KTM Husky GasGas and Vortex ignitions

Jack_Wagon
At Washougal my son's GasGas MC250F randomly cut off during qualifying. As he was pushing it off the track it started back up. We changed the starter relay as I've had problems with them before. We also changed the ECU back to the OEM. No more problems for the rest of the day. He posted something about it cutting off on his Instagram and several people responded asking if he was using a Vortex ignition. When he replied that he indeed was using a Vortex ignition he received several similar stories about them cutting off.
Is this a common problem with Austrian bikes and Vortex ignitions, and I somehow have never heard anything about it? Is there a known fix?

|
rjg
7/24/2022 6:27pm
I've heard 1 other story about this from a duel sport rider who has a vortex in his ktm 500. 1.5 year old vortex
wrc777
Fantasy
587th
7/24/2022 6:32pm
Is that what happened to Dungey at Washougal?
langhammx
Fantasy
581st
7/24/2022 6:36pm
wrc777 wrote:
Is that what happened to Dungey at Washougal?
They are running a Vortex on the factory KTM’s, but Ryan did say it was electrical.
langhammx
Fantasy
581st
7/24/2022 6:39pm
Jack_Wagon wrote:
At Washougal my son's GasGas MC250F randomly cut off during qualifying. As he was pushing it off the track it started back up. We changed the...
At Washougal my son's GasGas MC250F randomly cut off during qualifying. As he was pushing it off the track it started back up. We changed the starter relay as I've had problems with them before. We also changed the ECU back to the OEM. No more problems for the rest of the day. He posted something about it cutting off on his Instagram and several people responded asking if he was using a Vortex ignition. When he replied that he indeed was using a Vortex ignition he received several similar stories about them cutting off.
Is this a common problem with Austrian bikes and Vortex ignitions, and I somehow have never heard anything about it? Is there a known fix?

I’ve ran a Vortex on many of my bikes, along with 5 different KTM’s. I’ve never had any issues with mine. I don’t know anyone personally who has, but there’s probably some who have had some. Depending on how it’s mapped could play a part in causing other electrical issues, but I can’t help answer your questions

The Shop

watson90
7/24/2022 6:57pm
This is odd because I’m running a vortex mapped from twisted, and my bike has randomly cut off a few times like I’m holding the kill switch.
Jack_Wagon
7/24/2022 7:12pm
watson90 wrote:
This is odd because I’m running a vortex mapped from twisted, and my bike has randomly cut off a few times like I’m holding the kill...
This is odd because I’m running a vortex mapped from twisted, and my bike has randomly cut off a few times like I’m holding the kill switch.
I hope you have stopped using it until you get it sorted
Brent
7/24/2022 7:29pm Edited Date/Time 7/24/2022 10:03pm
Could it be that the TPS end points were not set when they were adjusted or installed?

In case they were not, every time the ECU programming is changed, or adjustments made to fuel trim or mapping screws, a Vortex must have end points re- set per the manufacturer's directions by pressing the kill button and start button at the same time on full closed and full open throttle positions.

We have been using a total of 4 different Vortex mapped by XPR on my 2022 KTM's here, and are also running them on Husqvarna 250's in Holland in race conditions for about a year now with no issue. (so far)

Rotaholic
7/24/2022 7:42pm
I have definitely seen this issue pop up on different forums, but there are so many variables its hard to say if, and why it's the vortex.
paddyB745
7/24/2022 8:10pm
I’ve had a used vortex act up on my Kawi. Would be hard to start sometimes and would run like crap. Cut out a few times as well. Never figured out why but ended up buying a brand new one with the same maps from twisted as the old one and haven’t had any issues.
7/24/2022 8:22pm
Jack_Wagon wrote:
At Washougal my son's GasGas MC250F randomly cut off during qualifying. As he was pushing it off the track it started back up. We changed the...

This is common when bike is pressure washed with vortex ignitions, it says in the paper work states clearly to NOT WASH MOTORCYCLE WITH VORTEX IGNITION INSTALLED!
MKMX
7/24/2022 8:24pm
I remember in one of Dean Ferris’s Vlogs he has ECU issues on a pumpkin which looked to have been a vortex.

That’s the only time I can recall having heard of it happening.
Gravel
7/24/2022 9:12pm
Mine runs great! 2018 500, the vortex has been on it for about 3 years.
viking174
Fantasy
2183rd
7/24/2022 10:26pm
Jack_Wagon wrote:

This is common when bike is pressure washed with vortex ignitions, it says in the paper work states clearly to NOT WASH MOTORCYCLE WITH VORTEX IGNITION...
This is common when bike is pressure washed with vortex ignitions, it says in the paper work states clearly to NOT WASH MOTORCYCLE WITH VORTEX IGNITION INSTALLED!
I run a vortex on my husqavarna fc450 and I’ve always pressure washed my bike and sometimes carelessly.
Not one issue, I ride about 4 days a week sometimes more.
7/24/2022 11:20pm
viking174 wrote:
I run a vortex on my husqavarna fc450 and I’ve always pressure washed my bike and sometimes carelessly. Not one issue, I ride about 4 days...
I run a vortex on my husqavarna fc450 and I’ve always pressure washed my bike and sometimes carelessly.
Not one issue, I ride about 4 days a week sometimes more.
a friend of mine i do bike work for, pressure washed his bike with vortex igntion on it (2016 YZ250F) and it failed almost instantly, he had it on the bike for probably around 12 hours…

The one before that he had on there about 80 hours and failed…

Both were pressure washed…..

I personally would never pay 1k for a box and 250$ per map, and then pressure wash it, not worth taking the chance especially on a WP bike, the seat to pull it off is literally one screw…..

Just dont pressure wash them and you will be all good.
7/25/2022 2:18am
I ran a vortex box on my KTM 450 last year with zero problems.
yz763
7/25/2022 5:00am
Brent wrote:
Could it be that the TPS end points were not set when they were adjusted or installed? In case they were not, every time the ECU...
Could it be that the TPS end points were not set when they were adjusted or installed?

In case they were not, every time the ECU programming is changed, or adjustments made to fuel trim or mapping screws, a Vortex must have end points re- set per the manufacturer's directions by pressing the kill button and start button at the same time on full closed and full open throttle positions.

We have been using a total of 4 different Vortex mapped by XPR on my 2022 KTM's here, and are also running them on Husqvarna 250's in Holland in race conditions for about a year now with no issue. (so far)

This here. I had a vortex on on a KTM 350. It would occasionally cut out after maps were switched. A quick TPS endpoint reset and all was good.
Jdawggg
7/25/2022 5:39pm
I was running a Vortex x10 on my 21' KTM 450 sxf and had a few times were the bike would bog and die almost like a flame out or felt like being out of gas (never happened on jump faces) I would stop and restart and it ran fine only happened maybe 2 or 3 times in a couple of years and I never knew why? Stock ECU never had this issue
mvd61
7/25/2022 6:12pm
Had one on a 2020 yz250fx. Started cutting out bad but never fully shut off. Put stock ecu back on no issues. 2021 Honda 450rx had it shut off a few random times but always fired up and never missed a beat. Same ecu on my 22 450rx and it has done it twice in 30 hours.
Hcallz5
7/25/2022 7:14pm
Never had any issues on my 350 so far. I'm wondering if it's heat related.
rjg
7/25/2022 7:39pm
They do feel warm during operation

Post a reply to: KTM Husky GasGas and Vortex ignitions

The Latest