KTM and AFT (American Flat Track)

mjskier
Edited Date/Time 5/25/2018 4:39pm
Guess who was at the American Flat Track race in Sacramento on Saturday.
I know it is only a 28mn drive from Hangtown, but still, after a day at the race, you'd think Roger would like to take a break
One of the racer posted this pic and said "The Man" photo bombed him.

KTM is enterintg AFT next year. They must be pretty serious about it!

|
mxtech1
5/24/2018 10:20am Edited Date/Time 5/24/2018 10:39am
KTM isn't entertaining flat track, they have already announced a factory effort in the upcoming years.

I look for them to land a contract with a top contender, and if they do, I expect them to dominate the field based on what they have done in other offroad disciplines.

I also think KTM will be the first OEM to offer a DTX bike.
5/24/2018 12:47pm
KTM is coming in to win races/titles, not just be another manufacturer on the grid. I'm sure Roger and KTM brass want to get things done the right way and survey the current landscape. Flat track is certainly different from the motocross world, much smaller community with a different mindset on setting bikes up. I don't see KTM offering a "race version" for flat track, yet, as the market is so small.
lumpy790
5/24/2018 1:13pm
Wish I was headed to Springfield TT this weekend!

The Shop

Ted722
5/24/2018 1:17pm Edited Date/Time 5/25/2018 3:31am
Would be cool to see The Man in the tech area after a KTM sweep. Glad I went last Sat.
mxtech1
5/24/2018 1:24pm
KTM is coming in to win races/titles, not just be another manufacturer on the grid. I'm sure Roger and KTM brass want to get things done...
KTM is coming in to win races/titles, not just be another manufacturer on the grid. I'm sure Roger and KTM brass want to get things done the right way and survey the current landscape. Flat track is certainly different from the motocross world, much smaller community with a different mindset on setting bikes up. I don't see KTM offering a "race version" for flat track, yet, as the market is so small.
A big reason why the market is so small right now is because you have to buy a bike and then immediately drop a bunch of money on lowered suspension, wheel/tire set. downturn exhaust, etc. That scares a lot of newbies away right off the bat.

If the average guy could buy a new bike and take it directly to the race, that's a game changer and it's silly to think KTM is not at least considering it. KTM is agile enough that a guy should be able to walk into a dealer and place a custom order for a DTX option.

I honestly think if they offered a DTX bike we would see a spike in numbers.
mjskier
5/24/2018 4:19pm
I got into it for about $2k (I provided my own 07 crf450r though :-)

Setting suspension is around $650 from Durell Racing. So pretty much in line with doing it for MX.

I laced my own wheels to save some money
Front rim & spoke kit 2.15 silver $336.00
Rear rim & spoke kit 2.75 silver $352.00

Of course you can go much more expensive with quick change hubs, ride height control on the shock...

I kept the original exhaust. I'm sure for some people the low exhaust makes a difference, but for me it isn't worth the hassle of not being able to put the bike on a stand, or having to lose the kick starter.

And of course, a steel shoe. I got mine from http://lightshoe.com/. Awesome customer service.

So not that bad, but of course it is a bit of a hassle if you don't enjoy wrenching. Lacing the wheel is definitely not as simple as it looks! :-)
I'm not sure that is what is keeping the market small, but It would indeed be awesome to just be able to walk into a dealership and buy a flat track bike already setup.

kiwifan
5/24/2018 4:38pm
Thats cool, hopefully the other manufacturers follow suit
5/25/2018 4:39pm
Wonder if the new 790 has the legs to run with the Indian FTR ? Setting up what is basically a DTX bike starting with a 450 is not a big undertaking. When the framed bikes were still legal, it was much more time consuming to track down, machine, finesse all the pieces together to build a winner.

Better allow some extra coin for a competitive 450 engine these days on the National level. And enough coin to buy another one just in case. Using stock 450's as a platform has not really saved much money for teams by the time the bike hits the track.

Post a reply to: KTM and AFT (American Flat Track)

The Latest