KTM/Husky E-Mini news?

mikec265
Edited Date/Time 9/26/2019 8:42am
So far I have been told most dealers won't have them. The mechanics are required to take a class to work on them in order for the dealer to sell them.

Does anyone have any new info on these? Looking for a review, and availability date in the states.
Any reviews from overseas where the Husky was supposedly released already?

The old thread is dead, so I started a new one.
|
mikec265
9/17/2019 11:52am
I was told Fall, and the first official day of Fall is in 6 days.
peltier626
9/17/2019 11:53am Edited Date/Time 9/17/2019 4:03pm
It seems they are like ghosts. Who knows?
early
Fantasy
2231st
9/19/2019 6:40am
Weege teasing more than the e50?

The Shop

-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
9/19/2019 8:26am
From KTM

KTM is proud of its innovative approach to motorcycling, and no more so than the introduction of a new electrically powered junior machine, the KTM SX-E 5. Announced last year, this READY TO RACE model grows with the rider whilst offering premium performance along with all of the benefits that electrically powered vehicles enjoy.

KTM has put a lot of effort and all of its of electric know-how that’s evolved over the last 10 years into the development of the KTM SX-E 5. The result is a highly competitive electric minicycle with a comparable power output to the KTM 50 SX, yet with minimal maintenance and noise. The bike has six power modes allowing a complete beginner to step onto a READY TO RACE machine with ease, whilst the full power mode is exciting and challenging for the fastest junior. With a premium chassis developed by our KTM engineers, the KTM SX-E 5 is fully adjustable in terms of ride height, especially with the additional KTM PowerParts lowering kit, and is aimed at riders aged three to 10 years old. The bike grows with the rider both in ability, and in size – a special feature for this high-quality machine.

This innovative junior bike has an electric motor powered by an ultra-modern lithium-ion battery pack with a robust housing for maximum protection and safety was really at the core of the development of this new model. The power is smooth and controllable offering rideability benefits over other bikes in its class, whilst also providing fantastic agility on the motocross course. Like its combustion counterpart, the KTM SX-E 5 is fitted with WP XACT 35 air fork technology, as well as the WP XACT shock absorber, and it also features high-quality components such as premium disc brakes, cast footpegs, tapered aluminum handlebars and proper race ergonomics. In fact, the KTM SX-E 5 has undergone the same development process as the bigger SX models as raced by the Red Bull KTM Factory Racing Team. It’s truly an exciting, safe, innovative yet racy machine that will create new riding possibilities for riders and tracks in the future.

“The KTM SX-E 5 is a model we’re really excited to see arrive in dealers. It offers a premium chassis, like those on all of our SX models, but also a lot in terms of rideability thanks to the electric motor, as it’s easy to ride, but at the same time it can be super-fast without making noise. We tested the bike with such a wide range of riders; the complete beginner can ride on a track almost straight away with this bike as it’s so easy to ride, yet a national level rider can have comparable lap times to that of the combustion bike, which is something special. The adjustability of the bike means that a rider can use it for years as they get faster – they can also be more independent in the operation of the bike, and apart from oiling the chain there is really minimal maintenance required. In terms of safety the electronics team worked hard to reach a really high level, and so with top level performance combined with a huge adaptability for the rider, the KTM SX-E 5 is a fantastic new model in the KTM line-up,” said Joachim Sauer, KTM Senior Product Manager Offroad.

The e-mobility sector is becoming an important part of modern travel, and KTM has a dedicated R&D team working on this segment that are developing platforms for KTM’s future plans in e-powered motorcycles. This, combined with years of knowledge in creating premium sportmotorcycles, ensures that KTM is at the forefront of e-technology. KTM has announced it is committed to 4kw-18kw (peak power), low voltage motors and is working to adhere to the most stringent safety standards. The launch of the KTM SX-E 5 an exciting next chapter in KTM’s e-mobility story.

The new KTM SX-E 5 will be available during the last quarter of 2019 at authorized KTM dealers.

-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
9/19/2019 8:37am
early wrote:
Weege teasing more than the e50? [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/09/19/373778/s1200_Screenshot_20190919_093922.jpg[/img]
Weege teasing more than the e50?

Breaking News

Cobra Introducing New Electric 50-Sized Dirt Bike for 2021.

The electric mini news keeps coming! Cobra, which has been making high-performance 50cc minicycles since 1993, will introduce a 2021 model electric minicycle a week from now at the 2019 AIMExpo. In addition, Cobra will display an E-assist race bicycle.

We've talked to Cobra a bit about this new dirt bike and the process behind it. Cobra and KTM, competitors in the market place, have been working together for a few years to communicate with race officials on classes and ideas for electric motocross minicycles. It appears the time is coming soon, as we have heard about proposed electric-only minicycle classes, and now the market will soon feature new models intended to compete in those divisions.

We'll see the 2021 Cobra CX-E5 next Thursday morning at the AIMExpo. In the meantime, here's today's press release directly from Cobra.

U.S. motorcycle manufacturer Cobra MOTO, LLC is announcing the debut of two radically new products at the 2019 AIMExpo presented by Nationwide next week.

“The entire Cobra team has been working incredibly hard,” said Sean Hilbert, Cobra’s president. “We are never going to stray from our core mission of manufacturing the finest youth competition vehicles in the world, and we have been laser focused on the emerging technologies that will help define our evolving market into the future.”

Hilbert continued, “The all-new products we are debuting this year at the AIMExpo will revolutionize youth racing on two wheels.”

Cobra will first unveil its incredible CX-E5. This is the company’s first battery electric motorcycle, and it is designed to compete in the future Electric Limited youth classes in AMA competition. This incredible minicycle features similar performance to the current Cobra 50cc internal combustion engine offerings, a quick-change battery, and several operation modes so parents can meter out performance according to skill level. This model will make its debut in the 2021 model year.

Second on the agenda will be Cobra’s first entry into the e-bicycle market. The “Iron Man” model e-bike is designed as both a training tool for hard-core minicycle racers and as a race bicycle in its own right. “We’re doing essentially the same thing in the e-bicycle market as we did in the minicycle market nearly 30 years ago,” said Hilbert. “We’re forging new territory by bringing to market a high-end competition e-bike for youth racers.” The Iron Man will be powered by Shimano’s DU-E7000 e-driveline and will feature full suspension, 24-inch wheels, and high-end componentry. It will be ready for the most demanding off-road conditions.

The world will get a chance to see these models for the first time on Thursday September 26th at 11:00am EST at Cobra’s AIMExpo booth (#2415). We’ll see you there!

About Cobra Moto

Cobra Moto, founded in 1993, produces the most successful line of competition minicycles in the United States with more than 500 national titles in the last decade. Based out of Hillsdale, Mich., Cobra Moto’s mission is to build premium products for the serious racer. For more information on Cobra products, please visit our website at www.cobramoto.com and like us on Cobra Nation on Facebook.
Wells423
9/19/2019 8:49am
As a mini dad I have to say I’m stoked!!
mikec265
9/19/2019 8:52am
I wonder how the speed, power, and suspension are going to stack up against a lowered stock KX65 with a Rekluse. My 5 year old isn't going to want to take a power cut, and at 50 pounds he's using all the suspension on a bike designed for bigger kids. I kind of question the 3 -10 year old adjustable sizing, but seeing will be believing when they finally release all the info.
Mr. Afterbar
9/19/2019 10:07am
Hope this doesn't mean there will be another 50 class at the local races.
aaryn #234
Fantasy
2475th
9/19/2019 4:37pm
Hope this doesn't mean there will be another 50 class at the local races.
Imagine all the generators filled with Petrol that will be needed in the pits to charge the bikes between the races.

Actually think the bike is cool, if I had a little more cash I would buy my son one for next year (Just purchased another 50 last week)

But it sort of defeats the purpose having an electric race bike that will need to be re-charged in remote area's at most race tracks with a petrol powered generator needed to then charge between races.

Though I guess it will take less gas to recharge than you would go through during a race meeting?

Still very interested to see how they go and I guess in years to come with longer lasting batteries, KTM will have some decent on track testing behind them starting with the smaller bikes
9/19/2019 4:49pm
aaryn #234 wrote:
Imagine all the generators filled with Petrol that will be needed in the pits to charge the bikes between the races. Actually think the bike is...
Imagine all the generators filled with Petrol that will be needed in the pits to charge the bikes between the races.

Actually think the bike is cool, if I had a little more cash I would buy my son one for next year (Just purchased another 50 last week)

But it sort of defeats the purpose having an electric race bike that will need to be re-charged in remote area's at most race tracks with a petrol powered generator needed to then charge between races.

Though I guess it will take less gas to recharge than you would go through during a race meeting?

Still very interested to see how they go and I guess in years to come with longer lasting batteries, KTM will have some decent on track testing behind them starting with the smaller bikes
You're assuming a gas generator is the method used to produce the power to recharge the bike at the track. I think in many cases that would be true. However, some tracks, ORV parks, etc have RV hookups that can be used to pull power from the grid. If these spots don't have the power outlets already, i think it would be an easy investment and would support the influx of e-bikes and ultimately the transition towards quieter dirtbikes. I know many tracks here in Southern California are located in Indian reservations and get special (sometimes subsidized) rates on utilities, so the overall cost to tracks here would be minimal. I could be wrong...
scott_nz
Fantasy
840th
9/19/2019 4:51pm Edited Date/Time 9/19/2019 4:51pm
aaryn #234 wrote:
Imagine all the generators filled with Petrol that will be needed in the pits to charge the bikes between the races. Actually think the bike is...

as someone that ran a club, and knows what mini parents are like, i can imagine they will be hounding the clubs to put chargers in,
aaryn #234
Fantasy
2475th
9/19/2019 5:17pm
aaryn #234 wrote:

scott_nz wrote:
as someone that ran a club, and knows what mini parents are like, i can imagine they will be hounding the clubs to put chargers in,
Will have to jack entry prices up for the E-classes, $10 Power Levy so clubs don't go broke from the increased power bill.

There a lot of positives to this bike for sure and as technology continues to improve and battery life lasts longer it will be great.

If these came out 12 months ago we would have built a little track behind the trees at the local park and rode every day haha.

Maybe I can talk KTM Aus, into lending us one for six months and do a back to back comparison with the current 50sx, well the 2019 model I just picked up.

Would be interesting to see how much difference the maintenance is on the two bikes, and if there is any great saving over the course of 6-12 months.

No more clutch oil being changed every moto, no clutch replacement, no more top end every 20-25hrs, no air filters, air filter oil, no more radiator replacements Smile , Stator?

Just an increased electricity bill and the local park being torn up Laughing
FARANG
9/19/2019 5:36pm
Looks awesome.

They must be getting pretty close to a 250F equivalent. I'll buy one as soon as they are released.
mikec265
9/19/2019 7:16pm
FARANG wrote:
Looks awesome.

They must be getting pretty close to a 250F equivalent. I'll buy one as soon as they are released.
The first major manufacturer to have something reasonably close to an Alta will get my money. We'll wait and see which e-mini is the highest performing. As long as it's pretty fast and physically the same size as a 50sx senior we'll probably have one, or a Cobra e-mini if it's better performing. At this point I wouldn't trade my Alta for anything else currently available.
9/20/2019 9:19am Edited Date/Time 9/20/2019 9:19am
I can't speak for the rest of the world but a mini parent shouldn't need a generator or charger to race two 4 lap moto's for an all electric class with 6 hours of waiting in between. If they're making a class for Loretta's one would believe that the bikes will get at least 20 minutes on a charge.
oceantrav
9/20/2019 9:42am
Everyone is already running generators always for AC and Fans at the tracks in Florida....
mx 219
Fantasy
857th
9/20/2019 10:05am
I thought someone posted a speculation price around $4299 MSRP (or more) in the last thread.
mx 219
Fantasy
857th
9/20/2019 12:33pm
I was off, the $4299 msrp was the current 50 in USA.

here is what a guy in Finland said: Price here in Finland Husqvarna e50 is 4999 € and coming in September. That is 5430 dollars.

KTM SX 50 costs 3999 € 4350 dollars.

I think you are dreaming if you think they will touch 4k. MX is transitioning to a rich man's sport.
kage173
9/20/2019 12:47pm
Gas Gas was ahead of the game. Brought these bikes to market a couple of years ago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIMd6sPwLFs

Personally I'm torn on this. One the one hand, I think E-bikes are the answer to we've been looking for to grow moto in many ways. On the other hand I know it's a way for the OEMs to jack prices up, which will hurt my pocket book.

I'm not against them making money, just stating a fact that these bikes will be pricey and I don't have infinite $.
Helda
9/20/2019 1:21pm
mikec265 wrote:
I wonder how the speed, power, and suspension are going to stack up against a lowered stock KX65 with a Rekluse. My 5 year old isn't...
I wonder how the speed, power, and suspension are going to stack up against a lowered stock KX65 with a Rekluse. My 5 year old isn't going to want to take a power cut, and at 50 pounds he's using all the suspension on a bike designed for bigger kids. I kind of question the 3 -10 year old adjustable sizing, but seeing will be believing when they finally release all the info.
3-10 year sizing? What bike are you talking about?
mikec265
9/20/2019 1:28pm
mikec265 wrote:
I wonder how the speed, power, and suspension are going to stack up against a lowered stock KX65 with a Rekluse. My 5 year old isn't...
Helda wrote:
That's what KTM is claiming.
Helda
9/20/2019 1:41pm
mikec265 wrote:
Helda wrote:
mikec265 wrote:
They're on meth if it is based on a 50sx Snr!
mikec265
9/20/2019 2:10pm
Helda wrote:
mikec265 wrote:
Helda wrote:
Supposed to be adjustable ergonomics, but I can't see a 10 year old using it for anything but a pitbike unless they came up with something really innovative.
XC706
Fantasy
668th
9/20/2019 7:28pm
mikec265 wrote:
Helda wrote:
mikec265 wrote:
Supposed to be adjustable ergonomics, but I can't see a 10 year old using it for anything but a pitbike unless they came up with something...
Supposed to be adjustable ergonomics, but I can't see a 10 year old using it for anything but a pitbike unless they came up with something really innovative.
Correct, 6 different adjustable sizes, 6 different power settings. They will not be 4K usd, gonna be considerably more.
Up here they will likely be just under 6K cdn. Keep in mind KTM retail Canadian prices are subsidized when compared to US retail prices and the exchange rate.

Post a reply to: KTM/Husky E-Mini news?

The Latest