KTM frame failure - 2016 sx350

Tracktor
6/13/2018 2:03pm
My kid cracked a KTM 2012 65sx frame at the down tube. Found it when rebuilding bike. Right through the biggest part of frame. Never seen any bike do that before much less a mini. Even our Cobras just broke tabs off for the most part........
RCMXracing
6/13/2018 2:20pm
I have a 16 450 and a 16.5 250 FE. Big bike over a hunnet hrs. Zero issues and I still send it. ✊?
Dealer buddy says he’s never seen a broken frame come in the shop. Gather up all the internet info (which leaves a lot of details out) of ALL the brands...suspect you would find issues here and there on all. Few issues out of 100,000 bikes doesn’t scare me from ANY single brand.
I don’t think the OP is a troll, but man, an old rusty crack? ? C’mon. Maybe it was a lemon and had a shit weld? How can you tell anything from an old ass crack? ??‍♂️
early
Fantasy
2212th
6/13/2018 2:26pm
RCMXracing wrote:
I have a 16 450 and a 16.5 250 FE. Big bike over a hunnet hrs. Zero issues and I still send it. ✊? Dealer buddy...
I have a 16 450 and a 16.5 250 FE. Big bike over a hunnet hrs. Zero issues and I still send it. ✊?
Dealer buddy says he’s never seen a broken frame come in the shop. Gather up all the internet info (which leaves a lot of details out) of ALL the brands...suspect you would find issues here and there on all. Few issues out of 100,000 bikes doesn’t scare me from ANY single brand.
I don’t think the OP is a troll, but man, an old rusty crack? ? C’mon. Maybe it was a lemon and had a shit weld? How can you tell anything from an old ass crack? ??‍♂️

The Shop

6/13/2018 2:52pm
RCMXracing wrote:
I have a 16 450 and a 16.5 250 FE. Big bike over a hunnet hrs. Zero issues and I still send it. ✊? Dealer buddy...
You seem pretty confident. Not saying you will have an issue, but if I were you, I'd be checking for cracks after every ride.
Solidkm
6/13/2018 2:58pm
Real talk. If you’re slow and without talent, should you still be concerned? Asking for a friend.
Hammer 663s
6/13/2018 3:31pm
Solidkm wrote:
Real talk. If you’re slow and without talent, should you still be concerned? Asking for a friend.
Probably at higher risk cause your friend is likely casing every 25 foot table out there.
Monk
6/13/2018 3:34pm
newmann wrote:
Front fell off!
I bet only a few understand this... Lol
KDXGarage
6/13/2018 3:44pm Edited Date/Time 6/26/2018 9:30pm
I have only seen one frame break. It was a KTM 85 in 2015. The young guy was hurt, but perhaps not injured. His dad must have been a Vital member, as they knew to have a spare KTM and were able to race later. It was weird to see the mom drive the back half on the rear rack of the 4 wheeler while dad wheel barrowed the front back through the pits.

FOUND 'EM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05R40w6r_Xg
KDXGarage
6/13/2018 3:47pm
newmann wrote:
Front fell off!
Monk wrote:
I looked it up. HILARIOUS! Thanks!
Solidkm
6/13/2018 3:49pm
Solidkm wrote:
Probably at higher risk cause your friend is likely casing every 25 foot table out there.
Hahaha ain’t that the truth
yzrider53
6/13/2018 4:12pm
RCMXracing wrote:
It's interesting that KTM doesn't sell the 16 and 16.5 frames anymore?

The pics of the 16.5 orange frames the other dude and I posted here have cracks starting at the spot where the OP bike was rusted and cracked. The guy that had his bike break in half (this thread) is a good buddy of mine and his bike has never cartwheeled nor has mine, just saying.

I so recommend that you grab a magnifying glass and check that spot where we posted pics and check real close.
Solidkm
6/13/2018 4:13pm
I may have missed it, any 17s doing this?
Indy mxer
6/13/2018 4:13pm
Solidkm wrote:
Lmfao!! Got a good laugh outta that one.
Pirate421
6/13/2018 4:16pm Edited Date/Time 6/13/2018 4:16pm
newmann wrote:
Front fell off!
Monk wrote:
KDXGarage wrote:
I looked it up. HILARIOUS! Thanks!
I work in the maritime industry and that was a training vid for us. Super funny and works great for this case too! Haha wish I was tech savvy enough to post it
yzrider53
6/13/2018 4:25pm Edited Date/Time 6/13/2018 4:28pm
Solidkm wrote:
I may have missed it, any 17s doing this?
I haven't, yet?

Ktm does have a superseded part number for the 17 450 frame and nothing available for the 16 and 16.5 450?

I'm one of the peeps with pics of a crack here and I am taking my frame to my dealer tomorrow, I tore in down today.
It'll be interesting to know exactly what part number my new frame will be, whether or not KTM or I pay for.
6/13/2018 4:27pm
aees wrote:
KTM has already fixed this. If you buy a new frame (or get a replacement) to 16-17 bikes it is re-enforced. 19 is different frame and...
KTM has already fixed this. If you buy a new frame (or get a replacement) to 16-17 bikes it is re-enforced. 19 is different frame and it is also re-inforced. 18 i dont know about.

However, you can also see it from this side. I guess KTM sell like MX/enduro 10.000 bikes/frames of same model. Having 20 of the frames brake is not good but either not an case of epidemic failure.

I think that is exactly the cost of balancing of having the lightest and slimiest bike vs not...
I'd like a little background/info regarding these re-enforcement claims.
fourfourone
6/13/2018 4:28pm
hate to say all the people who are die hard ktm fans but its really got to suck to have to worry about your frame cracking...
hate to say all the people who are die hard ktm fans but its really got to suck to have to worry about your frame cracking every time you ride.
Solidkm wrote:
Here we go
What do you mean "here we go" From these posts and pictures, you cant honestly think that everyone on here that owns a ktm isn't going to be at least a little bit worried.
Solidkm
6/13/2018 4:29pm
So say ktm won’t pay for it, what was it 1200$? What about having a local welder beef it up in that area?
6/13/2018 4:30pm
yzrider53 wrote:
I haven't, yet? Ktm does have a superseded part number for the 17 450 frame and nothing available for the 16 and 16.5 450? I'm one...
I haven't, yet?

Ktm does have a superseded part number for the 17 450 frame and nothing available for the 16 and 16.5 450?

I'm one of the peeps with pics of a crack here and I am taking my frame to my dealer tomorrow, I tore in down today.
It'll be interesting to know exactly what part number my new frame will be, whether or not KTM or I pay for.
See if your dealer has any feedback or knowledge about frame modifications to model years '17-'19.
yzrider53
6/13/2018 4:34pm
Solidkm wrote:
So say ktm won’t pay for it, what was it 1200$? What about having a local welder beef it up in that area?
It can't be welded as there's a tube within a tube?
If you go back to page 2, you'll see that, he had an old crack on the inner section too.
Solidkm
6/13/2018 4:34pm
hate to say all the people who are die hard ktm fans but its really got to suck to have to worry about your frame cracking...
hate to say all the people who are die hard ktm fans but its really got to suck to have to worry about your frame cracking every time you ride.
Solidkm wrote:
Here we go
What do you mean "here we go" From these posts and pictures, you cant honestly think that everyone on here that owns a ktm isn't going...
What do you mean "here we go" From these posts and pictures, you cant honestly think that everyone on here that owns a ktm isn't going to be at least a little bit worried.
You’re stirring the pot, bruh. This thread has what 6 pages? And thumpertalk has a matching one. Half the dudes are concerned. And half the dudes are saying a few (freak?) failures over 100,000+ frames isn’t enough for it to be a thing. They’re all good bikes and they’ve all had failures. And again, aside from OP, we don’t know what insane crashes these things have lived thru before breaking.

Tires fail and lug nuts come off, I’m not checking my truck every morning before work. I’m just not.
yzrider53
6/13/2018 4:38pm Edited Date/Time 6/13/2018 4:38pm
yzrider53 wrote:
I haven't, yet? Ktm does have a superseded part number for the 17 450 frame and nothing available for the 16 and 16.5 450? I'm one...
I haven't, yet?

See if your dealer has any feedback or knowledge about frame modifications to model years '17-'19.
I'm hoping to find that out.

I only started 'my' process yesterday and hopefully will get some info soon.
I'm sure that somebody reading/lurking this thread knows, just saying Smile
yzrider53
6/13/2018 4:48pm
Solidkm wrote:
Here we go
What do you mean "here we go" From these posts and pictures, you cant honestly think that everyone on here that owns a ktm isn't going...
Solidkm wrote:
You’re stirring the pot, bruh. This thread has what 6 pages? And thumpertalk has a matching one. Half the dudes are concerned. And half the dudes...
You’re stirring the pot, bruh. This thread has what 6 pages? And thumpertalk has a matching one. Half the dudes are concerned. And half the dudes are saying a few (freak?) failures over 100,000+ frames isn’t enough for it to be a thing. They’re all good bikes and they’ve all had failures. And again, aside from OP, we don’t know what insane crashes these things have lived thru before breaking.

Tires fail and lug nuts come off, I’m not checking my truck every morning before work. I’m just not.
My bike and the bike that started this HAVE NEVER had any crashes beyond falling over in a turn.
I've only had a trax and CV's and the bike that broke in half has an Ohlins and CV's.

We're both 57 y/o experts with years of experience.
I started that thread on TT.
Solidkm
6/13/2018 4:58pm Edited Date/Time 6/13/2018 4:59pm
Solidkm wrote:
You’re stirring the pot, bruh. This thread has what 6 pages? And thumpertalk has a matching one. Half the dudes are concerned. And half the dudes...

yzrider53 wrote:
My bike and the bike that started this HAVE NEVER had any crashes beyond falling over in a turn. I've only had a trax and CV's...
My bike and the bike that started this HAVE NEVER had any crashes beyond falling over in a turn.
I've only had a trax and CV's and the bike that broke in half has an Ohlins and CV's.

We're both 57 y/o experts with years of experience.
I started that thread on TT.
I read that. I’m not arguing that or coming at you. Further, I hope KTM solves this for you, and not just with another frame of the same quality
BroFoSho
6/13/2018 5:08pm
Solidkm wrote:

I think this is a pretty legitimate concern/issues. If I owned a KTM I would be worried.
On this very thread there are several 2016/2016.5 KTMs that have cracked frames... these bikes are only two years old. Show me several 2016 Kawasaki 450s that have had cracked frames for example.

Not to say KTM is a crap bike, but I think it is safe to say that 2016 KTM frames have a higher rate of failure compared to other manufactures. I think the 2014 YZ250F had frame issues too for example
Monk
6/13/2018 5:08pm
Solidkm wrote:
Here we go
Solidkm wrote:

Bro, KTMs are junk right? Everyone knows that...
fourfourone
6/13/2018 5:10pm
Solidkm wrote:
Here we go
Solidkm wrote:

stirring the pot because I claimed that ktm riders will worry? its the truth Bruh
Monk
6/13/2018 5:11pm
Solidkm wrote:

BroFoSho wrote:
I think this is a pretty legitimate concern/issues. If I owned a KTM I would be worried. On this very thread there are several 2016/2016.5 KTMs...
I think this is a pretty legitimate concern/issues. If I owned a KTM I would be worried.
On this very thread there are several 2016/2016.5 KTMs that have cracked frames... these bikes are only two years old. Show me several 2016 Kawasaki 450s that have had cracked frames for example.

Not to say KTM is a crap bike, but I think it is safe to say that 2016 KTM frames have a higher rate of failure compared to other manufactures. I think the 2014 YZ250F had frame issues too for example
Based on what? Which is worse, Honda selling 10,000 bikes and having 50 fail? Or KTM selling 100,000 bikes and 100 fail? KTM outsells the other 4 combined, there are bound to be issues... But because more are sold, you are going to see more failures....
Solidkm
6/13/2018 5:13pm
Solidkm wrote:

BroFoSho wrote:
I think this is a pretty legitimate concern/issues. If I owned a KTM I would be worried. On this very thread there are several 2016/2016.5 KTMs...

Monk wrote:
Based on what? Which is worse, Honda selling 10,000 bikes and having 50 fail? Or KTM selling 100,000 bikes and 100 fail? KTM outsells the other...
Based on what? Which is worse, Honda selling 10,000 bikes and having 50 fail? Or KTM selling 100,000 bikes and 100 fail? KTM outsells the other 4 combined, there are bound to be issues... But because more are sold, you are going to see more failures....
Monk you keep making sense and you’re going to be on the naughty list, homie.

Post a reply to: KTM frame failure - 2016 sx350

The Latest