM

There goes that KTM quality. I`d never buy anything that has anything to do with CFMoto

|

Washed up Canadian ex-pro couch racer. Selling bikes for a living

2003 KTM 125SX
2009 KTM 450SX
2016 YFZ450R

5/1/2018 8:19 AM

It means there will be a bunch more KTM street bikes in China

|

5/1/2018 8:23 AM

CFMoto have been doing 'CKD' - Complete Knock Down bikes for KTM for a short while now.

As big as some think KTM, they are (have grown) to about 250,000+ bikes sold per year. Tiny, tiny in the grand scheme of things. With ownership by Bajaj of something like 47 / 48+ percent. The majority of their great increase in sales being the Road Bikes, and especially the 125 to 390 Dukes, with the highest percentage of components of those being Bajaj India made.

To grow bigger, and really have a chance of getting a slice of emerging markets like China, they need production there in China - and other countries other than Austria. All companies do..

I knew CFMoto were a pretty small Chinese manufacturer - by Chinese Motorcycle manufacture standards- but the production quantities revealed in that article were remarkably low. Perhaps I misread, and the numbers I saw were relating to CKDs, or their current exports of CFMotos, and it didn't include their 'for domestic consumption' production.

Get used to this type of thing, boys and girls - it's been happening for years now, and KTM are (have been) taking the path of so many others.

|

5/1/2018 8:40 AM

ob wrote:

RandyS wrote:

ob wrote:

So you think all the manufacturers are moving production to China? Dought full

I think once China gets the quality down it's entirely possible. I remember my dad and his friends in the early 70s talking about how they would never ride Jap junk.

|

5/1/2018 9:06 AM

SmokinJoe439 wrote:

Don't be blind to the fact there's probably more parts on your Japanese bike made in China these days or some other se asia ...more

I like that all my kawasaki, honda, and zook oem parts say made in japan

|

5/1/2018 9:35 AM

I've owned CFMoto side by sides since they started importing them here. I've always liked them and they are as reliable as Polaris, Can-am, or any of the others...

These aren't the Chinese junk that they sell at pawn shops.

|

The message posted above is most likely my opinion and shouldn't be taken as fact....

5/1/2018 9:38 AM

I would think KTM oversees QC. I doubt they just say here build this then turn their backs.

|

5/1/2018 9:41 AM

SmokinJoe439 wrote:

kb228 wrote:

Just an FYI, if you own a new generation CRF, check you throttle cable, clutch cable, wiring harness, stator.......

|

5/1/2018 9:57 AM

I believe that CFMoto has made engine parts for Ducati for years...

|

The message posted above is most likely my opinion and shouldn't be taken as fact....

5/1/2018 10:06 AM

I was gonna say better check your crf out the crf250r had a few main components that said made in China honda has like 3 to 4 major manufacturing plants there all ready. Some of thier lower end bikes are made there all ready.

Some of thier lower end and mid level street bikes are made out of the thialand plant crf250l cbr250/300 cbr650f.

|

5/1/2018 10:37 AM

Oh dear.

The less stuff made in china, the better.

|

5/1/2018 10:47 AM

bh84 wrote:

There goes that KTM quality. I`d never buy anything that has anything to do with CFMoto

That's not how it works. KTM will still own the design which includes the parts, materials, and assembly processes used to build the bikes. KTM will dictate the scenario here and guaranteed quality control will be at the forefront of the project scope.

As a business partner, CFMoto will be held to a very high quality standard. Often times in manufacturing, suppliers are achieving higher levels of quality than the parent organization. There are plenty of good, reputable businesses in China that rival the quality of a US or Austrian good.

Some people need to wake up. Not everything made in China is low-quality junk.

|

5/1/2018 10:55 AM

FRANK121 wrote:

Does this mean the price of the KTM street models will be coming down? Keep dreaming!

LOL no. KTM pockets the difference.

|

Ride like a girl!!!
Insta queenofspodes
2017 KTM 250 SX build thread
2016 KTM 500 EXC-F
Current project: 2007 Kawasaki KX250-R7 retro build
Current project #2: 1987 Kawasaki KX250-E1 rider/racer resto
1989 KX125 resto
1987 RM250 resto

5/1/2018 11:10 AM

It’s not so much the quality that concerns me, I know China quality can be as good as any. I just find it harder to support China as a whole.

|

5/1/2018 11:30 AM

bh84 wrote:

Why?

|

5/1/2018 11:33 AM

I`ve seen this job opening for the last couple months on KTM`s website:

http://www.ktmgroup.com/en/careers/Jobs/quality-management/head-of-quality-mf/

As soon as they find someone they should be fine.

|

5/1/2018 12:24 PM

bh84 wrote:

huck wrote:

Why?

I used to sell them. Absolute junk even the 2016-2017 models. I had a throttle cable stick on an 800 Zforce, not a big deal, -35 that stuff happens, the real problem was that the brake calipers snapped clean off. I had to flip it to get it stopped. I was just trying to park it so I wasn`t wearing a seat belt. I bounced around the cab really bad, concussion, swollen ear, road rash. My CFMoto rep then told me that I drive too aggressively and that I`m lucky I didnt have to pay for it.

|

2003 KTM 125SX
2009 KTM 450SX
2016 YFZ450R

5/1/2018 12:25 PM

bh84 wrote:

mxtech1 wrote:

That's not how it works. KTM will still own the design which includes the parts, materials, and assembly processes used to ...more

read my above post, I`ve had experience with their brand before.

|

2003 KTM 125SX
2009 KTM 450SX
2016 YFZ450R

5/1/2018 12:36 PM

kb228 wrote:

Go look at a new crf125 and get back to me. . .

|

Make Hillclimb Great Again

Ratbeach Racing

Instagram / YouTube: @485Josh

3dpmoto.com

5/1/2018 4:21 PM

ob wrote:

It’s not so much the quality that concerns me, I know China quality can be as good as any. I just find it harder to support ...more

Exactly. Quality product or not China needs to crumble.

|

5/1/2018 4:42 PM

ob wrote:

It’s not so much the quality that concerns me, I know China quality can be as good as any. I just find it harder to support ...more

colintrax wrote:

Exactly. Quality product or not China needs to crumble.

I don’t want to give them anymore of my money, and I want their people to go home and stop buying up our real-estate.

|

5/1/2018 5:06 PM

ob wrote:

I don’t want to give them anymore of my money, and I want their people to go home and stop buying up our real-estate.

'Murica.

|