KTM buying Husky ?

ATKpilot99
Edited Date/Time 2/1/2013 4:12pm
|
stillwelding
1/29/2013 5:21pm
Here's the copy (for the lazy)

High-placed motorcycle industry sources have tipped MCN off that BMW is negotiating the sale of Husqvarna to Austrian firm KTM with an announcement expected as early as the end of this week to officially confirm it.

German giant BMW bought Husqvarna from MV Agusta in 2008; just as the world entered a financial crisis but has ploughed huge sums of money into the firm which is based in northern Italy with new road bikes like the Nuda 900 and a complete reworking of the off-road range too.

BMW has not just revamped the range of road and off-road bikes but it has completely renovated the production lines, built a brand new racing and research and development arm along with transferring lots of BMW staff from Munich to Italy to work on the brand.

Now it appears BMW is in the final process of selling Husqvarna to KTM; itself owned by the massive Indian firm Bajaj. One source who didn’t want to be named said: “I do not know if this is a signed deal yet but I understand the final parts of the negotiations are happening now.”

The rumours have reached MCN from multiple sources with some even claiming the deal is going to be announced later this week. Sources in Austria, Germany and Italy are all in broad agreement this is happening.

BMW traditionally refuses to comment on speculation of any kind and this is the same in this case with no response to questions. Husqvarna and KTM are also saying nothing at this stage.

MCN will update this story as soon as there is anything to add.
Derpin' DJ
Fantasy
2803rd
1/29/2013 5:22pm Edited Date/Time 1/29/2013 5:24pm
Wow, that's unexpected. They'd basically be buying Husqvarna and BMW technology. If this does/has gone through, it'll be interesting to see how both brands develop over the next couple of years. KTM already own Husaberg, so they're basically taking complete control of the European dirt bike production
RandyS
1/29/2013 5:35pm
BMW has told Husky owners to take a flying leap(they no longer support parts for bikes made in the 2000s). Anything is an improvement.
Drtbykr
1/29/2013 5:45pm Edited Date/Time 1/29/2013 5:49pm
I wonder why BMW got into the MX, racing enduro game...just like I wonder why KTM are into streetbikes.

KTM must lose tons of dough on their street bikes and street bike racing programs.

I'm a KTM owner and fan, but they turned unique Husabergs into blue KTM's. Now Husky's will be red KTM's, or discontinued.

KTM deserves success, but it used to be cool to have a unique bike. Maybe I'll get a Honda..

The Shop

RM127
1/29/2013 6:01pm Edited Date/Time 1/29/2013 6:02pm
Does this include Husqvarna's garden tools? If so thats huge!

I hope KTM continues it success, which will force the Jap's to up their game!
stillwelding
1/29/2013 6:08pm
RM127 wrote:
Does this include Husqvarna's garden tools? If so thats huge!

I hope KTM continues it success, which will force the Jap's to up their game!
No. Completely separate company. Electrolux I believe. This was the company that stuck with sewing machines and garden tools. They licensed the Husqvarna brand to the Castigliono brothers, until BMW became the name/rights holder. I think any sale would still need the Electrolux stamp of approval.
rmpilot
1/29/2013 6:14pm
im really not sure what this means. it could be ktm wanting the brand to sell on its own or just to eliminate the brand or my guess is they want the factory space to expand production. very interesting.
burn1986
Fantasy
3311th
1/29/2013 7:21pm
So KTM is owned by an Indian company named Bajaj. I didn't know that.
dcg141
1/29/2013 7:31pm
burn1986 wrote:
They own a large share of stock but not a controlling interest. I am a KTM dealer and this is news to me...of course dealers are always the last to know.
SwapperMX
1/29/2013 8:12pm
burn1986 wrote:
Yep, still a minority shareholder though. Have been for a little while. Hasnt seemed to have affected KTM's work ethic and their ability to build motorcycles that the buying public want
Big Daddy
1/29/2013 8:17pm Edited Date/Time 1/29/2013 8:18pm
burn1986 wrote:
dcg141 wrote:
They own a large share of stock but not a controlling interest. I am a KTM dealer and this is news to me...of course dealers are...
They own a large share of stock but not a controlling interest. I am a KTM dealer and this is news to me...of course dealers are always the last to know.
Learn something new everyday! Here are a couple of links that are informative:

http://www.bajajauto.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bajaj_Auto
RM127
1/29/2013 8:46pm Edited Date/Time 1/29/2013 8:46pm
"In November 2007, Bajaj Auto acquired 14.5% stake in KTM Power Sports AG (holding company of KTM Sportmotorcycles AG) .The two companies have signed a cooperation deal, by which KTM will provide the know-how for joint development of the water-cooled four-stroke 125 and 250 cc engines, and Bajaj will take over the distribution of KTM products in India and some other Southeast Asian nations.[9] Bajaj said it is open to taking a majority stake in KTM and is also looking at other takeover opportunities. On 8 January 2008, Managing Director Rajiv Bajaj confirmed the collaboration and announced his intention to gradually increase Bajaj's stake in KTM to 25%& continue to buy more share in KTM by 47% total by Apr 2012."
-wiki
montesagold
1/29/2013 9:06pm
I sure hope they keep them alive! They're small bore 4's are gaining a great reputation as well as thecomplete 2stroke line. I'm east for a new wr300
1/30/2013 12:39am Edited Date/Time 1/30/2013 12:43am
Derpin' DJ wrote:
Wow, that's unexpected. They'd basically be buying Husqvarna and BMW technology. If this does/has gone through, it'll be interesting to see how both brands develop over...
Wow, that's unexpected. They'd basically be buying Husqvarna and BMW technology. If this does/has gone through, it'll be interesting to see how both brands develop over the next couple of years. KTM already own Husaberg, so they're basically taking complete control of the European dirt bike production
Husky / BMW technology? hahaha.

That doesnt really exist. They hire independent tech firms to design stuff for them. The new Husky four strokes and direct injection two strokes that were in development were being designed by the same firm that did the last incarnation of the SX-F's. So while the tech may be proprietary, its not like they needed to buy Husky to gain any tech advantage, its more of a marketshare thing.

This may be a good thing. KTM will bring stability to the market hopefully. By owning three of the top brands and fielding teams, it may make for calmer waters. Companies like TM, Sherco, and GasGas have to be worried at this point.

I sure hope they dont plan on doing anything drastic like shutting the Husky factory down or moving it. That would be devastating for a lot of really good friends of mine.

The fact of the matter is this... BMW has issues with communication. At the corporate level whether it be in cars or bikes or whatever, for all the things the Germans can do right that company just doesnt have a very good chain of communication. That is problem number one.

Second, was the fact that no matter how many new managers they moved from Munich to Varese, there was always going to be a MAJOR cultural gap between German management and the Italian workforce at that company. It's like oil and vinegar (pun intended).

Problem three was the Italians themselves. I wont go into detail but lets just say that you cant expect to be on the ball when youre taking 15 espresso breaks a day while working on the assembly line.

Being that KTM is a bike company, they may be able to finally coral the Italians and get some productivity out of them. Or maybe not. Hopefully KTM can get that Husky Nuda 900 over here in the states. Its a really nice bike. It would sell great here.

I knew something was in the works when I personally saw the entire R&D was put to a halt last year as well as production. They also aborted a lot of projects that were in the works including a all-new 4 stroke line and the DI 2strokes with the before mentioned design firm. It looked as if BMW was planning on just shutting the entire company down. Im encouraged to hear that wont be the case and that theyve found a quality suitor to take ownership. Handing that company back to the MV Agusta group would have been tragic.

Hopefully once the deal is done, those projects can get fired back up. I heard nothing but GREAT things about the new 4 strokes and both times I saw/heard the DI 2 stroke I was super stoked for the potential of the brand.

How it plays out, I will know in a few days. Not even people on the inside are in-the-know of what will go down. All I know is that this deal is 100% happening and that quite a few people are seriously worried about their futures. And that is saying something considering the fact that this sort of instability is not uncommon to the people at Husky. When I mentioned my concerns about 6 months ago, friends of mine shrugged it off as business as usual. About 2 months ago I heard from them and they were VERY concerned. Fast forward to today and you can imagine what anyone involved with Husky is going thru.
1/30/2013 12:48am
rmpilot wrote:
im really not sure what this means. it could be ktm wanting the brand to sell on its own or just to eliminate the brand or...
im really not sure what this means. it could be ktm wanting the brand to sell on its own or just to eliminate the brand or my guess is they want the factory space to expand production. very interesting.
You can definitely rule out your third guess. Its one of the first two.
1/30/2013 12:50am
RandyS wrote:
BMW has told Husky owners to take a flying leap(they no longer support parts for bikes made in the 2000s). Anything is an improvement.
You can still get older parts quite easily through the factory race team. They have huge stockpiles of old parts.
rmpilot
1/30/2013 6:03am
rmpilot wrote:
im really not sure what this means. it could be ktm wanting the brand to sell on its own or just to eliminate the brand or...
why not? isnt ktm the only brand increasing sales out of the big 5?
Roscoe33
1/30/2013 6:07am
"KTM must lose tons of dough on their street bikes and street bike racing programs."

No, they sell out every year they don't make enough to meet demand.
stillwelding
1/30/2013 6:39am
Derpin' DJ wrote:
Wow, that's unexpected. They'd basically be buying Husqvarna and BMW technology. If this does/has gone through, it'll be interesting to see how both brands develop over...
Husky / BMW technology? hahaha. That doesnt really exist. They hire independent tech firms to design stuff for them. The new Husky four strokes and direct...

That doesnt really exist. They hire independent tech firms to design stuff for them. The new Husky four strokes and direct injection two strokes that were in development were being designed by the same firm that did the last incarnation of the SX-F's. So while the tech may be proprietary, its not like they needed to buy Husky to gain any tech advantage, its more of a marketshare thing.

This may be a good thing. KTM will bring stability to the market hopefully. By owning three of the top brands and fielding teams, it may make for calmer waters. Companies like TM, Sherco, and GasGas have to be worried at this point.

I sure hope they dont plan on doing anything drastic like shutting the Husky factory down or moving it. That would be devastating for a lot of really good friends of mine.

The fact of the matter is this... BMW has issues with communication. At the corporate level whether it be in cars or bikes or whatever, for all the things the Germans can do right that company just doesnt have a very good chain of communication. That is problem number one.

Second, was the fact that no matter how many new managers they moved from Munich to Varese, there was always going to be a MAJOR cultural gap between German management and the Italian workforce at that company. It's like oil and vinegar (pun intended).

Problem three was the Italians themselves. I wont go into detail but lets just say that you cant expect to be on the ball when youre taking 15 espresso breaks a day while working on the assembly line.

Being that KTM is a bike company, they may be able to finally coral the Italians and get some productivity out of them. Or maybe not. Hopefully KTM can get that Husky Nuda 900 over here in the states. Its a really nice bike. It would sell great here.

I knew something was in the works when I personally saw the entire R&D was put to a halt last year as well as production. They also aborted a lot of projects that were in the works including a all-new 4 stroke line and the DI 2strokes with the before mentioned design firm. It looked as if BMW was planning on just shutting the entire company down. Im encouraged to hear that wont be the case and that theyve found a quality suitor to take ownership. Handing that company back to the MV Agusta group would have been tragic.

Hopefully once the deal is done, those projects can get fired back up. I heard nothing but GREAT things about the new 4 strokes and both times I saw/heard the DI 2 stroke I was super stoked for the potential of the brand.

How it plays out, I will know in a few days. Not even people on the inside are in-the-know of what will go down. All I know is that this deal is 100% happening and that quite a few people are seriously worried about their futures. And that is saying something considering the fact that this sort of instability is not uncommon to the people at Husky. When I mentioned my concerns about 6 months ago, friends of mine shrugged it off as business as usual. About 2 months ago I heard from them and they were VERY concerned. Fast forward to today and you can imagine what anyone involved with Husky is going thru.
Thanks, Great background story. Kind of information I would expect out of Cycle World, but fleshed out into an in-depth article. In the old days, you'd see something like this in MXA or Dirtbike before anywhere else.
sozo
1/30/2013 8:19am Edited Date/Time 1/30/2013 8:21am
Maybe KTM can give us an aluminum frame a good suspension now.... I dont buy a bike for a fast motor, but for handling , suspension and longevity.
1/30/2013 8:32am Edited Date/Time 1/30/2013 8:38am
Drtbykr wrote:
I wonder why BMW got into the MX, racing enduro game...just like I wonder why KTM are into streetbikes. KTM must lose tons of dough on...
I wonder why BMW got into the MX, racing enduro game...just like I wonder why KTM are into streetbikes.

KTM must lose tons of dough on their street bikes and street bike racing programs.

I'm a KTM owner and fan, but they turned unique Husabergs into blue KTM's. Now Husky's will be red KTM's, or discontinued.

KTM deserves success, but it used to be cool to have a unique bike. Maybe I'll get a Honda..
Ever tried the streetbikes? LC4 and LC8 motors are a blast, the brakes are killer and the handling is superb. Ready to race is applicable on them.

They are into streetbikes and doing good because they put some awesome bone-stock bikes on the road. All of their bikes are just the most fun on the street anyone can have. Not the most comfortable comuters for the average joe tho, bet they are not designed that way afterall. They like to be riddin' hard, all the time.

Maybe KTM can give us an aluminum frame a good suspension now.... I dont buy a bike for a fast motor, but for handling , suspension and longevity.
Everyone praises the KTM CrMo frames and u want them to go Aluminium? :/
three9zero
1/30/2013 8:40am Edited Date/Time 1/30/2013 10:03am
Roscoe33 wrote:
"KTM must lose tons of dough on their street bikes and street bike racing programs." No, they sell out every year they don't make enough to...
"KTM must lose tons of dough on their street bikes and street bike racing programs."

Was going to same the same thing. KTM's on road line sells out every season at our shop for full retail plus destination fee's, actually most of the line is sold before it has arrived at the shop........Depends on the dealer and area though, we are in a large city with a mostly white collar population. If your local shop is Dave's bikes in Chicken Scrotum, Saskatchewan and he sells 20 bikes a year to his buddies @ cost then yeah his customer base perhaps does not support KtM's on road line.
Dirtydane
1/30/2013 8:40am
They should make the KTMs 4-stroke only and remake the huskys and make them only 2-strokes :D would be cool!
nytsmaC
1/30/2013 9:54am
Nothing official yet, but...

It looks like KTM's President and primary shareholder Stefan Pierer may have cashed out and sold his 51% shares to India (Bajaj), took his money and bought Husqvarna with it.

Stefan Pierer also owns Kiska, WP, Pankl, among others.

This is going to be interesting!

I wonder how much this changes the face of both companies.
1/30/2013 10:00am
Roscoe33 wrote:
"KTM must lose tons of dough on their street bikes and street bike racing programs." No, they sell out every year they don't make enough to...

three9zero wrote:
Was going to same the same thing. KTM's on road line sells out every season at our shop for full retail plus destination fee's, actually most...
Was going to same the same thing. KTM's on road line sells out every season at our shop for full retail plus destination fee's, actually most of the line is sold before it has arrived at the shop........Depends on the dealer and area though, we are in a large city with a mostly white collar population. If your local shop is Dave's bikes in Chicken Scrotum, Saskatchewan and he sells 20 bikes a year to his buddies @ cost then yeah his customer base perhaps does not support KtM's on road line.
Friend's RC8R has a great motor, full of torque, much better than the magazine reviews say. Adjustable seat, clip ons and rearsets. Awesome bike.
three9zero
1/30/2013 10:04am
Roscoe33 wrote:

three9zero wrote:
Was going to same the same thing. KTM's on road line sells out every season at our shop for full retail plus destination fee's, actually most...
Friend's RC8R has a great motor, full of torque, much better than the magazine reviews say. Adjustable seat, clip ons and rearsets. Awesome bike.
Both of my 2013's are sold and I'm looking for another for a potential customer, SICK bike. Bikes should get here in May.....
1/30/2013 10:08am
three9zero wrote:
Both of my 2013's are sold and I'm looking for another for a potential customer, SICK bike. Bikes should get here in May.....
And with the slipper should be even better. A friend is a dealer, also sells all the Jap, BMW, and Duc, and of all the bikes he carries he likes the feel of that RC8R more than anything.
1/30/2013 11:21am
Roscoe33 wrote:

True Story
1/30/2013 11:39am
rmpilot wrote:
rmpilot wrote:
why not? isnt ktm the only brand increasing sales out of the big 5?
Why not? Because while the factory itself may be useful, the Italian assembly line workers are not.
1/30/2013 11:45am
Derpin' DJ wrote:
Husky / BMW technology? hahaha. That doesnt really exist. They hire independent tech firms to design stuff for them. The new Husky four strokes and direct...

Thanks, Great background story. Kind of information I would expect out of Cycle World, but fleshed out into an in-depth article. In the old days, you'd...
Thanks, Great background story. Kind of information I would expect out of Cycle World, but fleshed out into an in-depth article. In the old days, you'd see something like this in MXA or Dirtbike before anywhere else.
No problem.

The more I've thought about it, the more I think of what a shame the BMW relationship was. They dumped so much money into Husky and fixed a lot of things, but still, they are pulling out long before they ever initially intended and will never see the fruits of their investment. They expected a very unrealistic turnaround time.

If the KTM owner really has sold his shares and is buying Husky, that would mean the brand should live on. But it definitely doesn't bode we'll for the current employees and factory locale. I'd expect a total overhaul and possible move. That's just speculation based on nystyas post.

I will know the full details in the coming days.

Post a reply to: KTM buying Husky ?

The Latest