Related:
Create New Tag

2/11/2021 4:08 PM

|

2/11/2021 4:22 PM

Cool a new chain

|

2/11/2021 4:41 PM

Well mine held out fine up until I replaced it.

|

2/11/2021 5:45 PM

Not surprising

|

2/11/2021 5:52 PM

Yes. Not surprising that, unlike most other brands, KTM stands behind their products.

|

2/11/2021 6:02 PM

Yzf916 wrote:

Yes. Not surprising that, unlike most other brands, KTM stands behind their products.

They have to when they break all the time

|

Alright Lunger, Let's Do It

2/11/2021 6:42 PM

Your forgetting that you have to go on to ktm's website and put your vin # in. Both my 21's came back negative on the recall.

|

2/11/2021 7:26 PM

I must’ve got three good ones in a row then. Two over 130hrs. Change oil and clean air filters. Not one single problem. Strong as the day I bought them. And current, 60hrs, same. Glad I got so lucky.

|

2/11/2021 8:59 PM

Yzf916 wrote:

Yamaha had a recall for the early 2014 YZ450 for a master link. Think that counts for standing behind their product.

|

2017 RMZ450
2005 YZ250-sold :,(
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

80% of the time it works every time
IG @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

2/11/2021 10:36 PM

How could there be one recall affecting three different manufacturers?

|

2/12/2021 1:22 AM

DirtDart wrote:

I will wait here for someone more respectable to break the news for you.... unsure

|

the ultimate MX renegade from the east shore of the big cold pond

2/12/2021 1:49 AM

cure, an extra tooth on the rear and make sure the link pin is facing the correct direction cool

|

2/12/2021 5:27 AM

DirtDart wrote:

Last Braaap wrote:

I will wait here for someone more respectable to break the news for you.... unsure

Its probably an interchangeable part between the manufacturers. I'm just guessing that since KTM/Gas Gas/ Husky are so closely related.

|

Give 'em what they want and more of it.

2/12/2021 6:18 AM

Regina?

|

2/12/2021 6:32 AM

DirtDart wrote:

Last Braaap wrote:

I'm out

|

2/12/2021 6:46 AM

RbR wrote:

Regina?

Yes.

|

2/12/2021 9:13 AM

DirtDart wrote:

Last Braaap wrote:

Kortimus415 wrote:

Its probably an interchangeable part between the manufacturers. I'm just guessing that since KTM/Gas Gas/ Husky are so closely ...more

What do you mean? How could they all use the same part when KTM is from Austria, Husky is from Sweden, and GasGas is Spanish?

Did they somehow get a bad shipment at all of those factories?

|

2/12/2021 10:03 AM

Last Braaap wrote:

Kortimus415 wrote:

Its probably an interchangeable part between the manufacturers. I'm just guessing that since KTM/Gas Gas/ Husky are so closely ...more

DirtDart wrote:

What do you mean? How could they all use the same part when KTM is from Austria, Husky is from Sweden, and GasGas is Spanish?
...more

KTM owns both Gas Gas and Husky, it would only make sense in development to use some similar parts. Dont take my word for it though, I'm seriously only guessing

|

2/12/2021 10:37 AM

The only thing I do RECALL about my new FC450 is that it is one bad ass machine. Thanks for the heads up on this. I called the dealer and found out my chain is not suspect. I can still head out to the track today without this on my mind. Not a good thought to have as you’re approaching a jump. Could do big damage to bike and me if chain fails. thanks again.

|

2/12/2021 10:42 AM

Seems to be on the last of the shipped bikes. We were notified before the official recall and have been replacing chains on new units for about 2 weeks now.

|

2/12/2021 10:50 AM

Kortimus415 wrote:

DirtDart wrote:

...more

Kortimus415 wrote:

KTM owns both Gas Gas and Husky, it would only make sense in development to use some similar parts. Dont take my word for it ...more

Idk, i have it on good authority they are all 3 vastly different bikes

|

Alright Lunger, Let's Do It

2/12/2021 10:55 AM

DirtDart wrote:

...more

Kortimus415 wrote:

KTM owns both Gas Gas and Husky, it would only make sense in development to use some similar parts. Dont take my word for it ...more

Johnny Ringo wrote:

A quick google search shows other forums talking about many interchangeable parts between the bikes. I'm sure the chain in question is probably on all KTM/Gas Gas/Husky bikes

|

2/12/2021 12:07 PM

dcg141 wrote:

Seems to be on the last of the shipped bikes. We were notified before the official recall and have been replacing chains on ...more

Can you give us a little more detail? How can one identify if he has the good or the bad chain? Yeah, I know contact the dealer. But is it obvious if you have the bad chain?

|

Powerband in every gear !

2/12/2021 12:42 PM

DirtDart wrote:

...more

Kortimus415 wrote:

Johnny Ringo wrote:

😂😂😂🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

|

2/12/2021 1:10 PM

dcg141 wrote:

Seems to be on the last of the shipped bikes. We were notified before the official recall and have been replacing chains on ...more

FGR01 wrote:

Can you give us a little more detail? How can one identify if he has the good or the bad chain? Yeah, I know contact the ...more

One of the guys earlier in the thread said something about using the KTM website and your bikes VIN# to check if your bike is one that has the chain issues

|

2/12/2021 1:52 PM

In ktm usa you go under service and then under service and warranty and it will ask for your vin #.

|

2/12/2021 5:52 PM

DirtDart wrote:

Same source of supply.

KTM Group estimates the chain volume needed to cover all 3 brands and then they bulk buy from a single source of supply which would help with piece part pricing.

Precision roller chains are made in mass by a chain manufacturer. Taiwan, China, Japan, and sometimes Germany are common sources of supply for chain manufacturers. The chain manufacturer typically produces a huge spool of chain (sometimes 1000ft or more) and that spool is then sold to a chain supplier (Regina, DID, Renthal, etc). The chain supplier takes that large spool of chain and performs a cut-to-length operation at a secondary factory. Essentially, they are pressing a link out of the bulk spook to size it for the correct link count for the bike application. Once it’s cut to the correct link count, it is then packaged in a bag with a master link and sold to customers, in this case the OEM.

Each chain spool would have a lot number and the individual chains put on the bike at the factory would be traceable back to that spool(s) that are known to be defective. Typically there will be a barcode on the chain package. When the bike enters the work cell where the chain is put on, the assembler scans the Vin number of the bike then scans the barcode on the chain package before putting it on. This ties a particular chain to a Vin number. Today in the manufacturing world, almost every part is scanned and tied to the Vin so that when the bike leaves the end of the line, the manufacturer has traceability on essentially every component that was assembled to the frame. In industry, we call this the “digital twin” of the physical unit.

I would guess the chain manufacturer made a mistake on the component manufacturing such as bad heat treat of the side plates, pins, or bushings.

|

2/13/2021 2:17 AM

Nice "how they do it" info about the chain, but even more impressed by the lack of sarcasm detection ability shown in this thread Photo

|

2/13/2021 9:23 AM

Guess this means my chain is ok? Sort of think it should at least say something like “there’s no recall on this vin” or something? Checked and re checked my numbers. They’re correct.
Photo

|

2/13/2021 10:01 AM

313 SlowDown wrote:

Nice "how they do it" info about the chain, but even more impressed by the lack of sarcasm detection ability shown in this ...more

Agreed on all.

|