KTM frame failure - 2016 sx350

kb228
6/14/2018 12:48pm
What do you mean "here we go" From these posts and pictures, you cant honestly think that everyone on here that owns a ktm isn't going...
What do you mean "here we go" From these posts and pictures, you cant honestly think that everyone on here that owns a ktm isn't going to be at least a little bit worried.
Solidkm wrote:
You’re stirring the pot, bruh. This thread has what 6 pages? And thumpertalk has a matching one. Half the dudes are concerned. And half the dudes...
You’re stirring the pot, bruh. This thread has what 6 pages? And thumpertalk has a matching one. Half the dudes are concerned. And half the dudes are saying a few (freak?) failures over 100,000+ frames isn’t enough for it to be a thing. They’re all good bikes and they’ve all had failures. And again, aside from OP, we don’t know what insane crashes these things have lived thru before breaking.

Tires fail and lug nuts come off, I’m not checking my truck every morning before work. I’m just not.
Monk wrote:
Bro, KTMs are junk right? Everyone knows that...
Pretty much all european bikes are.. look at ducati. Prime example
Hammer 663s
6/14/2018 12:52pm
MX915 wrote:
Isn't it certainly possible its just a shitty weld with a bad result? Look at the Yamaha frames with cracked welds that was deemed to be...
Isn't it certainly possible its just a shitty weld with a bad result? Look at the Yamaha frames with cracked welds that was deemed to be bad welding from the factory by the brain trust here. I bet if you kept riding them long enough you'd end up on the ground with half a motorcycle.

Any commonality with VIN numbers, manufacturing dates, etc? If the majority are 16-16.5 models maybe its just certain production batches that suck. Maybe not.
I'm not an engineer, nor have I ever played one on TV, but from the original photos it looks to me like the actual inner tube cracked/tore. No idea if that was due to the weld failing first, or vice versa. Bad weld, bad/wrong steel, not enough steel, all 3? Not sure KTM is going to spend the $$$ on a root cause analysis, esp if they already beefed that area up on the 17s (still unconfirmed).

Interesting technical issue with potential catastrophic results. I hope KTM owners keep an eye on their frames. Just like all moto owners should - we pound the crap out of these things and stuff will break eventually regardless of the quality of the material, engineering, or construction.
philG
6/14/2018 1:11pm
Welds are funny things, and over the years i have done a few post mortems on failed parts , and been involved with proving out new techiques for parts.

Welds crack from the inside usually, so even crack testing doesnt find something till its made it to the surface, by then, its almost too late. These can develop as the weld cools, its part of the process to make sure they dont.

Where you get a crack from the end of a weld, that is load generated, like the engine mount plate one, these can be caused by vibration, loose bolts, (or not properly tight) .

Stuff breaks, the idea that you can expect a competition bike, to take the punishment it does, and last indefinatley, is a bit of a push.. i think i have broken 5 frames in 42 years of racing , and 2 swingarms, i am not hard on bikes, but i have mates who just kill everything they lay their hands on.

While catastrophic failure like this isnt common, it will happen,at some point.

early
Fantasy
2212th
6/14/2018 1:24pm
While it's true frames break under the abuse an off-road motorcycle sees, we have a handful of examples just from the people reading this forum in the last few days which is a small sample size. Add to that the fact that the KTM 450sxf lost about 10 lbs between 2015 and 2016. Seems likely that there were some unintended consequences from that particular redesign.

The Shop

seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
6/14/2018 1:56pm
early wrote:
While it's true frames break under the abuse an off-road motorcycle sees, we have a handful of examples just from the people reading this forum in...
While it's true frames break under the abuse an off-road motorcycle sees, we have a handful of examples just from the people reading this forum in the last few days which is a small sample size. Add to that the fact that the KTM 450sxf lost about 10 lbs between 2015 and 2016. Seems likely that there were some unintended consequences from that particular redesign.
They dropped around 3 pounds using the air fork and dropped several pounds in the motor. I don't understand how people throw around numbers like 10-15 pounds lighter and only reference the steel frame.
slipdog
6/14/2018 2:07pm
early wrote:
While it's true frames break under the abuse an off-road motorcycle sees, we have a handful of examples just from the people reading this forum in...
seth505 wrote:
They dropped around 3 pounds using the air fork and dropped several pounds in the motor. I don't understand how people throw around numbers like 10-15...
They dropped around 3 pounds using the air fork and dropped several pounds in the motor. I don't understand how people throw around numbers like 10-15 pounds lighter and only reference the steel frame.
Because KTM's suck, Bro!
early
Fantasy
2212th
6/14/2018 2:14pm
seth505 wrote:
They dropped around 3 pounds using the air fork and dropped several pounds in the motor. I don't understand how people throw around numbers like 10-15...
I found dry figures if 236 for the '15, 227 for '16 and 222 for '17. I believe the AER was first included in the '16.5 FE.
Motovet
6/14/2018 7:47pm Edited Date/Time 6/14/2018 9:21pm
Update from the owner of the bike that broke that’s me. Ktm is sending out a new frame and any parts that were damaged due to the break but so far they said they weren’t going to cover the cost of the labor to swap the frame and they want the dealer to do that which I understand. I would like them to cover the cost so I’m in the Process of talking to customer service. A lot of really good points on here and it’s good to have this conversation. my catastrophic frame failure luckily didn’t bite me too bad and made others aware you need to check that stuff out, these bikes take a lot of abuse. I’ll get this thing back together in a couple weeks and be back out there racing the piss out of it and I can’t wait to get my hands on a 19 Cheers ?
6/14/2018 8:10pm
Motovet wrote:
Update from the owner of the bike that broke that’s me. Ktm is sending out a new frame and any parts that were damaged due to...
Update from the owner of the bike that broke that’s me. Ktm is sending out a new frame and any parts that were damaged due to the break but so far they said they weren’t going to cover the cost of the labor to swap the frame and they want the dealer to do that which I understand. I would like them to cover the cost so I’m in the Process of talking to customer service. A lot of really good points on here and it’s good to have this conversation. my catastrophic frame failure luckily didn’t bite me too bad and made others aware you need to check that stuff out, these bikes take a lot of abuse. I’ll get this thing back together in a couple weeks and be back out there racing the piss out of it and I can’t wait to get my hands on a 19 Cheers ?
Love it.
newmann
6/14/2018 8:27pm Edited Date/Time 6/14/2018 8:30pm
Motovet wrote:
Update from the owner of the bike that broke that’s me. Ktm is sending out a new frame and any parts that were damaged due to...
In 1978, my new YZ80 frame fell to pieces. There were a total of 13 cracks in the frame. I was 150 down the list of people getting frames and it took 90 days for them to get one to the dealer. Frame was free but I had to pay to get everything swapped over as well as having to pay to have the factory supplied "gusset kit" welded in place on the new frame. Just be thankful you don't have to pay to have a couple extra pounds of steel welded to it like Yamaha did.Smile

Sounds like KTM came through once again with some excellent customer service on a three year old motocross bike that they have zero clue on the history of. Congrats on that and good thing you didn't get hurt! Now go buy a lottery ticket.

You really have to love the 8 pages of doom and KTM gloom and then the owner shows up to tell us KTM has him a new frame and parts on the way. One more reason KTM is conquering the world of off road motorcycling.
milliebays
6/14/2018 8:32pm
Motovet wrote:
newmann wrote:
In 1978, my new YZ80 frame fell to pieces. There were a total of 13 cracks in the frame. I was 150 down the list of...
In 1978, my new YZ80 frame fell to pieces. There were a total of 13 cracks in the frame. I was 150 down the list of people getting frames and it took 90 days for them to get one to the dealer. Frame was free but I had to pay to get everything swapped over as well as having to pay to have the factory supplied "gusset kit" welded in place on the new frame. Just be thankful you don't have to pay to have a couple extra pounds of steel welded to it like Yamaha did.Smile

Sounds like KTM came through once again with some excellent customer service on a three year old motocross bike that they have zero clue on the history of. Congrats on that and good thing you didn't get hurt! Now go buy a lottery ticket.

You really have to love the 8 pages of doom and KTM gloom and then the owner shows up to tell us KTM has him a new frame and parts on the way. One more reason KTM is conquering the world of off road motorcycling.
thats the best uphill-to-school-in-the-snow-both-ways Story i've ever read on Vital.
Ted722
6/14/2018 8:45pm
Motovet wrote:
That's good news Kevin. You've had a great 5-6 years with the club, keep on keeping on! Hope to see you at MMX next week, regardless if your bike's ready or not. I'll have a 500 and a 125 there for you to play on.

6/14/2018 9:19pm
newmann wrote:
In 1978, my new YZ80 frame fell to pieces. There were a total of 13 cracks in the frame. I was 150 down the list of...

Awesome that they are replacing the frame. They'd be dumb not to when they can get good publicity from this post. Still doesn't change the fact that it's a potentially very dangerous flaw that I'd personally rather avoid instead of getting a free frame that I need to pay someone to switch out. Depends how you look at it. Buy a bike from a company who gives you a free frame when it breaks or buy a bike from a company whose frame doesn't break.
mx317
6/15/2018 4:05am
Awesome that they are replacing the frame. They'd be dumb not to when they can get good publicity from this post. Still doesn't change the fact...
Awesome that they are replacing the frame. They'd be dumb not to when they can get good publicity from this post. Still doesn't change the fact that it's a potentially very dangerous flaw that I'd personally rather avoid instead of getting a free frame that I need to pay someone to switch out. Depends how you look at it. Buy a bike from a company who gives you a free frame when it breaks or buy a bike from a company whose frame doesn't break.
And what company is that?
Solidkm
6/15/2018 6:03am
Awesome that they are replacing the frame. They'd be dumb not to when they can get good publicity from this post. Still doesn't change the fact...
mx317 wrote:
Prob the same company that doesn’t turn, doesn’t stop, doesn’t flex, doesn’t have hydraulic clutch, and doesn’t have the button.

Lots of good dudes on here contributing and then there’s this guy, squirrelings
kb228
6/15/2018 6:08am
mx317 wrote:
Solidkm wrote:
Prob the same company that doesn’t turn, doesn’t stop, doesn’t flex, doesn’t have hydraulic clutch, and doesn’t have the button. Lots of good dudes on here...
Prob the same company that doesn’t turn, doesn’t stop, doesn’t flex, doesn’t have hydraulic clutch, and doesn’t have the button.

Its NYMotocross in disguise
MX915
6/15/2018 6:10am
kb228 wrote:
Its NYMotocross in disguise
No it's not. He hasn't mentioned Justin Cooper. Laughing
stone881
6/15/2018 6:43am
Squirrel is partially right and KTM should publicly address the issue.

Did KTM in fact identify a problem with that part number?

Was it an isolated number in the production run, or the entire production run?

I see a new part number in the fiche for 2017.

If a replacement frame is provided, which part number will it be?

Etc.
H4L
6/15/2018 6:51am Edited Date/Time 6/15/2018 6:54am
stone881 wrote:
Squirrel is partially right and KTM should publicly address the issue. Did KTM in fact identify a problem with that part number? Was it an isolated...
Squirrel is partially right and KTM should publicly address the issue.

Did KTM in fact identify a problem with that part number?

Was it an isolated number in the production run, or the entire production run?

I see a new part number in the fiche for 2017.

If a replacement frame is provided, which part number will it be?

Etc.
Agree. By giving out new frames to customers it seems like they're putting a band-aid on the issue. Someone mentioned a new revised frame with better structural integrity, but has that been announced by KTM officially ?
mx317
6/15/2018 6:54am
H4L wrote:
Agree. By giving out new frames to customers it seems like they're putting a band-aid on the issue. Someone mentioned a new revised frame with better...
Agree. By giving out new frames to customers it seems like they're putting a band-aid on the issue. Someone mentioned a new revised frame with better structural integrity, but has that been announced by KTM officially ?
No company announces when they supersede a part.
H4L
6/15/2018 6:57am
mx317 wrote:
No company announces when they supersede a part.
Considering the safety concerns anyone would think this is not just an ordinary part.
BR8ES
6/15/2018 7:36am
Maybe they should address the crap design of the 17 250sx idler gear while we are at it. Can't even get 17 model year cases, they are 18 and up, new design. Clearly a problem exists there too, been plenty of issues, guess it being not a safety thing though makes it not a big deal.
Solidkm
6/15/2018 7:56am
For what it’s worth. Whatever recall they had on the 2011 350 (can’t remember) they called me. Had me schedule and appointment, and fixed it.
make1go
6/15/2018 8:08am
philG wrote:
Welds are funny things, and over the years i have done a few post mortems on failed parts , and been involved with proving out new...
Welds are funny things, and over the years i have done a few post mortems on failed parts , and been involved with proving out new techiques for parts.

Welds crack from the inside usually, so even crack testing doesnt find something till its made it to the surface, by then, its almost too late. These can develop as the weld cools, its part of the process to make sure they dont.

Where you get a crack from the end of a weld, that is load generated, like the engine mount plate one, these can be caused by vibration, loose bolts, (or not properly tight) .

Stuff breaks, the idea that you can expect a competition bike, to take the punishment it does, and last indefinatley, is a bit of a push.. i think i have broken 5 frames in 42 years of racing , and 2 swingarms, i am not hard on bikes, but i have mates who just kill everything they lay their hands on.

While catastrophic failure like this isnt common, it will happen,at some point.

as stated here, some guys can break bikes/parts like they are matchsticks, others not so.

quite hard to determine why as many instances are with similar level riders on the same tracks..

but it happens, some guys are just good at
fcking shit up..
make1go
6/15/2018 8:23am
newmann wrote:

you were lucky, my 77 YZ125D went thru 3 3rd 4th gear combos (plus others) in 12 mths..

on the up side it did teach me how to do gearboxes at a rather early age.
but fck me it was annoying as hell and very very expensive,

with zero help from yamaha even tho it was a faulty part that was superceded by the time of my 3rd failure..

BR8ES
6/15/2018 8:25am
Solidkm wrote:
For what it’s worth. Whatever recall they had on the 2011 350 (can’t remember) they called me. Had me schedule and appointment, and fixed it.
Wasn't that the crank bearings?
Solidkm
6/15/2018 8:55am
Solidkm wrote:
BR8ES wrote:
Ya, I think it was.
RCF
6/15/2018 9:03am
Solidkm wrote:
BR8ES wrote:
Solidkm wrote:
Ya, I think it was.
It was Transmission bearing
6/15/2018 9:51am Edited Date/Time 6/15/2018 10:00am
Solidkm wrote:
Prob the same company that doesn’t turn, doesn’t stop, doesn’t flex, doesn’t have hydraulic clutch, and doesn’t have the button. Lots of good dudes on here...

LaughingLaughing I'll take any of the Japanese bikes first based on reliability alone. Even the Yamaha with their cracked frames. Don't want a hydraulic clutch and my bike turns great like many others. You're clearly a KTM fan with your comments based toward everything but a KTM. Glad your bike works well for you.
BobPA
6/15/2018 10:02am Edited Date/Time 6/15/2018 10:06am
Solidkm wrote:

:laugh: :laugh: I'll take any of the Japanese bikes first based on reliability alone. Even the Yamaha with their cracked frames. Don't want a hydraulic clutch...
LaughingLaughing I'll take any of the Japanese bikes first based on reliability alone. Even the Yamaha with their cracked frames. Don't want a hydraulic clutch and my bike turns great like many others. You're clearly a KTM fan with your comments based toward everything but a KTM. Glad your bike works well for you.
And you call me a dick? You're a self proclaimed "realist" with nothing to back up your claims. You are racist against KTM fans, and no one likes a racist. And how dare you assume his fanboism preferences. I am deeply offended by your actions, both in this thread, and on the website as a whole. Shame on you for bringing your bigoted opinions against your fellow Vital member. This is a free country, anyone can like what they want. Just because someone likes the Orange Kool-Aid does not give you the right to belittle them.

You should seriously think about your life choices.

Post a reply to: KTM frame failure - 2016 sx350

The Latest