KTM XC gearing for moto/GNCC

Pirate421
Hey everyone, like the title says I’m looking to change the gearing on my 2020 250xc. I like in Kentucky and have done mostly moto but will be doing a few msxc off-road races this fall.

The few practice days I’ve had on it were good but third gear was ok, a little short but 4th was skyscraper tall it felt like. Looking to see if anyone has changed their gearing to make the bike a bit more versatile. Stock gearing is 13/51. I read an article from last year or two years ago that Russell Bobbitt was running 13/49 on his 250xcf that was also geared 13/51 stock, but couldn’t find any other info. Seems like most GNCC pro bike checks I’ve read, they have mostly dropped a tooth at the rear sprocket. I’ve ordered a 50 tooth to see if I can stretch third and second maybe.

Anyone ventured away from stock gearing for this type of riding (east coast woods/moto, no hard enduro) and had any luck? Thanks.
|
woodsgoon
9/15/2020 5:00am
Pirate421 wrote:
Hey everyone, like the title says I’m looking to change the gearing on my 2020 250xc. I like in Kentucky and have done mostly moto but...
Hey everyone, like the title says I’m looking to change the gearing on my 2020 250xc. I like in Kentucky and have done mostly moto but will be doing a few msxc off-road races this fall.

The few practice days I’ve had on it were good but third gear was ok, a little short but 4th was skyscraper tall it felt like. Looking to see if anyone has changed their gearing to make the bike a bit more versatile. Stock gearing is 13/51. I read an article from last year or two years ago that Russell Bobbitt was running 13/49 on his 250xcf that was also geared 13/51 stock, but couldn’t find any other info. Seems like most GNCC pro bike checks I’ve read, they have mostly dropped a tooth at the rear sprocket. I’ve ordered a 50 tooth to see if I can stretch third and second maybe.

Anyone ventured away from stock gearing for this type of riding (east coast woods/moto, no hard enduro) and had any luck? Thanks.
There is few places in the MSXC series that you will be that high in the gearbox. You cant go off anything on bobbitts bike because 1: hes other worldly faster than you and 2: its a 4 stroke. You also cant go off anything a GNCC pro bike does because of the same reasons, plus GNCC is WAY WAY faster paced than a MSXC. If i were you, id wait until after a couple races. I raced many MSXC and other woods series in the indiana/kentucky as well as national enduros across eastern US on bone stock gearing on multiple different bikes. (ktm 250xcf, yz250f, and crf250r)
Pirate421
9/15/2020 5:26am
woodsgoon wrote:
There is few places in the MSXC series that you will be that high in the gearbox. You cant go off anything on bobbitts bike because...
There is few places in the MSXC series that you will be that high in the gearbox. You cant go off anything on bobbitts bike because 1: hes other worldly faster than you and 2: its a 4 stroke. You also cant go off anything a GNCC pro bike does because of the same reasons, plus GNCC is WAY WAY faster paced than a MSXC. If i were you, id wait until after a couple races. I raced many MSXC and other woods series in the indiana/kentucky as well as national enduros across eastern US on bone stock gearing on multiple different bikes. (ktm 250xcf, yz250f, and crf250r)
Thanks. Yea I’m obviously nowhere near their level I was just using those bikes as a gauge of where they were going with the gearing. Like I said I ride a fair bit of Mx too and 4th gear is just so tall that the bike just falls on its face after third gear runs out of lungs. Hoping that I could stretch third gear maybe for those straightaways.

Post a reply to: KTM XC gearing for moto/GNCC

The Latest