KTM and Husqvarna rumored to be quitting EnduroGP

Johnny Depp
The company that dominated it all at one time now moving on and leaving it's roots? There is much more to the story, as they are looking for more exposure for their investment. Extreme Enduro seems to hold more exposure.
I'm sure it's merely a coincidence that they have struggled in the Premier class for a few years. Blush

"Rumours are now wildfire that KTM (and Husqvarna) are withdrawing from competing at full capacity in the EnduroGP World Championship."

http://enduro21.com/index.php/endurogp/2690-sala-and-nambotin-to-lead-g…

|
philG
10/17/2017 12:00am
Yes. . Heard this at Hawkstone , definately happening. They are pulling out as factory teams but will still support others.
ando
10/17/2017 12:52am
Wonder if they are gathering resources to have a full scale tilt at MotoGP?
Motofinne
10/17/2017 2:46am
It makes sense. The interest in one off offroad races like the various extreme enduro races is way bigger than the world enduro championship. WEC is going the same route as the supermoto world championship.
Johnny Depp
10/17/2017 6:45am Edited Date/Time 10/17/2017 6:55am
I have a theory, that putting the word Enduro in a thread title around here will cause no F***S to be given, just like this one. The AMA National Enduro series has fallen off the radar. For that matter I didn't see a single mention of The GNCC championship win here.
Attendance and entrances at GNCC style races have flourished, as have Full Gas Sprint Enduros (maybe they need to lose the last part of that name?) it seems the races held not on closed courses, but with lights and tags and scorecards don't have the draw they once did. ISDE falls in this same category.
I'm sure the FIM will now have to come up with a new format to keep from losing the most prestigious teams in the history of the sport. What comes next?

The Shop

Red141
10/17/2017 6:53am
ando wrote:
Is their current MotoGP not full scale? Any inside info?
EastFlorida
10/17/2017 7:21am
I have a theory, that putting the word Enduro in a thread title around here will cause no F***S to be given, just like this one...
I have a theory, that putting the word Enduro in a thread title around here will cause no F***S to be given, just like this one. The AMA National Enduro series has fallen off the radar. For that matter I didn't see a single mention of The GNCC championship win here.
Attendance and entrances at GNCC style races have flourished, as have Full Gas Sprint Enduros (maybe they need to lose the last part of that name?) it seems the races held not on closed courses, but with lights and tags and scorecards don't have the draw they once did. ISDE falls in this same category.
I'm sure the FIM will now have to come up with a new format to keep from losing the most prestigious teams in the history of the sport. What comes next?

I agree that Enduros seem to be fading away. I believe that the Sprint Enduros may be the way of the future. It is difficult finding enough land and volunteers to lay out a 60+ mile course and they are not spectator friendly.

Hare Scrambles are packed full and spectators get to see their riders more often. I think enduros as we know them are on life support...

I like what I've seen at the J-Day events...
BobPA
10/17/2017 7:28am
I agree that Enduros seem to be fading away. I believe that the Sprint Enduros may be the way of the future. It is difficult finding...
I agree that Enduros seem to be fading away. I believe that the Sprint Enduros may be the way of the future. It is difficult finding enough land and volunteers to lay out a 60+ mile course and they are not spectator friendly.

Hare Scrambles are packed full and spectators get to see their riders more often. I think enduros as we know them are on life support...

I like what I've seen at the J-Day events...
I know my friends and I shy away from enduros because our bikes are not plated. KTM's are easy to plate, but my 06 kx 250...not so much.
early
Fantasy
2231st
10/17/2017 7:41am
ando wrote:
Red141 wrote:
I think there is a rumor they will have a satellite team and a factory team next year in motogp.
mx_563
10/17/2017 8:43am Edited Date/Time 10/17/2017 8:44am
This is a bummer. I enjoy watching the WEC series. I actually like watching it more than the hard enduro stuff. Hard enduro is lobster claws. It's a freak show. Very few people can do anything remotely close to what Jarvis, Walker, Blazusiak and those guys can do. The rest of the field is pretty much just floundering (#mxfails).

I just wish WEC ran events in North America. I think there are more opportunities to find good enduro terrain in the western hemisphere. I like watching dudes ride their enduro bikes through old European villages but it seems like they run the same small loops over and over. Imagine a WEC round in Idaho....you could run a 150 mile 2-day event and never use the same trail twice. That'd be bitchen.

On the bright side, perhaps this helps the boutique brands get more exposure and grow.
10/17/2017 9:16am
BobPA wrote:
I know my friends and I shy away from enduros because our bikes are not plated. KTM's are easy to plate, but my 06 kx 250...not...
I know my friends and I shy away from enduros because our bikes are not plated. KTM's are easy to plate, but my 06 kx 250...not so much.
I have to admit that I know nothing about enduros. Do you need a license plate in order to race one?
ando
10/17/2017 10:40am
ando wrote:
Red141 wrote:
I haven’t kept up with motoGP the last few years. I’d heard they were going to enter a team but no idea where they are at.

KTM isn’t a huge company. Just prior to their assault on US MX/SX they scaled way back on a few areas including (from memory) Dakar.
ando
10/17/2017 10:47am
It will be a pity if it dies. I believe that the WEC develops better all round off road riding skills, which is why guys like Watts, Salminen, Knight etc were able to come to the GNCC series and dominate straight away.

Problem is that traditional enduro format is not very spectator or TV friendly.
Red141
10/17/2017 11:04am
ando wrote:
Red141 wrote:
ando wrote:
I haven’t kept up with motoGP the last few years. I’d heard they were going to enter a team but no idea where they are at...
I haven’t kept up with motoGP the last few years. I’d heard they were going to enter a team but no idea where they are at.

KTM isn’t a huge company. Just prior to their assault on US MX/SX they scaled way back on a few areas including (from memory) Dakar.
They launched their MotoGP assault full time this year. I thought their effort was commendable for their first year.
philG
10/17/2017 11:17am
ando wrote:
Red141 wrote:
ando wrote:
I haven’t kept up with motoGP the last few years. I’d heard they were going to enter a team but no idea where they are at...

They are already having a full tilt at MotoGP with Espagaro and Bradley Smith , with Mika Kallio doing some races too, and a full Moto2 and Moto3 program
SPYGUY
Fantasy
748th
10/17/2017 12:12pm
I have a theory, that putting the word Enduro in a thread title around here will cause no F***S to be given, just like this one...

National Enduro has fallen off the radar? Most rounds of the series sell out well in advance.

It'll obviously never get the coverage of other, easier to film, races like GNCC, but the actual turnouts at the events are quite healthy.
SPYGUY
Fantasy
748th
10/17/2017 12:13pm
I have to admit that I know nothing about enduros. Do you need a license plate in order to race one?
Not in most areas of the country. The plate requirement is pretty much a New England thing.
fins227
10/17/2017 12:23pm
SPYGUY wrote:
Not in most areas of the country. The plate requirement is pretty much a New England thing.
Ohio too which is what keeps me from riding enduros, that and riding on the road scares the shit outta me!
BobPA
10/17/2017 12:35pm
SPYGUY wrote:
There are a few enduros where you do not need a plate, but most require one.
Johnny Depp
10/17/2017 4:28pm
So what comes next?
The answer lies in a full mix of challenges, very much like Hawkstone was. Start with a MX track with some land beside it and cut some trails, build an Endurocross section near the pits, make a trials section and run them all each lap. If it was me (I'm a little crazy like that) I'd run them on a "supermoto" section of pavement as well. (they do run lights and plates). The idea is to bring several disciplines together for what is conceivably the best test of all forms of riding in one place.

The "problems" with the" Enduro" format is riders don't race each other as much as the clock. Another is that they disappear and don't return for a long time with no racing in view of spectators. That makes for boring video and fan action. Multiple gate drops and side by side racing as well as timed sections. Do laps and keep them reasonable, maybe 10 minutes. Run "motos" long enough to be in great shape, but not long enough to be boring. 30 minutes?

Let me coin the phrase for the next generation races: "Moto-XC" Moto Cross Country.
dcg141
10/17/2017 8:11pm
I hate to see it but most of my customers know very little of the WEC. With their race programs around the world KTM is probably participating in more events at a factory level than anyone else. Something had to give. I sell GasGas also so now they will have some time in the sun hopefully.
doofy
10/17/2017 10:08pm
ando wrote:
It will be a pity if it dies. I believe that the WEC develops better all round off road riding skills, which is why guys like...
It will be a pity if it dies. I believe that the WEC develops better all round off road riding skills, which is why guys like Watts, Salminen, Knight etc were able to come to the GNCC series and dominate straight away.

Problem is that traditional enduro format is not very spectator or TV friendly.
This. Most of the greats came from that series. Then would come to gncc and clean house
10/18/2017 1:09am
The WEC has become a joke in recent years with the courses not being world level quality. Wouldnt be surprised for more factories to pull out and focus efforts else where like hard enduro or enduro cross
tek14
10/18/2017 5:16am
ando wrote:
Red141 wrote:
early wrote:
I think there is a rumor they will have a satellite team and a factory team next year in motogp.
KTM wanted to bring 3rd Factory bike for Mika Kallio who out performed Smith on wild car races he did this year.
Dorna said no.
Giving Factory bike for support team would help this problem as well and there is long line of
fast guys who would ride for them as second rider as well.
Its just different level than FIM enduro, that is difficult to build for TV.
Johnny Depp
10/18/2017 8:32am
I guess you walk or don't see the race. Make criminals out of your fans, great concept.

"Event organisers strongly emphasise that it will be a criminal offence for people to travel without the legitimacy of the organiser offroad by motorbike. This is done without consideration for the rank and name of the person concerned."

http://enduro21.com/index.php/endurogp/2699-endurogp-in-zschopau-what-t…
RG1
10/18/2017 11:02am
Makes sense to me. All the interest in Enduro these days is in extreme Enduro, endurocross etc. The EWC isn't televised at all and there's no one at the events. There are far bigger fish to fry
wfo4ever
10/18/2017 3:17pm Edited Date/Time 10/18/2017 3:19pm
I hate to bring this up but this is only the start of a trend. Factory race programs are for the purpose of R&D, sponsors to help with the costs and most of all to help sell motorcycles. Motorcycle sales are not doing well for most manufacturers. Harley is also having sales numbers dropping. The reason is very simple to figure out and so is the solution. Our sport of riding or racing motorcycles needs a huge increase in the number of new riders every year. That is the answer and that is the problem. Millions of new riders are needed to keep this profitable for the manufacturers. Todays youth could careless about a motorcycle if it is a street or a dirt bike. No profits means no need to be in this business unless you like loosing money. Honda has actually already looked at pulling out of the motorcycle market completely. They make money selling cars and they are doing very well in that market. Imagine how much profit Honda makes on dirt bike sales? If you owned Honda what would you be focused on? The new CR and CRF line or the new Civic and Accord line of vehicles? The answer is obvious. I know people will say look at KTM's orange and white bike sales numbers and say they are doing well. Well they are a small company in a big world. They will also need new riders to survive like all the others. Lack of new riders will be the fatal blow to this industry and sport. Go to any school in the US grades K-12 and ask all the students to raise their hand if they own and ride a motorcycle. There is the proof. Sad but true.
Johnny Depp
10/22/2017 7:39am
Interesting comment from Pascal Raucheneker, E2 rider on the Husky Rockstar 250 4t who took the overall (all classes included) at the 3 hour at Hawkstone Park. We may see him over here in GNCC's next year?

rauchi766with a 1st in the supertest yesterday and a 5th place today here in zschopau i could secure my 4th place in the championship.. really happy about my season and i want to thank all the team for the great support.. tomorrow for sure i will give my best for a last time even if in the standings nothing can happen anymore.. i am a bit sad that i have to leave a great sport and an awesome team next year but i am happy to go away from a stupid promoter.. enduro abc is just killing the sport.. i raced only 2 years the enduro world championship but it was enough to reganize that it could be so much better and bigger.. this weekend also so many fans ask me if i would come to the superenduro in riesa.. i am really sorry but i dont want to be anymore the clown for enduro abc.. next week i will race the final round of the gncc in usa.. it will be my last race of the season.. really excited and thankful to get the opportunity to do this one.. big thanks for that.. #rockstarhusky #husqvarna1903 #endurogp
10/22/2017 11:58am

Enduro is awesome. Sprint Enduros are equally awesome.

These are great events for amateur racers. It's no surprise it's not growing in popularity.

Why is pro racing down? My theory is that it is NOT due to the format of the racing. It is due to how it is delivered.

I think drones have the capacity to show fans the whole race (following from above in a video game type view) that would really showcase how awesome enduro racing is.

It will never be fan friendly live in person like SX is. It takes a special breed to want to climb up some cliff to wait all day to see guys for only a few seconds as they pass bye. But that is ok. Live internet streaming is how you get the most exposure. And drones are the way to deliver it IMO.

As for Husky & KTM pulling their factory efforts.... meh. I think it will be good for the championship. It's not like they wont be fielding satellite teams. There will be less cheating.

I think resources have been diverted to MotoGP (and getting great results) and Rally has had a resurgence.

Post a reply to: KTM and Husqvarna rumored to be quitting EnduroGP

The Latest